Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not necessarily when you consider the fact that most children's literature today with a fantasy element to it tend prefer the good fairy idea which can be seen in a lot of the fairy tale stories re-created for children, such as the Disney versions. Fairy tales were originally meant for adult enjoyment so many of the earlier tales contained a lot of sinister elements in them. Looking at the new fairy type pokemon that have already been revealed like Flabebe it looks like Pokémon will be following the Western take on fairies. So no bad fairies at least for now! (unfortunately).
All this talk of fairies and mischief is making me hope that there is a Kappa pokemon in this generation. You have no idea how excited I'd be about that.

What if, say, the ''Fairy'' type didn't necessarily mean ''tiny magical creatures''? I honestly think it points toward ''magically intoxicating beings'' especially in Xerneas's case. It is really beautiful, and to be honest, one of the best designed Pokemon yet. It doesn't breath ''Fairy'' to me. It breathes ''Magic''. I think the ''Fairy'' type means ''Magic'' not ''Cute Pixies from a Storybook''.

(Sorry for not posting lately. High School is a lot for a Freshman! I love all of you!^_^)
I'd disagree there are many kinds of fairies not all are particularly small. Most faries ranged. Generally from 4-6 feet that is before as ausgirl stated they became cuter, smaller, and less threatening so they could be more geared toward children. Also there isn't really anything magical about jiggly, mawhile, or azumaril at all.lol

Do we count golduck as a kappa mon? Lol i mean I guess would could let it slide in there but it doesn't ill/mischievous intentions like a kappa does. Also it doesn't look to me like a mon that wants to scare people and drag little kids to watery graves.

All this talk of fairies and mischief is making me hope that there is a Kappa pokemon in this generation. You have no idea how excited I'd be about that.

I'd disagree there are many kinds of fairies not all are particularly small. Most faries ranged. Generally from 4-6 feet that is before as ausgirl stated they became cuter, smaller, and less threatening so they could be more geared toward children. Also there isn't really anything magical about jiggly, mawhile, or azumaril at all.lol
Or a water nymph... which would be a water/fairy type.

I remember way back (maybe not way, but relatively old news) Masuda or some reliable source mentioned there are "over 700" Pokemon. With that phrasing, does anyone remember who mentioned that. I want to make sure of this, because if it's indeed was mentioned by a reliable source. The "over 700" phrasing is worrisome. Could it be true that we (relatively) have low (less than 100?!!) amount of Pokemon this generation? however this is just speculation based on the wording, that is assuming my memory serves right.
Considering there's 649 now, "over 700" could mean anywhere from 52 - 150 new pokes. Frankly, I think around 100 is the sweet spot. That's what they introduced for gen II and it felt just right. Similarly with gen IV at 108. I felt like gen III introduced too many and could have benefitted from cutting some of the numerous lame designs.

I think Gen V gets a pass because the games only had all-new pokes, so 150+ was perfect.

Last edited:
Considering there's 649 now, "over 700" could mean anywhere from 52 - 150 new pokes. Frankly, I think around 100 is the sweet spot. That's what they introduced for gen II and it felt just right. Similarly with gen IV at 108. I felt like gen III introduced too many and could have benefitted from cutting some of the numerous lame designs.

I think Gen V gets a pass because the games only had all-new pokes, so 150+ was perfect.
There's always a good mix of great pokemon mixed in with duds from each generation so it won't really make much of a difference if they have fewer pokemon in XY. Also we've seen a lot of older pokemon in the game leaks so I think that GF will probably just be experimenting with the new graphics and game mechanics instead of focussing on new designs, with the exception of fairy types and Mega evos.

Lombre and Ludicolo are Kappas.

Some of you guys have very broad definitions of what Fairy means. I mean, I don't think I've ever heard of Bigfoot/Sasquatch being classified as a fairy. Not everything that is paranormal/mythological can be classified as a fairy. By that logic Beheeyem should be Fairy typed, along with upwards of 50% of the current Pokedex. The term 'Fairy' is pretty well defined, and I'm pretty sure it excludes stuff like UFO's and Sasquatch.

Faeries are often mischievous and malicious so Dark/Fairy would be a type combination I'd look forward to.

Lombre and Ludicolo are Kappas.

Some of you guys have very broad definitions of what Fairy means. I mean, I don't think I've ever heard of Bigfoot/Sasquatch being classified as a fairy. Not everything that is paranormal/mythological can be classified as a fairy. By that logic Beheeyem should be Fairy typed, along with upwards of 50% of the current Pokedex. The term 'Fairy' is pretty well defined, and I'm pretty sure it excludes stuff like UFO's and Sasquatch.

Faeries are often mischievous and malicious so Dark/Fairy would be a type combination I'd look forward to.
Lombre I'll accept, but no way in hell is ludicolo a kappa.lol looks like a pineapple duck.lol

I was kinda scared that they were serious in that Direct video for a second.....

Just to clarify, Beheeyem is based on extraterrestrial beings--there is a difference.

There are some of you that are a bit confused as to why Bigfoot is classified as a fairy and what the actual definition of a fairy is. When people think of fairies, they think of small and cute sprites with wings. People will think of Tinker Bell, Navi, and the like. However, these cute creatures are actually, by definition and lore, pixies. Pixies and fairies are similar, but have different origins are are not the same species; kinda like the difference between trolls and goblins.

Fairies, on the other hand, are beings capable of supernatural or metaphysical powers via magic that are said to form many legends and myths we know today. Fairies are of this world--which is what sets them apart from extraterrestrial beings--but not always of this dimension, plane, or time. Fairies are capable of spreading joy, causing mischief, or completely destroying nations depending on the type and morale of the fairy. Many fairies are incapable of flight or do not have wings. Despite many stereotypes, many fairies do not look humanoid at all (Slenderman and Big Foot).

Lets look at the reason Big Foot and Slenderman are classified as fairies. Big Foot is a creature that lives in dense forests from urban legend that none of proven to exist. There have been claims that people have seen them, but there isn't any evidence to back this. In many folktales (depending on the culture), Big Foot is able to preform metaphysical feats such as jump higher than most animals would be able to. These abilities while sounding simple match up to many of the abilities the lesser known fairy abilities (Oberon's slaves and servants come to mind).

Slenderman, on the other hand, is a maleficent being that does resemble a humanoid figure at times. It uses supernatural powers to change its form, steal children, aggressively stalk victims, and even mutilate bodies. Would you like to know who else is able to do the exact same thing? Oberon himself! Oberon is the KING of fairies and is said to be very maleficent in his own right. He has had mortal men rape his own wife just so he could steal his wife's slaves.

I think we can expect about 120 pokemon. I doubt they'd reveal so many pokemon ahead of time if there were fewer than that, and it's sort of the average amount that we get.

There are some of you that are a bit confused as to why Bigfoot is classified as a fairy and what the actual definition of a fairy is. When people think of fairies, they think of small and cute sprites with wings. People will think of Tinker Bell, Navi, and the like. However, these cute creatures are actually, by definition and lore, pixies. Pixies and fairies are similar, but have different origins are are not the same species; kinda like the difference between trolls and goblins.
You keep saying things like this, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here who knows about Bean Sidhe and the Unseelie and Seelie Courts and yet finds classification of the chupacabra as a fairy to be an uncomfortably broad genericization, especially if you're trying to cover them with the same definition of the term that's being used for Fairy-type.

'fairy' type can refer to anything that has a basis in fairytales or mythology. That's why Mawile is a fairy type now. It's based on a japanese legend about a woman who's hair becomes an extra set of mouthes.
While true, there's more that Game Freak's using to narrow it down, else most of the legendary Pokemon would also be fairy type.

I was kinda scared that they were serious in that Direct video for a second.....

Just to clarify, Beheeyem is based on extraterrestrial beings--there is a difference.

Fairies, on the other hand, are beings capable of supernatural or metaphysical powers via magic that are said to form many legends and myths we know today. Fairies are of this world--which is what sets them apart from extraterrestrial beings--but not always of this dimension, plane, or time. Fairies are capable of spreading joy, causing mischief, or completely destroying nations depending on the type and morale of the fairy. Many fairies are incapable of flight or do not have wings. Despite many stereotypes, many fairies do not look humanoid at all (Slenderman and Big Foot).

Lets look at the reason Big Foot and Slenderman are classified as fairies. Big Foot is a creature that lives in dense forests from urban legend that none of proven to exist. There have been claims that people have seen them, but there isn't any evidence to back this. In many folktales (depending on the culture), Big Foot is able to preform metaphysical feats such as jump higher than most animals would be able to. These abilities while sounding simple match up to many of the abilities the lesser known fairy abilities (Oberon's slaves and servants come to mind).

Slenderman, on the other hand, is a maleficent being that does resemble a humanoid figure at times. It uses supernatural powers to change its form, steal children, aggressively stalk victims, and even mutilate bodies. Would you like to know who else is able to do the exact same thing? Oberon himself! Oberon is the KING of fairies and is said to be very maleficent in his own right. He has had mortal men rape his own wife just so he could steal his wife's slaves.
Once again, I have never heard of Bigfoot being classified as a fairy. Bigfoot may be mentioned alongside fairies, but I have never heard anyone classify it as such. One specific trait of fairies is that they are magical. Jumping high isn't exactly magical or metaphysical.

At any rate, fairies may come in various shapes and sizes but in Pokemon (being a children's game) Nintendo no doubt intends to present fairies in a form that is familiar to children. Most of the traits that you seem be looking for in Fairy types already belong to the Ghost type. I don't have any problems with Fairy being the magical cutesie type.

Lombre I'll accept, but no way in hell is ludicolo a kappa.lol looks like a pineapple duck.lol
Colosynth duck*

I can't help but think of the land, sea, sky concept akin to Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza representing those elements respectively, we have Xerneas (Land), Yvetal (Sky) and I suppose the 'Z' legend from the sea.
Unless of course if Gamefreak are taking the Origin mathematically speaking (graph 0), that Z legend may be very well located deep under the land (earth's core?) Would make sense seeing as Team Flare and perhaps a few others know what lies beneath the region of beauty, a creature hideous, or very well dangerous that may bring threat and ruin if it were let loose.
Just a thought.

AZ

I can't help but think of the land, sea, sky concept akin to Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza representing those elements respectively, we have Xerneas (Land), Yvetal (Sky) and I suppose the 'Z' legend from the sea.
Unless of course if Gamefreak are taking the Origin mathematically speaking (graph 0), that Z legend may be very well located deep under the land (earth's core?) Would make sense seeing as Team Flare and perhaps a few others know what lies beneath the region of beauty, a creature hideous, or very well dangerous that may bring threat and ruin if it were let loose.
Just a thought.

AZ
If Y is being used for up to represent Sky, the most logical thing for Z is to represent the Sea, actually, since only one dimension can represent Up/Down. (It's usually Y or Z, but since coordinate systems are arbitrary, not always!) And you're going to see repetition of mythical themes; while there's an entire world's worth of stuff to pull from, humans have historically been humans for all of known human civilization. There end up being a lot of parallels between cultures, at least at the broad strokes.

For example, Ky/Gr/Ra are kind of a repeat of the Warmth/Moisture/Sky pattern from the legendary birds and legendary beasts.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'd say Fairy is quite akin to Dragon. If it's a close enough resemblance, put it in. Most Dragons are based on lizards, but there are a few exceptions. I'd say the more powerful and aggressive mythological creatures go well with the Dragon type, while Fairy is for the bizarre, weird and cute. If it's from legends or fairytales, and it looks like it could beat you into a pulp, I'd wager it would be given the Dragon type rather than Fairy.

I'd say Fairy is quite akin to Dragon. If it's a close enough resemblance, put it in. Most Dragons are based on lizards, but there are a few exceptions. I'd say the more powerful and aggressive mythological creatures go well with the Dragon type, while Fairy is for the bizarre, weird and cute. If it's from legends or fairytales, and it looks like it could beat you into a pulp, I'd wager it would be given the Dragon type rather than Fairy.
Dragon's gotten... interesting. A number of dragons now deviate significantly from the "scaly monster" stereotype, between Altaria, Reshiram and Lati@s. Most notably Reshiram, since it undeniably has mammalian traits, while the bird-like traits of Altaria and Lati@s could be written off.

Ok... this is what's probably really happening over there.
"We need to retcon some fairies too. I'm thinking... gardevoir?"
"I suppose it's pretty uh... elegant.. dainty?"
"Yeah, that could work."
"How about Mawile?"
"Yeeeugh.... Are you sure?"
"Well I mean, it looks kinda fairy like."
"I guess..."
"Marill. Baboom."
"Why?"
"S'cute."
"Clefairy"
"Yeah!"
"Definitely."
"Why wasn't that the first one we said?"
"Can it be double fairy?"

Ok... this is what's probably really happening over there.
"We need to retcon some fairies too. I'm thinking... gardevoir?"
"I suppose it's pretty uh... elegant.. dainty?"
"Yeah, that could work."
"How about Mawile?"
"Yeeeugh.... Are you sure?"
"Well I mean, it looks kinda fairy like."
"I guess..."
"Marill. Baboom."
"Why?"
"S'cute."
"Clefairy"
"Yeah!"
"Definitely."
"Why wasn't that the first one we said?"
"Can it be double fairy?"

Wouldn't it make sense if Jigglypuff is normal/fairy and clefairy is pure fairy?

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Do not even mention anything that is not revealed officially in this thread. When we get confirmation that any leaks are legitimate, the moderators will start a new thread for spoilers. This thread is to remain spoiler free. I do not want peoples' experiences with the game ruined unless they choose to seek out the information themselves.

Really, I'm going with the hypothesis that Fairy-type = magic. Not necessarily cutemons or Pokemon that are based off of mythical non-dragons, but just Pokemon that have magical (not Psychic) powers.

Ghost/Fairy Mismagius anyone?

Do not even mention anything that is not revealed officially in this thread. When we get confirmation that any leaks are legitimate, the moderators will start a new thread for spoilers. This thread is to remain spoiler free. I do not want peoples' experiences with the game ruined unless they choose to seek out the information themselves.
Hey, I'm ok with the other posts(some mine) in this thread that was deleted because of spoiler/rumor/pictures, after all i infracted the rules....but this time i don't agree.

Many ppl here like to see rumors and this things...so i just told them that there is a new rumor(is this case a picture) of an evolution, so that they can SEARCH FOR THEMSELFS in another site. Didn't post pictures or nothing like that...

How is it spoiler to everyone that chespin and froakie will have an final evolution? Of course not, everyone knows that...i just said there's a new picture of if in the internet of an image in-game for those who want to see the rumor in a place out of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)