Pokémon you keep noncompetitively

I can't believe it! I love so much my shiny pokémon that it's impossible to me thinking to trade them on the GTS! In fact, when I'm not shiny hunting, my team is always composed only from shiny mons: I have a shiny sweet center (venusaur), a shiny mon with surf (relicanth), a shiny mon to steal heat scales (pachirisu), a shiny mon that I always keep with me (umbreon), a shiny mon with pokerus (noivern or others) and a lot of other shiny mons, as I have 95 shiny mons
I don't think very many people would want to give up a shiny they caught, the person above you aside obviously.

Among other things, I keep a Japanese Malamar I raised from an Inkay with Suction Cups for fishing/thieving purposes. Maybe one of these days I'll fish up a golden Luvdisc and replace the non-shiny one currently sitting in my PC gathering dust.

I can't believe it! I love so much my shiny pokémon that it's impossible to me thinking to trade them on the GTS! In fact, when I'm not shiny hunting, my team is always composed only from shiny mons: I have a shiny sweet center (venusaur), a shiny mon with surf (relicanth), a shiny mon to steal heat scales (pachirisu), a shiny mon that I always keep with me (umbreon), a shiny mon with pokerus (noivern or others) and a lot of other shiny mons, as I have 95 shiny mons
I don't think very many people would want to give up a shiny they caught, the person above you aside obviously.

Among other things, I keep a Japanese Malamar I raised from an Inkay with Suction Cups for fishing/thieving purposes. Maybe one of these days I'll fish up a golden Luvdisc and replace the non-shiny one currently sitting in my PC gathering dust.
lol it's really easy to catch shinies using the Pokeradar. Shiny Azurills and Porygons are cool and all but their best use is being traded for obscenely strong stuff like, idunno, a box full of Moltres. :P

If I had kept all of my shinies I'd probably have over 200. I never bothered to keep track.

Of course if I ever got a Shiny randomly just by walking around I'd definitely keep it. Just that I've never had that happen in my 500+ hours of gameplay over various games.

Other than my in-game team and utility Pokemon, I always keep shiny Pokemon I randomly find in the wild. A shiny you don't expect to find is really special somehow. I also always keep starter Pokemon I get from Wonder Trade that were obviously part of someone's in-game team. I feel a bit sad and sentimental when somebody throws away the Pokemon that's been with them since the beginning of their game, so I keep them to pamper them and give them love in Pokemon Amie.

I also have some Phanpys and Donphans inside my box because they're related to the first ever shiny I hatched. The sentimentality is strong in me.

Well, I keep a thing of two.

~ One of every pokemon, to begin with. Ya, all 718. Most of then come from nuzlocke runs or are shinies that I randomly found through the years.
~ Half of the Vivillon forms
~ One of each non-vivillon pokemon that has mutiples appearances/forms
~ One box filled with Synchronize Ralts of every non-neutral nature, plus a Trace Gardenvoir, to check abilities.
~ One box filled with 6iv dittos.
~ A gallade with taunt/Hypnosis/False Swipe/Mean Look, for capturing purposes
~ Pickup Linoon filled with HMs, plus pickup Diggersby and Phanpy.
~ Frisk+Thief noivern
~ Suction Cups Octillery
~ Sweet Scent Vespiqueen
~ Hermes, a Shiny Adamant 31/31/31/31/31/x Flame Body talonflame, my pride and joy
~ Random pokemon I got from wondertrade, with some kind of egg move
~ I am now working on getting every obtainable ribbon from 4th generation onwards on a single tyranitar. As of now, I'm RNG'in a ditto to breed him.

Edit: Forgot about a perfect Sheer Force Nidoking I keep for farming evolutive stones at the Super Training. Don't ask why nidoking, he just works for me.

Last edited:
And I also keep all forms of vivillon, a Pokemon with suction cups and a male sylveon with cute charm in order to find shiny mons that are very rare as females: starters and eevees

Every single pokémon i've obtained in ORAS, including event Diancie TT-TT

This is because I set the region settings horribly wrong (as my real country and city) which means i'm stuck with the update-less eShop.

Last edited:
I am very bad at releasing my Pokémon, even those who have no purpose (like my extra breeding stock). I tend to put what I don't need into my Bank, which is now half full of 4-5IV 'mons. I do plan on transferring them to my copy of X, Wonder Trading for a while, then transferring what I want off, then resetting the game to both release them and to start a new save file (the main purpose of X outside of trading...which is no longer an issue since I have Alpha Sapphire as well as Y).
I do have some that I won't release. Some are various utility 'mons. They include the Blastoise I used in Y since he is high level, has Pokérus, and has four spread moves, making him perfect for Horde Training. Another is a Venusaur my ex-girlfriend gave me. It is the other Pokémon I use for Horde Training since it has Sweet Scent and Pokérus. I also have various shinies that aren't good, such as my Sandshrew and my Ho-oh. I also have a box with every single Unown*. I also have the perfect Smeargle for catching wild Pokémon (Technician, Adamant, holding a Silk Scarf with the moves Spore, False Swipe, Soak, and Gastro Acid).
And this is just the stuff I have in Generation VI! I always keep playthrough Pokémon, I still have my original starter (Emily the Infernape), and almost every legendary (still haven't gotten around to Xerneas, Zygarde, Kyurem, Virizion, Landorus, Hoopa**, and Volcanion***).

*Twice. I had a decent number in Platinum and I had bought a used copy of Diamond that had the rest I needed. In Alpha Sapphire, I had managed to get the Mirage Spot with Unown, so I sat and caught each letter myself that night.
**I'm waiting for the US event.
*** Duh.

Last edited:
I have my Delphox and Yveltal on Y. They're not competitive in the slightest, but they're useful for grinding levels in Rotation Battles if the Blissey bases on AS are down.

I've promised myself to always keep the team I used in my favorite playthrough of X, Sylveon, Aerodactyl, Shimmer the Dragonite, Mr. Bubbles the Greninja, Nidoking, and Charizard. I love them all so much, all for sentimental reasons. Sylveon is my first level 100, Aerodactyl is the sweeper of the team who I love to use, Shimmer was my favorite up to evolution, where I felt really bad about it and wrote a poem, Nidoking is awesome looking, and Charizard... meh. I would let go of Charizard probably, don't care for him much.

I keep:
- The six I used to beat the E4
- Ditto, for breeding
- Gloom, for EV training
- Shroomish, for catching
- Anything I'm EV training at the moment
- Legendaries
- Cosplay Pikachu
- Anything I'm breeding
- Anything I'm using for contests (Marill, Venomoth)

-My Noctowl solely used for flying that reached Lv100 due to Exp Share
-Similarly, Pickup Diggersby with Cut, Rock Smash, and Dig. I love Pickup!
-4 perfect iv dittos. Hardy nature but still great!
-That Chester Chesnaught Shauna gave to me. (I really think she likes me! :P)
-My starter, of couse. Who releases their first parter?

-My Noctowl solely used for flying that reached Lv100 due to Exp Share
-Similarly, Pickup Diggersby with Cut, Rock Smash, and Dig. I love Pickup!
-4 perfect iv dittos. Hardy nature but still great!
-That Chester Chesnaught Shauna gave to me. (I really think she likes me! :P)
-My starter, of couse. Who releases their first parter?
I... I traded my Froakie right away in my last scramble run...

Ditto,Kadabra,Camerupt,Smeargle,Vileplume,Altaria,Crobat and all other HM and contest pokemons(Plusle,Aron,etc).Its difficult to find a good grass type in R/S/E except for Roselia.

Last edited:
I'd argue the Oddish family isn't that bad; nothing spectacular but... if you're REALLY desperate for a grass-type in Sapphire (hence no seedot) and you don't want to double up on Water-types (hence no lotad) and you didn't start with treecko... it's a lot of conditions but it works.

Also I end up keeping an entire collection of legendaries. Not even, like, really competitive; just a collection of all legendaries in numerical order... and KB if possible. And in fitting Poké Balls.

I'd argue the Oddish family isn't that bad; nothing spectacular but... if you're REALLY desperate for a grass-type in Sapphire (hence no seedot) and you don't want to double up on Water-types (hence no lotad) and you didn't start with treecko... it's a lot of conditions but it works.

Also I end up keeping an entire collection of legendaries. Not even, like, really competitive; just a collection of all legendaries in numerical order... and KB if possible. And in fitting Poké Balls.
And don't want to spend time looking for Shroomish in Petalburg Woods?

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I only really keep the following (excluding competitive pokes):
-Level 100 (which generally includes Pokemon I use in-game)
-Shinies
-Legendaries
-Anything I am breeding or need to
-Ditto
-Spore/Taunt/Soak/False Swipe Smeargle
-Other Smeargles I use for breeding egg moves onto Field egg group
-Unhatched eggs
-Battle Maison Pokemon

Breeding rejects get Wonder Traded, and then whatever I get from that goes in Pokemon Bank. Then, if I need a certain Pokemon, I'll check Pokebank to see if I have it and then it gets added to my breeding box. I have about 51 boxes full on Pokemon Bank, though... It's getting out of hand.

I keep a Servine with Eviolite. I thought he was the best-looking out of the Snivy line, and he's fun to take to Mirage Islands.

Lots of my Pokemon are non competitive. I keep them casually. But they were the ones I used while I was having fun during the games I enjoyed so much, so they're a remembrance of that. I still have my first Pokemon in the box, and one of the first Pokemon I caught in the wild, Flashion the Luxray.

Since 4th gen I always keep around a Tropius/Bibarel pair. Together they can learn all of the HM moves that have ever existed, and if a generation has less than 8 HM moves needed You can give them stuff like Sweet Scent and Dig respectively.

Tropius:
-Cut
-Defog
-Flash
-Fly
-Headbutt
-Rock Smash
-Secret Power
-Strength
-Sweet Scent

Bibarel:
-Cut
-Dig
-Dive
-Headbutt
-Rock Climb
-Rock Smash
-Secret Power
-Strength
-Surf
-Waterfall
-Whirlpool

They're the Dynamic Field Move Duo, only missing minor stuff that doesn't matter at all(Teleport, Soft-Boiled, Milk Drink, and Chatter)

Also have a bunch of shiny Pokemon I got all the way back in Sapphire. A Linoone(caught as a Zigzagoon) and a Ninjask, Shedinja, Nintales, and Sceptile(Bred for in rapid succession, I was REALLY lucky in that game). Latter got a Floatzel in Pearl for a Shiny Grass/Fire/Water core. Their IVs and Natures suck but I still always go out of my way to transfer them to the newest game. Also Sceptile got a mega evolution, transferring him to my AS was a no-brainer.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)