Poke-Habits

I save up all my rare candies and then use them right before the champion battle so I can feel powerful and kick their butt.
I kinda do the same thing, except I don't necessarily use them every playthrough. I save my rare candies until the Elite Four, then distribute them amongst my team if I feel I need the boost.

I always reset the game every time a Pokemon dies. It directly gets in the way of my ability to enjoy Pokemon games, but I cannot stop and I need therapy.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I have a bad habit of having 3 or 4 team members before I get to the second gym. While in Pokémon X it's kinda understandable considering the distance between the first and second gyms is literally a third of the fucking game, it often means that my teams consist of a starter+a large number of very mediocre Pokémon. That said, I don't think this makes the games particularly unenjoyable, because by far my favorite in-game team was one of my Heartgold builds where my team was Typhlosion+Pidgeot+Butterfree+Furret+Bellossom+Poliwrath (the team I beat Lance with can be seen below), which was a huge amount of fun to play through the game with and made is a nice challenge given the general low viability of my team.
Blast (Typhlosion) (M) @ Charcoal
Ability: Blaze
Quirky Nature
Level: 45
- Fire Blast
- Flamethrower
- Dig
- Rock Smash

Windy (Pidgeot) (M) @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Keen Eye
Rash Nature
Level: 46
- Fly
- Return
- Roost
- U-turn

Dusty (Furret) (M) @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Run Away
Hasty Nature
Level: 46
- Return
- Thunder
- Shadow Claw
- Iron Tail

Bugsy (Butterfree) (F) @ Silver Powder
Ability: Compound Eyes
Serious Nature
Level: 47
- Stun Spore
- Sleep Powder
- Psybeam
- Bug Buzz

Sakura (Bellossom) (F) @ Miracle Seed
Ability: Chlorophyll
Modest Nature
Level: 44
- Sleep Powder
- Sunny Day
- Solar Beam
- Sludge Bomb

Spiral (Poliwrath) (M) @ Mystic Water
Ability: Water Absorb
Bold Nature
Level: 49
- Waterfall
- Surf
- Ice Beam (the game corner's really addictive O_O)
- Focus Punch
Poliwrath was my lord and saviour during that fight like holy shit just putting in the time to obtain the Ice Beam TM it allowed me to manhandle him once I'd gotten rid of Gyara

One other habit of mine is to not grind. Like, while with the team above I was kinda forced to grind given just how lacking that team is, generally speaking I get to the champion and am about 10 levels below them, and this can often make the elite 4 and champion really difficult to beat (although gen 6 Steven was still rlly easy relative the elite 4 due to his fondness for Giga Impact backfiring on him).

Last edited:

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I have a habit of only ever training 3 to 4 team members even for E4.
That slightly changed in XY due to the EXP share, but only around 4 of my team members are truly active.

I always have a ghost type.

Since we're talking about pokemon we train/keep...

I always keep my starter.

I try not to have too much of one type on my team. I make exceptions though. Like if the pokemon in question only share one type. For example, I used a Goodra in my Y game, and later on caught a Noibat because they only share one type. And I really wanted it.

I try to not have too many pokemon too early. I like to have my catches be spread out.

I always reset the game every time a Pokemon dies. It directly gets in the way of my ability to enjoy Pokemon games, but I cannot stop and I need therapy.
Do you happen to play Fire Emblem by any chance? haha

Anyway, I just noticed that ever since R/S/E I always catch a Skitty whenever I have the chance to. I did it in BW2, I did it in XY and I obviously did it as well in ORAS; every. time. ( Pretty sure the only reason I don't remember catching one in HGSS/DPP is because it is not available til post-game). And until very recently I hadn't even noticed this pattern. If I see a Skitty I throw a Pokeball at it. I realised this after I started my latest Pokemon X playthrough, as soon I got to route 4 ( where skitty can be found ) I got this weird deja vu and then it hit me.

I tend to keep my starter as well, and I always make sure to have a team of six by the 8th Gym at the latest. I tend to prefer a Fire-Water-Grass core in my party as well.

I tend to keep my starter as well, and I always make sure to have a team of six by the 8th Gym at the latest. I tend to prefer a Fire-Water-Grass core in my party as well.
Yeah, I get my full team in by the Elite Four. I try to have at least five pokemon by the 8th gym.

I usually don't like to have an open slot in my party by the seventh gym, unless i know something really good is coming up. (dieno in pokemon black had me with an open space)

i double save a lot, because sometimes while I'm saving i'll look away from the screen and forget if i saved.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I have a pokemon go habit of tapping the ball everytime it shakes.
I actually either press the directional pad the same direction the ball shakes (going with the flow) OR against it (like I'm fighting against their attempt to break out) depending how I feel my catches are going. And just before the ball would capture I press "A".

"You know it doesn't do anythin..."

IT FEELS LIKE IT DOES!

Do you happen to play Fire Emblem by any chance? haha

Anyway, I just noticed that ever since R/S/E I always catch a Skitty whenever I have the chance to. I did it in BW2, I did it in XY and I obviously did it as well in ORAS; every. time. ( Pretty sure the only reason I don't remember catching one in HGSS/DPP is because it is not available til post-game). And until very recently I hadn't even noticed this pattern. If I see a Skitty I throw a Pokeball at it. I realised this after I started my latest Pokemon X playthrough, as soon I got to route 4 ( where skitty can be found ) I got this weird deja vu and then it hit me.
Other than attempting Awakening on multiple occasions and rage-quitting after realizing time after time just how badly I suck at strategy games, nah, haven't really played Fire Emblem. I had this habit before I even played Awakening though, so that can't be what's doing it.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
When I got bored soft resetting a Hidden Power Ice Zapdos in Fire Red, I got in the habit of pointing my finger strait up and wagging in sync with the Pokeball's rocking. For the click, I point down.

In Nuzlokes, I avoid using Pokemon if they have a nature that reduces their preferred attack stat unless the stat insanely high like Darmanitan's Attack or the Pokemon is Shiny.

I always save up all my Rare Candies for use right before the Elite Four. I know a lot of people do this, but it backfired in my face today.

So I'm playing every main series Pokemon game chronologically for Sun and Moon hype, and I just got finished with Red version. After beating the Champion, I realized I forgot to use any of my candies. I was pissed.

It didn't really matter, because my Hypno (which I dubbed Bill Cosby) and my Jolteon were able to sweep everything, despite being up to 20 levels lower than their opponent.

Whenever I play any pokemon game, my first tendency is to pick the grass starter.

I used to get a full team before gym 3 when i was younger, but these days I normally keep 2 pokemon until the fifth or sixth gym (resulting in ridiculously overlevelled Pokémon. I'm looking at you, my level 29 bayleef before beating Falkner in Pokémon Crystal)

Apart from that, I enjoy going out of the traditional way of completing the game, i.e beating Erika, Koga, and Blaine before challenging Lt. Surge in Fire Red, completing Mahogany town before Cianwood City in Pokemon Crystal, etc.

Lastly, I almost can never bear nuzlocke deaths. "That Pokemon died from Poison outside the battle, it doesn't count!" "It died due to confusion, it doesn't count!" "Using one revive won't matter. Just one. Just one..." And stuff like that.

I have a habit of usually keeping my Pokemon at even levels, with my starter strictly being 2 levels above the rest of the team (which are at the same level).

Another one being that I raise my Pokemon in the order I caught them, meaning that the starter gets levelled up first, then my second Pokemon, and so on.

Holding L and R while the pokeball is shaking, because I was told that it increases the chance of the Pokemon being caught when I was like 10. Of course I know it was just a rumor now, but it's just a habit now.

- Never use HM slaves. I distribute my HMs evenly.
- Hitting A in time with the shakes of a Poké Ball. I know it doesn't do anything, but I did in in B2 and now it's habit.
- I'll usually catch a bug in the early game, then ditch it by the second or third gym. Most recent: replacing Beedrill with Amaura in X.

Whenever i catch a bird pokémon, i always name it "Birdy". [except for the 3 legendary birds!]

Before even starting the game, i make sure to always make the text speed fast.

I spend so much time exploring the beginning areas of the game (towns, routes, and forests). I try to find all the items and capture all the Mons on the route. And I usually end up with a full party by the second town. Perhaps it's all the grinding I do, but I find myself burnt out and quite disinterested in the late game areas.

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
- I always move Egg Moves to the fourth slot in a move set. (I rarely have more than one on any mon I use.)
- Every in-game playthrough from Plantinum onward has been done entirely with either hatchlings or in-game trades from another game; I never use my chosen starter or in-game captures except as trading chips.
- I keep 13 of all bitter healing items in my Bag at all times, until it becomes economical to store more. I then pump it up to 50, then 250, 500, and finally 600.

If I do multiple playthroughs of the same Pokemon game (or pair of games), I'll do my best to avoid using the same Pokemon as before (starters don't count in this restriction).

That being said, it's sometimes too difficult to avoid using certain Pokemon, such as the early-game bird (e.g. Starly in all the Gen IV saves I had, or Taillow in the RSE saves except the last one... where I used Wingull for a second time) but I still try nonetheless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)