Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm a few pages back about Zoroark, when Raikou was fighting Zoroentei, the sprites moved every screen. Seems to be like there are more advanced move orientations and possible movement of sprites besides just shifting the place it is in...

You say that first, but wait and see you grow into that Pokemon ;)

Just like what happened with the 4th Generation. We thought Bronzong was weird and everyone was going to quit Pokemon, but people started making jokes about Bronzong because we grew into Pokemon like Bronzong, like "Ding-Dong the Bronzong is dead"
I still don't like Bronzong...:P

A few pages back we also talked about the shifting sprites. Seems like the sprites are actually going to move, instead of just jiggling in place occasionally. At least, that's what everyone hoping for.

Good, I hated thinking about what they would look like IRL. Just imagine watching a Rattata spinning around without moving any part of its body. God. I can't stop.

I find this odd:

And then

Why is one image showing the entire sprite in the middle of the platform, but the other the same format as the past generations?

And if you look at this one:

I think that text on the bottom of the screen shot is probably the text box....

I guess that could explain that.....Do you mean like the camera actually moving around the battle screen?

That would also explain why the Raiku sprite in the picture above looks bloated and pixely....

I guess that could explain that.....Do you mean like the camera actually moving around the battle screen?

That would also explain why the Raiku sprite in the picture above looks bloated and pixely....
Seems so. The text box seems to be the standard "What will Raikou do?" thing.
I guess the HP bars vamoose during the attack animations.

Seems so. The text box seems to be the standard "What will Raikou do?" thing.
I guess the HP bars vamoose during the attack animations.
It will be weird looking at no text box....The HP bars have been disappearing during battle animations so you can properly enjoy them.

I wonder how long these move choices and actions will really take.
As long as it doesn't get to 12-20 seconds long. If that long, it will be tiring to watch the animation, and GF probably knows this.

What I hope they fix is when you turn off the animations to try and save time w/ Chaining Shinnies, etc. is that there is a pause when you use an attack, and you end up waiting just as long as you would the animations on. They need to state "Raikou attacked", show Zoroark's HP drop, than move to the next attack/turn w/o a pause when the animations are off.

And seeing how much work they invested, there might not be an option to turn the graphics off.

It'd be kinda funny if they didn't allow us to turn off the animations for that reason. I think it'll be nice having the whole screen open for the new fancy moving sprites and possible dynamic camera movement. That's probably why the text box is see-through as well, so that you can see the back sprite of your pokemon even when not attacking.

And for animation time, just hope it's not like the old Surf animation.

I wonder how long these move choices and actions will really take.
That's probably my biggest nitpick about the fourth generation. Especially Diamond/Pearl. The battle animations just gotten TOO fancy. It takes forever whenever you smack something with a overly fancy attack like Leaf Storm to only watch the health bar of the bulky pink blob start to slowly drop. Don't even get me started on the slow 'post turn' effects like Leftovers.

TLDR: Gamefreak should speed things up just a bit like they did the first few generations.

I reckon this new graphics, the large battle arena, would be better to play on with the Dsi XL, with its large screen? What do you think?

I just hope that you can turn off the animation in Wifi, it would be horrible to just keep watching this in a stall team
Sandstorm, Toxic damage, Leftovers for both, + The Battle Animations!
If they take long, I might have to put in my sig, no stall!
I like battles fast paced, and if the moves arent fast, then I lose tempo, and it then doesnt seem fun

http://www.pokemon-sp.jp/news-sp/20100515_01.html
Looking at Raikou vs Entei, I speculate the guise provided by Zorua's and Zoroark's Illusion ability during switch-in will be like that of your in-game rival picking the Starter Pokémon stronger than yours.

Possible tell-tale signs of Pokémon under the effects of Illusion.
1. A Pokémon switching onto Stealth Rock that does not inflict the right amount of damage you thought it would (eg Charizard not taken the full 50% damage).
2. An unpopular or NU Pokémon appearing as a counter to your Pokémon (eg rare Mespirit attempting to stop your Uxie).

Clever use of Illusion however will give rise to new mindgames for your opponent;
Your Choice Scarf Gengar just KOed enemy Infernape holding Choice Scarf with Shadowball.
The opponent responds by sending out Alakazam, who gets injured by Stealth Rock damage, leaving the possible hold item - Focus Sash, out of the equation.
Now why has he sent out Alakazam on my Gengar? He clearly knows I'm faster than him. Does it have Choice Scarf or Kasib Berry? Or is it Zoroark with Pursuit (speculation >_>)?

Edit: Just realised I repeated what's been already discussed a few pages back.

Why doesn't Gamefreak have the hp bar move while the animations are on? Would save a lot of time instead of pointlessly looking at the hp bar gradually move after the attack animation finishes.

Also, please make that hp bar move faster.

If we make the HP bar faster, then poor Shedninja will go down in a millisecond!
Though its worth it, if we see that Pink Blob out of my face quicker

@Tony: So your speculation would be that Illusion, takes its appearance of a pokemon, but it still keeps its moves, stats and stuff. That is awesome!
This will revolutionise the metagame!
Now I cant wait even more for gen 5!

I reckon this new graphics, the large battle arena, would be better to play on with the Dsi XL, with its large screen? What do you think?

I just hope that you can turn off the animation in Wifi, it would be horrible to just keep watching this in a stall team
Sandstorm, Toxic damage, Leftovers for both, + The Battle Animations!
If they take long, I might have to put in my sig, no stall!
I like battles fast paced, and if the moves arent fast, then I lose tempo, and it then doesnt seem fun
It would be cool to have the weather effects stay on completely during battle and just disappear once the duration is up, along with the whole "the rain stopped" or "the sandstorm subsided."

IMO DP was horrible because of how slow the game was, platinum was faster so its fine, HGSS was very damn fast, everything was fast, i expect B/W to be fast too.

I find this odd:

And then

Why is one image showing the entire sprite in the middle of the platform, but the other the same format as the past generations?
For the Fire attacking, it looks like the flamethrower animation was just starting, while in the Grass attacking the Leaf Storm was hitting the target, maybe the sprite was pushed back by the attack?

For the Fire attacking, it looks like the flamethrower animation was just starting, while in the Grass attacking the Leaf Storm was hitting the target, maybe the sprite was pushed back by the attack?
That's what i was thinking. In the past, there have been slight recoils of your pokemon when hit but nothing that drastic. Maybe it moves back farther the more powerful the move is?

If we make the HP bar faster, then poor Shedninja will go down in a millisecond!
Though its worth it, if we see that Pink Blob out of my face quicker
I, for one, hope it shows how much HP the enemy lost in another way, like in Soul Calibur (SCIII, at least), where pieces of the green health bar turn red and fall off, with the size of the piece corresponding to the damage it represents. It would also make multi-hit attack animations a lot faster; imagine Weavile using Fury Swipes, and just going hog-wild on the enemy while chunks of its HP drop out of its bar.

Of course, nobody really cares about multi-hit moves, especially Fury Swipes, but hey, they're probably the slowest moves in the game right now, so speeding them up to the current speed of Flamethrower shows how awesome my idea is. =P

I think showing the HP loss during the move animation instead of after would be a good idea. It would speed up battles, and be more realistic like. ^Fury Swipes would cut off HP, while moves like Flamethrower would lose HP to however long the animation is.

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Agreeing with a new animation for the HP so I don't have to wait forever to watch something with high HP go down.

But anyway, I'm interested in how Illusion works, mainly how Zoroark is going to act like other Pokemon and how it's controlled. I'm not sure how it'll work competitively so I'm really looking forward to seeing the details.

I'm a fan of the new trainers, and the new starters seem better than a few days ago... For the Pokemon, that's how it seems to always happen though. The trainers... Not so much. The last groups I didn't like, these actually look like they wouldn't break down two weeks into being on their own.

Also, I'm not sure gen 5 would be a good thing. As it is, I feel the current metagame is on the edge of how many powerful threats there can be and still have good balance. Teams struggle to cover all threats satisfactorily, but it can be just about done. Add a bunch more Pokemon and I think a team of 6 will never be able to handle everything, making pretty much all battles a coin flip based on who happens to carry what their opponent can't deal with.
This, my friends, is what worries me. The metagame might simply degrade into "which physical/special/mixed sweepers do I want?" Blissey and co won't be able to handle the many threats presented in 5 generations of battling. It's just not possible. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)