Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol. Now that I see the entire section of Pokemon Sunday, I noticed a few things....

I think the region is a bunch of separate islands, as all they are showing is that one town w/ several docks near the edge of it w/ a large boat...

Bacon (the pig) and the Sea Otter's evos are affected by their tail/shell respectively....I mainly say this b/c they point out these parts....
I'm not sure you should read too much into that. I think they were just stating their opinion on how cute they think those features are.
They've played a card game and stopped to single out a card not because it was a new card, just because they they thought the artwork was particularly cute.

My first post in this thread so I didn't READ everything that was mentioned above me , so If this is mentioned already than so be it...

Anyway what I want to talk about are the starter types , I'm pretty sure that their evolutions WILL have a combo type , what are your opinions about that?

(Please use the types we know so far only)

Tsutaja:"The Grass Snake" Pokemon , from the word "snake" I'm pretty sure his final evolution would be Grass/Poison

Pokabu"The Fire Pig" Pokemon , I can't say much here but I'm sure he wont be Fire/Fighting(Thank goodness)....Maybe Fire/Psychic?

Mijumaru"The Sea Otter"Pokemon , to be honest the only thing I can think of is Water/Ice...

So what do you guys think:P?
Snakes aren't necessarily poisonous. In fact, evolutionary-speaking venomous snake actually came very late on the evolutionary time scale, only occurred ~30mya. I'm still hoping for a boa constrictor (Grass/Steel!) or a Quetzalcoatl (Grass/Electric)

A few people here talked about the pig having Fire/Ground due to most Ground type having tremendous amount of HP. Fire/Dark is also a possibility due to its coloring.

Many people predicted mijumaru to be Water/Ice (to their disappointment), but seeing as Piplup never turned out to be Water/Ice, I don't see why our favorite otter has to get an Ice secondary typing. I'm thinking Water/Rock (Based on the shell) or Water/Fighting (move over Poliwrath.)

Snakes aren't necessarily poisonous. In fact, evolutionary-speaking venomous snake actually came very late on the evolutionary time scale, only occurred ~30mya. I'm still hoping for a boa constrictor (Grass/Steel!) or a Quetzalcoatl (Grass/Electric)

A few people here talked about the pig having Fire/Ground due to most Ground type having tremendous amount of HP. Fire/Dark is also a possibility due to its coloring.

Many people predicted mijumaru to be Water/Ice (to their disappointment), but seeing as Piplup never turned out to be Water/Ice, I don't see why our favorite otter has to get an Ice secondary typing. I'm thinking Water/Rock (Based on the shell) or Water/Fighting (move over Poliwrath.)
Well yes , it's true that not all snakes are poisonous but if not /Poison , then what? I just thought of in general , "Poison" just fits "Snakes" , I can't think of another type but yeah this is just a speculation.

As for the fire starter , I agree to Fire/Ground because the pure crazy forces pigs have , he MUST learn Outrage D:

I have nothing to say with Mijumaru he looks so weird that I can only say Water/Ice.

I'm digging all of the new stuff. The sprite animation is really awesome.

One thing I notice, all the attacks they showed are all special, none was physical. Maybe I'm looking too much into it, but maybe physical attack animation will be different.....

My thoughts on the starters:

My first impression of the starters was that their designs were horrible, by far the worst of all starters. After a while, though...I still think the're the worst starters, but I'm growing to appreciate them slowly. Tsutaja is the only one I remotely like, so I suppose I'll be going grass for the 3rd generation in a row. *Must use reptiles.*

Both Tsutaja and Pokabu certainly have potential for their final forms though. I'm hoping tsutaja either goes half flying into an eastern dragon type snake or a quetzacoatyl since unfortunetely fighting looks unlikely for him. I could also see psychic due to his cerebral appearance and almost non existant limbs making him look very special oriented. But I really would rather him be physical to differentiate from Sceptile. Also, I will be so ticked if it becomes grass/poisen. Tsutaja shall be the snake to break the cycle!

Pokabu could become a flaming boar/warthog with flames shooting from the nostrils, and like most people here, I suspect he will be a bulky half ground, dark, or possibly psychic with stats like 110/110/85/80/75/75.

As for the ugly otter/clown/snowman/thing, I am of the opinion that it's shell is seperate, and it will either become water/ice or water/psychic with higher stats on the special side.

Mijumaru"The Sea Otter"Pokemon , to be honest the only thing I can think of is Water/Ice...
I could see it being Water/Normal too (most fuzzy pokemon are Normal). That would be a bit of a letdown though....

these animations and angle changes are REALLY nice! I had figured angle changes would be there based on the still screenshots we had, but the animations were a welcome surprise. I'm really glad that battle speed wasn't slowed to accommodate the new animations, which was a concern of mine. if anything battles seem to move faster, but that may be because they are overall more dynamic and interesting. the overworld is a lot more interesting and dynamic too, which personally I find more exiting then the battles. the possibilities for new field interaction could make trudging though the new region the most exciting between gens so far. I'm definitely excited about this game now.

and Bacon is still my favourite new starter. in fact, I like them all; these are definitely the best starters since Gen 2. I was on the edge with the Otter, but it's battle animations changed that, and made it look much more appealing to me. Grass just looks like a douche, which is hilarious and I love it. Bacon has a simple design and reminds me of the designs in Gen 2, which is great. it also apparently has high HP, which I like in a Pokemon :D

I'm just imagining how crazy Crobat's animation sprite will look like. It will be fluttering its wings like mad. The same goes for Yanma/Yanmega.

Although, I'm excited to see the flames on Typhlosion and Rapidash and Muk's overall sliminess.

This game is turning out to be really really really cool. I love the animations, as basic as they are. It just makes every little thing a bit better and more enjoyable. I cannot wait for this thing to come out!

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
the zoroark in the battle footage is female and the zoroark in the zorua vs. zoroark screenshots is too
also smugleaf his attack animation makes him look pretty pro, putting his arms over each other like he doesnt give a shit

Jesus Christ, the animations were horrible.

It looked like the animals were humping the ground or something. It didn't seem realistic at all. Maybe I'm being too harsh, but their little movements were horrible.
I agree. I don't like the idle animations much.

Of course most RPGs have them, and I'll probably get used to them. But with over 500 Pokemon to animate, I guarantee there'll be at least one in the final release with an absolutely retarded animation.

This roar is different from its Gold/Silver/Crystal cry, meaning that GameFreak has, so it would seem, updated some Pokémon's cries for the first time since 1996.
They could so easily screw this. I prefer the older screechy stuff to the new stuff. Ironically, the older stuff sounds more realistic - perhaps because I can imagine what it might 'really' sound like. The new cries just seem like sound effects that no creature could produce.
On the other hand, what Nack linked to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl2WEesUUMs does sound good. So revamped cries like that, good. Revamped cries like 4th Gen Poke cries, bad.

I could see it being Water/Normal too (most fuzzy pokemon are Normal). That would be a bit of a letdown though....
Water/Normal STAB rocks. It's one of the hardly-resisted combos. Resisted by (Water,Grass,Dragon)/(Steel,Ghost). Currently that's Empoleon, Dialga, and Giratina (and of course there's Shedinja).
Not so good presently on a specially-oriented Pokemon, but I doubt the otter is going to be specially oriented, and anyway they could make a new, powerful, widespread special normal attack.

Eiganjo

So who did buy all the stroopwafels?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

this would make one hell of a final form for the grass starter, it's only fanart but it looks really nice :D

I think it's cool. The battles are a lot faster and a lot more fluid and I imagine they're still working on it for the most part. I appreciate that they can't make 3D models because they'll end up like shit polygons from the N64, so this is a way to capture the moving feel of the stadium games without having to go all out 3D.

The biggest two problems this game will suffer from both derive from the fact that the new generation shares the same console as the older generation, namely:
1) Why couldn't they have done this in Diamond and Pearl?
2) Why couldn't they have saved this for the 3DS and then added a bunch of even cooler shit?

Most Pokémon generations last a couple of years, so unless Gamefreak are planning to keep supporting the DS even when the new console comes out, I'm pretty worried that this will be nothing more than a stop gap generation. D;

Also someone gave me a pretty cool idea about Zoroark. As I mentioned we've only seen it transform into the beasts so it's back story could be linked with them and they are the only form it takes. However, even though I typically hate event Pokémon, Zoroark could be released in many different events as many different Pokémon. For example, this Zoroark randomly transforms into one of the three dogs, a different Zoroark could transform into the birds or the lake guardians or Latios/Latias depending on how it was released. I guess this means it would be banned on wi-fi but I think it could potentially be really cool.

Also I keep thinking about how much work Gamefreak have to do with each new generation. There's no way they can simply leave out any Pokémon, so any major changes to the game has to be incorporated and designed 500 (hopefully 600) times. It's insane.

I've been playing Soul Silver all morning and I feel like I'm living in the past. I'm sick of static Pokémon, I'm sick of animations taking too long, I want to play this game right now x[

Pokemon in D\P\Pt\HG\SS are humping the ground over, and over again.
At least in Gen 5, they'll move around a little bit more fluidly but with the limitations of a handheld.

A fun little quirk is that the background is non-static when not in attacking animations. There are little color changes near the top during the starter battles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)