Pokemon, comicbook-style

Hi all! There's a project I've been running through my mind and, lately, working on, and I'm looking for some people to contribute artistically. I realize I'm not the most active member here but I'm working on something which (I think) is pretty neat.

Basically what I have been designing is a Pokemon battle simulator (i.e. port of Shoddy Battle) made using Flash. What will differentiate it from Shoddy though, is a richly drawn and animated battle environment in the style of superhero comic books. I'm also thinking of adding gameplay elements outside of the core battle mechanics as a way of enticing less competitively-oriented players while keeping the integrity of the core "Shoddy" experience.

So, a couple of things I'm asking here:

1) Are there any artists who are interested and willing to design and draw environments, Pokemon, UI, or attacks (these will be animated)?

2) Have questions about any aspect of the game? Feel free to ask here, or by PM or MSN.

I sincerely hope that this post is acceptable and that people find this a worthwhile and exciting project. From the amazing talent and creativity I see in both Smeargle's Studio and the CAP projects, I feel that this project can become a reality and success!

Resources:

Random one-off shot of Parasect using Hydro Pump against Electrode...?

Mini sample of style (Flash):
http://files.pokecombat.net/swf/graphics-demo.swf

I'd actually be interested. I can draw Pokemon, and possibly environments. But tell me, will the Pokemon be drawn exactly as they're shown in the anime and whatnot, or will we be given some artistic liscence?

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Count me in, but first I'll send you some pics. I can draw Fakemon all day and some real pokemon, but some like Dialga I can't draw.

Glad to hear you're interested, Fuzzberry and Arcticblast! I'd say the Pokemon images would be fairly close to the "official" renditions of them, while allowing for reasonable artistic license.

I highly recommend checking out DougJustDoug's art thread -- it has great examples of well-justified stylistic decisions in his renditions of various Pokemon.

I'd also like to mention that several poses need to be drawn for each Pokemon - ones for standing, fainting, attacking various ways, etc., so there would be a lot of drawing to do.

One way or another, I am IN. I love drawing Pokemon. If it's really needed, I can draw almost exactly like the originals. The examples in my art thread are just me taking mucho creative liberty. Just tell me where to start. =D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)