Pokemon Crimson and Cobalt Project

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

My Shiny thread got me thinking, and maybe I don't have the spare change to commission an artist right now, but that doesn't mean I haven't been dragging my feet with the issue when Smogon has so many wonderful and helpful artists.

The idea is to design approximately 100 Pokemon for the fictional Chugoku region. As the name suggests, it'd be a large foreign land with foreign Pokemon. I've come up with 64 Pokemon so far, some of which I'm fine tuning so I'm not gonna release all my ideas at once. But if you'd like to pitch in just post and reserve a Pokemon.

I've commissioned art quite a bit, and as I'm no artist I know the value of giving a little artistic liberty. If you are working on a Pokemon, please talk with me about some of your ideas. Finished pictures will be displayed in the OP and credited.

EDIT:
Just to clarify, I'm looking for drawings and not sprites. Sprites can come later if there is enough interest.

The Starters

Clubud/Dionesaur/Anlkovenus
Grass/Dark
The Trap Pokemon

Based on an Ankylosaur and a Venus Flytrap, Anklovenus is a monsterous dark green dinosaur with a large venus flytrap for a tail looming over it (like a scorpion's tail). Not only that, but the flytrap is open and it has an evil looking face (use Chinese demons as a reference). In its Clubud stage, the tail is just a plant bud while Dionesaur has developed the trap but it doesn't have a face yet. Of course each evolution is also bigger and less cute than its predecessor. Like I said, I can imagine a grass dinosaur as dark green but if you have a better color feel free to experiment.

Holupita/Zealodaos/Paliulfr
Fire/Psychic
The Shield Wolf Pokemon

This is easily my favorite design, so I may be picky about it. The biggest difficulty is gonna be making sure that the Pokemon's design isn't too busy. Holupita is a cute little wolf cub. Its primary color should be either black or white, with its secondary color being red. I would combine all three if I could, but we're adding another color in the next evolution. Zealodaos is an adult sized wolf, but now it has psychically projected shields and shoulder mounted blades (like a blade liger). Typically these projections would be pink, but color them whatever looks best if that doesn't. The shields won't totally encase his body, but will add bits of plating. With Paliulfr, my original intention was to make it bipedal and carrying a psychic Chinese Dao in each hand. This has lost its appeal to me over time, with a large worg dropping the shoulder blades and gaining a big ol Dao in its mouth. But the appeal of the bipedal wolf is that you could put a big traditionally shaped shield on its chest to really drive home the "Shield Wolf" idea. Whatever, draw what looks best.

Unnamed Beta Fighting Fish Line
Water/Fighting
The Master Pokemon

You know, I didn't have any ideas for this Pokemon behind the Beta Fighting Fish animal until now, but then I thought, "Fighting, Chinese concepts, I want this to look like Gen from Street Fighter!" So its a fish with feet (like Swampert), but this final evo has like a beard, a really pissed off expression. Betas have these really cool looking fins and you could use them to make the beard, and to simulate the sleeves hanging off of Gen's wrists. Prevos could look younger, more brawler types. You could also pose the final evo maybe in the crane style. A good color scheme might be grey blue and red, but all in all there's alot of artistic liberty with this design so if you like that sign up for it.

Other Pokemon

Unnamed Assassin Bug Hopping Vampire Line
Bug/Ghost
The Hopping Vampire Pokemon
Its normal to have two bug species with a full three stage evolutionary line. However, neither the Assassin Bug nor the next one have a cocoon phase. So they each only have one prevo. The prevo is still Bug/Ghost (its kinda hard to evolve into a ghost, but not impossible). The final evo should be an Assassin Bug garbed somewhat as a hopping vampire. Feel free to take liberty with colors and clothing accessories, but make sure to include the beads around the neck and the paper charm on the forehead. The prevo isn't dressed like a vampire, but should have a slightly ghoulish appearance and should be based on the Nymph stage of the bug's life span.

Unnamed Mosquito Death Line
Bug/Dark
The Harvest Pokemon

Another two stage line. This one takes a more western approach with a mosquito cloaked in ghostly rags and with scythes for legs (and don't forget the sharp sucker). Again with the color liberty here. The prevo is only Bug type, and should look like a Mosquito but without the deathly elements yet (or at least subtle clues).

Swarmant/Legiant/Locoant/Hinotant
Lots of types
Lots of Pokemon

This one is a two stage Pokemon that splits evolution after Swarmant. Swarmat is a swarm of ants with the mind of one Pokemon. It has high HP, each HP representing a single ant. Bug type, and obviously will take some creativity to draw a swarm of ants and look good as a single Pokemon. The evolutions don't differ greatly (but shouldn't be the same picture slightly altered). Legiant is a Bug/Steel swarm of Army Ants, maybe carrying little blades and pieces of armor. Locoant is Bug/Electric based on Crazy Raspberry Ants, which run around biting through electrical cords for some reason. Hinotants are Bug/Fire based on Fire Ants. I don't expect them to be on fire, just maybe red and angry. Now, I'm no artist. But I'd imagine the best way to make these pictures is to use perspective. Have a few big ants in the foreground to show detail, and make them smaller and less detailed the farther back they go.

Evos and Prevos Oh My!

Skarmbrood
Steel/Flying
The Armor Chick Pokemon

A little baby bird Skarmory. Not alot to say, I think most people would draw this the same way I think of it, if not better.

Guarent'd
Normal/Flying
The Ronin Pokemon

Poor Farfetch'd. No love from Gamefreak, but you still have your fans. And an awesome evo name if I can toot my own horn. This picture has pretty much already been drawn, bigger more badass Farfetch'd with a leek katana. But I'm not gonna steal anyone else's picture.

Qiliniliq
Normal/Psychic
The Serenity Pokemon

Yeah, I realize this is pretty much exactly the Japanese name for original, but I'm going with Chinese influence so yeah. Girafarig evolves into a somewhat more graceful, larger horned version of itself. With little puffs of fire (not red fire) covering parts of its body. Its tail head should look a little more graceful and less dopy too.

Bognok
Poison/Fighting
The Tiger Claw Pokemon

An evolution of Toxicroak, this one should be somewhat more slender, you can make subtle differences to your heart's desire but the draw here is the three big claws coming from Bognok's hands.

And that's enough for now. I'll update as Pokemon are reserved.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Veroneist Ghost/Psychic

Does this work? I'll post the moveset soon, and maybe another Pokemon. I lost my drawing to this. EDIT: Nvm.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Actually, I'm looking for artists to draw Pokemon I've designed. If no one likes my designs, they won't draw them, but I know how to work with artists well and I accommodate for artistic liberty so I figured some people would be interested.

I may offer a few Pokemon designs but first I have to ask is this going to be a hack of the GBA games or of the DS games? If I'm going to give the Pokemon movesets, I want to give them moves that existed in the game.

EDIT: I just read you last post, I can attempt to draw the starters for you.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Again, I'm strictly looking for artists. This is my project to sharpen my skills as a designer. If enough people are interested, I will program the finished Pokemon into a PokeLab server.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Oh. In that case, I'll try my hand at the Grass starters, seeing as a few people here don't know what an Ankylosaurus is.

Again, I'm strictly looking for artists. This is my project to sharpen my skills as a designer. If enough people are interested, I will program the finished Pokemon into a PokeLab server.
Err... I'm confused. Do you want people to help you with spriting the Pokemon you already have or have them send in some designs which may make it in the final cut? (sorry if I'm being a pest about it. I don't mean to be. Just trying to understand completely)

I can do either. (although coming up with new designs'll take longer) But if you wanted someone to help you sprite the Pokemon, I can help you. If you want to take a look at my past work, I have a thread here. http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81409

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Right now, I'm not interested in sprites. I'd like drawings. As far as a final cut, people can reserve Pokemon but make sure to talk to me while you're working on it because an artist and designer working closely together usually produces the best work. Share with me your ideas for the Pokemon listed, not entirely new Pokemon concepts.

Right now, I'm not interested in sprites. I'd like drawings. As far as a final cut, people can reserve Pokemon but make sure to talk to me while you're working on it because an artist and designer working closely together usually produces the best work. Share with me your ideas for the Pokemon listed, not entirely new Pokemon concepts.

Mmkay. I'll try and work on drawings of the firs starters from your decription (if that's OK.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)