1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

#pokemon Late Night I Tournaments - Season 2- Week Three

Discussion in 'Smogon IRC' started by jrp, May 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrp

jrp wanker of the highest order

Seasoned members of Smogon might remember the late night tournaments on Pokemon Online in the days of yore. These tournaments were small tournaments with various unorthodox limitations placed on teambuilding that occurred on PO that carried various rewards. I'm here to bring some good news, the #pokemon staff have decided to bring a return to LNTs!

Now we're not hosting them on PS due to the large playerbase on the server that would make organizing a tournament like this impossible. LNTs will be hosted on #pokemon, Smogon's official IRC channel. LNTs will occur in short 5 week seasons, with points being awarded on how well each player does in the tournament. The winner of each "season" will receive HalfOps on #pokemon. Halfops is the IRC version of PS's drivers, so it's a nice prize!

I will be the primary host of LNTs, although there will be other hosts besides me. The current hosts are me, Rodan, Treecko, Melee Mewtwo and Hyperbeem. As a general guideline, LNTs will be hosted in the ballpark of around 10:00 pm EST, however the exact timing is at the discretion of the host.

If you are unsure on how to connect to #pokemon, you can use this simple mibbit link here.
    LNTs are welcome to everyone, be they a #pokemon veteran or a new member wanting to join the channel that's timid. These are a great way to test the waters on IRC so don't feel like you can't come on and join us!
  2. jrp

We're beginning the first week with a somewhat simple theme. For Week 1 of LNTs, you will only be able to use Pokemon that were introduced in the same generation. This means that if you want to use Ninetales on your team, you can only use Pokemon that were introduced in first generation. The rules are as follows:

1. you can only use Pokemon from one generation. Ergo, if I pick first generation, I am limited to Pokemon introduced in Red/Blue/Yellow.
    2. Since weather teams are going to be somewhat less effective in this due to a lot of the abusers being introduced in different generations than the weather starters, I am going to allow the use of Excadrill, Thundurus-Incarnate, Tornadus-Therian, Manaphy and Blaziken.
    3. Due to the majority of Swift Swim Pokemon not being introduced in generations other than the Johto games, I will allow Swift Swim to be used.
    4. There are no limitations on abilities or moves. Drought Ninetales and Drizzle Politoed will be allowed.
    5. Signups will begin at 10:00 pm eastern standard time. I'd like to have the battles start at 10:45 pm if possible. That means I will be closing signups at 10:30 pm. I will lock the thread to prevent any stragglers.

Feel free to discuss pairings and potential teams in #pokemon. I will be updating the brackets there, so you'll want to pay attention!

To sign up, simply post in this thread.

Signups:

Melee Mewtwo
    Relaunched
    Novaray
    Princess Bri
    EspyOwner
    The Exeggutor
    Qwilphish
    Nutrix
    FLCL
    Nosep4ss
    CTC
    V4Victini
    Jellicent
    chaos
    Tagliatelle21
    icecream
    august
    Compton kid
  3. Melee Mewtwo

Melee Mewtwo lol, nice
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

4. relaunched

relaunched

5. Nova

Nova Samsung Alpaca
    is a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

6. Dice

Dice what's a god to a nonbeliever
    is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis Smogon Frontier's Arcade Star

7. Mizuhime

Mizuhime Hear my tears all in my tunes
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

8. Qwilphish

Qwilphish Mind over Matter
    is a Pre-Contributor

9. Nutrix

Nutrix

10. FLCL

FLCL
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Salon Maidenis a Past SPL Winner

11. EspyOwner

EspyOwner

am yes
    jrp sucks
    in
  12. CTC

CTC The Lord Shepherd shall guideth ye cattle
    is Smogon Frontier's Stadium Baronis a Past WCoP Winner

13. Nosep4ss

Nosep4ss

14. V4Victini

V4Victini [22:01] <&Stellar> I'm gonna edit ALL the YAML files
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcher

15. Jellicent

Jellicent ~the spirit who loves spirits~
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Ruiner of Alph

I am just drunk enough to be in~
  16. Lasagne

Lasagne THE HERO APPEARS
    is a Pre-Contributor
    Mentor

17. august

august free the robots
    is a Smogon IRC AOPis a Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournament

fok yeah
  18. Compton kid

Compton kid

19. jrp

signups are now locked.
  20. chaos

chaos
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
    Owner

IM IN IVE BEEN IN SINCE THE BEGINNING
  21. jrp

22. jrp

just so you know if you're doing this you should be on #pokemon to be in the loop!
  23. jrp

congratulations to ctc for winning week one!
  24. jrp

EDIT: I'm away this weekend so RODAN will be hosting the LNT with a different theme

I'm going to get the formality of announcing this weekend's theme out of the way now because it's going to require a bit of research for players unfamiliar with earlier generations.

The rule for Saturday, May 18th's LNT is as follows:

If a Pokemon can learn a move in any generation, be it first through fifth, it may legally use it. Furthermore, restrictions on move legality based on breeding/tutors/events are removed. In example, the Crown beast legendaries are not locked into natures, nor do they have to be shiny for this.

Due to the limitations of PS, you will need to use the Hackmons tier to satisfy the requirements for the tournament. The ruleset is still BW2 OU.

Due to an extremely specific case in this, I will be removing OHKO clause for this weekend's tournament.

Don't sign up yet, but start building your teams for this weekend!
  25. RODAN

RODAN i watch it for the trains
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributor

whoa jonathanrp is actually gonna be mia so i will be hosting this saturdays tournament under a different theme.

the theme is: RODAN cup - All pokemon must be over 400lbs in the dex + aerodactyl is mandatory on every team. Grass knot and Low kick are banned. this is BW OU by the way

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_by_weight

no ubers
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)