Pokemon Legends - Arceus - 28th Jan 2022 *Official Content Only*

if anyone was curious, the new Legends Arceus pokemon & forms just doesn't display Ability information and all the moves just display their LA descriptions. All the moves that tweaked in LA just display their standard descriptions.
Its so strange seeing that they're still rolling with 'doesn't have an ability', you'd think they'd match their preset data already in LA.

i wouldn't be surprised if SV is a complete strip down to simplify the series and removes mechanics.

Actually, is there any home data on them regarding movepools? I haven't seen anything yet about that.

also rip spinda, so there's no possible way to transfer a spinda from gen 8, it has to be from gen 3-7 straight to gen 9, assuming we can.

Its so strange seeing that they're still rolling with 'doesn't have an ability', you'd think they'd match their preset data already in LA.

i wouldn't be surprised if SV is a complete strip down to simplify the series and removes mechanics.

Actually, is there any home data on them regarding movepools? I haven't seen anything yet about that.

also rip spinda, so there's no possible way to transfer a spinda from gen 8, it has to be from gen 3-7 straight to gen 9, assuming we can.
It makes some sense: why bother showing the abilities in Home when you can't do anything with them, right?

The movepools are, I would bet, probably the same as they are in LA's data. They have copies of all the TM/TR lists, to LA pokemon's detriment

I was hoping IVs would be based on Grit Levels - y'know, for 0 Spe Wyrdeers and such - but they're random. That's annoying.
Grit was the stand in for EVs, not IVs. iirc the game is still tracking EV distribution in the background, separate from Grit, just not applying them in LA.

And IVs are I think the same as always

I was hoping IVs would be based on Grit Levels - y'know, for 0 Spe Wyrdeers and such - but they're random. That's annoying.
We knew really early on that IVs(and EVs) were already coded into Legends from launch. In fact the IV values of each stat determined the initial grit level of each stat upon capture, and EVs are earned normally from combat(like defeating a Paras gives your Pokemon 1 Attack EV). The only real difference is that, unlike other games, IVs and EVs have no numerical effect on max stats in Legends.

Last edited:
I strongly suspect the lack of ability info is also to leave open the option of changing the abilities later without calling attention to it. Origin Dialga and Palkia, in particular, strike me as cases where they might want to do that.
Yeah because Origin Forme Giratina has no Hidden Ability

Some answers from twitter to questions posed in this or other threads.
Why was HOME maintenance so long and staggered? Because they were converting all the pokemon into an updated universal format.
The per-game data is indeed stored server side and is based on the HOME tracker. I wonder if the Nincada issue would have been related to this tracking of the original moveset and what Ninjask/Shedinja might have caused as it seems like Nincada can still go from Home to their home games. Also it's a shame that even past mons have their transfer moves cleared moving into BDSP as that's probably one of the cooler parts of moving up through the generations as one of the only customizable things about your pokemon.
The mostly hidden height/weight values (I think Let's GO had an indicator) become relevant now in Legends, along with HOME's default 0 for Bank mons. I guess this is how you would truly obtain the smallest mons in Legends.
An ominous hint of things to come.

All they had to do to make my pessimistic ass shut up was to give me my Roost Empoleon in SWSH OU.

But no, here I am still with no Roost Empoleon. We were so close yet so far.

Was really that hard to patch new locations to SwSh?
The problem here is less "SWSH doesn't have those locations", the games have been set to handle that since Gen 3 (they just see a location that isnt in the game and display it as "Met in a faraway land" or for transfers, mention the Region), it's that the locations are being wiped out (I presume to whatever the default is) from the Pokemon's memory. And it sounds like this is on the back of Home specifically.

If anyone was realistically hoping for that then they haven’t been paying attention for years.
Actually the opposite. Main series Pokémon games are mostly compatible with each other, and when trades happen Pokémon usually keep their moves, ability, nature, EVs etc only changing if they're different or missing in the target game. Even SwSh didn't force Pokémon to relearn moves even if those moves were literally cut from the game's coding. My Choice Band Tyranitar still knows Pursuit, and I softly weep every time I look at it.

Pokémon being traded to another game traditionally keep their attributes. Legends Arceus mons having their moves reset is pretty much unprecedented.

If anyone was realistically hoping for that then they haven’t been paying attention for years.
The very first time they introduced a new generation, Gold/Silver, the expanded movesets were able to be transferred back to Gen I. You couldn't send new moves, but existing moves than mons shouldn't have were fair game. It's very rare* that they actually eliminate transfer options without a technical reason.

*Not unheard of, see Cosplay Pikachu etc, but very rare.

It's very rare* that they actually eliminate transfer options without a technical reason.
Yep, and in this case it's almost guaranteed to be a technical reason.
Aka what I said in the other thread:
I'm quite confident the only reason that's a thing is due to the fact that PLA / SwSh / BDSP have completely different movesets which do not overlap even as far as actually existing moves go (es: BDSP has Hidden Power, SwSh doesnt, SwSh has a bunch of moves not present in BDSP, and LA has a bunch of new moves that don't exist in SwSh).
This would basically cause a constant need to ask the player to fix their pokemon moveset due to incompatible moves, as well as potentially have pokemon with relearnable moves in their moveset (due to egg moves / TR data from swsh) that do not exist in the other games.

so remember that problem alolan vulpix and friends had back during the Go implementation and hwo they had to fix that so there wasn't weird move overlap
To be fair, there's a moderately high chance that every move learned by regular Electrode is also learned by Hisuian Electrode as well.
Differently from the Vulpix/Ninetales problem of them being directly opposite types, Hisuian Electrode still keeps the Electric type so I have no reason to doubt that it will just learn extra moves without losing any of Electrode's regular ones.

(I also doubt any of the actual Hisuian pokemon has a moveset as of now anyway)

To be fair, there's a moderately high chance that every move learned by regular Electrode is also learned by Hisuian Electrode as well.
Differently from the Vulpix/Ninetales problem of them being directly opposite types, Hisuian Electrode still keeps the Electric type so I have no reason to doubt that it will just learn extra moves without losing any of Electrode's regular ones.

(I also doubt any of the actual Hisuian pokemon has a moveset as of now anyway)
I mean the smart thing would have been default to the Legends Arceus moveset.
Or, give it no moveset, which is a thing Home supports.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)