Pokemon Platinum - The definitive thread: Mach 3 (Competitive Discussion)

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok, so looking over Tyranitar's Move Pool, I came across the lovely new addition of Earth Power.

I'm not sure if you guys know, but I've been playing with Modest-Tar for a while now, something like this:

Tyranitar
Modest
252 HP / 180 sp.ATK / 76 SPD
-Ice Beam
-Dark Pulse
-Flamethrower (or Fire Blast, feeling lucky?)
-Substitute

It's based off of boah's build, but its level of speed and special kick is on a whole different scale. It's able to force switches suprisingly well, and is able to dish it out behind substitutes. Thunderbolt also deserves a mention for taking out Gyara switch ins, but overall I've had way too many issues with Magnezone walling it. On the other hand, this spread is walled by Heatran . . . and infernape. That's right, it's walled by infernape. >.>

With that in mind, I've been eyeing Tyranitar's new addition of Earth Power. Earth Power would of course mess up a lot of important pokemon really badly-- Heatran, Magnezone, Infernape, and would still maintain coverage on Jirachi and Metagross. The big losses are Scizor, Forry, Bronzong and Skarm, though the former 2 are hit nuetral by Earth Power and the later two can still be hit for nuetral by Dark Pulse and Ice Beam respectively. With these things in mind, I decided Earth Power seems like a great option, as Ground/Ice has terrific coverage as we all know.

However, I just tried it on wifi and a bronzong gave me some major issues (you can get some nice flinch hax, but with lefties Dark Pulse is like a 5-6hko). >.> What do you guys think of Earth Power v. Flamethrower?

For those curtious, you can still put focus punch on this for the 2hko on bliss (with 101 subs I may add) and of course it'll mess enemy ttar's up pretty bad even with no ATK evs and -ATK nature.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Okay, I FINALLY, updated the front post with info curently known (Which means move tutor list is not complete) If you tihnk I need to add anything please tell me

And I doubt we are getting new egg moves
I noticed Registeel lacks Superpower and Magnet Rise, and I believe someone posted it got them. Would it be possible to doublecheck Registeel?

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think someone confirmed Registeel does not get Magnet Rise. And it already has Superpower in its movepool.

Heracross: Fury Cutter, Vacuum Wave, Knock Off, Snore, Helping Hand, Iron Defense

oh what a tease Vacuum wave when it really wants mach punch also random iron defense cross for the lols Knock off might be of use.

Got bored and threw this together..thoughts?

Adamant - Magic Guard
Toxic Orb
252/252/6/xx/xx/xx
-Trick
-Facade
-Fire Punch
-Zen Headbut/Brick Break/Icy Wind

EV spread needs work, Im not sure what it should bother outrunning. (assuming it doesnt run Icy Wind)

Trick to dump the item off on an unlucky wall after Clefable gets Poisoned, hopefully snagging Leftovers in the process, Facade for STAB + Status boost. Fire Punch to deal with any steels (though Heatran lols at you still), Zen Headbutt mainly for Gengar although Fire Punch might be enough to deal with Gar, while something like Brick Break for Heatran. Icy wind, finally could work for when they switch out..

Looks decent but Double Edge actually does more than a status-Facade. I've heard that Steels can be Poisoned by Toxic Orb. Any idea if Fire types can be affected by Flame Orb? Either way, Flame Orb isn't a terrible idea since it acts as a psuedo-WoW.

Yeah but Clefable doesnt have Guts to negate the attack drop from being burned.

I wonder how much more damage it'd be taking per turn from DE then Poison (to lazy to look it up -_-)

Right, I totally forgot that the Att drop still affects Clefable. >_< Still, I guess it could work on special based Trick sets.

Magic Guard means Poison damage and Double-Edge recoil are negated, if that's what you mean by that last sentence.

Why?

Double Edge- 120 Power * 1.5 (STAB)= 180

Facade- 70 Power * 2 (Status) * 1.5 (STAB)= 210

Or is the multiplier less?

Right, I totally forgot that the Att drop still affects Clefable. >_< Still, I guess it could work on special based Trick sets.

Magic Guard means Poison damage and Double-Edge recoil are negated, if that's what you mean by that last sentence.

Yeah, its ok that you forgot about guts because i completely spaced about magic guard in the previous post (despite the fact I had just made a set revolving around the ability..)

Got bored and threw this together..thoughts?

Adamant - Magic Guard
Toxic Orb
252/252/6/xx/xx/xx
-Trick
-Facade
-Fire Punch
-Zen Headbut/Brick Break/Icy Wind

EV spread needs work, Im not sure what it should bother outrunning. (assuming it doesnt run Icy Wind)

Trick to dump the item off on an unlucky wall after Clefable gets Poisoned, hopefully snagging Leftovers in the process, Facade for STAB + Status boost. Fire Punch to deal with any steels (though Heatran lols at you still), Zen Headbutt mainly for Gengar although Fire Punch might be enough to deal with Gar, while something like Brick Break for Heatran. Icy wind, finally could work for when they switch out..
I've already brainstormed on this sometime ago, and;

Fire Blast still does more to every Steel than Fire Punch.
I'd really consider Softboiled in that last slot.
I'm not sure why you're considering Gengar and Heatran when Clefable is still UU.

This is the set I've been dreaming with since it was revealed that Clefable could learn Trick. Sounds quite fun. <3

Facade doubles the power with status, so it's stronger than Double Edge. That set will be really used, but with Softboiled of course. Something like that:

Clefable @ Toxic Orb
EVs and Nature: I don't know, max HP and spread between Attack and Special Defense. The nature could change if you want a defensive one or an offensive one.
Magic Guard
Softboiled
Trick
Facade
Fire Blast / Fire Punch

I noticed something interesting. Kingler gets Superpower o_0. Since he's slow enough anyways, surely some sort of addition to his movepool is great.

Any thoughts? I was thinking instead of Return, Superpower would be a bit better.

Let's talk about Primeape, who unfortunately doesn't get sucker punch, but does get seed bomb. I'm not sure how good of an addition this is. I ran a couple calcs on MetalKid's, and even though it obviously DOES help him get past Swampert (high chance for OHKO when choice banded with + attack nature, 2HKO with everything else) and Quagsire, it does around 5% less damage to other bulky waters and grounds than Close Combat, failing to 2HKO stuff like standard Suicune, Milotic, Hippowdon and Vaporeon.

It's too bad, but I'm afraid beating Swampert and Quagsire isn't worth giving up other much needed moves like Ice Punch or Punishment. Thoughts?

Awesome we finally made it, kinda sad that when I finally made it to the last tutor I erased my game *big sad face*

And toxic orb trick clefable is sounding sublime, gonna have to think about that one...

all these tutors and pokes getting awesome moves is giving me a headache :nerd:, have to start making a Pt team which is very difficult.. so hard which ones to use aaaahhhh

Hmm, I think the Wormadam Trash is wrong.

It's suppose to be: Sucker Punch, Snore, Magnet Rise, Uproar, Iron Head, Endeavor, Signal Beam, Gunk Shot, Iron Defence

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)