Pokemon Platinum - The definitive thread: Mach 3 (Competitive Discussion)

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What would the standard be for tournaments, then? You can't have the rules switching around on you every other round because of what team your opponent decides to run. That's not very fair in the ladder, either.

Beldum: Zen Headbutt

I need to check in the Survial area, I will do that tomorrow.
Yeah, Beldum is feeling the love. :)

Too bad it doesn't get Magnet Rise. But lets hope it gets Iron Head and Iron Defense. lol

Raj

CAP Playtesting Expert
New set for Honchkrow:
Anti-lead Honchkrow @ Life Orb
Insomnia
Naughty
6 HP/ 252 Att/ 252 Sp Att
~Heat Wave
~Hp Electric/Drill Peck
~Sucker Punch
~Superpower/Drill Peck

All stats over 100% have been omitted and lowered to 100% (OHKO)
Heat Wave to Bronzong- 56% minimum (2OHKO even with Leftovers)
HP Electric to Gyarados- 99.5% minimum lol
Superpower to Tyranitar- 100%
Suckerpunch to Gengar- 100%
Suckerpunch to Azelf- 100%
Superpower to Blissey- 100%
Heat Wave to Yanmega- 100%
HP Electric to Aerodactyl- 100%
Suckerpunch to Jolteon- 100%

As you can see, this Honchkrow packs quite a punch and can effectively rid a team of their lead. Gyarados won't Attack first- dead.
Honchkrow uses Heat Wave, Zong uses Stealth Rock, Honchkrow uses Heat Wave- dead.
Honchkrow uses Superpower, Tyranitar faints.
Jolteon uses T-Bolt, Honckrow attacks first with Suckerpunch- dead Jolteon.
Aerodactyl uses SR, Honchkrow uses HP Electric- dead Aero. If it does survive by some off chance, Suckerpunch finishes it off.
Yanmega used Hypnosis (opponent forgets about Insomnia). Honchkrow uses Heat Wave or Suckerpunch- dead dragonfly.
You get the point... and bonus- it destroys Blissey!

Syberia

[custom user title]
I've been using a leadkrow on my team lately, the same premise as yours but with Sucker Punch/Pursuit/Heat Wave/Superpower.

Hp electric seems like a pretty good idea over pursuit, do you think pursuit is useful?
EDIT: hp electric isn't that great of an idea actually, when DDgyaras are popular =/

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
How about Shoddy keeps the 70% accuracy unless you/your opponent have the alternate forms?
Only problem I see with that is that you'll see teams of 5 Standards + Rotom form simply to reduce the accuracy of their opponents Hypnosis.

You can still be playing platinum without using the alternate forms, though.
But why would you, if it's just going to reduce accuracy?

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Honchkrow it a pretty promising pokémon. Now, it actually HAS a movepool! =O Still relies heavily on prediction (unless you want to risk yourself eating a move before attacking lol), but I think I'll finally use it seriously :)

Ooooh! I want to try a Honchcrow! I might breed for one now!

Does anyone have any tips/good movesets for Persian and Golduck? Honchy, Persian, and Goldy are all BL right?

GG at totally fucking up Rampardos's ability... the only Steel immune to EQ is Skarm who's neutral to Stone Edge anyway.

Anyway, Knock Off Empoleon: Yay, now my favorite Pokémon finally has my second favorite Pokémon's most used attack! Woo! Minor change that helps him a lot... imagine Knocking Off an incoming Blissey, Tentacruel's Leftovers or something!

Is Superpower Absol enough of an addition to move him up a tier or two? Perhaps. He no longer needs a Swords Dance to OHKO Tyranitar and now can seriously threaten Steel-types. But while taking care of Absol's 3rd biggest flaw (paper defenses and low speed being the first two) is really great, Swords Dance Superpower kinda sucks as you get weaker with it...

Ice Punch Lucario seems to be a non-issue for SD sets. As you could already run HP Ice on Lucario with no EV investment to get the same effect (raping Gliscor), you still have to either give up ExtremeSpeed or a vital coverage move to use it. So all it does is shift around who "counters" it a bit.

Bullet Punch Scizor is the most awesomest thing ever. Metagross in Ubers can go fuck himself, Scizor is here with an even STRONGER priority!

Trick suits Porygon-Z perfectly, to be honest.

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd; Modest
- Trick
- Nasty Plot
- Tri Attack
- Dark Pulse

To start, you scout out the team. Wear things down with Tri Attacks on switches. Is it an offensive team? Keep the item and wear down the opponent on switches. Stall team? Get rid of the mostly burdensome item (try doing it to Blissey to really fuck them up), come back late, Nasty Plot up, and sweep!
Alakazam says hi. And he has better speed.

but porygons ability and movepool beat alakazams, and he has no pursuit weaks.

edit: i really hope someone gets puruglys tutors up soon, its my only thread poke i dont know for yet :(

Syberia

[custom user title]
But why would you, if it's just going to reduce accuracy?
As long as I was not using the move Hypnosis on my team, I would absolutely use Platinum to battle even if I didn't have any alternate forms. Isn't the whole point of competitive [anything] to give yourself any advantage you can, no matter how small?

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm more interested in Trick Claydol.

Imagine a Trick Claydol with Iron Ball. Effectively, you could allow Claydol to hit anything that would normally be immune its most powerful STAB while crippling their speed. Totally ruins DDDos. The downside is not being able to switch into EQ yourself, but most EQs won't ruin you now that Garchomp is gone, and you probably wouldn't switch into Mamoswine anyway.

Iron Ball totally ruins Skarmory. Without a Ground Immunity it loses its greatest competitive advantage. Gengar doesn't like it either, and hates losing the speed to boot.

Claydol also has enough defenses to pull Trick Off with refularity, exactly when it needs to.

But maybe I'm just too easily excited.

Perhaps a set:

Claydol @ Iron Ball
Nature: Modest
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/252 SA/4 Spe
~ Trick
~ Earth Power
~ Shadow Ball
~ Calm Mind

A little risky perhaps since you won't have Ground immunity, but this easily dispatches of Gengar, who switches into Trick and gets hit with Iron Ball, removing Ground Immunity and halving speed to less than Claydols. Earth Power can then OHKO. After Gengar is dispatched (or, alternatively, switches out and basically crippled unless it too has Trick and can pull it off without getting killed), you can Trick its Black Sludge (or whatever) onto another pokemon. CM/Shadow Ball to take care of other Ghosts.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hax is freakin killing me. Seriously.

Haven't been keeping up. Are any OU's now Uber's? BL's now OU's? UU's now BL's or OU's?
Not yet, it's all speculation.

I expect the tier listings to change greatly, though. Like now, Lapras and Steelix should be definitely booted to BL.

Have any other moves (besides Hypnosis) been confirmed to lose/gain accuracy?
Ice Beam got lowered to 95%, along with flamethrower and thunderbolt

jk, but seriously gamefreak should make up their minds about what they want the acc of moves to be =/

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
EDIT;; Nevermind. xD

Yeah, someone should test. Obi's research sticky should be updated with Platinum stuff, if it hasn't yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)