Gen 1 Pokemon Showdown has a Gen 1 playable now!

Freeze may be uncommon, but it's far more common than the only ways to defrost in gen 1, since freeze lasts until KO or one of the only 2 ways to be defrosted happens. And both of the ways to be defrosted requires the foe to defrost you, which just isn't gonna happen since fire moves are not really good in Gen 1, and thus are not common at all in OU if ever. And Haze is a rare move found mostly on bad mons who can't really be viable in OU.

@Joim There's a glitch with toxic. After switching back in, instead of reverting to normal poison damage, it carries on as Toxic, which dint happen in RBY. Furthermore, after switching back in, it will continue from where it left off - so instead of going back to 1/16th, it will for example deal 4/16 on the turn it switches back in if it did 3/16th on the turn before it switched out.

Freeze may be uncommon, but it's far more common than the only ways to defrost in gen 1, since freeze lasts until KO or one of the only 2 ways to be defrosted happens. And both of the ways to be defrosted requires the foe to defrost you, which just isn't gonna happen since fire moves are not really good in Gen 1, and thus are not common at all in OU if ever. And Haze is a rare move found mostly on bad mons who can't really be viable in OU.
Freezes are less common than a lot of other hax that can actually be more costly to your team. For example I would rather have a tauros blizzard freeze my rhydon than KO it with a crit, yet the crit is more likely to happen.

The point is that while freeze is powerful, playing for multiple freezes is suboptimal anyway because a) Lapras/Cloyster/Jynx all laugh at Ice Beam and can't be frozen, b) it means you're not paralysing anything, and thus get your face owned off by any kind of decent offense.

This contrasts drastically with sleep, because multiple sleeps are so easy, and so powerful, that the entire game turns into a boring sleepfest.

Also note that with wrap legal, you usually want to take the chance to paralyse something when you can, instead of going for freezes. The only time I can think of where going for a freeze over para is a good idea if their chansey has already parad yours, but even then paralysing chansey is good too.

Magic- Sleep is nerfed in wrap though. Certain pokemon like zam, gengar and maybe starmie prefer to be asleep than paralysed. I'm not saying to unban sleep, but it wouldn't be as bad as non-wrap.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It seems that all Pokemon >151 are pretty terrible in RBY. DD Mence can't 3hko Chansey with EQ after a boost and can barely stomach Ice Beam. Looks like you just can't beat the classics! :-p

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Also people using them might not have all the EVs maxed. In all seriousness, I think I know the cause of this bug, a recent change of mod loading.

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Sorry for the Double post. Some changes on mod loading ignored that Gen1 has its own set validator, it has now been fixed. We'll reset the ladder asap.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
DDmence should definitely be able to 2hko chansey after a boost in rby.
Ah yes I meant to say 2HKO, since my Chansey did in fact (barely) survive 2 hits from Earthquake yesterday. Anyway, I saw that the ladder was restarted; does this mean that the Toxic bug is fixed and that no previous gen mons are allowed?

Joim

Pixels matter
No gen2+ Pokemon are allowed now, that alone was important enough to reset ladder. I'm not at home until Sunday, but I'll try to test Toxic and fix it asap.

It should be doing 52-60%. You may have not maxed the EVs, due to the way team-building works on PS right now.

Joim

Pixels matter
Them it must be EVs. It's recommended to max them all, even though they are supposed to be auto maxed. I will test that thoroughly.

When I maxed all the EVs, Showdown rejected my team for having too many EVs on each Pokemon. That said, I've been playing with no EVs and I've been doing fine. I really like this metagame, it's incredibly refreshing and I've had some games that came down to the wire!

I have been lurking around, watching these battles and wow. Good work for getting it up! It was a nice breath of fresh air--you just do not see Tauros using Blizzard in OU anymore. I am looking forward to taking part in this when I get the time!

I may just have to try this ladder out. Looks like loads of fun.

Also, if Wrap/Clamp/Bind/Fire Spin can't be altered into RBY functionality, perhaps the geniuses behind this ladder could implement "new" moves with the same functionality as RBY Wrap, etc. Just an idea, no clue about feasibility.

Joim

Pixels matter
I'm basically the only one working on gen 1 :p
The problem with Wrap etc. Has to do with being able to change a core Pokemon Battle function, which I can't from a mod now, so it requires some code changes that are complicated and have to be done.

Edit: Toxic now works properly thanks to Cathy.

Sorry to nag, but is there any idea if/when wrap will be implemented on PS? Just a general time bracket would be nice if that's possible. Thanks in advance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)