Other Pokemon: Smogon Version OU [Route 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
*Redarulse
If you think it's a little too insulting, we can use something else like "Dragamaga Town", "Weethawaras Town", "Viabull Town", "Burdspom Town"... you get the drift.

EDIT: Here are some more.
Ladorhing
Stahall
Hyporoff
Bulchay
Bollence
Taherring
Wahlbraikor

Yes I realize I'm just corrupting words, but what do you expect? :heart:
I don't get how you're coming up with these names

NPC Proposal
Two Team Luck-sack grunts who whisper to each other.
(No matter which one you talk to they both say the same thing)

"Man did you hear? Smogon just banned Baton Pass!"
"What?! That's so unfair. They clearly don't know how balanced it is."
"Yeah I agree. Let's show the- HEY! What are you looking at?"

I dunno, I personally prefer the idea of making the first team luck-sack members grabbing moody bidoof. Moody far better exemplifies the idea of "uncompetitive, luck based strategy" far more then baton pass. Furthermore, we could easily make a low level trainer with moody bidoof and still exemplify why moody is dumb, we cannot do the same for baton pass due to the intrinsic synergies required for it to work.

Anyway, I propose the first team luck sack member to use this pokemon.

Bidoof
Ability: Moody
- Tackle
- Protect

Simple, makes sense for being early in the game, yet effective at showcasing moody. The AI is stupid simple, protect, tackle, protect, tackle, repeat until dead.

Baton Pass requires a level of finesse not seen with abusing moody, so we should have that be first.

And maybe later we can have moody smeargle with BP just to be real jerks.

This one is a town, not a city...

I like the idea of Zarel as this region's Bill. :D

Nothing evil about building teams to try get them banned. IPL was largely responsible for driving to get 4th gen wobb banned--and was well respected for it too.
And this just made me sad about the amount of hate Denis gets for making the team he did. I don't even care what his reasons were, nothing justified that hate.

Last edited:
I dunno, I personally prefer the idea of making the first team luck-sack members grabbing moody bidoof. Moody far better exemplifies the idea of "uncompetitive, luck based strategy" far more then baton pass. Furthermore, we could easily make a low level trainer with moody bidoof and still exemplify why moody is dumb, we cannot do the same for baton pass due to the intrinsic synergies required for it to work.

Anyway, I propose the first team luck sack member to use this pokemon.

Bidoof
Ability: Moody
- Tackle
- Protect

Simple, makes sense for being early in the game, yet effective at showcasing moody. The AI is stupid simple, protect, tackle, protect, tackle, repeat until dead.

Baton Pass requires a level of finesse not seen with abusing moody, so we should have that be first.

And maybe later we can have moody smeargle with BP just to be real jerks.

And this just made me sad about the amount of hate Denis gets for making the team he did. I don't even care what his reasons were, nothing justified that hate.
Hmm, so you are proposing that we allow team Luck Sack to be fought this early? Like as they catch you speaking to them and all? I don't know if we want to have them fight just yet but if others support this then im just aiming to clarify it better.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
are we done with the structure of the 2nd town? does the day-care still exist here?
about facing the TLS grunt(s), i think it should outside the town. Think about it, when the guy shows us around, we'll surely cross the grunts at one point, and it'll look absurd that the guy doesn't say anything about them, unless we want the guy to be part of TLS in disguise.

are we done with the structure of the 2nd town? does the day-care still exist here?
about facing the TLS grunt(s), i think it should outside the town. Think about it, when the guy shows us around, we'll surely cross the grunts at one point, and it'll look absurd that the guy doesn't say anything about them, unless we want the guy to be part of TLS in disguise.
As stated before, the Day-care is accessible through the pc in every town with said care in the town yes.

Little question, do we need an ability change r at the starting town? Or will all abilities including hidden ones be made available to all pokemon?
Maybe set an npc that checks for move legality then allows you to change to the ability you want?

Little question, do we need an ability change r at the starting town? Or will all abilities including hidden ones be made available to all pokemon?
Maybe set an npc that checks for move legality then allows you to change to the ability you want?
Hidden Abilities will be available on wild pokemon.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
i think only competitively viable abilities were to be available(like no illuminate on staryu), as this will make you work a bit for catching the perfect pokemon you desire

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Alright guys we need to think of a name for the second town. I'm kinda thinking Ladorhing town from Karxida's list, any objections?

Salemance I personally like the idea of them being outside of the second town. I was more just saying that the first members of team luck sack should not be using BP, which would either be completely OP or worthless depending on how many mons you allow them (for example, BP is by definition worthless on a one mon team) and should use moody instead, which is far easier to demonstrate with a single mon while still (hopefully) being manageable at this early stage. I mean if all else fails then the player can just bring out golette and hardwall the bidoof.

As for the exact area, prolly somewhere in the route 2 forest. I'm not sure if we want them to take over the forest, but I think having a member or two would be appropriate. I agree that the town would be far too early. Perhaps we'll have them trolling some noob trainer with their almighty 6/6/6/6/6/6/6/6 bidoof

As for the name of the second town, I would like to propose Flehmbuddy Town, just to (not so) subtly hint at the ability's usefulness as a breeding tool.

SparksBlade

Community Leader
i think apart from a few towns, they should be named better. If the player hasn't been in competitive battling, he/she'll definitely not recognise what the names signify, and if the player has been in competitive, then we do him/her no good by these names.

i think apart from a few towns, they should be named better. If the player hasn't been in competitive battling, he/she'll definitely not recognise what the names signify, and if the player has been in competitive, then we do him/her no good by these names.
It's all well and good to dislike an idea, but the thing about names is that they're very hard to come up with. We need some sort of a theme with the names to make it easier, and given that the first town is called golurkmoar, that is the logical name. Unless we go for Pokepuns, which is something of a farfetch'd idea.

SparksBlade

Community Leader
why can't we name them such that the player doesn't have to be like "lador hing town, what's the secret behind it's name?" for every new town they visit, unless we place an NPC in each town to explain the meaning of the name(come to think, it's not a bad idea). e.g. the NPC in Ladorhing town can explain about the ladder and glicko and coil and w/e else there is to laddering

SparksBlade I really don't see any reason why the player needs to get the significance behind any of the town names. I went through most of my childhood not realizing that gen 1 and 2 towns were named after obscure colors. If there is a concept worth explaining, we'll do it through battle or have an npc explain it. Since this is supposed to be a lighthearted affectionate parody of Pokemon anyway, I see no reason what-so-ever why we cannot stick with pokepuns. If the player gets them, fine. If they fly over his head, no big deal.

I for one am still all for Flehmbuddy town, we can even populate the town with really friendly NPCs like the dude who gives the tour, just because everyone here is your buddy :).

SparksBlade

Community Leader
i've no objection against these kind of names, just saying that if the player was supposed to understand the name, then that could be an issue, otherwise everything's fine to me.
um, are we done with what buildings etc. will be in town-2(ofc we won't probably see it till 10 Aug as Turtleye said)

I remember seeing online remakes of Black 2 and White 2, which changed many Pokemon drastically, changing typings and expanding movepools. Perhaps that is something we could do here.

Example: Add Earth Power to Delphox's movepool as a tutor move.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I remember seeing online remakes of Black 2 and White 2, which changed many Pokemon drastically, changing typings and expanding movepools. Perhaps that is something we could do here.

Example: Add Earth Power to Delphox's movepool as a tutor move.
We already said that wasn't happening since we try to stay as close to the cartridge as possible. The closest you're getting is the CAPs, and those are probably only happening in the post-game.

The Second Town's Discussion is now Closed!

With every new place that starts, so shall it end. Here we have received a few novel ideas to add to a town that is vital to setting up some slight mystery and first few kernels of our town's story. The town's name, as debated, will be Redarulse Town as compared to the name of the first town, it helps build the naming theme through the region. The town will have largely simple layout, Pokemon Center, PokeMart, and two houses alongside the Breeding Safari/Day Care implemented here as well. The Day Care will be accessible from any town through the PC helping cut back on early game traveling as you are trying to build your ideal team.

The NPCs that encompass this town are a few but each are helpful in their own way. There to greet you is the Happy old man who will guide you and show you everything of importance in the town, from the daycare to the actual Pokemon center to even his house. Once he is done, he will hand you a Potion and advise you to visit the center before you go.

In the Pokemon Center are five NPCs outside of Nurse Joy on the lobby Floor. One will sell you a Stone to use alongside your Eevee if you managed to catch one on the previous route (its an Everstone) while another will trade you an Imposter Ditto to utilize for Breeding purposes or to assist in your early matches to help scout what some people may be running, and will be trading it over for one of the Azurill found on the previous route. The other three NPCs are all info dumpres, with two teaching you the importance of Ivs, as they show the same Pokemon can be worse than another of its species (in this example they both utilize their Rattata) and the last man explaining the importance of STABs on your Pokemon.

While nearly last, the Day Care can be seen near the middle of the town with the play area right outside of it. The Old man who hands you the newly birthed Egg is inside, waiting to store it on the Daycare PC as needed with his Wife standing behind the front desk muttering how kids just do everything through the computer now a days and not face to face. There is also an Iv checker sitting at a table in the day care, hoping to tell you what your Pokemon isnt capable of and what it is through their Ivs.

The remaining house in the Town, near the entrance to Route 2, is not immediately accessible as two Bandana wearing hooligans are standing in front of the door discussing what they view as a hypocrisy on how SmogSmog had suspect and banned their latest tool. They notice the player and shoo him away as they continue their increasingly trivial discussion of over the ban happy Smogonites.

As you leave the town to access the second route, you see the house's backyard is fenced off with a young person inside it. The person is seeing staring off into the distance before sighing and walking into the house through the backdoor.

As you can see, we have already started to sew the seeds our story and are rolling with our momentum. Here is to the Route 2 Discussion, which holds our Forest! Yeah!!!

Overall, another lengthy and useful week of discussion. Here on to Route 2 Yall!

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Will there be a mini route that connects the forest to the town or are we just doing it like Azela Town in GS where the forest entrance is in the town?

Also, I propose the name if the forest be "Sleetlaws Woods".

Will there be a mini route that connects the forest to the town or are we just doing it like Azela Town in GS where the forest entrance is in the town?

Also, I propose the name if the forest be "Sleetlaws Woods".
Cho will have a better answer for that but from I believe we can discuss what would like for it to be (like Viridian or the Forest after Azalea).

SparksBlade

Community Leader
Salemance said:
In the Pokemon Center are five NPCs outside of Nurse Jenny on the lobby Floor.
you mean Nurse Joy?
and will someone explain to me why we have day-cares in every town when they are accessible through pc's?

edit:and i forgot our starting town so if someone could help me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)