Other Pokemon: Smogon Version OU [Route 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
Yes, but a larvitar=/=ttar, which is what I said against. Larvitar is fine, but we ought to discuss pokes only after the votes decide a type

Yes, but a larvitar=/=ttar, which is what I said against. Larvitar is fine, but we ought to discuss pokes only after the votes decide a type
Yes which is something to be discussed, but for the moment, we must get done with getting the type decided on. While the idea of what Pokémon fit for a type is all well and good, its something to be hammered out once we get done with the typing.

I personally see no qualms with either Normal or Rock as the precedent for using both as the first Gym has been established before and I think it would make more logical sense at this point to start with Rock just due to the fact compared to some Normal mon you have the actual chance of beating down Rock Types with new acquired mons from the Forest Routes.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If Rock, it's going to be mostly Pokemon that the player has yet to get access to, but that's fine because even in RBY Brock's Geodude and Onyx are the first you ever see.

Only issue with Rock is the incredibly short list of possibilities once you inevitably throw out Terrakion, Diancie and Aerodactyle.

The ones you can use are:

Larvitar
Rhyhorn
Kabuto
Aron/Lairon
Shuckle (hope this thing not broke?)

So just barely enough (is enough though!)

Hippopatas seems almost required as one of the supports, leaving one more slot to cover water/grass better.

It can definitely work, just keep in mind how few pokes there actually are to choose.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
Archen is a big threat in lc, though I don't know how it will fare at lv20. Metang can help against timburr and grass types. With these I think we can manage

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Archen is a big threat in lc, though I don't know how it will fare at lv20. Metang can help against timburr and grass types. With these I think we can manage
Neither of those Pokemon have OU viable evolved forms so I have no idea what you're talking about... Metang isn't even Rock type...

The second filler has to be something that can handle water and grass enemies. It'll probably be a grass/poison type like Ivysaur that can handle water types, hit grass mons with sludge bomb and wall Timber

We could also use an underleveled fully evolved or second stage evolution as the gym leader's final Pokemon. Something like a level 20 Rhydon or Hippowdon although that would possibly be broken so something like Lairon or a normal Aerodactyl could work. Aerodactyl would probably be too good in this stage of the game since nothing resists it's dual STAB which would be something like Wing Attack and Rock Throw. For these reasons I think Lairon could be a decent pick as the gym leader him main Pokemon since it won't be too broken with Timburr and water types that can beat it. For the whole team I was thinking something along the lines of Rhyhorn as a lead that sets up rocks, Omantye and Kabuto since rock type trainers like fossils and these are the most viable ones, Roselia could be in there for type synergy, Larvitar could be a Dragon Dance sweeper of some sorts and Lairon as maybe a late game cleaner or tank. That will be 5 Rock types and one in there for type synergy which sounds good. Kabuto could also be replaced with maybe Drillbur.
As for movesets it would probably be their level up moves with a few egg moves and TM's thrown in there. The TM given at this gym could be Rock Tomb which is a decent move for some Pokemon and definetly not broken for this point in the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

SparksBlade

Community Leader
Knew about archeops but not about metagross dropping to uu. That's rude chou. Fletchling can handle grass types and timburr, and magnemite can help against waters, while resisting grass and bug

If we run a Rock Gym, we could consider Bagon as that coverage Poke since it has good defensive synergy with Rock-types and its ability is Rock Head (fitting huh?). I'm hesitant about Hippopotas though, as isn't it too early to introduce weather teams? Or could we just go with Sand Force?

If we run a Rock Gym, we could consider Bagon as that coverage Poke since it has good defensive synergy with Rock-types and its ability is Rock Head (fitting huh?). I'm hesitant about Hippopotas though, as isn't it too early to introduce weather teams? Or could we just go with Sand Force?
There is no point of adding a Hippotass to a rock team to not give the rock team the sp def boost....

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Conversation is focusing too much on the contents of a potential rock team. Please re-focus on:

-voting for gym type
-storyline stuff
-town features

I think it would also be optimal for letting one of the rivals show his/her face back up again, yall think so or is it still a little too early?

I vote for Normal, as there are a lot of OU viable ones. If it happens, I'm thinking Starly, Happiny, and maybe Bunnelby(OP?) as normals, and a couple of fighting resists/immunities like Gastly and Scyther

NPC Proposal
Old man
Dialogue: I was on SmogSmog's first weather channel. Now I am retired, I tried screwing around with the weather so that is why last year had many weather problems. How do I do it? I make my team hold certain stones and the weather changes. You can have some if you like. (gives heat, damp, smooth, and icy rocks). Those rocks , if one of your pokemon holds and uses the weather assosiated with it, the weather shift turns go from 5 to 8 turns

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
I think it would also be optimal for letting one of the rivals show his/her face back up again, yall think so or is it still a little too early?
I honestly don't think its to early at all, I think it would be best to actually do one of the rival battles now, personally probably the non ash one since we already had a battle with the Ash team guy.

As for the typing, I'm thinking Poison, the type has already had a good amount of Pokemon who belong to it introduced, its got a pokemon who we can use as a signature Pokemon (Crogunk), and we can have a fair amount of Pokemon who can cover the types weaknesses

I vote for Normal, as there are a lot of OU viable ones. If it happens, I'm thinking Starly, Happiny, and maybe Bunnelby(OP?) as normals, and a couple of fighting resists/immunities like Gastly and Scyther
Scyther absolutely not, although I can see where your going with this

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I vote for Dark, since it's the only type that doesn't have a Gym in the games and all the starters can hit it neutrally.

SparksBlade

Community Leader
I think the other rival should appear before/after the gym battle, having already won the badge himself/herself, saying the gym was an easy one or something like that. As for the story, it can depend on the gym type, like if TLS is involved, then depending on the type they try to mess up something, although the story can be entirely independent of the type as well. Will elaborate when I get to my laptop.

Heyo, I'm kinda on break from Smogon atm, but I just wanted to say I vote normal. I dislike rock because I want the rock gym to be a sand team and it is far too early for sand storm. Normal is good because we got happiny(wall), bunnelby (sweep who may or may not be broken atm, but if the player can use it, so can the player's enemies!). Now we just need a special attacker (proygon?) and something to make the team not so timburr weak.

I think the early game should be about teaching good basic team comp, and normal types happen to be versatile enough to provide that. They are also relatively not OP.

Actually...Normal would work out nicely with the introduction of the TM for Return. Once again, I like to bring up that in the more recent games, Return has come around right around the first Gym so it might be nice to give it out as the reward for beating the Gym.

We can have Happiny, Porygon, Smeargle (who has the right low power level for our part of the game that we can give it an "offensive" set), Fletchling, Bunnelby, and MARILL. People had previously mentioned that it would be best not to have ALL Pokemon of the same type. Marill evolves from Azurill (a Normal/Fairy type) so it would still "count" to an extent. Plus it can show off the happiness system and be a big proponent of our use of Return as well as being a hard Timburr counter if we can claim it was bred to know Play Rough at a low level.

At the same time, I think we said the first gym would all be level 20, right? In this case, our team would also be in its 20s. Our game would be unique in that we could even include evolved Pokemon in here as the first gym because OUR team should have a few evolved Pokemon.

Happiny, Porygon, Smeargle, Fletchinder, Diggersby, and Marill would all make sense for level 20 (Happiny and Porygon require items to evolve and Azurill needs to be happy to evolve and it's feasible that it won't evolve until level 20). Unless we want the gym to be somewhat easy we shouldn't just let our whole team be under-evolved for the level we're setting it to be. At the same time, this team has all Pokemon that are, at least in one point of their lifecycle, a Normal-Type.

SparksBlade

Community Leader
got my laptop!!! OK so regarding the story, there are 2 possibilities, one where TLS does something in the town, and the other in which they don't.The latter is the story regarding one in which TLS don't do anything in the town i.e. either we find out that they did something elsewhere, or they don't do anything anywhere and we just hear about how bad they're and all that. Since we don't know the gym type yet, i'll leave some space for the events which depend on the gym type.

Note:My stories are not a proposal of the town map, the story shall change depending on what layout is defined for the town.

Story 1:TLS Strikes Here(what's the name of the town?)
The player enters the town, somewhere nearby, yet in a kind of concealed place(like behind some bushes), a TLS grunt talks in a walkie-talkie "I copy. Coast clear here except for a small kid, shouldn't be an issue. I'm moving, over n out", and he runs off somewhere. Moving on, we face the rival who we fought earlier. The rival(we gotta fix a name real quick) is in high spirits "Oh! Ulrich, you took your time reaching here. Meanwhile, me and my Pokemon have been trainging really hard and have got stronger. You just watch, we'll steamroll through every gym in the region, and eventually become Champions. Gtg seeya!". We move on, and find out about the gym leader depending on the type(e.g. in a mine if rock), and go to battle. Before we enter the gym, the Ash-rival comes out and says "Woah! That was a tough one. Surely we need to work a lot harder. Good luck Olivia/Ulrich." After beating the Gym Leader, we meet the other rival, who says she beat the gym some time back, and came back 'cos she had some work. Right after he/she leaves, we see TLS men leaving the town(in a helicopter please), and a man's running after them. He stops running when TLS has finally left, and when we go and talk to him, "Oh no! They took all my research data! What'll I do now?"*notices us*"Oh! Hi, I'm (*name) and from a distant region. I had heard that only certain Pokemon are found here, so i came to look for myself. I did some research on the so-called "overpowered" Pokemon and battle styles, but not with any ill intentions. I was almost finished, when those thugs stole my research. Why, if they understand the whole research, they might be able to use those Pokemon and battle styles here. I think I'll go and tell Chaos about it, he gotta know i messed up his beloved creation", and the man, who turned out to be a scientist, leaves the town as well....

if anyone wants to add something at the end, feel free.

Story 2:TLS Strike Somewhere Else
The player enters the town and faces the rival who we fought earlier. The rival(we gotta fix a name real quick) is in high spirits "Oh! Ulrich, you took your time reaching here. Meanwhile, me and my Pokemon have been trainging really hard and have got stronger. You just watch, we'll steamroll through every gym in the region, and eventually become Champions. Gtg seeya!". We move on, and see many people crowded near a notice board, which you can't read atm due to the crowd. So you go to the gym, again the Ash-rival comes out and blah-blah. After beating the gym, the 2nd rival comes, and says "Beat the gym? It was easy for me. Did you read the notice board. No?! You should. Well, I gotta move on, bye", and there she goes, the beaut...pardon me. We then go back to the notice board, which is now less crowded/not crowded, and we read the notice "Robbery in (town x, to be decided later by us all) A robbery occured in the (techie company of the region) building, believed to be the work of an outlaw organisation, which call themselves Team Luck-Sack. What precisely was their aim is not clear, but they broke into most of the building, taking a lot of loot with them. It is advised that until the Police round them up, you maintain Constant Vigilance."
The item(s) they took could be, as I said earlier, the Smart Goggles, along with something else. We can now leave the town normally....

again, any additions/changes are welcome

Story 3:A Simple Happy Story
Now, with no TLS involved, think we've a straightforward story, as there's the gym only, and meeting the rivals.

This is my attempt at the story of the town. Ofc, a lot can change depending on what you all think, and what the layout of the town is etc.

PS:Constant Vigilance is taken from Harry Potter. These words are associated with Alastor mad-eye Moody, and translate to "always be careful".

I vote Rock for consitencies sake, referring to the actual games. It would, as others have said, be a good opportunity to utilize stealth rocks and teach the players about entry hazards, esp sneaky pebbles.

Also, one thing that I feel is important and needs to bebrought up: items in battle. Obviously as smogonites we cannot condone this, yet it is even possible to hack items such that they can't be used in battle? Or rather, how do we plan to address this?

Also, I'll begin working on version 2 of the protags if no one has any more suggestions.

NPC Proposal
Hiker
Dialogue: "Team Luck Sack is all over the news lately! I hear they are all terrifying, but resort to using illegal strategies because they can't play 'correctly'!!"

Justification: slight jab at ourselves while explaining TLS before they debut.

EDIT: one last thing- if we do make a fire type gym, then we have to make its leader Fireburn . I mean come on, if we didn't we'd suffer dire consequences.

Last edited:
I honestly don't think its to early at all, I think it would be best to actually do one of the rival battles now, personally probably the non ash one since we already had a battle with the Ash team guy.

As for the typing, I'm thinking Poison, the type has already had a good amount of Pokemon who belong to it introduced, its got a pokemon who we can use as a signature Pokemon (Crogunk), and we can have a fair amount of Pokemon who can cover the types weaknesses

Scyther absolutely not, although I can see where your going with this
I vote for poison as well cuz weezing is smogon's mascot and no that doesn't mean weezing should be on his/her's team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)