Pokemon Sword & Shield Isle of Armour & Crown Tundra discussion

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I have two questions before I get into Dynamax Adventures. One, do you get to take back a Pokemon even if you get KOed? Two, this feels like ask a stupid question get a stupid answer, (that said, give a serious answer too if you give a stupid one.)

I guess even us adults are stupider than we thought :pikuh:
I'm not going to comfort you by saying you're not that stupid, but I am going to try to comfort you.
Albert Einstein said:
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Personalty, I believe everyone (including me and maybe even Einstein himself) is stupid but those who realize it are wise idiots. How else do you explain "smart" people making "stupid" mistakes?

(Please don't let this derail the thread into philosophy. Of all the things that could derail it, philosophy is one of the more interesting things, but please don't. :P)

Edit: See? I posted this without posting my second question! Me dumb too! :D
My second question is can you try to catch a Legend again if you catch it but don't take it back?

God I ran into a Lopunny and no lie i hit it once, got hit by cute charm, and then for the entire rest of the battle did nothing. I was immobilized by love for probably 6 straight turns as the rest of the team slowly killed it

It is testamount to the Adventure's balance and the rental pokemon's general competence that i was able to win that fight

Just had an encounter with Galarian Articuno. The set up was cool. I lead with Gallade. False Swipes and Hypnosis. Start out with Heal Balls cuz it looks nice. Start to get annoyed and try Ultra Balls. After awhile, amidst Max Reviving and throwing in some Luxury Balls, I switch to Timer Balls because it's been awhile.

30 minutes actually. And who knows how many turns.

Articuno is out of moves!
Articuno used Struggle!

Trainer blacked out from being bored out of his mind.

I say all this to share that 1) catch rates are still stupid 2) really that the Dynamax Adventure concept for legends is nice because there is a build up to getting them but you don't have to spend 30 minutes doing nothing. I hope the franchise continues to add fun to the game loop of capturing rare Pokemon. The old style from the original games is not fun. It doesn't feel rewarding to finally capture something after 100 balls because it's just RNG. I didn't do anything.

Good ol' capture rate of 3 can gtfo forever.

So how do you actually run into Articuno, exactly. I keep hearing it around the tundra (in my case, along the snow tree paths) but i never see it, even when I move the camera round.

I love how much freedom you are given after the town: you can do Calyrex quest, but if you want to you can hunt for footprints, go to the cherry blossom tree, start doing the regi temples, or just explore how you want to.

I managed to reach the abandoned Calyrex temple bf doing the carrots and there was a unknown horse noise, since I haven't selected which steed yet.

I love how much freedom you are given after the town: you can do Calyrex quest, but if you want to you can hunt for footprints, go to the cherry blossom tree, start doing the regi temples, or just explore how you want to.

I managed to reach the abandoned Calyrex temple bf doing the carrots and there was a unknown horse noise, since I haven't selected which steed yet.
Yeah I was really surprised how free form the expansion is. I figured it'd be pretty guided: start with the tree, then the regi and all the while spreading breadcrumbs for Calyrex

But no it all starts up at about the same time and you can do them in any way you wish.

If Isle of Armor was more about trying out different biomes and experiencing that, Tundra in general definitely feels like them working through the "Exploration" concept. There's a lot of verticality, twisting paths, the cave in particular is almost maze, there's little stuff scattered all around, puzzles...I'm still trying to find all the regi temples (Regice is quite off the beaten path). In aggregate its not THAT large, and probably not that complicated, but it feels like it is

I've finished the Galar Birds and Regi quest. Overall, I really like this expansion. Seems like Gamefreak has a much better understanding of how to design open worlds. CT's map has a ton of secrets, camera tricks showing you interesting areas that you can't access in a straightforward way, and gives the player cool free form exploration. I like the way they did the Regi and Roaming legendaries too. This has me excited for gen 9 if their able to build on the ideas they experimented w/ in Sword / Shield & its DLC.

So how do you actually run into Articuno, exactly. I keep hearing it around the tundra (in my case, along the snow tree paths) but i never see it, even when I move the camera round.
I have just been flying to the lower half of Snowslide slope until Galar articuno appears. You have to follow its shadow since the camera makes it difficult to see its model.

Also, has anyone been able to shake the Dyna Tree? What do you need to do to shake it?

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
so what exactly is the lore reason for all the legendaries showing up in the dynamax adventures? how many of them are in the crown tundra dex

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I was able to shake the dyna tree simply by being persistent when the game asks me to keep shaking. After a good number of shakes, a Dynamax Greedent fell down. Beating it rewarded me with a lot of berries. The tree then appears to be unshakable, but probably resets tomorrow.

so what exactly is the lore reason for all the legendaries showing up in the dynamax adventures? how many of them are in the crown tundra dex
No lore reason, just "oh strong pokemon not normally seen! Also the area is very dangerous"

The only ones that show up in the crown tundra dex are the kantonian birds, and that's just because the galarian birds are there, so they need dex entries for their normal variants.

Pretty funny that the extent of the lore is that Solgaleo(No idea why they chose Solgaleo out of literally any pokemon) was the first one to show up in the caves. Also cosmog is in that lady's house so I guess that could mean something, but pretty funny that the lore is that empty.

Pretty funny that the extent of the lore is that Solgaleo(No idea why they chose Solgaleo out of literally any pokemon) was the first one to show up in the caves. Also cosmog is in that lady's house so I guess that could mean something, but pretty funny that the lore is that empty.
Lady found Cosmog out in the snow shivering so I assume an ultra hole lit up and it fell through

Just had an encounter with Galarian Articuno. The set up was cool. I lead with Gallade. False Swipes and Hypnosis. Start out with Heal Balls cuz it looks nice. Start to get annoyed and try Ultra Balls. After awhile, amidst Max Reviving and throwing in some Luxury Balls, I switch to Timer Balls because it's been awhile.

30 minutes actually. And who knows how many turns.

Articuno is out of moves!
Articuno used Struggle!

Trainer blacked out from being bored out of his mind.

I say all this to share that 1) catch rates are still stupid 2) really that the Dynamax Adventure concept for legends is nice because there is a build up to getting them but you don't have to spend 30 minutes doing nothing. I hope the franchise continues to add fun to the game loop of capturing rare Pokemon. The old style from the original games is not fun. It doesn't feel rewarding to finally capture something after 100 balls because it's just RNG. I didn't do anything.

Good ol' capture rate of 3 can gtfo forever.
Real talk, I wouldn't mind at all if all Legendary battles were raid-like battles from now on. (Especially if they were 1v1 like IoA's Vespiquen).

The whole "weaken the legendary and throw a million's worth in Ultra Balls" can kick rocks. It's why Quick Balls are my favorite ones, at least I have a chance of skipping the whole nonsense.

Also, speaking of Raids and Legendaries, you really can't only catch each legendary once in D-Max Adventures?

It's bad enough that you can only catch one D-Max Adventures mon, period. But this? :facepalm:

I get that you could only catch them once in the older games, but there's really no point now. The whole thing makes absolutely no sense lore-wise to begin with, let people have some fun. What if I want multiples of the same legendary to run different sets?

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yo there's something REALLY useful for soft reseting Galarian Moltres (and probably Articuno too but I haven't tested it out for it yet)

The IVs seem to be generated when you load the bird in. So at first, it seems like IVs are locked... but you can reroll them by just flying to the same area again.

So as a result, you can save before you encounter the bird (saving saves the bird's position), throw a master ball to check the IVs, and if its a spread you want, then close and reopen the game, and then catch it in the ball you WANT! If it doesn't have the IVs you want, just fly to an area on the map, and the IVs are now rerolled!

I used this to get a 1 Attack IV Neutral Natured Galarian Moltres (synchronize seems to work on the birds too)! I kept it in the Luxary Ball, but I also have a picture of finding its stats with the Master Ball to prove my point, identical stats!

Here's another set of images earlier when I was soft reseting Galarian Moltres to prove my point: one is in a Master Ball, the other an Ultra Ball, and they have the same IVs.

I'll test this with Articuno soon as well, but this seems to be the best method to SR for the birds. BTW, for Galarian Moltres: it's really easy to cheese it if you just fly to the train station on the isle of armor, it'll spawn in a place where it flies in front of the grass near the Dojo every time.

Real talk, I wouldn't mind at all if all Legendary battles were raid-like battles from now on. (Especially if they were 1v1 like IoA's Vespiquen).

The whole "weaken the legendary and throw a million's worth in Ultra Balls" can kick rocks. It's why Quick Balls are my favorite ones, at least I have a chance of skipping the whole nonsense.
Personally, I prefer the symmetry of what you are battling against actually being what you end up with. I also like needing to keep the legendary standing because I like my status effects usable and not completely invalidated like they need to be to make one health bar a noticeable amount. I would be fine with a lot more nuance to the catching system, but I don't think going raid-sytle is the way to do it.

Personally, I prefer the symmetry of what you are battling against actually being what you end up with. I also like needing to keep the legendary standing because I like my status effects usable and not completely invalidated like they need to be to make one health bar a noticeable amount. I would be fine with a lot more nuance to the catching system, but I don't think going raid-sytle is the way to do it.
I actually like the idea of defeating the legendary going all out better, but I see the merits in your idea.

Double its health but let status effects happen without the chance of it being wiped out, then you can capture it after the battle's ended. Maybe throw in a few misc effects like stat boosts or whatever for flavor.

Otherwise abolish catch rate 3 entirely. Just bump them all up to like 45 or 50 minumum. It's still a pain but it's significantly less of one.

While trying to look for the Regis (and the Mayor - seriously, he couldn't be more hidden), I found out a lot of "hidden" Mints. Do they regenerate daily? Because that would be great.

Otherwise abolish catch rate 3 entirely. Just bump them all up to like 45 or 50 minumum. It's still a pain but it's significantly less of one.
I remember doing some calculations some time ago, and a Catch Rate of 10 provides a low initial catch chance, but a fairly high chance after you do the typical set-up (paralyzed with 1 HP with an Ultra Ball). IIRC it was around 35%, far more than the current horrible 10%. A Catch Rate of 20 would give around 50% chance.

Last edited:
Has anyone else had the musketeer quests bug out on them. After finding the initial footprints with sonia, she isnt in the house, and there are no footprints spawning. Ive completed the rest of the quests and have fully beaten the game and everything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)