Pokemon Sword & Shield Isle of Armour & Crown Tundra discussion

Does anyone have some more screenshtos or video of Articuno flying around?
I must be blind because i've flown back to the ice hill plenty of times gone up & down for view points ,rode all around the giant step (body? both? whatever), flung the camera every which way, kept my eye out for shadows and I just cannot see where this thing is

As an aside, while chasing Moltres, I appreciated that you could basically always see it flying around the island at a distance.

I must be blind because i've flown back to the ice hill plenty of times gone up & down for view points ,rode all around the giant step (body? both? whatever), flung the camera every which way, kept my eye out for shadows and I just cannot see where this thing is

As an aside, while chasing Moltres, I appreciated that you could basically always see it flying around the island at a distance.
You gotta look at the shadow.

You gotta look at the shadow.
OK wait, this literally starts out with articuno showing up and flying forward. And as he chases it up the hill, the shadow is clearly visible and you can see it still flying up the hill.
I am not seeing that at all. There's not even a shadow.

Also if this works anything like the other birds it should follow a set path to that clearing even if you dont immediately chase it over the course of what looks like about a minute, yeah? But I've definitely not seen it hanging out over there as i went up & down that hill. Meanwhile with Moltres I set it going without seeing it, but was able to see it continue its flight path over the horizon after biking around the dojo area for a bit.

I think I might actually be glitched? I should try resetting the game, it's been on (in sleep mode) since last night.

OK so I just restarted the game and flew to the hill point. Heard articuno as per usual but

There's nothing here, model or shadow. I waited a few seconds just in case it started behind me (& not seen are other attempts where i swung the camera around in case it went on a different path) but nothing.

I heard it again around this point in the hill. I swung the camera around slowly but saw nothing behind, to the side or i nfront of me. I did this a few times and detoured to the regi temple just in case but I still didn't see it or even its shadows anywhere

This is the clearing at the top of the hill, though I've swung the camera down the mountain to see if I was just faster than the articuno.

Do Calyrex and Spectrier/Glastrier get the same nature when you capture them? Or how does that work?
They do not. Everything is different between them.

Source: I have been trying to SR for double 0 attack IVs for hours now.

GameFreak, whyyyyyyyyyy couldn't you give us an NPC that takes dynite ore to zero out an IV or something??? This is awwwwfulllll

No idea if it'll work for you, but I first found it in the clearing out front of the Registeel (I think) temple. I heard it a bunch of times previously, but never saw it until then. I caught both Zapdos and Moltres first, though--not sure if that has anything to do with it.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
They do not. Everything is different between them.

GameFreak, whyyyyyyyyyy couldn't you give us an NPC that takes dynite ore to zero out an IV or something??? This is awwwwfulllll

No idea if it'll work for you, but I first found it in the clearing out front of the Registeel (I think) temple. I heard it a bunch of times previously, but never saw it until then. I caught both Zapdos and Moltres first, though--not sure if that has anything to do with it.
Fun Fact, due to 50/50 odds of the Attack IV being set to 31, it's a 1 in 64 chance each. 64 times 64 is 1 in 4096. It's like you're Shiny Hunting!

A 0 IV guy would be amazing...

Edit: Just so you don't miss what I say later if you want to do this without losing your sanity.
If you want both, I suggest going for one and making a new profile on your Switch for a new save file and going for the other on it. You can trade from the your extra save file to someone else's game on another Switch then from that Switch back to your main save. (I wish I remembered this earlier so I could have suggested it before you settled for single digit IVs.) As a bonus, you can also get the steed you didn't pick too if you use another save.

Last edited:
Speaking of 0 IVs, I was considering catching the Ice Calyrex but apparently you actually catch it as a fusion. So when you separate it, does the Glastrier generate a separate IV spread? Or does it just mirror Calyrex's?

Speaking of 0 IVs, I was considering catching the Ice Calyrex but apparently you actually catch it as a fusion. So when you separate it, does the Glastrier generate a separate IV spread? Or does it just mirror Calyrex's?
They do not [mirror]. Everything is different between them.

My post was about Spectrier, but I would be absolutely shocked if it weren't true for Glastrier too,

The regice temple seemed to do it this time, though I did have to do it three times.

I almost didnt notice it again, this time mostly because my tundra is experiencing low visbilkity blizzard (still didnt see those damn shadows, only saw it out of the corner of my eye once i got back to the main trail), but I went over to the clearing just as it arrived waiting for me.

bizarre!

My post was about Spectrier, but I would be absolutely shocked if it weren't true for Glastrier too,
If that's the case, getting a good TR spread for both Calyrex and Glastrier seems like a nightmare. Really surprised 0 IV bottle caps weren't introduced since we have ability patches now.

I think it probably starts & stops at them seeing 0IVs as niche and a downgrade you want to avoid.
Like they definitely have their use, but I'm sure they see "trick room strats" and "avoiding confusion damage/foul play" as more niche than "having ~the best~ ivs" or "changing your nature" or "resetting the EV spread because you messed it up"

Course they also seem to view Hidden Abilities as a straight upgrade since they can't go back from one so priorities seem a bit skewed regardlses...

I think it probably starts & stops at them seeing 0IVs as niche and a downgrade you want to avoid.
Like they definitely have their use, but I'm sure they see "trick room strats" and "avoiding confusion damage/foul play" as more niche than "having ~the best~ ivs" or "changing your nature" or "resetting the EV spread because you messed it up"
I fully believe that's true, and I wish someone would remind GF that just last gen they gave us scripted dittos that specifically had 0 atk or speed IVs for breeding purposes! And it's not like trick room is exactly a rare strategy in VGC :smogthink:

In related news, I have decided that life is too short and settled for 5 atk Spectrier and 7 atk Calyrex. :psywoke:

I fully believe that's true, and I wish someone would remind GF that just last gen they gave us scripted dittos that specifically had 0 atk or speed IVs for breeding purposes! And it's not like trick room is exactly a rare strategy in VGC :smogthink:

In related news, I have decided that life is too short and settled for 5 atk Spectrier and 7 atk Calyrex. :psywoke:
Oh even more recently, they gave us that Amoonguss with a 0 IV in attack and speed. Also, congrats on sparing your sanity lol.

I Forgot those scripted Dittos had 0 IVs in attack & speed, go figure. What a cool thing those dittos were in general, though.

Maybe in the next games they'll just go for broke and just have a "attackless" and "speedless" bottle cap. Go from beating around the bush to just beating the bush entirely

Oh even more recently, they gave us that Amoonguss with a 0 IV in attack and speed. Also, congrats on sparing your sanity lol.
wasn't that amoonguss, along with the Porygon2 and Gastrodon (?), based on a championship thing?

wasn't that amoonguss, along with the Porygon2 and Gastrodon (?), based on a championship thing?
Yup they were. Although the Porygon2 had some randomized IVs for some reason while the other 2 were 100% perfect if I recall right.

So just to confirm, the stats/nature of the horses are absolutely, definitely generated at the same time as for Calyrex, right? Not before at the first encounter, and not later when you unfuse them? I'm planning to SR for them, too, and have spent all day on Google trying to figure out exactly when the moment of truth is.

I know this might look like a dumb question at face value, but with the birds in the mix and how those work I'm feeling a bit paranoid.

So just to confirm, the stats/nature of the horses are absolutely, definitely generated at the same time as for Calyrex, right? Not before at the first encounter, and not later when you unfuse them? I'm planning to SR for them, too, and have spent all day on Google trying to figure out exactly when the moment of truth is.

I know this might look like a dumb question at face value, but with the birds in the mix and how those work I'm feeling a bit paranoid.
I don't know for certain that the horses' stats are generated when Calyrex is caught vs. when you first unfuse them, since you would have to save after catching Calyrex to test. Someone who either doesn't care about either mon's stats or someone with a hacked Switch that can reload their save state to before they caught Calyrex would have to test.

I was able to shake the dyna tree simply by being persistent when the game asks me to keep shaking. After a good number of shakes, a Dynamax Greedent fell down. Beating it rewarded me with a lot of berries. The tree then appears to be unshakable, but probably resets tomorrow.
Any further info if the tree is one time only or not?

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I don't know for certain that the horses' stats are generated when Calyrex is caught vs. when you first unfuse them, since you would have to save after catching Calyrex to test. Someone who either doesn't care about either mon's stats or someone with a hacked Switch that can reload their save state to before they caught Calyrex would have to test.
I only cared about Calyrex! :D After catching them, Glastier keep on having Naive with the IV checker saying Best/Pretty good/Decent/Decent/Best/Best when I reloaded the save and separated them for the first time. The steed's Nature and IVs are set when you catch Calyrex. That's annoying if you want both Legends to have 0 IVs, but it makes sense.

If you want both, I suggest going for one and making a new profile on your Switch for a new save file and going for the other on it. You can trade from the your extra save file to someone else's game on another Switch then from that Switch back to your main save. (I wish I remembered this earlier so I could have suggested it before you settled for single digit IVs.) As a bonus, you can also get the steed you didn't pick too if you use another save.

Not as important, but two neat little things are that the steed has the ball you caught Calyrex in and you don't need to separate them for the steed's Pokedex entry.

Last edited:
I can confirm that Rowap Berry is now obtainable from a berry tree. Also berry trees still have Skwovet but they're slightly higher than level 60. Personally I'd expect at least Pineco to make a comeback to have some diversity.
EDIT: Just shook down Jaboca and Micle, so now I have an even better screenshot!
1603571273874.png
1603571394984.png

I can confirm that Rowap Berry is now obtainable from a berry tree. Also berry trees still have Skwovet but they're slightly higher than level 60. Personally I'd expect at least Pineco to make a comeback to have some diversity.
EDIT: Just shook down Jaboca and Micle, so now I have an even better screenshot!
Indeed, it seems at least one of the berry trees in the Tundra ONLY drops weakness mitigation berries.

EDIT: So, some Day 2 information...

- The hidden Mints across Giant's Bed regenerate, and seem to be randomized.
- While some might already know about this, in order to make Keldeo spawn, you first have to show Sonia the Swords of Justice. If you don't, even if you make some curry where Keldeo spawns, nothing happens. A good way to check is that, for Keldeo to spawn, there must be footprints near the pot.

Last edited:
I've beaten the story arc of the Crown Tundra, done some Dynamax Adventures, and beaten the Galarian Star Tournament, and here are some of my thoughts so far:

• Galarian Slowking: I like this thing a lot. I'm not sure if it'll be competitive, but Poison/Psychic with a huge movepool, Base 110 Special stats, Regenerator, and an absolutely evil signature attack that both deals damage and drains PP is a large basket of potential worth exploring.
  • Galarian Articuno: My personal favorite of the birds, in part because I'm often more partial to Special Attackers, and also because I felt as though Articuno deserved better than the treatment it had been getting for the last several generations. Sadly, I wouldn't hold my breath expecting it to be all that competitive because it has the stats of a special attacker but the movepool of a defender. This is a problem that Espeon also knows all too well, so if it isn't seeing much competitive action, there's a good chance Galarticuno won't either. Still an upgrade from its Kantonian form, though, so I can't complain too much.
  • Galarian Zapdos: Meet the Roadrunner on steroids. This is probably my personal least favorite of the birds (I still really like it, though), but my interests clearly didn't factor in to Game Freak giving this thing the moon. 125 Attack, 100 Speed, a ridiculous movepool featuring moves like Blaze Kick, Stomping Tantrum, U-Turn, and (insert just about any good Fighting- or Flying-type attack here)... yeah. Just like the Kanto forms, Zapdos is probably the most likely of the birds to be a competitive staple. Beep beep, bitches.
  • Galarian Moltres: I'm loving the design, but I'm not really sure what to make of its battle capabilities. If it could learn Defog or Roost, it could potentially eclipse Mandibuzz, but without them, it just feels like another missed opportunity. At least it isn't 4x weak to Stealth Rock anymore. Progress, amirite?
  • Regieleki: The more I see these stupidly fast Electric-types with triple-digit attacking stats sprouting up, the more grateful I am that Aura Wheel is exclusive to Morpeko. Imagine how overkill it would be in the hands (or cages, I guess) of this thing that is now the fastest Pokemon in the whole game. Alternatively, it gets its own asinine signature attack in Thunder Cage, which has the base power of Zing Zap and traps opponents for up to 5 turns. If there's one thing that will rein it in, though, it's its movepool. Its best non-Electric special attack is Ancient Power, and it has horrible coverage overall with nothing decent to use against Ground-types. So it's probably not unreasonable to suggest that Tapu Koko and Zeraora are still going to beat it out on most teams. Then again, I was doubtful that Dracovish would become Ubers fodder all because of Fishious Rend at the start of Gen 8, and look at how that prediction turned out.
  • Regidrago: Ah, this thing. Cool design and concept but plagued with awkward stats, lackluster movepool, and stiff competition from other better mons... Regidrago is proof that it's not always better to stop while you're, well... a head. Good thing Dragon's Maw exists, otherwise Guzzlord of all things would completely outclass it.
  • Calyrex: Its base form... I don't think I need to say anything. But its fusions with its steeds? Yeah, I got a lot to say about them. Ice Rider has the potential to be devastating in Trick Room with its Base 165 Attack, 100/150/130 bulk, and Ice STAB being bolstered by a powerful attack in Glacial Lance. As for Shadow Rider? Just plain overkill right out of the gate. Its Special Attack is the same as IR's Attack, and its Speed is the same as IR's Defense. It seems as though a lot of people picked its Shadow Rider form, and it's not hard to see why. My personal excuse for picking it (before I saw their base stats) was because I already had an Alolan Ninetales and didn't feel like I needed a second Ice-type.
  • As for its steeds (Glastrier and Spectrier), you can look at Calyrex's forms with them to gauge how they function. One's a slow and bulky Ice-type with a huge Attack stat, the other's a fast and less bulky Ghost-type with a huge Special Attack stat. Again, I personally prefer Spectrier, just because I like the look of it more.
I like all of them, even though I don't think all of them will be competitive staples.

• First off, with the collection of returning mons, my personal favorite Pokemon from each generation is now officially in the games (Starmie, Umbreon, Metagross, Garchomp, Volcarona, Hawlucha, Alolan Ninetales, Dragapult). I can't complain about that.
  • Also nice to see Aggron, Crobat, Walrein, Salamence, Victini, Genesect, the Hoenn starters, the Nido family, and the Ultra Beasts come back (although you'll have to bring some of those I listed in using HOME).
  • So fossil mons are just outright available in the wild, are they? Let me guess: about a million people revived fossils, bred them like crazy in an effort to Shiny hunt them, released all the non-Shiny ones, and they all emigrated to the Crown Tundra once they were released. And nobody bothered to do that with the Sinnoh fossils, hence why they can't be found there while the others can.
  • Am I the only one who isn't thrilled by Dynamax Adventures just shoveling virtually every Legendary Pokemon from past gens into the den? To me, this seems like a somewhat lazy way to reintroduce them and removes the potential for them to serve a purpose in any future expansion passes, if we get such a thing again at all.
Personally, I think the Isle of Armor had the better collection of returning Pokemon, even if for nothing else than the fact that 30% of it wasn't just returning legendary mons that aren't even in the regional Dex. That said, it's still a solid roster overall. It does leave about 200+ Pokemon left to return, which makes me wonder if we might potentially see another expansion pass and/or DP remakes next year. Worth noting that Pokemon's 25th anniversary is coming in February, and they're almost certainly going to do something for it.

• Dynamax Adventures has been a cacophony of success and failure for me. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it ends in utter disaster. I think Yveltal used this as a vector to exact revenge on me after I willingly traded a Shiny one away (which btw looks hideous) for a Shiny Rayquaza someone offered me through a Link Trade. It took me about six tries before I finally caught it. And yes, that was with other human players. The only time I did DA with the NPCs was the tutorial adventure.
  • The Galarian Star Tournament wins my vote for the best new battle feature since the PWT. I've always loved Double Battles, and I've always enjoyed being able to team up with a partner to challenge 2 opposing trainers at the same time. That said, I think this tournament would be even better if every trainer's Pokemon (including yours) were all fixed to the same level range. Leon and Mustard both have Pokemon as high as level 80 while Sordward's and Shielbert's teams are complete jokes in comparison at level 65. So it matters quite a lot which partner you choose at the start, as there's a good chance you're going to have to do a great deal of heavy lifting in the tougher battles. But still a lot of fun, and I'd take it over the Battle Maison or Tree from the last two generations any day.
  • Took long enough for something like the Ability Patch to finally start existing. I used my first (and only thus far) on an Arctovish. Slush Rush-boosted Fishious Rend with my trusty Alolan Ninetales at the helm has been dominating online battles.

Overall: I was more hyped for the Crown Tundra than I was the Isle of Armor right from when they were first announced, and lo and behold, I like the CT more than the IoA. On the other hand, I also like both of them more than I did the main story of SwSh, so... yeah, good stuff overall. Here's to hoping we get an even better expansion pass next year. Or DP remakes. Or Gen 9 games with a better main story. I don't know, I'm going back to playing the Galarian Star Tournament for now.

Last edited:
the DLC has me hoping that they're able to work through whatever problems they had with developing SWSH because while I still dont trust having a full game experience with wild areas, they are much mroe comfortable and enjoyable in terms of level design, visuals (....to a point) and character.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)