Porygon2

But he'll never switch into Shadow Tag Chandelure. It's impossible.
It's completely possible, provided you have a Shadow Tag Chandelure/Gothitelle/Wobbuffet of your own against the other person's Shadow Tag Poke.

Even then, what would Tracing Shadow Tag help you with? The Chandelure would either kill you or switch out.

Sometimes mine was meh (I think toxic stall plus TR setup may be too much to put on a set effectively, but exchanging charge beam/discharge for icebeam may be worthwhile...) but damn can it take hits. At Lv 43 (after EV training) taking superpower from a level 60 ingame Darmanitan? Yes please. It really proved itself in doubles by stalling out a Krookadile and Jellicent at the same time (on wi-fi) using toxic. I thought it was GG once it was alone against them... then it wouldn't die... it'd recover before it was in real danger...

We're getting usage statistics soon, so that should give us an initial idea of whether Porygon2 might be allowed in UU play or not.

He's probably a UU player that's pissed at P2 walling his team upside-down.

Admittedly though, Porygon2 barely made the mark, along with Tornadus. I'm not surprised to see them get kicked down the next time.

Magic Coat is a great option on porygon 2 leads to counter SR leads. Porygon 2 even counters phazers this gen. I feel magic coat is a better option over toxic and t-wave as that doesn't protect against porygon2. Obviously magic coat is a huge risk and mis-prediction will really hurt porygon 2, so he needs really good teammates. Just a suggestion =D!

I'm not sure if this was answered before so forgive me for asking this, but does the ability Unaware ignore the Eviolite's boosts?

I'm not sure if this was answered before so forgive me for asking this, but does the ability Unaware ignore the Eviolite's boosts?
It doesn't. Unaware only ignores stat boosts picked up during battle, like through Swords Dance or Calm Mind. In this case, Eviolite Porygon2 can easily take whatever Quagsire can throw at it, bar Toxic.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Just a quick question. We all know porygon2 is bulky as hell, and probably one of the best gyarados counters in existence, but what if gyarados isn't carrying intimidate?? How much damage will he take without the attack drop??

It's completely possible, provided you have a Shadow Tag Chandelure/Gothitelle/Wobbuffet of your own against the other person's Shadow Tag Poke.

Even then, what would Tracing Shadow Tag help you with? The Chandelure would either kill you or switch out.
Nothing really, only to trap the pokemon we don't want to trap.

If both Pokemon have Shadow Tag, either of them or both can switch out.
In other words, Shadow Tag also gives you inmunity to being trapped by Shadow Tag(lol, but true)
I don't know the mechanics in doubles and triples, but I don't think is relevant now.

Maybe they changed it on 4th Gen because to avoid as possible a boring PP war Wobbuffet vs. Wobbuffet, they also changed struggle recoil, 25% of total HP lost to the user who struggles, to avoid a theoretical draw like ADV Wobb vs. Wobb.

So, If you let something die/U-turn/Volt Switch/Baton Pass/Shed Shell to switch Porygon to face Chandelure, if the Chandelure is not Choice Specs nor CM, the opponent will likely to switch Chandle out.

Wobbuffet is only scared of Pory if it had Magic Coat to bounce back a possible Encore. The same for the gothic girl, but about her support movepool.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just a quick question. We all know porygon2 is bulky as hell, and probably one of the best gyarados counters in existence, but what if gyarados isn't carrying intimidate?? How much damage will he take without the attack drop??
Defensive Porygon2 on SmogonDex vs +1 Moxie Offensive Gyarados in Rain
~ Gyarados's Waterfall: 45-54% to P2
~ Porygon2's Thunderbolt: 87-102% to GDos

So the odds are in Porygon2's favor, even with Rain, +1 DD, and no Intimidate :0. Watch out for the 20% flinch, of course.

ive had success with P2 in ou against dragonite and to a lesser extent salamence and haxourus. also gyarados and gliscor, but is used primarily for dragons

my set:
Bold nature @eviolite (duh)
252 defence, 252 HP, 4 SpDef
trace ability

Icebeam
Thunderbolt
thunderwave
recover

anyway with this i switch in to Dragonites, ususally while they set up a dragon dance. trace the multiscale, at this point im guarenteed to survive any attack it deals. thunderwave it, so just incase it deals over half, i can recover if neccisary. often they will bust out an outrage, so the parafusion comes in handy. at this point i can recover up to full health AND icebeam it to death, with multiscale broken, depending on its build. plus at that point, being at full health with a eviolite and multiscale, nothing can OHKO it (well probably, never have been so far and ive been using this set for months) let alone 2KO it.
additionaly, no one seems to expect porygon2 having both thunderbolt and icebeam for what ever reason. and often found people who carry a dragon or gliscor with gyarados and never suspect i carry both so the switch in on porygon to absorb thunderbolts (dragons and gliscor) or icebeam (gyrados) only to be surprised. what ever.

also i love the trace ability. a few times actualy ive been toxic'd, then switched in on gliscor, traced poisen heal and pretty much become a superwall.

also the only checks ive found so far are reuniclus and gastrodon...
i often run this on my sun team, and is essentially the backbone. i believe it should be in ou, but alas.
just thought i'd share this

I'm a player who uses P2 and he's absolutely amazing he is he sole defencive pivot in my team and is actually reliable unlike my useless spinner (Blastoise) When he's gone my team is quite defensively weak but yes he is a check to Chandelure but not a hard counter because he has nothing to damage him back. He's a very solid wall in UU and walls the shit out of anything not called Heracross but in OU there are just better walls to use

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Yeah, Porygon2 is incredible in OU. Its downfall is Fighting attacks... which just happen to be everywhere. Still, tracing Intimidate, Multiscale, all of the absorbing abilities, and even Chlorophyll on occasion makes it worth trying out.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
If you can safely switch porygon2 into dragonite (on a DD, heal bell, t-wave, etc), porygon2 becomes almost impossible to take down. Porygon2+Eviolite+Trace+Multiscale=Bulkiest porygon2 ever!!! Of course, you also need to make sure there are no entry hazards, or this will fail.

What I like less of this 'mon is it is a setup/spikes bait for almost everything not weak to its moves since it cannot pseudo-haze.

For that reason I consider TW an option in the 4th moveslot.

[...]
anyway with this i switch in to Dragonites, ususally while they set up a dragon dance. trace the multiscale, at this point im guarenteed to survive any attack it deals. thunderwave it, so just incase it deals over half, i can recover if neccisary. often they will bust out an outrage, so the parafusion comes in handy. at this point i can recover up to full health AND icebeam it to death, with multiscale broken, depending on its build. plus at that point, being at full health with a eviolite and multiscale, nothing can OHKO it (well probably, never have been so far and ive been using this set for months) let alone 2KO it.
additionaly, no one seems to expect porygon2 having both thunderbolt and icebeam for what ever reason. and often found people who carry a dragon or gliscor with gyarados and never suspect i carry both so the switch in on porygon to absorb thunderbolts (dragons and gliscor) or icebeam (gyrados) only to be surprised. what ever.
[...]
Somewhat strange. Porygon's standard set has usually been ice beam/thunderbolt(discharge) and sometimes TW in all gens(GSC less)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)