Not open for further replies.
Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 6 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Spd
Timid
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Fire Blast

This Tyranitar takes advantage of the counters that would normally be faster then it, and and not only outspeeds them, but 1-2HKOs them, or force a switch. Note that Stealth Rock can make a difference here.

Fire Blast:

1HKO Abomasnow (Max HP)
1HKO Scizor
1HKO Forretress (Max HP)
1HKO Lucario
1HKO Yanmega
1HKO Breloom
1HKO Weavile (Adamant version, mainly. T-Tar will also survive a Brick Break is Expert Belt, Life Orb or Choice Band is not involved for some reason.)
85% - 100% Skarmory (Max HP)
91% - 106% Tangrowth (Max HP)
74% - 87% Heracross (Non-Choice Scarf Version)

Thunderbolt:

1HKO Gyarados (Max HP)
43% - 61% Walrein (Max HP)
32% - 38% Empoleon (Max HP/Max SpDef/Calm) (Was not sure of the standard, so I decided to go with the max)

Ice Beam:

1HKO Garchomp
1HKO Salamence
1HKO Dragonite (No EVs/Neutral Nature)
1HKO Gliscor
52% - 61% Hippowdon

Dark Pulse:

1HKO Gengar (Minimal HP EVs/No SpDef EVs)
1HKO Froslass
98% - 115% Alakazam
98% - 115% Azelf
94% - 110% Starmie (Minimal HP EVs/No SpDef EVs)
78% - 93% Mismagius (Minimal HP EVs/No SpDef EVs)
75% - 89% Starmie (Max HP EVs)
65% - 76% Slowbro (Max HP EVs)
57% - 66% Claydol (Max HP EVs)
53% - 62% Celebi (Max HP EVs)
43% - 51% Dusnknoir (Max HP/Max SpDef/Careful)
38% - 45% Cresselia (Max HP) (Posted due to Moonlights hinderance in Sandstorm)

Creative? I guess. Useful? Well... I'm not done testing and there probably will be a bit more tests / modifications before this thing becomes useful.

I give you... ChompSwamp.

Garchomp @ Leftovers
Impish 252 Def ?? Speed rest in HP
--------
Stealth Rocks
Earthquake
Dragon Claw
Flamethrower

This is still very specific to my ladder team, and if you read my recent warstory you can see my reasoning. With Garchomp faster, stronger, and more defensive than Swampert, I decided to give this a go. It covers my rock and electric resist, while 4 of my pokemon on my team resists ice (weavile, froslass, walrein, and tentacruel). So I always have a switch in ready for ice attacks.

You can also run roar on the set to have a true Swampert replacement. And I find that dragon tends to be a better attack and defense type than water, as long as you have plenty of switch ins to ice attacks.
I could definitely see that working. As you stated, it'd definitely be better on a team that had plenty of Ice resists. Out of curiosity...how much speed do you usually run? Garchomp obviously has the base speed to outpace lots of things, but given that you're focusing more on defense...and how does it fare against the common Garchomp switch-ins?

*too lazy to try and figure out what would happen*

Oh, and for the record, a defensive Salamence set probably does have some merit (serebii already has one listed, actually). It would basically function a lot like BulkyGyara, but it has Roost to work with instead of Taunt, which would make it less of a sweeping threat and more of a long-lasting tank.

As for the TTar set...you might try Focus Punch on Scarf TTar. As it is, you're walled by Blissey and, rather ironically, other TTars. It would also hit Empoleon and Walrein pretty hard, so you could put it over T-bolt. Looks like it'd be a pretty effective set, though it relies on prediction a lot (then again, that's just like most other choice users).

As for the TTar set...you might try Focus Punch on Scarf TTar. As it is, you're walled by Blissey and, rather ironically, other TTars. It would also hit Empoleon and Walrein pretty hard, so you could put it over T-bolt. Looks like it'd be a pretty effective set, though it relies on prediction a lot (then again, that's just like most other choice users).
I'm mostly relying on the opponent believing they have the upper hand due to Tyranitars terrible Speed. The fact that he is physical 9/10 of the time helps too. I don't plan to use this against Blissey, and sadly, other T-Tars as they obviously wall it very well, but I don't think most Blissey would want to switch into T-Tar. I can deal with the T-Tar resistance too. But Focus Punch is an option, certainly. I'll run some Calcs for that later.

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 6 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Spd
Timid
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Fire Blast

This Tyranitar takes advantage of the counters that would normally be faster then it, and and not only outspeeds them, but 1-2HKOs them, or force a switch. Note that Stealth Rock can make a difference here.

Fire Blast:

1HKO Abomasnow (Max HP)
1HKO Scizor
1HKO Forretress (Max HP)
1HKO Lucario
1HKO Yanmega
1HKO Breloom
85% - 100% Skarmory (Max HP)
91% - 106% Tangrowth (Max HP)
74% - 87% Heracross (Non-Choice Scarf Version)

Thunderbolt:

1HKO Gyarados (Max HP)
43% - 61% Walrein (Max HP)
32% - 38% Empoleon (Max HP/Max SpDef/Calm) (Was not sure of the standard, so I decided to go with the max)

Ice Beam:

1HKO Garchomp
1HKO Salamence
1HKO Dragonite (No EVs/Neutral Nature)
1HKO Gliscor
52% - 61% Hippowdon

Dark Pulse:

1HKO Gengar (Minimal HP EVs/No SpDef EVs)
1HKO Froslass
98% - 115% Alakazam
98% - 115% Azelf
94% - 110% Starmie (Minimal HP EVs/No SpDef EVs)
75% - 89% Starmie (Max HP EVs)
65% - 76% Slowbro (Max HP EVs)
57% - 66% Claydol
53% - 62% Celebi (Max HP EVs)
43% - 51% Dusnknoir (Max HP/Max SpDef/Careful)
38% - 45% Cresselia (Posted due to Moonlights hinderance in Sandstorm)
You probaly don't need max speed and at least could run Modest.

You probaly don't need max speed and at least could run Modest.
Modest with Max Speed won't even ensure to outrun Jolly Garchomp, and thus will fall victim to those he would normally KO. i.e. Starmie, Azelf, Garchomp, Gengar etc. It also puts it a few points above 361 while at Max speed, which will outrun said Pokemon, along with those designated to outrun 361 speed.

Hm, I forgot Mismagius and Weavile.

Creative? I guess. Useful? Well... I'm not done testing and there probably will be a bit more tests / modifications before this thing becomes useful.

I give you... ChompSwamp.

Garchomp @ Leftovers
Impish 252 Def ?? Speed rest in HP
--------
Stealth Rocks
Earthquake
Dragon Claw
Flamethrower

This is still very specific to my ladder team, and if you read my recent warstory you can see my reasoning. With Garchomp faster, stronger, and more defensive than Swampert, I decided to give this a go. It covers my rock and electric resist, while 4 of my pokemon on my team resists ice (weavile, froslass, walrein, and tentacruel). So I always have a switch in ready for ice attacks.

You can also run roar on the set to have a true Swampert replacement. And I find that dragon tends to be a better attack and defense type than water, as long as you have plenty of switch ins to ice attacks.
It sounds good in theory, but what do you do when you encounter a Swords Dance Weavile? If I remember the rest of your team correctly, you have Walrein, Tentacruel, Froslass, Weavile and Abomasnow. The only one I can see possibly stopping it after getting a SD in is Weavile itself, and that's a coin flip. Worse still, most SD Weaviles carry Focus Sash, and thus will have guaranteed survival from Brick Break if it happens to be outsped. Focus Sash variants are also more likely to run the maximum 383 speed as opposed to just 374 for base 120s. How much does yours run?

Garchomp may well have its advantages over Swampert, being more bulky and everything, but if it opens up a glaring weakness on your team it may not be worth it.

one thing, though, is that dt uses toxic spikes/spikes on his team as well as chomps stealth rock, so if he gets any of those down before he brings chomp out, weavile's sash is negated.

@Focus Sash
EVs: 252 att 252 spd 4 hp
Toxic Spikes
X-Scissors
Agility
Thief

The idea here is to use Agility, and survive with Focus Sash. You'll be faster than anything not wearing a Scarf. Then it's decision time. X-Scissor receives the 1.5x boost from Swarm and STAB making it an impressive 180 base power.

Also having used up your Focus Sash, you'll have the option to Thief away your enemies' item. This can be a last-ditch effort move after Beedrill has done his job, he can cripple one more Pokemon.

Lastly, if you decide to bring Beedrill out late in battle, you might lay down Toxic Spikes instead of attacking. If you're sure there are no Guts users, two layers of Toxic Spikes is crippling.

It sounds good in theory, but what do you do when you encounter a Swords Dance Weavile? If I remember the rest of your team correctly, you have Walrein, Tentacruel, Froslass, Weavile and Abomasnow. The only one I can see possibly stopping it after getting a SD in is Weavile itself, and that's a coin flip. Worse still, most SD Weaviles carry Focus Sash, and thus will have guaranteed survival from Brick Break if it happens to be outsped. Focus Sash variants are also more likely to run the maximum 383 speed as opposed to just 374 for base 120s. How much does yours run?

Garchomp may well have its advantages over Swampert, being more bulky and everything, but if it opens up a glaring weakness on your team it may not be worth it.
If you really want to know... I do what I always do. I switch Walrein in on the swords dance, survive the brick break, then sub/protect till it dies from toxic spikes. If no spikes were on the field, then I roar.

I also run max Jolly CB Weavile. Adamant Scarf weavile is always a surpriser, but I find that scarf heracross isn't that big of an issue, even with GUTs because of froslass.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
@Focus Sash
EVs: 252 att 252 spd 4 hp
Toxic Spikes
X-Scissors
Agility
Thief

The idea here is to use Agility, and survive with Focus Sash. You'll be faster than anything not wearing a Scarf. Then it's decision time. X-Scissor receives the 1.5x boost from Swarm and STAB making it an impressive 180 base power.

Also having used up your Focus Sash, you'll have the option to Thief away your enemies' item. This can be a last-ditch effort move after Beedrill has done his job, he can cripple one more Pokemon.

Lastly, if you decide to bring Beedrill out late in battle, you might lay down Toxic Spikes instead of attacking. If you're sure there are no Guts users, two layers of Toxic Spikes is crippling.
Uh, the problem with this set is that Beedrill sucks balls. He's going to do roughly 2 damage.

Uh, the problem with this set is that Beedrill sucks balls. He's going to do roughly 2 damage.
Geez, guy. Are you thinking of using this in standards? This Beedrill set at best I'd imagine being useful in UU, even though the damage it deals out is decent in OU. The main problem is weather though in OU. And almost zero chance of OHKO Tyranitar hurts it even further.

It's about a coin flip on 2HKOing max Att/Spd Garchomp after Swarm. Obvious OHKOs on Weavile, and Starmie. If neither are holding Scarf, he'll outspeed them after Agility. Of course, Steels/Poisons cause the set all sorts of trouble.

Thanks for the input though.

I've been bulldozing teams on WiFi all day with this set:

Clefable@Toxic Orb
Magic Guard
Adamant -- 252 HP -- 252 ATK -- 6 SPD

--Cosmic Power
--Softboiled
--Facade
--Meteor Mash

I've 6-0ed 4 teams :X It almost makes all the time I spent getting a good sofboiled clefairy into D/P with magic guard :<

Slower Hard hitting version.It needs Rash/Mild's power, and alot of those 2HKOs will turn into 3HKOs go with something like:

Dialga @ Choice Specs
Rash/Mild
96 EVs in Atk, 252 in SpAtk, 4 in Spd rest in HP
-Flamethrower/Overheat
-Draco Meteor
-Earthquake
-Toxic

I would go with Flamethrower unless something is 1HKO'd with Overheat but not Flamethrower.Flamethrower also has 10% more accuracy and you are not forced to switch afterwards.
this set basically runs 217 Spd meaning that you will outrun no speed Dialga, Giratina, and ho-oh but then I have been thinking does Dialga really fear them to much? I'm proposing quiet as a nature for this set what do you guys think the additional defense will also help him with quiet he runs 194 spd with no evs but I suggest adding a couple to either tie or outspeed max speed Shedinja what do you think?

@ Dragontamer

This isn't a really big argument... but swampert's typing gives it awesome resistances, whereas swampert has 5 resistances, 1 immunity, and 1 x4 weakness (which is predictable as hell) and garchomp has 3 resistances, 1 immunity, and two weaknesses, one x2 and one x4. As far as typing goes, swampert gets more switch-ins.

However, statwise, garchomp is surprisingly durable.

Aerodacyl@focus sash
jolly
EV 4 hp 252 speed 252 atk
stealth rock
taunt
stone edge
earthquake/whirlwind

this aero set is probably one of the best damn leads in the game. you will almost ALWAYS setup stealth rock as well as ruining all of your opponents walls and keeping them from setting up there own rocks. its amazing speed allows it to taunt almost anything, ruining skarm, bronz, hippowdon, and other stealth setup/wall leads. stone edge is just for a strong STAB attack that can kill sala, gyara, and other things. whirlwind if you wanna scout your opponents team after they switch out there wall after a tank (not to mention do some SR damage). or go earthquake just to cover things like magnezone and heatran. anyone who has fought me on shoddy has seen me use this set as my lead. Gengar also goes well with it to block rapid spin.

Geez, guy. Are you thinking of using this in standards? This Beedrill set at best I'd imagine being useful in UU, even though the damage it deals out is decent in OU. The main problem is weather though in OU. And almost zero chance of OHKO Tyranitar hurts it even further.

It's about a coin flip on 2HKOing max Att/Spd Garchomp after Swarm. Obvious OHKOs on Weavile, and Starmie. If neither are holding Scarf, he'll outspeed them after Agility. Of course, Steels/Poisons cause the set all sorts of trouble.

Thanks for the input though.
I don't know why you'd give that Beedrill Thief when it already has an item on it.

Edit: Is that item a consumable? Oh, damn.

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
- Hypnosis
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- HP Ice
Nature: Timid
EV's: 6 hp, 252 s.atk, 252 spd

I know what you're thinking. "Scarf on Gengar? And with HP Ice? What ARE you smoking?!"

While this might look crazy, it surprises people as a lead. Particularly when it Thunderbolts a Ninjask or sleeps a Weavile. It can also surprise a pokemon thats scarfed or had a speed boost or two. Scarfchomp on an Outrage? Outspeed and revenge kill. Gyarados got off a Dragon Dance while you weren't looking? Did it get off a second one on the switch? No problem! ScarfGar still outspeeds it and throws a T-Bolt at it. Dancing Salamences or Dragonites get ice'd as well. Shadow Ball is there for stab, but I've been contemplating Focus Blast for better Weavile and Dragon Dance Tyranitar coverage. Its also capable of outspeeding Starmie and giving it a Shadowball to the face, surprise the odd Jolteon with a Shadowball (though I'm pretty sure this isn't a KO unless its eating the Shadowball on a switch), or Thunderbolt an Aerodactyl. And what Dugtrio expects to get put to sleep by a Gengar? It can sleep many things it normally couldn't, which is a big plus as a lead. Though obviously you're in trouble if Hypnosis misses their Weavile lead unless they thought they were going to Swords Dance on the switch.

Needless to say, I love this guy. With the above spread, he reaches 525 speed. Speed Deoxys reaches 504 non-scarf'd. Scarfgar reaches .5 past lightspeed.

I wouldn't say you're crazy for using Scarf on Gengar (Actually, IIRC it's already listed on the analysis), but I would say you're crazy for using Timid nature on it. The extra speed that Timid provides doesn't help it outspeed anything at all (except maybe some strange thing like a Scarf Aerodactyl), and it really needs the extra power provided by Modest. Heck, I might even use Mild and put explosion on it, since a Scarf'd explosion is always handy if you let something power up too much on accident.

I wouldn't say you're crazy for using Scarf on Gengar (Actually, IIRC it's already listed on the analysis), but I would say you're crazy for using Timid nature on it. The extra speed that Timid provides doesn't help it outspeed anything at all (except maybe some strange thing like a Scarf Aerodactyl), and it really needs the extra power provided by Modest. Heck, I might even use Mild and put explosion on it, since a Scarf'd explosion is always handy if you let something power up too much on accident.
Duly noted. There's no ScarfGar set listed, but I thought it was mentioned somewhere in the analysis. Not seeing it though...

About the only thing it'd no longer outspeed with Modest or Mild nature is speed form Deoxys. I'm betting no one would be concerned with outspeeding that though, even in the Uber environment...

Huh, you're right...looking further down, one of the mods removed it awhile ago. My bad.

But anyways...yeah, it doesn't need that much speed. Even in ubers, speed form Deoxys is hardly used, and it often just runs enough speed to stay ahead of +speed Deoxys-F.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Dialga @ Expert Belt
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 120 HP / 138 Atk / 252 SAtk
Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Brick Break
- Draco Meteor
- Thunder
- Fire Blast

So this looks like a modified version of Mixmence, doesn't it? Well the moveset is, and the principles are. However, utilizing it is different, and what it does in ubers can be scarier than you can imagine (not literally)

So, let's see this all come together.
NOTE: Obvious OHKOs are omitted

Draco Meteor

vs. Max HP/no SDef Latias: 99%-100+%
Haha this will hurt Latias a lot. Not like Latias will switch into this anyways

vs. no HP/SDef Mewtwo: 87%-100%
This is generally a 2HKO. Add Stealth Rock and it's pretty much an OHKO. If Sandstorm is on the field as well, it can OHKO some higher HP Mewtwos

vs 32 HP/224 SDef Groudon: 70%-82%
Okay this is a really defensive CBGroudon EV spread from Advance and it takes this much from Draco Meteor. Good luck switching into this, Groudon. Fire Blast also 2HKOs Groudon thanks to Drought

vs. Max HP/Max SDef Boosting nature Deoxys-D: 46%-54%
This is at the absolute maximum. It does that much. Scary?
Actually no. Deoxys-D is one of its counters. Mind you, there are few

vs. 252 HP / 252 SDef stat boosting nature Giratina: 84%-99%
Dude no one uses Giratina as a special wall these days. You can expect an OHKO.

vs. 252 HP/no SDef Arceus: 54%-66%
This is assuming Arceus takes neutral from Draco Meteor. Arceus is one of the counters for Dialga, but only if it isn't weak to its four moves, or if it's defensive enough to take Brick Break (it can do that with ase, actually)
(Normal, Dark, Rock, Poison, Ghost, Psychic, Fighting and Ground). Stil takes quite a bit though, so beware when switching one in, unless you're racked up with Special Defense EVs or Calm Mind

Brick Break
vs. Max Def/no HP neutral Def Bliss: 52%-61%
Uber Blisseys don't go for + Def, so this works. 2HKOs most of the time. If you want a guaranteed 2HKO, remove HP EVs into Attack.

vs. Max HP/no Def Tyranitar: 79%-93%
Hi, I switch into your CBCrunch and BB you to death!

Fire Blast
vs. 208 HP / 160 SDef Metagross: 50%-59% in rain, 100%+ when not raining
This is a really defensive Metagross for ubers, and Fire Blast still goes through it in bad weather

vs Max HP/Max SDef Arceus that are weak to Firetype moves (Bug, Steel, ice, Grass): 55%-65%
This is without any weather disturbances. With Rain, it's obviously a 4HKO at best with no hax

vs Max HP/Max SDef nature boost Bronzong under normal weather: 74%-87%
In rain, it's still a 3HKO. So it's not a counter hehe.

Thunder

vs Max HP/Max SDef Calm Lugia: 49%-58%
It can 2HKO sometimes. Lugia isn't staying in to Roost off the damage because Thunder might paralyze Lugia. Lugias don't trun that much SDef from my experience so you can be safe that it's a 2HKO

vs No HP/no SDef Ho-oh: 75%-88%
2HKO and obviously OHKOs with Stealth Rock lololololol

vs no HP/SDef Kyogre: 84%-99%
SO close to an OHKO. It will be switching away from Dialga anyways, but it's still a pointer.

So, how do you counter this?

first of all, weather changes affect Dialga. Without Rain, Thunder is inaccurate and Lugia can somewhat wall you. IF it's raining, Arceus can wall you (unless that Arceus is Flying, water or dragon type). Deoxys-D with max SDef walls you completely, and so does Cresselia in sunlight.

It's slow. Most mixed sweepers are fast. How will I ever get this to work?
Use Dialga's resistances. Even with -Def nature, he can switch in fairly easily into physical things he resist (248 Def is still pretty good). Choiced moves are its advantage. Things like Mewtwo's Grass Knot/Shadow Ball, Kyogre's Thunder, Groudon's Stone Edge, Metagross' Bullet Punch, etc. are easy switch ins for Dialga.

Palkia exists, why use Dialga?
Well they're different. Palkia has a harder time switching into things while Dialga lacks the speed. Dialga doesn't fear Latias as much as Palkia, which is a bonus. Another advantage of Dialga is that this set is not anticipated by much and you might just be able to beat down their Blisseys out of a surprise.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Modest with Max Speed won't even ensure to outrun Jolly Garchomp, and thus will fall victim to those he would normally KO. i.e. Starmie, Azelf, Garchomp, Gengar etc. It also puts it a few points above 361 while at Max speed, which will outrun said Pokemon, along with those designated to outrun 361 speed.

Hm, I forgot Mismagius and Weavile.
What if you ran Life Orb, Modest, and Rock Polish? That'd make up for the deficit in speed from modest, give its special attacks a big punch, and let Tyranitar see what attack it should use. Since the idea of this set is to hit Tyranitar's counters (and use the element of surprise), I'd like to at least see what poke they're using as a t-counter.

For instance, say you switch this in on Cresselia. You'll know cresselia is going to switch out in fear of crunch, and they'll switch in a t-tar counter. But you don't know what it is! You could end up dark pulsing a forretress, and then your cover as a special tyranitar will be blown. They won't be bringing forretressin the next time, guessing you have fire blast.

If you use rock polish, they still have no idea what type of offensive attacks you're using, and you can switch between them freely. Also if you are rock polishing on the switch in, they will likely stay switched in, which will give you the chance to pick just the right attack to blast the snot out of them. IE that forretress is about to get fireblasted. :P

This would of course . . . take quite a bit away from T-tar's coverage but with the added punch from modest and life orb . . . I have no idea. lol

This is a Suicune I've been working on.

Mirrorphazecune
EVs: 252 HP 200 SA 56 DF
Relaxed Nature
Focus Sash
-Mirror Coat
-Roar
-Surf
-Rest

An anti-sweeper set. If someone manages to set up on you, bring this thing out. Lets say your opponent sets up and kills one of your pokes. Take out Suicune. Your opponent will hit first, Focus Sash will keep you alive. Surf any reversaler, roar away any physical sweeper you can't 1HKO with surf. Mirror coat will kill any special sweeper that gets in your way. You'll need to manage a way to heal afterwards, could be trick room, passing wish or on encore. It could also be done

Also, on a focus sash salamence, roar can be useful on a set with a lot of speed and with spikes or stealth rock out on the field. You'll be hard pressed to find something that can outspeed that.

That set should have Reflect and Mirror Coat. That way they won't hit you from the physical side.
Speaking of Suicunes, I made one a while ago.

Suicune @ Leftovers/ Light Clay/ Chesto Berry
Pressure: Bold
240 HP, 100 Defense, 152 Speed, 16 Sp. Defense
Surf/ Ice Beam
Reflect
Calm Mind
Roar/ Rest

This moeset is not new, by any means: however, where it shines is in the EV department.
It has 244 Speed, 401 HP, and 270 Sp. Defense. That means always faster than Tyranitar, Maximum leftovers recovery, and 270 is the perfect number to be working with Calm Minds at 401 HP. Rest was shoed in Defense, which is also taken advantage of by Reflect.

I would like to know what other people think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)