Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright - 3DS Killer App Announced

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
It's a Phoenix Wright game. I want it yesterday.

Though I always did wonder if Professor Layton fans got the same immense joy out of those games as I do Phoenix Wright. Most people who play one tend to play the other. I tried a bit of Layton though and it just seemed like a generic puzzle game to be honest. I've thought about giving it another try for a while now.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Most people I know play both and love both. Probably why I'm seeing so many of my friends freaking out in joy right now. I stopped playing Layton once my cousin mistakenly erased my file. I might give it another whirl before this comes out.

I was half expecting a ridiculous fighting game (would still buy it).

I have my expectations set high for this one.

having played both series (actually I'm playing the last Layton chapter right now) I can't say I would LOVE IT!

I just hope they won't do some bullshit with such a cross over adventure... and... they still haven't cleared out why Phoenix left, where maya's gone... do you think they'll place it before Apollo justice's events time?

I love both of these games.

This crossover will probably be the worst thing for either. It doesn't make sense anyway, the two games take place in completely different eras and places.

I love both of these games.

This crossover will probably be the worst thing for either. It doesn't make sense anyway, the two games take place in completely different eras and places.
What? They both take place in the modern era. AA is a few years into the future, but I really don't think that matters. And the location matters even less, and is easily fixed by either Layton & Luke or Phoenix & Maya taking a vacation and meeting the other two. Seems fine to me.

Those voices ruined Phoenix and Maya, they're supposed to be silent, text filled characters xD

This looks interesting, I'll have to get it.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
@Firestorm, the official website for the game is here.

Anyways, like my location says: it's going to be badass.

What? They both take place in the modern era. AA is a few years into the future, but I really don't think that matters. And the location matters even less, and is easily fixed by either Layton & Luke or Phoenix & Maya taking a vacation and meeting the other two. Seems fine to me.
Layton is set like 1950s or so. Maybe a bit later.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Also: the description is that they've been transported to a very different universe, where the "Storyteller" (apparently the antagonist) controls events in the game. So it's not necessarily "canon", though it could very well be if they make mention of it in later games.

Shu Takumi is a god and this game has single-handedly convinced me to actually pick up the Layton series, which I had for some reason neglected up until now. However, isn't this supposed to be Japan-only? Capcom has kind of trolled us like this before, with bullshit like "hey guys, I mean, maybe we won't give you Apollo Justice at all, ever think about that?" But yeah.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
When did the series ever die? Investigations was one of the best games in the series, probably the best (but not my favorite).

I think Investigations was the only game in the series that noticeably faltered in comparison to the others. I think even Apollo Justice held up really really well, but Investigations was just a little clumsy and bland to me (still very good overall though).

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think they just have "no current plans". Both games are pretty successful in North America and Europe so I assume we'll see a release in due time.

Shu Takumi is a god and this game has single-handedly convinced me to actually pick up the Layton series, which I had for some reason neglected up until now.
This totally.

There are many possible reasons for Investigations not doing as well as other titles. Some of the more rabid fans might blame AJ for souring the mood... But I wouldn't go that far. In any case, fan reaction was evidently positive enough to warrant a sequel, which will be released well before this game is released.

Never played either series, though heard great things about them and always wanted to give them a try, and this looks like a great opportunity to do that. Too many good 3DS games already announced though, it's like I no longer have a choice but to throw money at nintendo next year.

When did the series ever die? Investigations was one of the best games in the series, probably the best (but not my favorite).
Lol are you serious? I got so pissed off at that game; the ruining of Edgeworth's character, the constant use of characters from old games that I don't care about (Oldbag, Larry) and the whole last case dragged on forever with political bullshit I didn't care about at all. Not to mention how everything felt so forced, "admit to the crime even though you don't have to and you're not even in court.." (This is the bytesized version I could honestly write a 1000 word essay on how much I hated Investigations. I love Detective Badd though, I bet he's the only secondary character they don't bring back and reuse in every subsequent game.)

As far as this game goes, I started playing Professor Layton the day it was announced, it was pretty good but it's just like Brain Training or something with a stick thin story attached. Like, the puzzles were really, really fun, but by the end of it I was puzzled out and nothing made me want to play the second or third game, never mind watch an anime or jump on board any other lame bandwagon for grandmas with a ds.

I want Ace Attorney 5 more than this, but it definitely justifies getting a 3DS. No idea how they'll combine the gameplay, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)