1. Welcome to Smeargle's Studio! Please be sure to review the studio rules.
  2. Want real-time art feedback? Want to meet YILX FIRST PLACE ARTIST? Come chat with us in the studio's IRC channel! Log onto #smeargle on SynIRC, or click this link to visit us via mibbit!
  3. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  4. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Professor Smeargle: Digital Art Tutorial / Tutoring Thread

Discussion in 'Smeargle's Studio' started by Chou Toshio, May 4, 2011.

1. Danmire

Danmire Finding motivation.
    is an Artist Alumnus

Birkals right. If you're doing a rather large piece, try to take more than 1 hour on it.
  2. ium

ium hundefreund
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

i tend to alternate between long and short strokes for my lines, but to draw out general shapes for the former and to do adjustments or additions for the latter. it's really hard to do longer strokes unless you have a steady hand though so it's a matter of preference.

swift strokes are best of course, and starting off with a slightly thicker brush is easier to do. erase stuff when necessary, etc. aside from fixing mistakes, the eraser is also pretty neat for fixing up corners and ends.

also, if it helps, i like using a canvas at around 2000x2000 and my lines go anywhere from 6-12px depending on how simple the piece is going to be

p.s. i thought volmise already explained this......
  3. Andrew

Andrew beep boop
    is an Artist

Hey, this is a tutorial for making line art with with paths using GIMP. Hope ya'll find it informative and enjoy!
    Show Hide
    [​IMG]
  4. Bummer

Bummer .etiuq ooT
    is an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    Art Co-Leader

alright let's do this

a quick tut (open)
    [​IMG]

Bonus: If you want to have access to a legal version of Photoshop CS2, you can now download it directly from the official site. Here's another page guiding you through the process. I tried it this morning, and it appears to work excellently (on my old Windows Vista laptop, Mac users might need some further aid). If you need help, find me in #smeargle and I'll see if there's anything that's holding you up.
    icepick, Andrew, RitterCat and 5 others like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)