Project Rarelyused

Status
Not open for further replies.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Project RarelyUsed

Stealing this from tennisace, who stole it from Theorymon. RU is getting a little stale, so hopefully this can help liven things up a bit ^.^

Rules

1. You. must. actually. test. the. sets. you. post. I know you might think "I HAVE A REALLY COOL IDEA FOR A SET", but so do I. It doesn't mean they work at all. If your post shows obvious signs of not testing the set, mods will delete it, and you will be unhappy. Nobody wins. Commenting on sets you haven't tested in response to other posts is fine though.

2. When you post your sets, post a short description of the set, since people need to know the selling points of the set. At the very least, bullet point what it does well, what conditions it needs to succeed, and what it needs to watch out for. Keep in mind that the set database will be organized into 3 distinct sections, so designate which section your set is for. Here are the sets:
A. Creative Movesets. These posts work a lot like they would in a normal creative movesets thread, so just include the selling points of the moveset and/or Pokemon.
B. Standard Movesets with a TWIST. These are the kind of movesets that, while being similar to a standard moveset, make a modification that dramatically affects the Pokemon's playstyle. Examples would be a standard moveset having a unique item that has major selling points over the standard item, an EV spread that accomplishes a different goal, or a new move or two that alters the Pokemon's playstyle. Focus on how that small modification benefits the Pokemon in ways the regular item, moves, or ev spread can't achieve, and how this Pokemon's playstyle changes when compared to their standard set.
C. Underrated Movesets / Pokemon. There are several sets and mons out there that are well known to already work, but for some reason or another, just aren't used much, or have dramatically fallen in usage. When posting these sets, first focus on why you think the Pokemon's usage is low or why it has dropped so much. After that, give reasons for why you think this Pokemon is under rated. Think about answering questions like "Are there serious advantages to this Pokemon that most people miss?", "Does this Pokemon just need a specialized strategy to show its true potential?", and "How do you overcome the weaknesses that make this Pokemon's usage low?"

3. Think before you post. If your post is totally useless to the thread, it'll get deleted (or worse I'll sic Texas on you, and I think know he's rabid. Don't ask ;-;).

4. Post movesets from Sunday to Wednesday. Then, discuss those movesets every Thursday to Saturday. That way, we get a balance of posting and discussing!

Double01

Hate it or love it the under dog's on top
CM Slowking

Slowking (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off
- Surf/Scald
- Psyshock

Cm slowking was a fantastic poke that I found when I went looking for "gimmicky" sets. I decided to run a bulky set instead of an offensive set because I think Slowking is too slow to run an offensive set. With max Hp and def once slowking gets 1 or 2 CMs it is almost impossible to kill. Add slack off and regenerator to that equation and you have a beast. I was torn if I should run surf or scald. While surf gave me that extra power, scald help me cripple offensive threats like drapion. Psyshock was an obvious second choice being able to beat sp def behemoths like roselia and haze cryo. CM slowking is definitely a great poke that sweep unprepared stall and defensive teams.

SilentVerse

Into the New World
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Choice Specs Mothim

Mothim (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Yeah, I know I've been talking about this a lot recently, but it's honestly an awesome Pokemon lol. Mothim is very underrated, and it's actually a fairly anti-meta Poke because of a few reasons. First off, at the moment, a lot of people higher on the ladder are using the LO Tangrowth + Specs Slowking + OTR Cofagrigus core. Mothim single-handedly tears apart this core because the former two Pokemon are OHKOed by Bug Buzz and even OTR Cofagrigus is 2HKOed by Bug Buzz thanks to Tinted Lens. Secondly, because Cryogonal is so common and they tend to switch into Mothim expecting a Quiver Dance set, Mothim makes an excellent lure for it, since U-turn does a huge amount of damage to Specially Defensive Cryogonal (51.6% - 60.93%) which means that with Stealth Rock support, Mothim can actually take out Cryogonal by U-turning to deal that much damage to it, then switching to a faster Pokemon to force it out. In fact, Mothim is just absurdly powerful and difficult to switch into overall; the only two RU Pokemon who can avoid a 2HKO from Mothim if Stealth Rock is on the field are Clefable and Munchlax (standard Lanturn has a 63.67% chance to get 2HKOed after Stealth Rock from Bug Buzz, and even Specially Defensive Mandibuzz has a 22.27% to be 2HKOed by Hidden Power Rock after Stealth Rock). Obviously Mothim is stupidly frail, 4x weak to Stealth Rock and dies to almost everything, but if you can manage to get it in safely it's actually able to pull its weight and more.

Edit: Oh, and it has just enough Speed with Hidden Power Rock to outspeed max Speed Crawdaunt and Omastar, which is the benchmark for stuff like Feraligatr and support Rotom-C, meaning that Mothim can also tie with those other threats.

complete legitimacy

is it cold in the water?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Magmortar (M) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Vital Spirit
EVs: 76 HP / 252 SAtk / 180 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Expert Belt Magmortar is one of the best sets I've ever used. I originally thought of it while trying to come up with counters to Tangrowth, and I had had experience with Magmortar before. What really sets Magmortar apart is Thunderbolt and Vital Spirit. With Vital Spirit, Magmortar is pretty much the best switch-in to Tangrowth ever created bar Roselia, and can even take either an Earthquake from the defensive set or HP Rock from the offensive set. Thunderbolt is really useful in dealing with Tangrowth's partner in crime Slowking, and is a guaranteed 2HKO with Stealth Rock while having a chance to 2HKO without it. Right now, this is arguably the most anti-metagame Pokemon there is, but it takes a lot of prediction to use successfully. Expert Belt is preferred over Life Orb because Magmortar has good special bulk, and can even take an Absol Sucker Punch most of the time. But mainly, you don't want it to be a ticking time bomb since you usually need it around for a while, and Magmortar hits most of the tier super effectively anyway. Modest is chosen with less than max Speed because most of the things outsped by max Speed either can't do anything to you (Smeargle) or you shouldn't be staying in on them anyway (Medicham's usually Scarfed; Feraligatr, Kabutops, and Absol have priority; Gallade can take a hit and recover everything with Drain Punch). Other than that, this set is literally the best wallbreaker in existence, and I see it a ton on the ladder now (even some users that I didn't even give the set to!).

Entei @ Flame Plate
Ability: Pressure
252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Speed
Adamant Nature
-Flare Blitz
-Hidden Power Grass
-Toxic
-ExtremeSpeed

My favorite set on my new 2-min team that owned the ladder ;) . Anyway, this thing is great. Flare Blitz hits ridiculously hard even without a Choice Band due to Flame Plate. This is a better choice than Expert Belt since the move you will be using most often is Flare Blitz, which already destroys everything that it hits super effectively. ExtremeSpeed is nice priority and is especially useful when the opponent thinks you're choiced. Hidden Power Grass is awesome, and you can use it to eaasily get rid of things like Quagsire, Kabutops, and Omastar that switch in thinking that you're choiced. Toxic rounds out the set by allowing Entei to cripple Slowking, one of the only Pokemon that can actually switch in to this thing 100% of the time, for the game.

Ok, this is a set I've used for a good while with Lars and I've really had a lot of fun using it while also having great success with it too (well, by my standards)

Only this picture can describe what it does. All credit to Nahm.

Altaria @Dragon Fang
EVs: 200 HP, 252 SpA, 56 Spe
Modest, Natural Cure
-Draco Meteor
-Roost
-Power Swap
-Fire blast

Altaria is so great in RU. Despite its SR weakness, dragon typing allows our little cutie here to switch in frequently and heap on tonnes of damage to the opposition. Steel types aren't nearly as common in RU (and less common still the ones that have good special defense) so very often the opponent will be taking HUGE damage from draco meteor when they switch in despite altaria's modest (pun intendeded) special attack. Fire blast gives perfect coverage and does big damage to the likes of aggron and steelix expecting DD. Power Swap is very trollish and enables altaria to actually be a great counter to OTR cofagrigus who is so popular atm (look, I just got a +2 draco meteor, what should I aim it at?)

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
okay, i think 5 sets is enough to spark some discussion, for the next few says, we will discuss the following sets and how successful/bad they have been in your experience.

Calm Mind Slowking
Choice Specs Mothim
Expert Belt Magmortar
Flame Plate Entei
Power Swap Altaria

if any of the sets that are shown here get a reasonable amount of support, i will add them to the OP. Ill start some discussion by adding some of my own comments on the sets.

Calm Mind Slowking: I havent tested this yet or seen it used anywhere but this looks interesting to me, it certainly has the bulk to set up on things like moltres and fire off boosted STAB attacks, add reliable recovery and a great ability and you have a monster on your hands. Slowking is still very Vulnerable to toxic, though so i feel pairing it with a cleric such as clefable or audino could help out!

Choice Specs Mothim: Thank you for posting this SV, because honestly, for a bug/flying type with low stats that you can catch before the second gym, this thing is a great wallbreaker and huge threat to slower teams, especially ones that Rely on TanKing+OTR cofagrigus to take hits. This really deserves more use, and i want all of you to try the bug out.

Magmortar Simply put, Magmortar is one of the best pokemon in Ru at the moment, with its great coverage and surprisingly decent special bulk, ive won matches against more defensive teams with just this guy, with hazard support he can do serious damage to slowking and co: who are often seen as checks to it. Deserves more than 4% usage and should honestly be a top 20/10 mon imo.

Flame Plate Entei Ive faced this set before and it was pretty impressive, even without a choice band entei can do a lot of damage with flare blitz, and using toxic on slowking/quagsire etc on the switch is always nice. I also like how it bluffs a band so well, still being powerful, while taking no recoil (i lost to it because i thought it was banded, not gonna lie.)

Power Swap Altaria I have not seen many altaria in RU in general lately, but this looks pretty fun, altaria is pretty bulky and takes hits well, so it can easily get a meteor off, countering OTR cofa is also fun too :3. It reminds me of my favorite sets in NU, choice specs altaria!

anyways, you have the next three days or so to comment on the sets that have been posted, keep discussion civil, and have fun!

Endorfins

Your Worst Nightmare
is a Contributor Alumnus
I tried SIUs set and was disappointed with Hidden Power Grass's power as well as the lack of power that Entei has if it isn't holding a Choice Band. Still a great set and really fools people. However, I modified the set a little to give Entei a bit more power.

Entei @ Flame Plate / Heat Rock
Adamant Nature
-Flare Blitz
-SolarBeam / Toxic
-Sunny Day
-ExtremeSpeed

This set is really similar to the one that SIU posted, but it has some notable advantages. It is a shame that the event Entei is forced to have an Adamant nature as it really limits its ability to go mixed. I've found that Hidden Power Grass doesn't even OHKO Omastar, Kabutops and Quagsire, so I tried out a SolarBeam set. SolarBeam comfortably OHKOs all of the above (and Rhydon) and can at least dent the likes of Slowking and Qwilfish. However, the biggest drawcard of this set is its super strong FlareBlitz and ability to support stuff like Lilligant and Sawsbuck with Sun. FlareBlitz in the sun even OHKOs Steelix and 2HKOs Slowking after Stealth Rock damage. The sun also makes Scald do much less (around 32% for Slowking) letting Entei easily take down Lanturn and Slowking.

Ok, this is a set I've used for a good while with Lars and I've really had a lot of fun using it while also having great success with it too (well, by my standards)

Altaria @Dragon Fang
EVs: 200 HP, 252 SpA, 56 Spe
Modest, Natural Cure
-Draco Meteor
-Roost
-Power Swap
-Fire blast

Altaria is so great in RU. Despite its SR weakness, dragon typing allows our little cutie here to switch in frequently and heap on tonnes of damage to the opposition. Steel types aren't nearly as common in RU (and less common still the ones that have good special defense) so very often the opponent will be taking HUGE damage from draco meteor when they switch in despite altaria's modest (pun intendeded) special attack. Fire blast gives perfect coverage and does big damage to the likes of aggron and steelix expecting DD. Power Swap is very trollish and enables altaria to actually be a great counter to OTR cofagrigus who is so popular atm (look, I just got a +2 draco meteor, what should I aim it at?)
Completely agree, this set is the best thing I've come across in a long time. Probably comparable to my finding of Scarf Manectric, Power Swap altaria will remain a go-to set for any future team.

As an even bigger surprise to the opponent, I like to run Dragon Gem instead of Draco Plate, while Spud's item is far more consistent, the ability to lure a fire resist by using flamethrower and heavily denting or KOing the switch in is supremely satisfying. As previously stated, being an excellent counter to OTR Cofagrigus is no small feat. Cofagrigus will sometimes come in to set up on an apparent -2 Altaria after a KO and the tables can easily be turned with the -2 (or even -4) sitting on Cof after a couple turns.

This Altaria is also a good check to most Magmortar (which are running HP [ice] less and less) and can leave it also at -2 before switch in something else in to set up on it. In fact, Altaria can usually tank at least 1 neutral hit and do decent damage in return with the appropriate move (or it might even be able to reduce it to -2 to remove the threat).

Either way (on the offensive and defensive point of view) this has been one of the few sets on any Pokemon that rarely lets me down.

(I mean I'm not expecting it to OHKO a slowking, I do have realistic expectations)

I tried SIUs set and was disappointed with Hidden Power Grass's power as well as the lack of power that Entei has if it isn't holding a Choice Band. Still a great set and really fools people. However, I modified the set a little to give Entei a bit more power.

Entei @ Flame Plate / Heat Rock
Adamant Nature
-Flare Blitz
-SolarBeam / Toxic
-Sunny Day
-ExtremeSpeed

This set is really similar to the one that SIU posted, but it has some notable advantages. It is a shame that the event Entei is forced to have an Adamant nature as it really limits its ability to go mixed. I've found that Hidden Power Grass doesn't even OHKO Omastar, Kabutops and Quagsire, so I tried out a SolarBeam set. SolarBeam comfortably OHKOs all of the above (and Rhydon) and can at least dent the likes of Slowking and Qwilfish. However, the biggest drawcard of this set is its super strong FlareBlitz and ability to support stuff like Lilligant and Sawsbuck with Sun. FlareBlitz in the sun even OHKOs Steelix and 2HKOs Slowking after Stealth Rock damage. The sun also makes Scald do much less (around 32% for Slowking) letting Entei easily take down Lanturn and Slowking.
I really, really like this idea Endorphins. So much so that'd I'm gonna test it out right now. As soon as people see SD Entei they think: huh, guess he's using that special solarbeam set. And then get smashed by an incredibly powerful flare blitz... It'sgreat how SolBeam get all those KOs that HP grass misses too. And, as you said, it's great for Chlorophyll partners like Exeggutor and Lilligant. Not being a true Sun team mon though, I think that Flame Plate is definetly the better option, as the power of FLare Blitz with the plate and Sun is phenomenal. Kudos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)