PS Old Gen Sprite Crowdsourcing

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hello all users of Pokemon Showdown, as we are ending up finishing the beta's of multiple older generations I have been asked to collect the sprites, which is actually a lot of work. Thus I'm asking anyone to help out collecting every sprite so that we can have all the older sprites ready and available. The sooner this is done the sooner we can play the old gens they way they ought to look.

There are a few requirements the sprites will need so read this carefully. All the sprites must:

1. Be 96 x 96 pixels.
2. Must have a transparent background.
3. Front sprites must be centered, and back sprites must be centered horizontally and aligned at the bottom of the canvas
4. File format must be png.
5. Must be saved as the name of the Pokemon so bulbasaur.png or castform-rainy.png naming conventions (see here for reference: http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/bw/ )
6. Images must be taken from the smogon site, or a site that has them as freely available. Here are the sources I recommend:
-Smogon Sprites: http://www.smogon.com/download/sprites/ (ours are numbered and not named sadly)
-Veekun Downloads: http://veekun.com/dex/downloads
-Cave of Dragonflies: http://www.dragonflycave.com/sprites.aspx (HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended due to having named saves of rs-hgss, however no backs for some)
7. Once a set is done please put them all in a zip/rar and upload it using google docs, dropbox, or some other online service so I can mass download and collect everything.

To make this much easier I have created a chart to help us organize: You can find it here

In the chart you can reserve mons in groups of 50 each, which makes organization relatively easy to perform. If you have alternate forms in your sections refer to the sprites already on PS for BW ( http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/bw/ ) and if it isn't there you probably won't need it.

Helping with this is really easy, just a bit time consuming, that being said I've written up how I feel is the easiest way to make this all happen. Just follow this image guide here:

This guide will be using paint.net which you can find at http://www.getpaint.net/ everything here can also correspond to photoshop if you have that.

1. Grab the sprites you are using and put them all in a separate folder. For the purposes of this tutorial I am doing GSC: 250-300 which is literally just Celebi.

2. With paint.net open in one side drag and drop the file to open it.

3. If this is your first sprite grab the eyedropper tool (under eraser) and right click the transparent background (the checkerboard). If you can't see the tools or colors windows go to the Window tab and select it. Then go to the Image tab and select Canvas Size.

4. Input the dimensions of 96 width and 96 height. Make sure the anchor is in the middle.

But if I was doing a back sprite I'd want the anchor at the bottom like so.

5. Voila click ok and see your completed sprite, now save that bad boy!

6. Once you've done your set rename them to the pokemon names if they have't already. I strongly recommend having a national dex reference just to be safe for some of the weird spelling.

If you have any questions before helping out do feel free to ask them here!

scene

Banned deucer.
Old gen sprites will be very cool and really make the past gens feel authentic. I'll link to this thread in the PS news later - if you guys can, I encourage you to help out with the project and make PS even better!

e: or even better @ below

Last edited:

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
wait wtf

Veekun already has old gen sprites. Why do we need a thread? I could have written a script for it, too. Although if Zhorken wants to write the script, I'm fine with that.

Okay, I've got an R/S rar done, if you want to look at it and make sure I have it right. (It's only 1.2 MB so don't worry about bandwidth or anything.)

In particular: Luvdisc's sprite wasn't centered in the original image. (A lot of them aren't quite centered, but Luvdisc is noticeably off.) What I did was fully center it, but I could also leave it off-center within the 64×64 image, and just center the 64×64 sprite within the 96×96 image. Any preference there?

(Also, this is literally just R/S atm, i.e. Deoxys is missing all its Formes except Normal Forme.)

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
y'all are killing me right now.

Anyways I've taken a look and it all looks to be fantastic Zhorken, having things centre is nice but nobody would be able to tell if they are not exactly anyways so I'm not too concerned myself. If you can run that through for the rest that would be fantastic.

ALRIGHT I'm done. A few of the backsprites might be weird because I just shifted them to the bottom without remembering that some of them don't actually cut off — like Unown floats and you can see the whole thing, but I forgot and let it get bottom-aligned anyway and it looks a little weird. But whatever, I'm done. z_z Y'all can fix bits like that yourselves.

EDIT: Oh yeah there's also no Yellow frontsprites because Layell said he already did all those himself.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
Luckily zhorken and veekun totally didn't have transparent yellow backs which I totally made...

yeah we done here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)