Radiation IS Dangerous

Yup, stay away from the Sun, or die from radiation, or Venasaur. I've just started using a sun team, but I'm not terribly happy with the results, so I need some help here. Well, here goes nothing. I am going to have pretty length explanations up for some pokemon, if you want you can skim through but if you have the time I'd prefer you read through it.

Ninetales@Leftovers
Ability:Drought
EV's: 252 HP/92 SPD/164 SPE
Nature: Timid
-Flamethrower
-Will-O-Wisp
-Hidden Power Fighting
-Substitute

Basically a standard Ninetales, but I'm not so happy with it, since after it burns something it's pretty much useless IMO. I'd rather something gimmicky, I tried a set with Wide Lens and Protect/disable from another RMT and tested that out, but I'm not such a big fan. Maybe a Choice set, would that work? Anyway, Ninetales is obviously used for the sunlight, as well as to screw with other weather teams, and as of now thats pretty much it. It can be used to counter pokemon like scizor/ferrothorn I guess, but usually I can't afford the extra damage sending it out for any length of time causes it to accumulate.

Wobbufett@Leftovers
Ability:Shadow Tag
EV's:252 HP, 252 SPE, 6 DEF
Nature:Jolly
-Mirror Coat
-Counter
-Encore
-Destiny Bond

Man, oh man, has this thing got underrated. With it I'm almost guaranteed to get some setup time or an an important kill. Unlike my previous pokemon, this one I'm completely happy with. If you look closely, you see this Wobbufett is different than the standard ones because it runs Destiny bond. But why run destiny bond on something so slow, you ask? Let me explain that. Wobbufett's other moves for that slot are nothing special, safeguard can be used to set up on a status move, which is ok but situational, and Charm allows an easier set up time, which doesn't matter much since they usually switch right out when I bring a sleeper out. Destiny Bond, on the other hand, is extremely beastly. With Max Speed, Wobbufett can actually outspeed a decent number of threats, most importantly politoed, tyranitar, and hippowdon most of the time, which can help me KO those pokemon even if I'm weakened, and therefore help me win the weather war. additionally I can choose to use it after my opponent attacks if they'll 2hk0 me and I'm not sure if they'll use a physical or Special move, which will force them to either use a non attacking move which I encore and set up on, or to attack me and kill themselves, meaning I can often kill 2 pokemon with Wobb. destiny bond is also the only way to kill tyranitars who think they can ice beam/fire blast me and not get hit by mirror coat. I often lead with wobb when I see another weather team, because they like to lead against ninetales and get their weather up, then switch out quickly before Wobb can come in, not expecting me to lead with him

Dragonite@Lum Berry
Ability:MultiScale
EV's:252 ATK, 252 SPE, 6 HP
Nature:Adamant
-Dragon Dance
-fire punch
-Outrage
-Roost

The rest of my team is sweepers, some in and some out of the sun. I know it isn't a good idea to have so many boosters, but with Wobb its easy to set up, and I don't only rely on setting up with them anyway. This dragonite can hit hard right away, but if he gets set up you lose unless you have heatran, who causes my team alot of problems, especially with a balloon, but I try to play around him. Him and His twin sleeper Haxorus Will come in when theres an opportunity to set up but sun isn't up yet.

Mamoswine@Choice Band
Ability: Snow Cloak
252 ATK/252 SPE/6 HP
Adamant Nature
-Earthquake
-Icicle Crash
-Ice shard
Stone Edge

This Mamoswine's job is to put insane pressure on the opponent. he can beat dragon dancing dragons with Ice shard, grounded Heatrans with earthquake, as well as OHKO pretty much anything weak to it and 2HKO anything neutral to it. Icicle Crash is a great backup STAB, it can even occasionally 2HKO Skarmory! I don't use Stone Edge much, mainly for volcarona and stuff who I think I KO with earthquake anyway. I wanted superpower instead for Blissey/snorlax/chansey, but apparently I can't get it with Icicle Crash, which I don't want to give up

Venusaur@Life Orb
Ability:Chlorophyll
EV's:252 SPA, 252 SPE, 4 HP
Nature:modest
-energy ball
-hidden power fire
-growth
-sleep powder

this things deadly, after a chlorophyll can beat anything not resistant pretty much, and put to sleep the things that are, notably dragons and heatran. sleep powder also helps against scizor/tocicroak and stuff who think they can 2hko me with their priority attacks and stop me from sweeping, instead I put the to sleep possibly taking 1 attack along the way, growth on the switch, and sweep. energy ball is so I can use venusaur out of the sun, so it gets the edge over solarbeam, especially if a politoed decides to stay in thinking I have solarbeam

Bronzong@leftovers
Levitate
252 HP/84 ATK/80 DEF/92 spD
Nature: Sassy
-gyro ball
-earthquake
-stealth rock
-hidden power ice

serves as my defensive pivot, and gets rocks up. Bronzong is my switch in to many offensive threats, like Excadrill, Jolteon, Haxorus, ETC. can hit grounded heatrans on the switch with earthquake, hidden power ice is for dragons, and Gyro Ball is plain powerful. I'm not in love with him, but he does his job better than anyone else I can find

Well, thats it. I haven't used this team for that long yet, as this is my sun team I'm expecting to massively tinker with it till its a finished product. Oddly, this team usually does better against other weather teams, because Wobb is so adept at killing the weather inducer on the other team, and weather teams often fold over when they lose the weather advantage. I know there's gonna be tons of suggestions to make this team better, looking forward to seeing them!

previous members:

Haxorus@Lum Berry
Ability:Mold Breaker
EV's:252 ATK, 252 SPE, 6 HP
Nature:Adamant
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Brick Break

Very similar to Dragonite, but it just goes to show how good dragon sweepers are. I originally ran Salamence here with fire blast to take advantage of the sun and beat stuff like Skarmory which this can't do, but I switched it for 1 reason: Brick Break. Salamence gets it too, but once your not running fire blast on Mence I feel the extra Attack matters more than the speed. I need to run brick break to beat balloon heatran, who pisses me off so much, and I don't miss taunt that much, since he usually gets his dance after Wobbufett encores something or I just survive a hit, dance, and sweep. He was replaced By Bronzong because I had enough sweepers anyway and was too weak to Ice, and I wanted stealth rock, by the suggestion of Zephyr.

Tangrowth@Life Orb
Ability:Chlorophyll
EV's:252 ATK, 252 SPE, 4 SPA
Nature:Naive
-growth
-power whip
-hidden power fire
-earthquake

This is another Chlrophyll sweeper who doesn't lose all relevence out of the sun. He can pick of threats left by other mini sweeps, or sweep on his own. he can be replaced though, but I'm not sure what to get or if anything is any better than he is. In the end he was replaced, by Mamoswine, to help against dragons and to get more of an offensive presence even when sun is down.

Very Very ice weak. LO or even scarf Mamoswine, or anything fast with an ice move really, will tear you to pieces. Run something that resists ice over either Haxorous or Dragonite, you do not need two dragon dancers. You also need something to counter dragons, since you have no SE attacks, and you can't sleep them after sleep clause comes into effect. I'd suggest something like NPMixnape over Haxorous since it combines the Fire blast of Salamence that you liked with the Fighting type moves of Haxorous. Fire Blast, Close Combat, Nasty plot and Grass Knot will do you good there.

Secondly you don't need to run two Chlorophyll sweepers that are mostly the same. I'd try replacing Tangrowth with something like Scarfswine to help with your dragon weakness

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yo, pretty good team you got going, but you're lacking a few things. First off, like mentioned above, Mamoswine can potentially shred through your team with ease. Second off, you have no reliable Steel-type Pokemon. Third, your team has no Stealth Rock support, which is always helpful, especially when you're trying to pull off Dragon sweeps. :) For this I recommend trying Bronzong out. It fills out everything I mentioned above perfectly, and also helps you handle Sand better, not to mention it stops Excadrill and Landorus cold. This is good for you since when sand is up you could be taking a lot of damage trying to win the weather war with no defensive pivot. Here is the set I recommend:

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Nature @ Sassy
evs: 252 HP / 84 Atk / 80 Def / 92 SpD
-Stealth Rock
-Gyro Ball
-Earth Quake
-Hidden Power Ice

Good luck!

yea I noticed my ice problem, but since I outspeed most ice users besides ice shard, it's not as big of a problem as it looks, though it still should be addressed.

I like mixed nape but if he's my only answer to heatran I'm in trouble, since he can't switch in and dies quickly, and I can't rely on wobb to do everything.

I'll probably give a Mamoswine of some sort a try, he sounds good. bronzong, though, I never liked. this is an offensive team anyway, so he doesn't really fit, despite being considered an amazing excadrill counter is 2hko'd by +2 x-scissor, and with no recovery dies much quicker than you want him too. maybe I'll give him a try, but can anyone else do his job better than he can?

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You could say the same about Wobbufet....offensive teams usually make use of a defensive pivot you know. Being 2hko'd by +2 x-scissor also isn't too relevant since it shouldnt be setting up Swords dance and hitting you twice anyway unless you're making serious mistakes. Though I don't blame you if you're not a fan of Bronzong, he's not for everyone.

IMO wobb is perfect for offensive teams since he can get you time to set up. I've never really used zong that much, its just I feel exca can predict his switch, hit with x-cissor, and later ko since he can't heal, many situations like that. but I'm gonna try replacing haxorus and tangrowth with cb swine and your bronzong set and I'll get back to you guys then

So, I tested out the changes for a bit, Mamoswine is good I just need help figuring out which moves are legal with which ability, but bronzong like I expected I'm not too happy with. in the hyper offensive metagame he's almost never able to get off rocks without becoming set up fodder or revenge killed, the only time I remember him actually being useful was against a choice band excadrill when I had lost the weather war, but even then he was useless for the rest of the battle due to being severely weakened. IDK, maybe I'm using him wrong. Any other ideas on who to replace him with?

First of all I'd like to suggest a Ninetales set I love from when I had a sun team myself:
Ninetales @Focus Sash
Trait: Drought
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spd
Timid nature
Overheat
Power Swap
Hidden Power [Ground]/Hidden Power [Fighting]/Safeguard
Will-o-Wisp/Grass Knot/Solarbeam

This Ninetales is a very offensive one, as it tries to hit as hard as possible with sun-boosted Overheat, which hurts quite a bit, and then proceed to screw up both physical and special attackers, because Will-o-Wisp halves the attack of any physical sweepers bar Conkeldurr and Fire types, and, after an Overheat, Power Swap passes your -2 to the opponent, crippling any special offense they could be planning to use. Since this set doesn't have the bulk to take many hits, you shouldn't send it to battle too often, unless the opposing team doesn't have weather or his/her weather starter is already down, but the Sash is there just in case you mispredict something, get a critical hit, or any other kind of unexpected situation. Due to its ability to cripple sweepers, you can also throw it into combat against a set up sweeper, survive an otherwise deadly attack with 1hp, and burn it so that it no longer is a threat and you can take it down with another pokemon of yours. I wouldn't advice you for this reason to use any Grass move in the fourth slot, but you could try that. The choice of Hidden Power depends on wether you fear Chandelure or Air Balloon Heatran the most. Ground hits ScarfLure and also grounded Heatrans 4x, while Fighting will always hit any Heatran, though only for 2x damage. The fact that it's max speed will surprise quite a few opponents, since the bulky variants are the norm.
Also, I highly recommend using infernape instead of Tangrowth, since having 2 Clorophyll pokemon can be a problem against other weather teams. You have 2 options here: Choice Band or Choice Scarf.
Infernape @ Choice Band
Trait: Blaze
Nature: Jolly
Flare Blitz
Close Combat
Stone Edge/Thunderpunch
Mach Punch/U-Turn

Choice Band is EXCELLENT under the sun, as not only is the massive powerhouse he is normally with Band, but also gets Sun Boosted Flare Blitz. This 120 BP move, coming of from a nice 104 base attack, boosted by band AND sun, can even do 60% damage to most vaporeon sets, so even if your opponent knows that you're banded, they have to think twice about swithcing vaporeon in, and if they do, they'll regret it. Same with most bulky waters. Mach Punch gives you nice priority, especially againt a weakenes Excadrill since it deals about 60% too, but you can opt for U-turn to scout for switches. I prefer Mach Punch, though. I don't think you'll have problem with water types, but thunderpunch is an option in case it's raining. In most other situatons, SE is better as it hits flying pokemon, including dragons, and Volcarona for 4x, which I think is enough to kill it twice I think lol. Most sets will be screwed if they stay on you not expecting this attack.

Infernape @Choice Scarf
Trait: Blaze
Nature: Naive
EVs are up to you, but 252 Spd always
Overheat
Close Combat
Hidden Power [Ice]/Grass Knot
Stone Edge/Grass Knot/U-turn
The other option is ScarfMixApe, which acts as a wonderfull revenge killer. Overheat and Close Combat allow you to hit really hard from both sides of the spectrum. HP ice is a destructive surprise for any Gliscor (though Overheat should OHKO), Salamence, and most importantly, Landorus(which will be outran even with Scarf), which will OHKO. Dragonite is hit very hard by it, but not OHKOed, even if you had Stealth Rock. If you think you're not having a problem with these pokemon, you could opt for Grass Knot, though with your Grass pokemon it-s more advisable to have HP ice as a failsafe for scarf and DD sweepers who are slower than Infernape and haven't got to +2 or more speed. Finally, depending on what you want to hit, you could run Stone Edge for flyers and Volcarona, Grass Knot for Water/Grounds, or U-turn to scout. Now I think of it, you could try EQ in case Scarf Jirachi bothers you.
Finally, 2 DDers are a bit too much. You should replace Haxorus for a Steel, a rain counter (physical Virizion owns and doesn't need the sun to be fast), or Scarf/Band him.

as of now I had switched Haxorus and Tangrowth to Bronzong and Mamoswine, I'll edit them into the main post in a second.

I'll test out your ninetales set, but I'm iffy, especially with SR everywhere, but with wobb hopefully trapping the weather users, it could work. for that reason, I may forego the sash, tweak the EV's a bit, and use something else as the item

I was sceptical about bronzong at the beginning, and even after some testing, but I've come to like it a bit. not enough that I wouldn't considere replacing it, but it's pretty good. CB Mamoswine has also been a beast for me, except I'm having trouble figuring out legal movesets for both of its abilities, so I may not have the optimal set right now.

I can try an infernape, but now that I've made some changes already, who do I take out? I'm leaning toward bronzong, but I'm not sure if infernape is an upgrade over him, so I guess I'll test a bit

heres a choice ninetails from one of my rmt's you can try if you like:
Ninetails (Neintails) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drought
Nature: Timid
Effort Values: 252 Sp.Attack/252 Spd/4 Hp
- Overheat
- Hidden Power Ice
- Will-O-Wisp
- Solar Beam
Designed as a revenge killer, this thing can take down lots pokes easy. I usually swap this guy in after mandibuzz dies, depending if rocks is on the field. Stab Overheat in the sun kills all pokes (except blissey/chansey/dusclops/shucle/cresslia/snorlax, ect correct me if there are others I should worry about) that don’t resist it. After getting a free kill, i will often just swap out. Also necessary for getting sun on the field.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)