Rate My Hail Team (Peak #28 DW OU rated

I've always liked Hail, but it's also always been pretty underpowered compared to other weather effects. Since starting Pokemon Online about a week ago, I've been experimenting with different teams, and decided to try to get as high as possible on the ladder with a Hail team, despite the prevalence of Rain and Sand based teams. There wasn't much of a team building process, just throwing together some stuff with the aid of a very helpful user, mervins3.

For best effect, use this team whilst listening to Twilight of the Thunder God. Side effects may include spontaneous laughter, surprised opponents, and a feeling of satisfaction.

All these are shinies simply because I prefer those colorations.
Sorry for no images, I'm not sure how to add them :(

Abomasnow@Leftovers
Snow Warning/Modest
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
~Blizzard
~Giga Drain
~Leech Seed
~Substitute

Standard lead for any hail team. This particular Abomasnow is designed to handle bulky waters that would otherwise plague me. It also solidly beats out Politoeds, barring a freak Hypnosis hit. With resistances to both Water and Electric and a neutrality to Ice, it also helps with rain teams. Blizzard is there for sheer power, and to abuse hail. Giga Drain and Leech Seed together quickly whittle down anything that isn't Grass type (especially with hail), and Substitute protects an otherwise fragile Pokemon. Between leftovers, leech seed, and giga drain, subsitutes aren't too hard to keep up. Abomasnow is rather lacking in power, so Modest and max SpA help it beat out it's bulky foes, and maximize Giga Drain healing. It is also not particularly fast, but the given speed is enough to outspeed said bulky waters, barring Scarf Politoed. The rest is in HP 'cos there is no where better for it to go.

Latias@Soul Dew
Levitate/Timid
252 HP/6 SpA/252 Spe (30 Atk, SpA, and Spe EV)
~Dragon Pulse
~Hidden Power Fire
~Reflect
~Wish

Latias is a great ally, with it's natural bulk and resistances to Fire and Fighting attacks, as well as to Water and Electric (I despise rain teams). It functions as a useful defensive pivot mostly. While it has saved me so many times, it has been rather disappointing, too. I haven't found too much use in Reflect or Wish, so I'm considering dropping Wish for Recover, and but I'm not sure what to place over Reflect. Status, Toxic in particular, is very damaging to me, so Safeguard seems best, but I'm not quite sure, not being familiar with Latias.

Starmie@Leftovers
Natural Cure/Timid
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
~Surf
~Thunder
~Rapid Spin
~Recover

In all honesty I ripped this set straight from the analysis, except maybe Thunder, which is another good check against rain teams. Rapid Spin is critical, and this set is another good Fire, Fighting, and Steel resist. Despite being mainly a support pokemon, it's natural speed and power allow it to put dents in many things. I used to have a Tentacruel here, and the Knock Off + Toxic Spikes were very helpful, but Starmie has access to Recover, is faster, and I believe more powerful, so I'm not sure which to use.

Regice@Leftovers
Ice Body/Bold
252 HP/148 HP/8 Def/96 SpD/4 Spe
~Blizzard
~Thunderbolt
~Protect
~Substitute

This thing is amazing. I don't care what you say, I'm keeping this bad boy. With the given spread it hits 364 HP/300 Def/460 SpD. It's taken +2 Dragon Claws from Dragonites, Alakazam Focus Blasts, and just about anything else. The Ice Body + Leftovers + Subsitute + Protect combo allows Regice to run a Stallrein set. Only, Regice is much bulkier, is slightly more powerful, and has access to Thunderbolt, which, as you all know, gives it amazing coverage. Regice is definitely the star player of this team.

Rotom-H@Choice Scarf
Levitate/Timid
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
~Overheat
~Volt Switch
~Hidden Power Rock
~Trick

This is also a pretty standard set, and it was recommended mainly for Volcarona, which explains the bizarre appearance of Hidden Power Rock, which also helps with the Fiery Chandelier of Death. Trick is great for crippling otherwise troublesome walls, and Volt-Switch helps for scouting. Overheat deals with Steels that resist most of my attacks. However, Rotom has been pretty disappointing. I'm considering replacing it with Scarf Tran, thoughts?

Metagross@Leftovers
Clear Body/Adamant
252 HP/252 Atk/6 Spe
~Meteor Mash
~Bullet Punch
~Hammer Arm
~Stealth Rock

Also from the analysis. This particular set has served me well on many teams, and it provides a deal of physical bulk and power to an otherwise wholly special based team. The only thing I would change on this is Hammer Arm, it hasn't really been of much use except for random things like Umbreon. Rock Slide and Hone Claws both seem to be suitable replacements, or even Earthquake.

A couple of things I've noticed with this team is that it wants more entry hazards. Particularly Toxic Spikes, so Tentacruel seems like a suitable replacement for Starmie, in which case Latias should definitely keep Wish to compensate for lack of the squid's lack of Recover. Also, sand teams in general are difficult for this team. And Genesect, I swear is probably the biggest thread to my team. Heracross is pretty nasty too, but choice sets can be played around ok, and it's not too common. Well, that's about it, I look forward to your rates, thanks in advance, and rock on. \m/>.<\m/

Hey, I played you. I never enjoy facing Regice...

Anyway, I highly recommend Heatran > Rotom-W. It has no problems with Chandy and can stop Volcarona not carrying HP Ground, isn't SR weak, and Genesect also can't do anything to it. Because that removes your only Ground immunity, you may want to consider changing Metagross to something else if you opt to use Heatran.

Here's my Hail Team (under Deep Freeze on ladder) if you want to take a look:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3611184

actually the leftovers isn't overkill and it really is needed there + if you read the post properly you'll see that it says that abomasnow counters politoed's hypnosis well, so he doesn't need a lum berry.

Leftovers is good because Abomasnow generally takes a lot of passive damage from hazards, and also might have to tank a few Hydro Pumps/Surfs from Politoed. Lefties also works nicely in conjunction with Sub. You shouldn't blindly switch Abomasnow into Toed anyway because not only might you get put to sleep, you may be outright KOed by a Focus Blast.

Leftovers is good because Abomasnow generally takes a lot of passive damage from hazards, and also might have to tank a few Hydro Pumps/Surfs from Politoed. Lefties also works nicely in conjunction with Sub. You shouldn't blindly switch Abomasnow into Toed anyway because not only might you get put to sleep, you may be outright KOed by a Focus Blast.
Complete brain fart on the hazards >.<
And I assumed he was talking about lead Toeds, my bad.

@mervins, yes, it helped very much :)

@lostaurora, I'm definitely going to try out Heatran, (btw Latias is immune to Ground, as well). Although, Metagross doesn't seem to do much other than tank hits, BP almost dead pokes, and set up Rocks... so I'm seriously considering replacing it with something that resists Rock, and also Fighting. Nidoqueen seems like a solid replacement, helping patch up the Heracross weakness, and adding Toxic Spikes, as well as providing a switch in on Toxic/Thunder Wave. And, actually, I switch Abomasnow into Politoeds quite a bit, and only once have I been hit by Focus Blast on the hit; I honestly thought that Focus Blast is more of a gimmick attack for Politoed than anything.

@Nighthawk, Soul Dew is not banned in Dream World iirc

So, I'm going to be testing this team out with the following replacements; A support Nidoqueen over Metagross and Scarftran over Rotom-H. Latias may be changed in moveset, or for a Latios.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)