Rate My Mono-Type Flying Team!

Hello, this is my first RMT at the Smogon University...
Don't expect me to be a "all-knowing player", because I just started.

I am open to any and all Criticizim.
Now, down to the point, I recently entered a tourney where I was chosen to have a Flying-Type Mono Type team. So, here is my mono-type team!

Changes are in bold.

~AT A GLANCE~

~AN IN-DEPTH LOOK~

THE SUICIDE LEAD

"RokDatFlyz" the Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Speed/252 Attack/4 HP
Jolly
- Taunt
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

Taunt is a big help to my Flying team. As my team is weak to stealth rock, and it can render bulky leads such as Bronzong almost useless. Although, stoping stealth rock is almost inevitable, I can at least prolong it... I use Rock Slide over Stone Edge because Rock Slide can flinch if I'm feeling lucky. And that Stone Edge has a little shakey accuracy.

-------------------------------------------

THE SPECIAL TANK

"Starscream" the Togekiss @ Lefties
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP/252 Sp. Defense /4 Defense
Calm
- Thunder Wave
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Roost

Togekiss can take special hits well (and physical), and can Thunder Wave the Enemy. Then, I'm sure you all know the Parahax. Thunder Wave + Air Slash + Serene Grace = 30% Chance of the Enemy even Moving. This means that if I thunder Wave an enemy not immune to it, it will be slower obviously. Then just keep SPAMMING Air Slashes. Air Slash will have a 60% chance to flinch the enemy, and if it is slower, it will have a chance for flinch. Now the Target has a chance to be "fully paralized" at about 25% of the time. Now, add the flinch rate ant the paralysis you get an opponent who can almost never move. Only 30% of the time he can move.. Togekiss is a great asset to my team and can take lots of hits...

THE PHYSICAL TANK

"EvilScorp" the Gliscor @ Lefties
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP/40 Defense/216 Speed
Impish
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Behold - My Physical Tank. It can take physical hits, SD up, roost off damage, and possibly setup a sweep. It's pretty standard...

THE SPECIAL SWEEPER

"Drakon" the Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Speed/252 Sp. Attack/4 HP
Timid/Modest
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Fire Blast/Flamethrower
- Dragon Pulse

Special Sweeper. Most People predict the Dragon Dance Version and bring in their Physical Walls, only to be killed by special moves. I can't decide whether to have Fire Blast or Flamethrower. The question that drives in my head is, "Power, or Accuracy?". Also, I cannot decide whether to have a Timid Nature, or a Modest Nature, Speed or Power?

THE PHYSICAL WALL/PHAZER/SPIKER

"MetalFenix" the Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP/64 Attack/176 Defense/16 Speed
Impish
- Drill Peck
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Skarmory is also a great asset to my team, as many Skarmory are. Skarmory comes in on a Physical Attacker, Sets Up Spikes, Roosts Off damage, Whirlwind Stat-Boosters, and Drill Peck in case it is taunted. Skarmory can also be a saving grace to Ice Shard Mamoswine, and whirlwind it away. Or at least stall it untill it has no PP for ice Shard Left.

THE PHYSICAL SWEEPER

"W4T0R5N4K3" the Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP/108 Atk/100 Def/144 Spe
Adamant
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Taunt

My Second Taunter. This is the usual BulkyGyara. Come in On something it can scare, Dragon Dance up on the switch, and if the new target is basically not going to attack (such as skarmory), Taunt it, then Keep setting up DD, And Finally Do a Physical Sweep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, thats pretty much my team.
Remember that I'm pretty much new (not exactly though) to competitive battling. So, don't insult me.

Love/Hate/Criticize/Steal

SR is basically impossible to stop throughout a match... thats going to tear holes in this team quickly. For instance, your 2 biggest damage dealers can only come in a few turn if they dont switch into a hit... Mono flying is destroyed by one universal move. Having choice items on pokes weak to stealth rock on a team without a rapid spinner begs for trouble.

well first thigs first im pretty sure a wildcard is allowed in any team, and therefor i recomend a spinner such as starmie to kill the SR off the field. I suggest it in the space of togekiss, because its not really doing much anyhow.
Secondly, this thread will be locked if the descriptions arent fixed. Sure we know what scarm does. What does it do for your team? Im sure all of the raters would appreciate some description.

well first thigs first im pretty sure a wildcard is allowed in any team, and therefor i recomend a spinner such as starmie to kill the SR off the field. I suggest it in the space of togekiss, because its not really doing much anyhow.
Secondly, this thread will be locked if the descriptions arent fixed. Sure we know what scarm does. What does it do for your team? Im sure all of the raters would appreciate some description.
im sorry, ill go edit it right now
but once again, this is a mono-type team, and i dont think there is a flying type rapid spinner.

Yeah, Delibird is a Flying Rapid Spinner, but it shouldn't be on any competitive team outside of NU. You do have a major Ice weakness though, Mamoswine's Ice Shard is a major threat to this team. Your other problem is Stealth Rock. Nothing at all can be done about that, and thankfully none of your Pokemon lose 50% HP to it. Flying is a risky type to pull off a mono team with, and looking at your team, this is probably one of the best it can be.

Lawl Is this for our gym thingy? Anyway nice team. Perhaps a spinner is needed SR destroys half of your team. Ice shouldnt be too muchc of a prob as Skarm takes only about 20% from a STAB CB mamo. Not too much to comment.

GL

SF

Lawl Is this for our gym thingy? Anyway nice team. Perhaps a spinner is needed SR destroys half of your team. Ice shouldnt be too muchc of a prob as Skarm takes only about 20% from a STAB CB mamo. Not too much to comment.

GL

SF
It probably is, PM me if you really wanna find out.

Yeah, Delibird is a Flying Rapid Spinner, but it shouldn't be on any competitive team outside of NU. You do have a major Ice weakness though, Mamoswine's Ice Shard is a major threat to this team. Your other problem is Stealth Rock. Nothing at all can be done about that, and thankfully none of your Pokemon lose 50% HP to it. Flying is a risky type to pull off a mono team with, and looking at your team, this is probably one of the best it can be.
thank you,

and yes, Delibird will have no chance of surviving outside of NU.

blissey walls the hell out of salamence, consider switching in brick break or a physical dragon move of choice over one of the existing dragon moves. it will also stop snorlax and tyranitar alot easier who are probably the next best special tanks in line. not bad for a mono-type team at all though =3

EspyJoel

Espy <3
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
LO Starmie rips this team apart since Aerodactyl goes down early and thats the only faster one and it cant do much, only Togekiss isnt OHKOed by it but i'm pretty sure its 2HKOed by it so maybe making Salamence a choice scarfer so it can revenge it as most people wont switch due it being uncommon. This is the set:

Salamence@Choice Scarf
Naughty/Naive nature
Intimidate
Evs-252Atk/176Spd/80SAtk
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast
-Outrage
-Draco Meteor
Can finish off a weakened Starmie while taking out many other dangerous pokemon such as Latias that expect to be faster than you. Naughty or Naive depends on whether you want to be able to revenge more or have higher Atk.

The big problem with a mono-flying type team is the massive bolt-beam weakness.

Im not worried about blissey

starmie i am worried about
i think i will switch to choice scarf, but i wont change the moves, i want salamence to remain special instead of mixed

okay, im guessing you didnt understand my previous comment. In mono typr teams, most tourneys allow players a 'wildcard' spot, that is, a pokemon that doesnt necessaraly have to be of the same type of the rest of your pokemon. That is why i suggested having starmie there earlier on, as it helps this teams significant mamoswine weakness, while also ridding yourself of stealth rock. Good day.

okay, im guessing you didnt understand my previous comment. In mono typr teams, most tourneys allow players a 'wildcard' spot, that is, a pokemon that doesnt necessaraly have to be of the same type of the rest of your pokemon. That is why i suggested having starmie there earlier on, as it helps this teams significant mamoswine weakness, while also ridding yourself of stealth rock. Good day.
no, in the tourney im in, im ONLY allowed to have flying types
i cant have a wildcard pokemon

To the best of my knowledge, Salamence does not have the "Sand Veil" ability.
Also, for Salamence, try doing some damage calculations to see if that extra power from Modest would give you any much needed OHKO. If it does, go with Modest, otherwise go with Timid.

To the best of my knowledge, Salamence does not have the "Sand Veil" ability.
Also, for Salamence, try doing some damage calculations to see if that extra power from Modest would give you any much needed OHKO. If it does, go with Modest, otherwise go with Timid.
oopsies, mistake
and ill try that

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
A Mono-Type Flying team is doomed to failure. First, there's the inevitable SR weakness. And then there's the inevitable Rock, Electric and Ice weaknesses. You have 4 pokes weak to Rock and Ice, and 5 weak to Electric. The only poke that doesn't fear Electric attacks (Gliscor) is screwed over by HP Ice, meaning you have no safe switch ins to Magnezone, Jolteon or Electivire. However, you're only allowed to use Flying-types (and apparently, your opponents aren't). So we'll have to try to deal with this.

Replace Togekiss with Specially Defensive Zapdos. Togekiss' special walling potential is wasted with its Ice and Electric weaknesses. Zapdos can take Electrical attacks, meaning you have a back up if Gliscor is hit by a surprise HP Ice.

Change Gyarados to a Sleep Talker. This will enable it to beat Lucario and Heracross with greater ease. Your Gliscor cannot beat Jolly Lucario, and whilst you could use a Jolly nature on Gliscor to solve this, it is preferred not to, as Gliscor is the best Poke you have against Tyranitar (and it still loses over half its HP from CB Stone Edge. But no Flying Pokemon can take such an attack). Sleep Talk Gyarados can move some of the defensive pressure on Gliscor away.

Your Salamence set is easily walled. Any Pokemon that can take Special hits can wall it, and without a Specs or LO boost, Draco Meteor isn't that powerful. I would change it to the normal Scarf set:
Nature: Naughty
EVs: 252 Atk / 80 SpA / 176 Spe
Outrage
Fire Blast
Earthquake
Hydro Pump

Both physical walls and special walls can be punished by this set with correct prediction. Earthquake also provides a stronger attack against Tyranitar thanks to its SDef boost. Fire Blast > Flamethrower for power. This set still retains enough SpA to 2HKO Celebi with Fire Blast and bulky Grounds like Hippowdon with Hydro Pump.

a small note, Togekiss should have body slam over T-Wave. Due to Serene Grace, Body Slam has a much higher rate to paralyse than usual

Your team has major typing problems. First your only resist to Electric attacks is Gliscor. Specs Jolt can handle him with either HP Ice or Shadow Ball and can procede to OHKO your entire team with T-Bolt+HP Ice for Mence though even he may get taken out by T-bolt with sr factored in. You also lack a resist to rock letting DD and CB Ttar spam Stone Edge. Four pokemon happen to be weak to it. Only one dark resist lets him deal plenty with Crunch. Skarmory is your only dragon resist. MixMence or DD Mence with Fire Blast can take it out and deal a load of damage to evreyone else. Latias is just as threatening. You also lack an Ice Resist thus allowing Starmie to tear everyone apart. With Thunderbolt-Surf-and Ice Beam he can hit everyone for SE damage. Fixing this is almost impossible. Making a mono-flying team is just asking for trouble. Special attackers will give you hell and sr will slowly chip you away( not that slowly.) Mixed attackers are in a similar boat such as MixMamo who can 2HKO Skarm. Sub users can also be problamatic such as subTran and subGengar. If your opponent has a phazer or something with U-turn then you will be limited to your options. I would highly suggest you try another mono type.

EDIT: You could try running roost on the majority of your poke to help with the sr weakness. Zapdos would fit really well as mentioned above. Aero doesn't seem that useful as sr will be placed sooner or later. I would go with Classic MixMence with Roost. You can try rest talk Gyara with DD or you can try an offensive version.

Gyarados@Leftovers
Jolly
76 HP/ 252 Atk/ 168 Spe
-DD
-Waterfall
-Stone Edge
-Bounce

Bounce will help with recovery. Gyarados will initially have 81% health with sr and leftovers factored in. Bounce can force plenty of switches against counters such as Celebi and has a nice paralysis rate. So it should be able to force a switch and possibly another with Bounce thus geting a 12% recovery. It will help with Gyara's longetivity and let it attempt sweeps more than once. This Gyara can bait out things such as Jolteon and outspeed and OHKO with Waterfall whch should help quite a bit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)