Skeleton by: BadPandaPancham

Overview
########
  • Access to Guts and STAB Facade
  • Guts unable to be crippled by burn or paralysis
  • Priority in Sucker Punch
  • Faster than Guts Ursaring
  • Late-game sweeper
  • Raticate pros: U-turn, Sucker Punch, outspeeds Haunter and Sawsbuck, speed ties with Frogadier
  • Mediocre Attack stat
  • Frail defensive stats
  • Average Speed stat limits his potential to late game sweeping or clean up

Offense
########
name: Offense
move 1: U-turn
move 2: Facade
move 3: Sucker Punch
move 4: Protect / Swords Dance
ability: Guts
item: Toxic Orb
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========
  • U-turn allows Raticate to keep team momentum and also prevent getting burn or toxic damage while still taking advantage of the activated Guts boost
  • Facade allows for heavy damage due to the STAB, status, and Guts boosts it gets
  • Sucker Punch allows Raticate to move first against faster targets due to it's semi-mediocre base 97 Speed stat and also allows for coverage against Ghost-types
  • Crunch is an alternative to Sucker Punch to allow reliable damage without worrying about Ghost-types such as Gourgeist and Misdreavus as much. You still have to sacrifice priority for it though.
  • Protect allows Raticate to freely activate Toxic Orb without receiving damage or if it is unable to KO a Pokemon that turn without Guts activated
  • Swords Dance allows Raticate to bluff a protect of just freely set up on a prediction due to it's meager base 81 Attack stat, allowing it to truly unlock it's true potential in sweeping and wallbreaking
Set Details
========
  • 252 EVs invested in Speed to ensure Raticate outspeeds as much as possible
  • Toxic Orb is ran over Flame Orb due to the first 2 turns of Toxic dealing less damage to Raticate compared to a burn.
  • Jolly over Adamant to take advantage of Raticate's higher Speed stat that Ursaring doesn't have
Usage Tips
========
  • Take advantage of the fact that Raticate can't be crippled by Wil-O-Wisp or Thunder Wave (or moves of the like) by using it to predict moves such as Toxic (note that Thunder Wave cripples Raticate's speed, but it still gets the Guts boost)
  • Be wary of switching Raticate in on possible attacks, as Raticate is not only very frail but it takes status damage as well
  • Be wary of Steel- and Rock-types as Raticate cannot do very much damage to them; it's good to U-turn or switch out unless you are set up and they have already taken damage
  • Try to activate your Toxic Orb as soon as possible without having to take a hit as Raticate is very weak without the boost
  • Be wary of common Pokemon with priority moves such as Sneasel, Purugly, Piloswine, etc.
  • Take advantage of using U-turn when you have the clear favorable match-up and you can tell your opponent are going to make a switch into a Pokemon that handles Raticate
  • A lot of people assume Protect on Raticate. Use this to your advantage when it comes to predicting and you are running Swords Dance
  • Activate your Toxic Orb as soon as possible, which can be done even without Protect by revenge killing, forcing switches, or having a teammate with a slow pivot move like U-turn come in after absorbing the damage for Raticate
Team Options
========
  • Carry a Pokemon with hazards such as Spikes (Roselia) or Stealth Rocks (Piloswine/Golem), that way you won't have to worry about sashes and it allows Pokemon to get into KO range easier (+2 Raticate Facade knocks out an Avalugg after Stealth Rock damage, guarantees an OHKO on Tauros, 50% chance to OHKO a Bouffalant after triple stacked Spikes)
  • Raticate as trouble with Steel- and Rock-types, and non-offensive Ghost-types such as Misdreavus, making Throh or Piloswine great teammates
  • Take advantage of U-turn momentum and build a U-turn or Volt/Turn core with a Pokemon like Raichu, Purugly, or Scyther. Slow pivots such as Pelipper are also great for Raticate to absorb any damage and allow Raticate to get it's Toxic Orb activated for free.
  • Stallbreaker Misdreavus and Raticate make a great pairing due to Misdreavus being able to counter or check Pokemon that wall Raticate like Avalugg, Golem, or Gourgeist. Misdreavus can Burn opposing physical attackers as well as walls to wither them down, allowing Raticate to clean up easily, as well as Taunt walls to make sure their utility moves are denied.
  • Carry Pokemon with Rapid Spin or Defog as Raticate will be switching in and out, making Pokemon such as Togetic, Swanna, Vullaby, or in some cases Avalugg great teammates
  • Kricketune and Ariados are great on teams with Raticate because Sticky Webs allows Raticate to outspeed some Choice Scarf Pokemon and almost all grounded Pokemon in the tier
  • Wall breakers such as Scyther and Marowak are great teammates for Raticate because they weaken the enemy team enough for Raticate to come in and clean up

Other Options
########
  • Super Fang to cripple walls
  • Taunt for more of a supportive utility set
  • Wild Charge for bulky Water-types
  • Zen Headbutt for Fighting-types
  • Grass Knot for Golem/Bastiodon/etc.
  • Pursuit for trapping and eliminating Pokemon
  • Choice Band Hustle is not recommended, but it can hit hard (when it hits)

Checks & Counters
########

**Rock- and Steel-Types**: Raticate can't really damage these types at all, with the exception of Pokemon such as Metang, which could still take a Sucker Punch from Raticate. Golem is free to do whatever he wants when in on a Raticate, same with Barbaracle and Carracosta.

**Choice Scarf Pokemon**: Choice Scarf users are all able to 1v1 Raticate due to, again, his bad defensive stats, such as Tauros and Rotom-F.

**Faster Pokemon**: Common Pokemon with naturally high Speed stats are able to KO Raticate fairly easily due to how frail Raticate is. These Pokemon include, but are not limited to, Scyther, Raichu, Ninetales, etc.

**Bulky Ghost-types**: Bulky Ghost-types such as Misdreavus and Gourgeist easily stall out Raticate due to Raticate being unable to Sucker Punch them, while he can't set up Swords Dances either due to moves like Taunt, and takes high residual damage from moves like SubSeed Gourgeist, who once behind a substitute can safely Seed Bomb.

**Avalugg**: Avalugg can take a Facade from Raticate and hit back with an Avalanche. It can also stall out Raticate with Recover or stack damage with Rocky Helmet plus Toxic Damage. Avalugg can take a Swords Dance boosted Facade as long as it is over 87% healthy.

[OVERVIEW]

Raticate has access to the deadly Guts + STAB Facade combination, making it a powerful sweeper. Guts makes Raticate unable to be crippled by burn or paralysis, while Facade receives a STAB boost and doubles in Base Power when Raticate is inflicted with a status condition. However, Raticate is outclassed by Quick Feet Ursaring, which hits a higher Speed tier and isn't completely walled by Rock- and Steel-types. Although it is partially outclassed, Raticate has a few niches that separate it from Ursaring, including access to U-turn, which gives your team momentum, and Sucker Punch, which has priority if the foe was about to use an attacking move. That said, a mediocre Attack stat, bad defensive stats, and an average Speed stat limit Raticate's potential for sweeping and cleaning up.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

U-turn allows Raticate to keep momentum for the team. Facade inflicts heavy damage due its STAB and Guts boosts. Sucker Punch allows Raticate to move first against faster targets, as its base 97 Speed stat isn't too great, and hits Ghost-types immune to Facade. Crunch is an alternative to Sucker Punch to remove the need to predict around Ghost-types such as Gourgeist-XL and Misdreavus, but it comes at the cost of the chance to attack first. Protect allows Raticate to freely activate Toxic Orb without taking damage or if it is unable to KO a Pokemon the first turn without Guts activated. Swords Dance allows Raticate to bluff a Protect or freely set up on a forced switch, as a base 81 Attack stat doesn't allow it to truly unlock it's true potential in sweeping and wallbreaking. Revenge could be used to hit common Rock-, Ice- and Steel-types on the switch such as Probopass, Golem, Piloswine, and Avalugg.

Set Details
========

252 EVs invested in Speed ensures that Raticate outspeeds as much as possible, including base 95 Speed Pokemon such as Sawsbuck. Guts is chosen over Hustle to take advantage of its synergy with Facade. Toxic Orb is ran over Flame Orb because the first two turns of Toxic deal less damage to Raticate than a burn. A Jolly nature is chosen over an Adamant nature to take advantage of Raticate's higher Speed stat that Ursaring doesn't have.

Usage Tips
========

Take advantage of Guts by switching into moves such as Toxic and Will-O-Wisp and using them to Raticate's advantage. Be wary of switching Raticate in on possible attacks, however, as Raticate is not only very frail but it takes damage from its status. Watch out for Steel- and Rock-types. as Raticate cannot do very much damage to them; it's good to U-turn or switch out into a Pokemon with a favorable match up unless Raticate is set up and the opposing Steel- and Rock-types have taken damage. Try to activate Raticate Toxic Orb as soon as possible without having to take a hit, as it is very weak without the boost, which can be done by using Protect, revenge killing a foe, forcing a switch, or having a teammate bringing Raticate in with a pivoting move such as U-turn. Although Raticate has Sucker Punch, be careful of Pokemon with priority moves such as Piloswine and Carracosta, as Raticate is very frail. Many people assume Raticate will use Protect, so use this to your advantage when it comes to predicting and use Swords Dance as Pokemon such as Roselia and Fraxure are forced out.

Team Options
========

Any Pokemon with Spikes or Stealth Rock such as Roselia, Whirlipede, Quilladin, Piloswine, Golem, or Probopass will allow Raticate to KO Pokemon with Sturdy and KO other Pokemon, such as Avalugg more easily, as a +2 Raticate with Facade knocks it out after Stealth Rock damage. Raticate has trouble with Steel-, Rock-, and bulky Ghost-types such as Misdreavus, making Piloswine and Poliwrath great teammates. The only type of team you would put Raticate on is on a VoltTurn team, so a Pokemon such as Raichu and Purugly pairs well with Raticate. Slow pivots such as Pelipper are also great for absorbing damage and allowing Raticate to get its Toxic Orb activated for free. Stallbreaker Misdreavus and Raticate make a great pairing, as Misdreavus can counter or check Pokemon that wall Raticate such as Avalugg, Golem, and Gourgeist. Misdreavus can burn opposing physical attackers as well as walls to wither them down, allowing Raticate to clean up easily, as well as Taunt walls to make sure they cannot use utility moves. Carry a Pokemon with Rapid Spin or Defog, as Raticate will be switching in and out often and therefore taking lots of entry hazard damage, making Pokemon such as Armaldo, Togetic, Swanna, Vullaby, and Avalugg great teammates. Kricketune and Leavanny are great on teams with Raticate because Sticky Web allows Raticate to outspeed almost all grounded Pokemon in the tier. Wallbreakers such as Marowak and Simipour help to weaken the enemy team so that Raticate to come in and clean up.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
========

Super Fang allows Raticate to cripple walls more easily, while Taunt could be used for more of a supportive utility set. Wild Charge, Zen Headbutt, and Grass Knot could be used to cover Water-, Fighting-, and Rock- type Pokemon such as Carracosta, Poliwrath, and Golem, respectively. Pursuit can be used for trapping and eliminating Pokemon that might switch out Raticate's attack. A Choice Band set with Hustle is not recommended, but when it hits, it packs a punch.

Checks & Counters
========

**Rock- and Steel-types**: Raticate can't really damage Rock- and Steel-types at all, with the exception of Pokemon such as Metang, which could still take a Sucker Punch anyway. Golem is free to do whatever it wants when in on Raticate. The same goes for Barbaracle and Carracosta.

**Faster Pokemon**: Pokemon able to outspeed Raticate naturally and Choice Scarf users are able to KO Raticate fairly easily due to how frail it is. These Pokemon include Raichu, Ninetales, and Rotom-F. However, they have to watch out for Sucker Punch.

**Bulky Ghost-types**: Bulky Ghost-types such as Misdreavus and Gourgeist easily stall out Raticate due to Raticate's inability to hit them with Sucker Punch. In addition, Raticate can't set up Swords Dances because of Taunt and takes lots of residual damage from Pokemon such as SubSeed Gourgeist, which behind a Substitute can safely Seed Bomb.

**Physical Walls**: Physical walls, such as Avalugg and Tangela, have no problem absorbing Raticate's attacks. Avalugg can take a Facade from Raticate and hit back with an Avalanche or stall with Recover. Avalugg can also take a Swords Dance-boosted Facade as long as it is over 87% health. Physically defensive Tangela easily tanks a Facade from Raticate and can retaliate with Giga Drain or stall with Leech Seed. A Swords-Dance boosted Facade from Raticate 2HKOes Tangela, however.

**Priority Moves**: Although Raticate has Sucker Punch to predict a priority move, it is susceptible to priority moves such as Aqua Jet, Vacuum Wave, and Ice Shard, as it is very frail.

**Residual Damage**: Raticate is easily worn down by Toxic damage and entry hazards, limiting the amount of turns that it can attack.

**Fighting-types** Fighting-types such as Poliwrath and Machoke can switch on a predicted Sucker Punch, survive a hit from Facade, and KO with their Fighting-type STAB moves.

Last edited:

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
hi, I don't have much experience with Raticate, but is it really that good of a lategame sweeper? Correct me if I'm wrong doesn't seem like it because it has less speed and coverage than Quick Feet Ursaring which actually beats some important offensive pokemon like the Simis and Ninetales. Could you clarify this?

Also spotted a few inaccuracies (this isn't a full check btw, just skimmed through it and spotted some stuff you should change):
- overview: facade + guts is no big deal, STAB facade + guts is
- a lot of banned mons still get mentions eg Scyther Haunter Tauros Sneasel are stuff that I spotted
- U-turn's description in moves says it prevents poison/burn damage which isn't the point of u-turn at all...
- sucker punch's description could do with some examples of fast foes that Raticate can pick off
- team options: don't mention Ariados as a sticky web setter, replace it with Leavanny
- team options: since we have Armaldo and it's a better spinner than Avalugg a lot of the time, mention it too

rubsomebacononit

rubsomebacononit

I was cringe and annoying when I was on smogon RIP
is a Contributor Alumnus
hi, I don't have much experience with Raticate, but is it really that good of a lategame sweeper? Correct me if I'm wrong doesn't seem like it because it has less speed and coverage than Quick Feet Ursaring which actually beats some important offensive pokemon like the Simis and Ninetales. Could you clarify this?

Also spotted a few inaccuracies (this isn't a full check btw, just skimmed through it and spotted some stuff you should change):
- overview: facade + guts is no big deal, STAB facade + guts is
- a lot of banned mons still get mentions eg Scyther Haunter Tauros Sneasel are stuff that I spotted
- U-turn's description in moves says it prevents poison/burn damage which isn't the point of u-turn at all...
- sucker punch's description could do with some examples of fast foes that Raticate can pick off
- team options: don't mention Ariados as a sticky web setter, replace it with Leavanny
- team options: since we have Armaldo and it's a better spinner than Avalugg a lot of the time, mention it too

rubsomebacononit
oh i just pasted badpandapancham's skelly. kk

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Adding to what scorp says, i feel the overview presents raticate as much better than it is. Firstly you mentioned it has competition from guts ursa which isnt true, rather quick feet (guts ursa is horribly outclassed), and also you make it seem like raticates niche is much more relevant than ursa's. You should mention that ursa has a better speed tier, and isnt completely walled and then say raticates small niches.

I really dont think Protect deserves a slash as it is just a momentum killer which takes away raticates main niche. Revenge i feel revenge should get a mention in moves as although it is weak and -speed, it isnt that bad for switch ins (at 60bp; it 2HKOs probo even w/o guts activated, OHKOs SD pawn)r.

In TO you should put more of a stress in volturn teams as that is the only team you would possibly put it on, and also purugly isnt a good team mate for obvious reasons. Probopass should also be mentioned here as it traps steels

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
Not a QC but:

-Is it really that good to have a stat boosting move and a momentum move on the same set. Correct me if I'm wrong but if it's carrying Swords Dance wouldn't U-Turn actually hinder it in the long run seeing as it loses a coverage move that could help it like Play Rough for Poli or Machoke, Wild Charge for Pelipper and Poli, Revenge to take on Steel/Rock Types or maybe Crunch to take on the Bulky Ghost Types which you named before?
- Add Priority moves under C&C seeing as most of them beat Raticate
- "252 EVs invested in Speed ensures that Raticate outspeeds as much as possible." Include some examples
- Don't use "wary" in every sentence (not really needed at this stage but it annoys me)
- Include more Pokemon with Spikes and Stealth Rock
- Include some examples of Pokemon Hazards Help you kill

rubsomebacononit

is a Contributor Alumnus
Adding to what scorp says, i feel the overview presents raticate as much better than it is. Firstly you mentioned it has competition from guts ursa which isnt true, rather quick feet (guts ursa is horribly outclassed), and also you make it seem like raticates niche is much more relevant than ursa's. You should mention that ursa has a better speed tier, and isnt completely walled and then say raticates small niches.

I really dont think Protect deserves a slash as it is just a momentum killer which takes away raticates main niche. Revenge i feel revenge should get a mention in moves as although it is weak and -speed, it isnt that bad for switch ins (at 60bp; it 2HKOs probo even w/o guts activated, OHKOs SD pawn)r.

In TO you should put more of a stress in volturn teams as that is the only team you would possibly put it on, and also purugly isnt a good team mate for obvious reasons. Probopass should also be mentioned here as it traps steels
Not a QC but:

-Is it really that good to have a stat boosting move and a momentum move on the same set. Correct me if I'm wrong but if it's carrying Swords Dance wouldn't U-Turn actually hinder it in the long run seeing as it loses a coverage move that could help it like Play Rough for Poli or Machoke, Wild Charge for Pelipper and Poli, Revenge to take on Steel/Rock Types or maybe Crunch to take on the Bulky Ghost Types which you named before?
- Add Priority moves under C&C seeing as most of them beat Raticate
- "252 EVs invested in Speed ensures that Raticate outspeeds as much as possible." Include some examples
- Don't use "wary" in every sentence (not really needed at this stage but it annoys me)
- Include more Pokemon with Spikes and Stealth Rock
- Include some examples of Pokemon Hazards Help you kill
did both (except the "Is it really that good to have a stat boosting move and a momentum move on the same set. Correct me if I'm wrong but if it's carrying Swords Dance wouldn't U-Turn actually hinder it in the long run seeing as it loses a coverage move that could help it like Play Rough for Poli or Machoke, Wild Charge for Pelipper and Poli, Revenge to take on Steel/Rock Types or maybe Crunch to take on the Bulky Ghost Types which you named before?" part, I'll get a QC opinion on this)

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
idr Raticate getting Play Rough, and Wild Charge can stay OO since it only hits Pelipper harder than Facade (it does more to wrath with no recoil). I might see Revenge getting a Moves mention and Crunch already has a move mention. Tbh, you aren't going to U-turn once you've set up a SD as by that time you'd be spamming Facade and Sucker Punch. Early game, U-turn is helpful for escaping checks and counters, especially if Guts was activated. QC, any thoughts?

rubsomebacononit

is a Contributor Alumnus
Raticate can't learn Play Rough, according to Pokemon Showdown... .-.

i'll mention wild charge + revenge later, i gotta go sleep

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
Not a QC but here are a few comments:
When you mention Gourgeist, say which forme it is.
When you list examples don't put them in parentheses.
Include Vacuum Wave in Priority

rubsomebacononit

is a Contributor Alumnus
Not a QC but here are a few comments:
When you mention Gourgeist, say which forme it is.
When you list examples don't put them in parentheses.
Include Vacuum Wave in Priority

did that except the parenthesis part cause its hard to edit on phone

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
In set Details, replace Chatot with Sawsbuck as Chatot is base 91 Speed, not 95. Also, even though it it obvious, explain why Guts is the preferred ability. In Usage Tips, Raticate can also switch in on Will-O-Wisp as well. Also say that if Raticate is running Swords Dance, to set up on Pokemon it can force out and give examples of this and when its checks and counters are weak enough for Raticate to take out on its own. Add Residual Damage to Checks and Counters as Raticate is easily worn down by entry hazards and toxic damage. Fighting-types can also be added if they switch in on a predicted Sucker Punch and can live a Facade and can OHKO with their STAB attacks. Tag me when you implement this and I'll stamp.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
add
remove
comments
[OVERVIEW]

Raticate has access to the deadly Guts + STAB Facade combination, making it a powerful sweeper. Guts makes it so Raticate cannot unable to (kind of subjective but it sounds nicer imo) be crippled by burn or paralysis (can you try to phrase this differently? technically, it can be crippled by paralysis if the opponent uses Thunder Wave or something before Toxic Orb activates), while Facade has receives a STAB boost and doubles in base power when inflicted with a status condition. However, it is mostly outclassed by Quick Feet Ursaring, which hits a better higher Speed tier and isn't completely walled (by what?). Although it is partially outclassed, Raticate has a few niches that separates itself from Ursaring, including access to U-turn, which gives your team momentum, and Sucker Punch, which has priority if the foe was about to use an attacking move. That said, a mediocre Attack stat, frail defensive stats, and an average Speed stat limits its Raticate's potential for sweeping and cleaning up.

[SET]

Moves
========

U-turn allows Raticate to keep team momentum. Facade inflicts heavy damage due its STAB and Guts boosts. Sucker Punch allows Raticate to move first against faster targets due to its semi-mediocre as its base 97 Speed stat isn't anything too great (really just something like that) and covers hits the Ghost-types immune to Facade super effectively. Crunch is an alternative to Sucker Punch to allow reliable damage without worrying about remove the need to predict around Ghost-types such as Gourgeist-XL and Misdreavus,(AC) but loses comes at the cost of the chance to attack first. Protect allows Raticate to freely activate Toxic Orb without taking damage or if it is unable to KO a Pokemon that the first turn without Guts activated. Swords Dance allows Raticate to bluff a Protect or freely set up on a prediction forced switch,(AC) due to it's meager as a base 81 Attack stat, allowing doesn't allow it to truly unlock it's true potential in sweeping and wallbreaking. Revenge could be used to hit common Rock-(add hyphen), Ice-, and Steel-types such as Probopass, Golem,(AC) and Piloswine or physically defensive walls such as and Avalugg.

Set Details
========

252 EVs invested in Speed ensures that Raticate outspeeds as much as possible, such as including base 95s Speed Pokemon such as like Sawsbuck. Guts is chosen over Hustle to inflict more damage and for a stronger take advantage of its synergy with Facade, and does lots of damage against any Pokemon that doesn't resist it. Toxic Orb is ran run over Flame Orb due to as the first 2 turns of Toxic dealing less damage to Raticate compared to than a burn. A Jolly nature is chosen over an Adamant nature to takes advantage of Raticate's higher Speed stat that Ursaring doesn't have.

Usage Tips
========

Take advantage of Guts by using it to predict switching into moves such as Toxic and Will-O-Wisp and using it them to Raticate's own advantage. Be wary of switching Raticate in on possible attacks, however, as Raticate is not only very frail but it takes status damage. Watch out for Steel- and Rock-types,(AC) as Raticate cannot do very much damage to them; its good to U-turn or switch out into a Pokemon with a favorable match-up,(RC) unless you are set up and they have already taken damage. Try to activate your Toxic Orb as soon as possible without having to take a hit as Raticate is very weak without the boost, which can be done by using Protect, revenge killing the foe, forcing a switches, or having a teammate bringing Raticate in with a pivot move such as U-turn. Although Raticate has Sucker Punch, be careful of Pokemon with priority moves such as Piloswine and Carracosta, as Raticate is very frail. Many people assume Raticate will use Protect, so use this to your advantage when it comes to predicting and use Swords Dance to force out as Pokemon such as Roselia and Fraxure are forced out and to take down its weakened checks and counters (this sounded kind of awkward).

Team Options
========

Any Pokemon with Spikes or Stealth Rock such as Roselia, Whirlipede,(AC) and Quilladin,(AC) or Stealth Rock, such as Piloswine, Golem, and or Probopass will allow you to KO Pokemon with Sturdy and KO other Pokemon,(AC) such as Avalugg, more easily, such as Avalugg, as a +2 Raticate with Facade knocks it out after Stealth Rock damage. Raticate as trouble with Steel-,(AC) and Rock-types, and non-offensive bulky Ghost-types such as Misdreavus, making Piloswine and Poliwrath great teammates. The only type of team you would put Raticate on is on a VoltTurn team, so a Pokemon like Raichu or Purugly pairs well with Raticate. Slow pivots such as Pelipper are also great for it to absorbing any damage and allowing Raticate to get its Toxic Orb activated for free. Stallbreaker Misdreavus and Raticate make a great pairing due to as Misdreavus being able can to counter or check Pokemon that wall Raticate,(AC) such as like Avalugg, Golem, or and Gourgeist. Misdreavus can burn opposing physical attackers as well as walls to wither them down, allowing Raticate to clean up easily, as well as Taunt walls to make sure they cannot use utility moves. Carry a Pokemon with Rapid Spin or Defog,(AC) as Raticate will be switching in and out often, and therefore taking lots of entry hazard damage, making Pokemon such as Armaldo, Togetic, Swanna, Vullaby,(AC) and Avalugg great teammates. Kricketune and Leavanny are great on teams with Raticate because Sticky Web allows Raticate to outspeed some Choice Scarf Pokemon and almost all grounded Pokemon in the tier. Wallbreakers such as Marowak and Simipour help to weaken the enemy team so that Raticate to come in and clean up.

Other Options
========

Super Fang allows Raticate to cripple walls much easily, while Taunt could be used for more of a supportive utility set. Wild Charge, Zen Headbutt, and Grass Knot could be used to cover Water-, Fighting-, and Rock- type Pokemon such as Carracosta, Poliwrath, and Golem,(AC) respectively. Pursuit can be used for trapping and eliminating Pokemon that may switch on out of Raticate's attack. Choice Band Hustle is not recommended, but when it hits,(AC) it packs a punch.

Checks & Counters
========

**Rock- and Steel-types**: Raticate can't really damage these Pokemon at all,(RC) with the exception of Pokemon such as Metang, which could still take a Sucker Punch from it. Golem is free to do whatever he it wants when in on a Raticate,. The same with goes for Barbaracle and Carracosta.

**Faster Pokemon**: Pokemon able to outspeed Raticate naturally and Choice Scarf users are able to KO Raticate fairly easily due to how frail Raticate it is. These Pokemon include Raichu, Ninetales, and Rotom-F. However, they have to watch out for Sucker Punch.

**Bulky Ghost-types**: Bulky Ghost-types such as Misdreavus and Gourgeist easily stall out Raticate due to Raticate being unable to Sucker Punch them,. while he In addition, Raticate can't set up Swords Dances either due to because of moves like Taunt, and takes high residual damage from moves Pokemon like such as SubSeed Gourgeist, who once behind a Substitute,(AC) can safely Seed Bomb.

**Physical Walls**: Physical walls, such as Avalugg and Tangela, have no problem absorbing Raticate's attacks. Avalugg can take a Facade from Raticate and hit back with an Avalanche,(RC) or stall with Recover. Avalugg can also take a Swords Dance boosted Facade as long as it is over 87% health. Physically Defensive Tangela easily tanks a Facade from Raticate and can retaliate with Giga Drain or stall with Leech Seed. A Swords Dance boosted Facade from Raticate 2HKOs Tangela, however.

**Priority moves**: Although Raticate has Sucker Punch to predict a priority move, it is susceptible to priority moves such as Aqua Jet, Vacuum Wave,(AC) and Ice Shard,(AC) as it is very frail.

**Residual Damage** Raticate is easily worn down by Toxic damage and Entry Hazards, limiting the amount of turns that it can attack.

**Fighting-types** Fighting-types such as Poliwrath and Machoke can switch on a predicted Sucker Punch, live a hit from Facade,(AC) and KO with their Fighting-type STAB moves.

tagging GatoDelFuego and P Squared to look at this id they have time :)

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
rubsomebacononit

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[OVERVIEW]

Raticate has access to the deadly Guts + STAB Facade combination, making it a powerful sweeper. Guts makes it so Raticate cannot unable to (kind of subjective but it sounds nicer imo) "makes Raticate unable to" would be better be crippled by burn or paralysis (can you try to phrase this differently? technically, it can be crippled by paralysis if the opponent uses Thunder Wave or something before Toxic Orb activates), while Facade has receives a STAB boost and doubles in Base Power when Raticate is inflicted with a status condition. However, it Raticate is mostly not that needed outclassed by Quick Feet Ursaring, which hits a better higher also not needed Speed tier and isn't completely walled (by what?). Although it is partially same outclassed, Raticate has a few niches that separates itself from Ursaring, including access to U-turn, which gives your team momentum, and Sucker Punch, which has priority if the foe was about to use an attacking move. this is fine originally That said, a mediocre Attack stat, frail defensive stats, and an average Speed stat limits its Raticate's change this tho potential for sweeping and cleaning up.

[SET]

Moves
========

U-turn allows Raticate to keep team momentum for the team. Facade inflicts heavy damage due its STAB and Guts boosts. Sucker Punch allows Raticate to move first against faster targets due to its semi-mediocre as its base 97 Speed stat isn't anything too great (really just something like that) keep the original but change 'its' to 'Raticate's' and covers hits the Ghost-types immune to Facade super effectively. both changes not needed Crunch is an alternative to Sucker Punch to allow reliable damage without worrying about remove the need to predict around Ghost-types such as Gourgeist-XL and Misdreavus,(AC) but loses comes at the cost of the chance to attack first. Protect allows Raticate to freely activate Toxic Orb without taking damage or if it is unable to KO a Pokemon that the first turn without Guts activated. Swords Dance allows Raticate to bluff a Protect or freely set up on a prediction forced switch,(AC) due to it's meager as a base 81 Attack stat, allowing doesn't allow it to truly unlock its true potential in sweeping and wallbreaking. Revenge could be used to hit common Rock-(add hyphen), Ice-, and Steel-types and physically defensive walls taking out that bit at the end only solves one problem but makes another such as Probopass, Golem,(AC) and Piloswine or physically defensive walls such as and Avalugg.

Set Details
========

252 EVs invested in Speed ensures that Raticate outspeeds as much as possible, such as including base 95s Speed Pokemon such as like Sawsbuck. Guts is chosen over Hustle to inflict more damage and for a stronger take advantage of its synergy with Facade, and does lots of damage against any Pokemon that doesn't resist it. removed because Guts doesn't do a lot of damage. Toxic Orb is ran run this is not needed over Flame Orb due to as not needed the first 2 turns of Toxic dealing less damage to Raticate compared to than a burn. A Jolly nature is chosen over an Adamant nature to takes advantage of Raticate's higher Speed stat that Ursaring doesn't have.

Usage Tips
========

Take advantage of Guts by using it to predict switching into moves such as Toxic and Will-O-Wisp and using it them to Raticate's own advantage. Be wary of switching Raticate in on possible attacks, however, as Raticate is not only very frail but it takes status damage from its status. Watch out for Steel- and Rock-types,(AC) as Raticate cannot do very much damage to them; it's good to U-turn or switch out into a Pokemon with a favorable match-up,(RC) unless you are Raticate is set-up and they the opposing Steel- and Rock-types have already taken damage. Try to activate your Raticate's Toxic Orb as soon as possible without having to take a hit as Raticate is very weak without the boost. (period) This which can be done by using Protect, revenge killing the foe, forcing a switches, or having a teammate bringing Raticate in with a pivot move such as U-turn. Although Raticate has Sucker Punch, be careful of Pokemon with priority moves such as Piloswine and Carracosta, as Raticate is very frail. Many people assume Raticate will use Protect, so use this to your advantage when it comes to predicting and use Swords Dance to force out as Pokemon such as Roselia and Fraxure are forced out and to take down its weakened checks and counters (this sounded kind of awkward).

Team Options
========

Any Pokemon with Spikes or Stealth Rock such as Roselia, Whirlipede,(AC) and Quilladin,(AC) or Stealth Rock, such as Piloswine, Golem, and or Probopass will allow you Raticate to KO Pokemon with Sturdy and KO other Pokemon,(AC) such as Avalugg, remove the commas around this more easily, such as Avalugg, as a +2 Raticate with Facade knocks it out after Stealth Rock damage. Raticate as trouble with Steel-,(AC) and Rock-types, and non-offensive bulky Ghost-types such as Misdreavus, making Piloswine and Poliwrath great teammates. The only type of team you would put Raticate on is on a VoltTurn team, so a Pokemon like Raichu or Purugly pairs well with Raticate. Slow pivots such as Pelipper are also great for it to absorbing any damage and allowing Raticate to get its Toxic Orb activated for free. Stallbreaker Misdreavus and Raticate make a great pairing due to as Misdreavus being able can to these changes aren't needed counter or check Pokemon that wall Raticate,(AC) such as like comma isn't needed Avalugg, Golem, or and Gourgeist. Misdreavus can burn opposing physical attackers as well as walls to wither them down, allowing Raticate to clean up easily, as well as Taunt walls to make sure they cannot use utility moves. Carry a Pokemon with Rapid Spin or Defog,(AC) as Raticate will be switching in and out often, and therefore taking lots of entry hazard damage, making Pokemon such as Armaldo, Togetic, Swanna, Vullaby,(AC) and Avalugg great teammates. Kricketune and Leavanny are great on teams with Raticate because Sticky Web allows Raticate to outspeed some Choice Scarf Pokemon and almost all grounded Pokemon in the tier. include examples of Choice Scarf Pokemon outsped Wallbreakers such as Marowak and Simipour help to weaken the enemy team so that Raticate to come in and clean up.

Other Options
========

Super Fang allows Raticate to cripple walls much more easily, while Taunt could be used for more of a supportive utility set. Wild Charge, Zen Headbutt, and Grass Knot could be used to cover Water-, Fighting-, and Rock- type Pokemon such as Carracosta, Poliwrath, and Golem,(AC) respectively. Pursuit can be used for trapping and eliminating Pokemon that may might switch on out of Raticate's attack. Choice Band Hustle is not recommended, but when it hits,(AC) it packs a punch.

Checks & Counters
========

**Rock- and Steel-types**: Raticate can't really damage these Pokemon Rock- and Steel-types at all,(RC) with the exception of Pokemon such as Metang, which could still take a Sucker Punch anyway from it. Golem is free to do whatever he it wants when in on a Raticate,. The same with goes for Barbaracle and Carracosta.

**Faster Pokemon**: Pokemon able to outspeed Raticate naturally and Choice Scarf users are able to KO Raticate fairly easily due to how frail Raticate it is. These Pokemon include Raichu, Ninetales, and Rotom-F. However, they have to watch out for Sucker Punch.

**Bulky Ghost-types**: Bulky Ghost-types such as Misdreavus and Gourgeist easily stall out Raticate due to Raticate being unable to Sucker Punch them,. while he In addition, Raticate can't set up Swords Dances either due to because of moves like Taunt, and takes high residual damage from moves Pokemon like such as SubSeed Gourgeist, who which once behind a Substitute,(AC) this comma is incorrect can safely Seed Bomb.

**Physical Walls**: Physical walls, such as Avalugg and Tangela, have no problem absorbing Raticate's attacks. Avalugg can take a Facade from Raticate and hit back with an Avalanche,(RC) or stall with Recover. Avalugg can also take a Swords Dance-boosted Facade as long as it is over 87% health. Physically defensive Tangela easily tanks a Facade from Raticate and can retaliate with Giga Drain or stall with Leech Seed. A Swords Dance-boosted Facade from Raticate 2HKOes Tangela, however.

**Priority Moves**: Although Raticate has Sucker Punch to predict a priority move, it is susceptible to priority moves such as Aqua Jet, Vacuum Wave,(AC) and Ice Shard,(AC) as it is very frail.

**Residual Damage** Raticate is easily worn down by Toxic damage and entry hazards, limiting the amount of turns that it can attack.

**Fighting-types** Fighting-types such as Poliwrath and Machoke can switch on a predicted Sucker Punch, live a hit from Facade,(AC) and KO with their Fighting-type STAB moves.

1/2

check over the additional changes ununhexium and try to tone down on the simple rephrasings.

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
noticed a couple of errors from implementing the previous check, quoting this post will make implementing easier :)

remove
add (Capitalize)

(comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
[OVERVIEW]

Raticate has access to the deadly Guts + STAB Facade combination, making it a powerful sweeper. Guts makes Raticate unable to be crippled by burn or paralysis, while Facade receives a STAB boost and doubles in Base Power when Raticate is inflicted with a status condition. However, Raticate is outclassed by Quick Feet Ursaring, which hits a higher Speed tier and isn't completely walled by Rock- and Steel-types. Although it is partially outclassed, Raticate has a few niches that separate it from Ursaring, including access to U-turn, which gives your team momentum, and Sucker Punch, which has priority if the foe was about to use an attacking move. That said, a mediocre Attack stat, frail bad (a numerical value can't be frail) defensive stats, and an average Speed stat limit Raticate's potential for sweeping and cleaning up.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

U-turn allows Raticate to keep momentum for the team. Facade inflicts heavy damage due its STAB and Guts boosts. Sucker Punch allows Raticate to move first against faster targets, (AC) as its base 97 Speed stat isn't too great, (AC) and hits Ghost-types immune to Facade. Crunch is an alternative to Sucker Punch to to remove the need to predict around Ghost-types such as Gourgeist-XL and Misdreavus, but it comes at the cost of the chance to attack first. Protect allows Raticate to freely activate Toxic Orb without taking damage or if it is unable to KO a Pokemon the first turn without Guts activated. Swords Dance allows Raticate to bluff a Protect or freely set up on a forced switch, as a base 81 Attack stat doesn't allow it to truly unlock it's true potential in sweeping and wallbreaking. Revenge could be used to hit common Rock-, Ice- and Steel-types such as Probopass, Golem, Piloswine, and Avalugg. (do you mean on the switch? might make sense to add that, it has negative priority after all)

Set Details
========

252 EVs invested in Speed ensuresthat ensure that Raticate outspeeds as much as possible, including base 95 Speed Pokemon such as Sawsbuck. Guts is chosen over Hustle to take advantage of its synergy with Facade. Toxic Orb is ran over Flame Orb due to because the first 2 two turns of Toxic deal less damage to Raticate than a burn. A Jolly nature is chosen over an Adamant nature to take advantage of Raticate's higher Speed stat that Ursaring doesn't have.

Usage Tips
========

Take advantage of Guts by switching into moves such as Toxic and Will-O-Wisp and using them to Raticate's advantage. Be wary of switching Raticate in on possible attacks, however, as Raticate is not only very frail but it takes damage from its status. Watch out for Steel- and Rock-types. as Raticate cannot do very much damage to them; it's good to U-turn or switch out into a Pokemon with a favorable matchup (remove hyphen) unless Raticate is set up and the opposing Steel- and Rock-types have taken damage. Try to activate Raticate Toxic Orb as soon as possible without having to take a hit, (AC) as it is very weak without the boost, which can be done by using Protect, revenge killing a foe, forcing a switch, or having a teammate bringing Raticate in with a pivoting move such as U-turn. Although Raticate has Sucker Punch, be careful of Pokemon with priority moves such as Piloswine and Carracosta, as Raticate is very frail. Many people assume Raticate will use Protect, so use this to your advantage when it comes to predicting and use Swords Dance as Pokemon such as Roselia and Fraxure are forced out.

Team Options
========

Any Pokemon with Spikes or Stealth Rock such as Roselia, Whirlipede, Quilladin, Piloswine, Golem, or Probopass will allow Raticate to KO Pokemon with Sturdy and KO other Pokemon (RC) such as Avalugg more easily, as a +2 Raticate with Facade knocks it out after Stealth Rock damage. Raticate as has trouble with Steel-, Rock-, and bulky Ghost-types such as Misdreavus, making Piloswine and Poliwrath great teammates. The only type of team you would put Raticate on is on a VoltTurn team, so a Pokemon like Raichu or Purugly pair pairs well with Raticate. Slow pivots such as Pelipper are also great for absorbing damage and allowing Raticate to get its Toxic Orb activated for free. Stallbreaker Misdreavus and Raticate make a great pairing, (AC) as Misdreavus can counter or check Pokemon that wall Raticate such as Avalugg, Golem, and Gourgeist. Misdreavus can burn opposing physical attackers as well as walls to wither them down, allowing Raticate to clean up easily, as well as Taunt walls to make sure they cannot use utility moves. Carry a Pokemon with Rapid Spin or Defog, as Raticate will be switching in and out often (RC) and therefore taking lots of entry hazard damage, making Pokemon such as Armaldo, Togetic, Swanna, Vullaby, and Avalugg great teammates. Kricketune and Leavanny are great on teams with Raticate because Sticky Web allows Raticate to outspeed some Choice Scarf Pokemon, such as Rotom-F and Aurorus, and almost all grounded Pokemon in the tier. Wallbreakers such as Marowak and Simipour help to weaken the enemy team so that Raticate to come in and clean up.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
========

Super Fang allows Raticate to cripple walls more easily, while Taunt could be used for more of a supportive utility set. Wild Charge, Zen Headbutt, and Grass Knot could be used to cover Water-, Fighting-, and Rock- type Pokemon such as Carracosta, Poliwrath, and Golem, respectively. Pursuit can be used for trapping and eliminating Pokemon that might switch out Raticate's attack. A Choice Band set with Hustle is not recommended, but when it hits, it packs a punch.

Checks & Counters
========

**Rock- and Steel-types**: Raticate can't really damage these Pokemon Rock- and Steel-types at all, (AC) with the exception of Pokemon such as Metang, which could still take a Sucker Punch anyway. Golem is free to do whatever it wants when in on Raticate. The same goes for Barbaracle and Carracosta.

**Faster Pokemon**: Pokemon able to outspeed Raticate naturally and Choice Scarf users are able to KO Raticate fairly easily due to how frail it is. These Pokemon include Raichu, Ninetales, and Rotom-F. However, they have to watch out for Sucker Punch.

**Bulky Ghost-types**: Bulky Ghost-types such as Misdreavus and Gourgeist easily stall out Raticate due to Raticate being unable Raticate's inability to hit them with Sucker Punch them. In addition, Raticate can't set up Swords Dances because of Taunt (RC) and takes lots of residual damage from moves Pokemon like SubSeed Gourgeist, which behind a Substitute can safely Seed Bomb.

**Physical Walls**: Physical walls, such as Avalugg and Tangela, have no problem absorbing Raticate's attacks. Avalugg can take a Facade from Raticate and hit back with an Avalanche or stall with Recover. Avalugg can also take a Swords Dance-boosted (remove + add hyphen) Facade as long as it is over 87% health. Physically defensive Tangela easily tanks a Facade from Raticate and can retaliate with Giga Drain or stall with Leech Seed. A Swords Dance-boosted (remove + add hyphen)Facade from Raticate 2HKOes Tangela, however.

**Priority Moves**: Although Raticate has Sucker Punch to predict a priority move, it is susceptible to priority moves such as Aqua Jet, Vacuum Wave, and Ice Shard, as it is very frail.

**Residual Damage**: (colon) Raticate is easily worn down by Toxic damage andeEntry and entry hazards, limiting the amount of turns that it can attack.

**Fighting-types**:(colon) Fighting-types such as Poliwrath and Machoke can switch on a predicted Sucker Punch, live survive a hit from Facade, and KO with their Fighting-type STAB moves.

GP 2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)