Recolors -- Using Ripped Colors from Sugimori Art

Key: Left -- Game Sprite; Right -- Recolored

[DISCLAIMER] I saved the picture as an optimized GIF, so Medicham looks like crap because it's speckled. Both Medichams got speckled because GIFs can only support a maximum amount of colors equal to 256, and the picture had a color amount slightly above that. I'll try to save it as a .PNG next time so it won't speckle any Pokemon.​

The above shows how the Pokemon should really look according to the colors Sugimori used in thier respective official art. I think the most notable improvement is Rhyperior.

Rhyperior has always seemed horrendous to me with the extremely vibrant orange and plain gray, but Sugimori's art made him look amazing. Rhyperior basically started my recoloring on some Pokemon. On some Pokemon you may not notice a difference, and I only recolored them because my sister wanted me to recolor them. The old Medicham is almost exactly right to the Sugimori colors.

Rhyperior is great, but WOW! That Staraptor looks absolutely awesome now that it doesn't look so...dull.

I bet a Milotic would look cool if it were to be redone.

Just wondering... are we allowed to use the sprites for say, in trainer cards or something like that? Also could you try Gliscor? It seems kinda dark. Your Rhyperior, Electivire and Staraptor look awesome.

Can you try Palkia? The original sprite doesn't look pale enough. The recolored Pokemon look much better in my opinion.

Metagross, Garchomp, Mantine, Milotic, Gliscor, and Palkia? Yeah, I can probably color those. I'll also color Weavile while I'm at it too. It seems to me that Weavile is using a dark blue as its base color instead of black.

I'll start as soon as I finish hatching and checking the IVs of this next batch of Treeckos.

EDIT: Done with the requests. I suppose I am taking color revamp requests now... >___>

Although, I can't really think of many more Pokemon who are really off-color.

Yeah, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow or sometime. Send me a PM if I forget tomorrow. I may just hop straight onto hatching Treeckos again and might forget your request.

They look awesome IMO. Mind if I do some myself?

Sorry for the awkward balance between the two. The Porygon2 on the left is roughly how it should look according to Sugimori's colors

EDIT: Sorry Striker for taking your request, but I did a Drifloon one:

The Drifloon on the right is roughly how it should be colored according to the Sugimori artwork. I actually forgot to change the outline (silly me) but other than that, it looks good

Recolored Dusknoir and original Dusknoir. Yet again, I forgot the outline, but it should make that large of a difference

Omanyte, recolored and original. The most noticable change is the shell

Here is Magnemite. The body gets a noticeable change, as well as the ends of the magnets

A lot of those look a lot better, however, the Garchomp just look slike the Shiny version.

and I <3 the Toxicroak.

Easton, are you using Photoshop for the recolors?

I divide out the colors that need to get seperated with the Magic Wand and move them out. Then, I siphon a color on the area of Sugimori's Art and place it on a layer below the section of the Pokemon that needs to get recolored. (Example: All the blue on Garchomp) Then, I set the section of Pokemon to the Luminoscity setting and it'll shade out the section according to the color on the layer below it.

Dusknoir for example lost the shading changes in your recolors, and it was likely because you siphoned the color out of a darker portion of the Sugimori art, which wasn't dark enough.

Using the Luminoscity changes automatically siphons the color of the layer below it and appropriately applies it to the layer according to how dark it is.

Yeah, I like it better because it's black instead of blue, and the fin thingy is more red, since before it was kinda pink. It's one of my favourites, along with Rhyperior, Electivire, and Metagross.

StrangerDanger

RETURN TO COMPETITIVE POKEMON ISLAND
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'd suggest adding Eastons, making a pseudo-compendium of Sugimori recolors, as long as requests are being taken, of course.

And to add to the chorus line, a recolor Nidoking?

Weavile and Toxicroak I would say are the most interesting when it comes to how different the colors are.... for some reason I expected Mismagius to be darker in Sugimori colors...

New Update: Recolored all Starter Pokemon.

What do you think? I really like the Venusaur improvement the best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)