1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Revenankh Analysis (Part II)

Discussion in 'Create-A-Pokémon Project' started by tennisace, Dec 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tennisace

tennisace
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Contributor to Smogon Social Mediais a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Twitter Head

Took me a sec to understand what you were saying; I found and fixed it.
  2. RaikouLover

RaikouLover

I haven't played CAP in a long time, but when I used Rev, I went with Brick Break instead of Hammer Arm. Lowering speed isn't that bad I guess, but it was the shitty 90% accuracy I was worried about. Don't we generally list less powerful but more accurate moves with a slash?
  3. tennisace

tennisace
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Contributor to Smogon Social Mediais a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Twitter Head

Hammer Arm is pretty much superior, but I guess I can add it in Set Comments. It's not used enough for a slash.
  4. eric the espeon

eric the espeon maybe I just misunderstood
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Please can IP get some mention in Set Comments of the BU set or Other Options about its use on the BU set? If most people don't want it on the main set, fine. But it is perfectly good as an option and should be put somewhere.

There is a very short mention in Counters ("All Salamence variants should be careful of the rare Ice Punch.") but even without any mention of it on the BU set in the analysis before this point neally 10% of Revs have it. Thats not the main point though. The main reason it deservs listing is its ability to wear down some of Rev's best normal counters (Zapdos, Salamence, Dragonite, Fidgit, Celebi (more power than STAB SS), Gliscor, Crobat and Flygon are all major threats to Rev and Ice Punch is the best attack for all of them.), sure you have more trouble against frail Psychics and Gengar but SS Rev's very existance has forced the usage of most fo them down considorably.

The Pokemon you will want to use SS against in the top 30 (CaP stats):
    Other Rev: But you get into a BU war and its really whoever crits first wins. SS tends to have an advantage.
    Sashed Syclant: Hammer Arm still beats them if they switch into you on a BU. SS means you take less damage, both win.
    Starmie: The main reason to use SS, but after 1 BU it will not do enough to stop Star from forceing you out with Psychic. Lose both ways.
    Azelf: Almost always suicide leads so should not run into Revy.
    Gengar: Very rare now. Shadow Ball will not 1KO unless its a Specs set anyway.
    SS wins, IP will lose unless you catch it on the switch or have a few BUs.
  5. darkie

darkie mfw i see alison brie
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Contributor to Smogon Social Mediais a Smogon IRC AOPis a Super Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Public Relations

I agree. Ice Punch works well with Mach Punch, giving you a good move combination (Ice + Fight rocks) as well as priority. Hammer Arm still works though.
  6. panamaxis

panamaxis Allons-y!
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

I haven't really spent much time in the CAP forum, but I just noticed one thing:

Because of the speed drop

shouldn't this be, because of Revanankh's lack of speed? Because his speed isn't actually getting dropped, like when you use curse?
  7. eric the espeon

eric the espeon maybe I just misunderstood
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Darkie: Mach Punch/IP could work but I have always found the raw power in Hammer Arm pretty necessary for breaking down certain things. Even with +6/+6 its not going to be smashing through, say, Pyroak.

And pana Hammer Arm lowers speed.
  8. Infiltrator

Infiltrator

I also agree with Eric besides the speed drop and raw power the also has a missing chance which could cost you sometime during a battle.
  9. Plus

Plus real vibes
    is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Mach Punch and Ice Punch combos are obviously not as common as Sneak+Hammer Arm, and I think the ability to hit stuff like gengar with Shadow Sneak and the ability to actually dent steel types apart from mach punch is more valuable. However, the Mach+Ice Punch combo allows you to hit flying types a bit more efficiently. Now, flying types that would actually be hurt by Ice Punch would be Staraptor and Togekiss, both of which outspeed rev and would either ko or massively dent it anyways. Due to the fact that even with Ice Punch, Togekiss and Staraptor would still pack a shitload to rev, that's one of the reasons why I would not use that combo. I'd rather switch to a counter than hope to survive and kill with IP. Perhaps it would do well with predicted switch ins, but that's going a bit too far, I'd say. It's main selling point is definitely the ability to hit zapdos super hard, which is a pretty valuable trait.

Regarding Hammer Arm:

I'm not sure if it's just me, and I'm pretty sure it's not, but I'd trade a shitload of a punch for a mere drop in accuracy as opposed to 2 weaker moves. If I had a move with 100 BP and 95 accuracy with stab, I'd choose it over it's 95/100 acc counterpart with stab. 150>143. Safer option. Hammer Arm is the main attack of Revenankh, and is definitely part of it's main set (Shedrest with Bulk Up). If x attack missed because of a little accuracy hax, it's nonetheless still a viable option as long as the risk of using that move with less accuracy is worth it. For example, you have Hydro Pump used over Surf for many waters due to the fact that it hits a lot harder. Likewise, this is why Sneak+Hammer Arm is more common than Mach Punch+IP. It's just going to hit a lot harder and pose much more of a threat to your opponent's team.

And that's my input for now.
  10. Umbreon Dan

Umbreon Dan 〉λ=
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

That's all I saw.
    The set comments for Three Attacks was fairly messed up; obviously just a copying error.

And Beware the SANDSTORM OF HAIL!
    :P
  11. tennisace

tennisace
    Twitter Head

Fixed everything, added a line about Ice Punch/Mach Punch in other options because the Bulk Up set doesn't really need it in there.
  12. Caelum

Caelum qibz official stalker
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

This seems really out of place in the Opinion section, in particular the first sentence. It's more appropriate in Other Options.
  13. tennisace

tennisace
    Twitter Head

Whoops I wondered why it didn't make sense... Good catch!
  14. Caelum

Caelum qibz official stalker
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

One last thing, Pursuit should at least be mentioned in Other Options (or set comments since I like it on that set but I won't push it) for the CB set to hurt some frailer things that are weak to your STAB as they attempt to switch. It's useful for switching Stratagem, Blissey, Celebi, Azelf, Starmie , Gengar etc who has no desire to stay in on you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)