RMT forum idea

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I saw [thread=22586]this thread[/thread], and thought that this was a really nice idea. Anyone else think this would be cool? If other people are up for it, every other day I'll post a "team of the day" link here and we can all descend on it and give helpful advice. Some newbie gets a good team rating, other posters see what good contributions are...what's not to like?

GreenPikachu

pumpkin pieco
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
wow, that sounds great. i'm all for that. i definitely couldn't help at first-i still need to study up. conceptually though, it's great.

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The only way to really prevent that is to get more good team raters... personally, I'll pitch in once we're done with the analyses.

GreenPikachu

pumpkin pieco
well, i mean in general we could all rate teams a bit more once things really get going, but i think having a specific Team the "pros" pick apart each day will help EVERYONE. like surgo said, it helps the person whose team was picked, and for those who read through the comments, they learn better ways to critique teams.

i guess i like the idea, but i think the topic starter's reasoning for it was rather off

if i thought my team was solid, went and played pokemon, and lost atrociously, i would LEARN from that experience. experience is the best way to learn; you really shouldnt get any sense of security coming out of an rmt thread, imo. i mean if you know how to play the game well, then you wont need people to help you out with your team (im not saying good players always know everything, you know what i mean). and if you dont know how to play the game well, then a really good team someone made for you wont make much of a difference.

practise, practise, practise is the answer. to iterate, discovering how to fix your team should come naturally once you get a better understanding of pokemon, and a good team wont make up for little to no understanding of pokemon.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I like the idea. As it is, there are just so many teams to rate that I just go in there every once in a while, and pick 3 threads at random. If it seems like the poster has some idea of what they're doing, I do a full rate, but if none of these measure up, I just don't feel like going through more threads and give up. As long as the team chosen isn't completely dumb (I trust you guys on this one), this would definitely lead to me rating more teams.

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
me gusta.

Like Misty, I'll be willing to help out more after the analyses are done and I get back to the states.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I saw that thread and thought to myself "hey it wouldnt be too much effort for me personally to rate 1 team a day" if we had like, 10 people doing that, we wouldnt get to every team, but we would get through a solid chunk..

I dont really like this idea because there is only so much we can say about a team.. I think it would be better if we rated more teams even if it wasnt as indepth.

Have a nice day.

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
yeah this is pretty much a chunk of time you'd have to be willing to devote your time to. if you have nothing better to do ok but still, plus i think i'd have a different priority right now and that is get the analyses done.

it's not a bad idea, but i think it'd eat up too much manpower for us better spent elsewhere.

I suppose we could use a standard team rating format - individual preferences, threat list check, and a conclusion out of all of it. I'll help when I can, but I think finishing the last batch of D/P analyses has priority.

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
If we gave more rigid guidelines to the position of "Team Rater" then this could be really successful. As of now, the badge has been a reward for giving good team rates in the past... but that could be changed. Say, maybe, all members of the "Team Rating Task Force" are to give # of rates per week to ensure that they high quality advice keeps coming rather than dying down after the badge is awarded. I dunno, someone would have to be in charge and monitor it though.

GreenPikachu

pumpkin pieco
If we gave more rigid guidelines to the position of "Team Rater" then this could be really successful. As of now, the badge has been a reward for giving good team rates in the past... but that could be changed. Say, maybe, all members of the "Team Rating Task Force" are to give # of rates per week to ensure that they high quality advice keeps coming rather than dying down after the badge is awarded. I dunno, someone would have to be in charge and monitor it though.
i like this idea. it seems they did just kind of randomly go out to people. i mean, they were deserved yes, but it would make more sense to give "rigid guidelines" like Aeolus said so and have a set team of them, kind of like how the tutors worked.

Aeolus

Bag
If we want to try something like that, I assume we'd have people "send an application" via PM to be a team rater to whomever is in charge of the project(much like how I handle the tutoring program: 95% of the people get a "no")... and the person in charge makes sure that each member of the rating team remains active.

Sonuis

Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated!
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
To me, this sounds like Communism. It's only good on paper.

Now, TheMaster42 has a valid point. New players who come to the Smogon community may get pissed off because after their team was rated on Smogon, "a well respected community", (Note: Not putting down Smogon via quotation marks. New player) and get swept when battling their friends, Wi-Fi, and soon to come Competitor. I know I'd be pissed.

Now, here's the big problem. A lot of teams are posted daily. At least a new page of teams is created each day on the RMT board for D/P alone. It's not like D/P isn't the only game out there that needs teams to be rated and give improvement suggestions. You'll have to supply choices for Gematics 1 (GSC) & 2 (D/P), Advance, and Chromatics. That's a lot of teams, and some of the team raters might not be best suited for one category over another. Gematics 2 may have all the attention, but as I said, people are still submitting teams for other generations.

If this happens, and you decide to setup a PM system with teams being suggested for a special review by Team Raters, then Team Raters/whoever is going to handle PMs will be flooded with PMs. This could cause discrimination though for players who get their team hand selected by a Team Rater. That player might have wanted a certain person review their team, and not someone else. It'll be even rougher though if multiple Team Raters rattling at each other.

Currently, there are only five Team Raters (based off of "Smogon Forum Leaders", but that's only by title). Plus, Three really count since two are basically inactive. There are going to be a lot of new Team Rater badges that need to be handed out. As we have noticed in this topic, we've got a few people who are willing to help out. With the amount of teams, decisions, and available, I imagine that there will at least need to be fifteen new badges (handed between both staff and members on the board) for Team Raters. That's a real tough thing to do.

You must consider if a person can rate a team for any generation well, or if they're limited to just one or two generations. For example, Sir Chris is a god when it comes to Gematics 1. However, he might have a little (not a lot though) when it comes to other generations. Though, he may have hit or missed a team. That's an issue which might come up. That would mean people wouldn't like him rating say... I dunno, Chromatics?

Team Raters should try and make a lower tier Pokémon work for their team before replacing them with another Pokémon right away. Good examples would be teams done by Nobie (SDShamshel), who tries to use untraditional Pokémon to make teams that could win. Some of his teams surprisingly work out well. I know that there will be filtering on repetitive teams and people who get special treatment, but if teams without specially used Pokémon/Strategies gets ignored, then this idea is mute. Finally, if Team Raters ignore this principle, then the concept of special selection RMTs would be obliterated.

Also, I don't see how this raises the standards for RMTs. This could possibly promote more of the same teams to be generated than a wider variety of teams. Though, it's like the variety is wide at this point. Also, what will become of teams that are made specifically for Double Battles? Can Team Raters rate those types of teams? I know that a lot of people tend to stay away from Double Battles.

I know that people will be able to post their own teams on the RMT
board, but when teams get special attention, then teams posted by normal members could get ignored instantaneously. Would you like to read a team thread that someone just made up on the fly, or would you rather read a team thread that was hand selected by the Smogon staff to be reviewed? I'm going read the special review.

Well, it's obvious by now that I've repeated myself. I don't know if I've focused on all the right points, but I just don't agree with this idea. It will be a waste of time and effort. Then again, I'm a Ladybug Badge holder... so yeah.

I would be interested in participating in something like this. A valid concern is that a bunch of people would be saying the same things, since there is only so much you can say about a team. I think if it is to happen, the team (or teams) should be constructed with varying rater mentalities in mind so the teams that rated get a variety of suggestions. For example, I rely on more high-risk, high-reward tactics, while Surgo might prescribe to a more sturdy, defensive oriented team. We would both be presenting different views on the team and facilitate an environment that would stimulate more conversation. For the same reason, I agree with Sonuis that someone like Nobie could potentially be helpful, if interested.

Aeolus

Bag
I don't really find any of the "problems" listed in Sonuis' post to be of any concern.

To address what you called "the big problem" being that we'd have to provide equal support for the other generations... that just isn't true. I suspended the tutoring program because the interest in them is so minimal... that is was not enough to support having a program. D/P is all that anyone cares about at the present.

And look, we know that there are a lot of teams posted each day... the goal here isn't so much that EACH and every one of them gets rated by a certified team rater. Instead, the goal is have a group of intelligent people who are committed to the board.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Sorry for the delay, here's the first team:
[thread=22681]Here we go.[/thread]

It may seem 'a little boring', but I chose it because he claims it's his first team for this gen, and he is actively trying to make changes to cover up weaknesses. Maybe we can give him a hand?

Surgo

goes to eleven
Had I known he was going to do that, and be somewhat inflexible with his team members, I'd have picked somebody else's team to rate. I'll be sure to pick someone better on friday. Sorry guys...oh well.

Surgo

goes to eleven
Alright CoolTrainer20 PMed me with some ideas so I made a sticky sign-up thread in the RMT forum. It should hopefully cut down on inflexible morons...sorry about that last one guys. I'll look through all the teams posted and pick one for tomorrow's RMT.

Had I known he was going to do that, and be somewhat inflexible with his team members, I'd have picked somebody else's team to rate. I'll be sure to pick someone better on friday. Sorry guys...oh well.
I think in many ways it's probably good to get people like that sometimes... like that topic creator seems to rather enjoy pointing out, having a bunch of mods post in the topic gets the topic read and I think people will notice the dude not taking our advice and end up being a bit more accepting of it in the future themselves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)