[RMT] Not Quite Giving In

Greetings. So here I am, playing Pokemon for almost a decade and a half, have done all there is to do within each main game, patron of thousands of WiFi matches, and all I ever do is get irritated by Scizors, Rotoms, sand and rain teams. I try to be original in my online bouts, and was somewhat successful going rank 211 with a Baton Pass team. Do I give in to the metagame and start VoltTurning my way to a rainy victory? Well... almost. This is the first time I've made a team so heavily OU, but I still think it retains a bout of originality that I crave. I slapped it together in about five minutes using some simple type analysis, and since trying it out my victories certainly seem to come much easier. Lets see what can be improved hm?

Jellicent – @ Leftovers
Water Absorb
Ice Beam / Scald / Shadow Ball
Will-o-Wisp
Taunt
Recover
Bold
248 HP / 44 Speed / 216 Defense

Jellicent was always a favorite of mine, both for its general coolness and its ability to counter everything that I hate. Scizor, Terrakion, Rotom-W and dragons are all wary if the power of the 'stache. Forms a core with Forretress as well, a sort of pseudo Jellothorn combination, with the gaps in it filled in by the rest of the team. A useful spinblocker for Forretress as well. A standard Utility Counter, and on that note it's quite fun to use taunt to wear down walls. The choices between attacks is almost never ending, with Ice Beam to pick off dragons, Scald for extra burn but contradicting with the sun on my team, and Shadow Ball for a more reliable STAB. I currently run Ice Beam and am fairly pleased with it, any differing opinions?

Forretress – @ Leftovers
Sturdy
Rapid Spin
Volt Switch
Stealth Rocks
Gyro Ball
Relaxed
252 HP / 252 Sp. Defense / 4 Defense [Minimum speed]

I find myself using Forretress almost constantly. For me Rapid Spin and hazards are both too good to pass up, and Forretress deals both fairly well. Volt Switch does what it does best, forming a cheaply easy strategy without manifesting my hatred for Scizor and Rotom-W, and once in awhile gets damage on Gyarados or Cloyster or something. Gyro Ball can pull off nice damage, taking on the likes of Terrakion and other sweepers while Sturdy works its magic.

Ninetales – @ Leftovers
Drought
Sunny Day
Fire Blast / Flamethrower
Solarbeam
Will-o-Wisp
Modest
136 HP / 252 Sp. Attack / 120 Speed

In my hatred of rain and sand for their domination, it occurred to me that weather was a key factor in my sweep, and so sun was the way to get rid of enemy weather without the debilitating effects of Hail, my favorite weather. No need to base my whole team around it either, but having sun can be beneficial for me as well. Hopefully I don't need to explain why Sunny Day is on a Drought Ninetales, which incidentally makes Solarbeam more viable. WoW is just good. Fire Blast has a nice power, which Ninetales somewhat lacks, but sometimes the one miss means everything. Usually, however, I have Fire Blast.

Magnezone – @ Air Balloon
Magnet Pull
HP Fire
Volt Switch
Thunder Wave
Flash Cannon
Timid
16 HP / 252 Sp. Attack / 240 Speed

Since I wanted some paralysis support to get rid of the super fast Pokemon in my way, I changed up my old Choice Specs and added it on in place of Thunder. While noticeably lacking power, this Magnezone still does its job of eliminating steels. To horribly paraphrase a certain, popular anime, "Steels will always exist, as the wall you must overcome, even if you were to hate them." Volt Switch again, because Volt Switch, and goes with Forretress, Flash Cannon for a more consistent STAB. The given spread is enough to outrun Jolly Scizor and maybe something else less important I dunno, created after such a Scizor proved to be the bane of my existence. Let me know if the EVs are off at all, I didn't use a stat calculator with them. The Air Balloon is something I threw on it on a whim, and I'm liking it hugely, letting me switch in on earthquakes, and gives me one way to deal with most Mamoswine, a huge threat to this team.

Ditto – @ Choice Scarf
Imposter
Transform
-
-
-
Sassy
252 HP / 252 Sp. Defense / 4 Defense [Minimum speed]

Well what can you say about the pimpmaster? So named The Blob after that one horror movie. I've honestly been itching to try out the Imposter Ditto since it was released, and upon doing so have discovered it to be indescribably useful. The question of how good Ditto is must be answered by how many Pokemon can defeat themselves, which is considerable. I've honestly gotten more sweeps with Ditto than my main sweeper below. Since it became known to me that Transform only copies the positive stat changes, there was lulz to be had involving Smashers and SmashPassers, my knowledge of which is considerable considering how long I spent using Baton Pass. I know Baton Pass inside and out, and Ditto is among the more perfect counters for it, among others. The IVs give it HP Ice upon transformation, as they are not copied, and the EVs max HP, which does not get copied. In honesty the rest of it doesn't matter, but apparently lets you beat out opposing Ditto if you somehow have only both of them left, and kind of take a hit from Zoroark.

Salamence – @ Lum Berry
Moxie
Dragon Dance
Earthquake
Fire Fang/Fire Blast
Outrage
Adamant / Naughty
4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed

Since Dragonite is a good deal more popular these days, I don't feel too much like a scrub for using Salamence, and the new Move Tutors mean it can reach its most devastating potential and have both Dragon Dance and Outrage. This was essentially how the team was created: what do I need to do to pave the way for Salamence? The Lum Berry gives me more opportunities to set up, and lets me keep my mind after an Outrage and use a coverage move or continue the rampage. I know some blowhards will make mention of Fire Fang, which is true, but not taking advantage of the attack boosts grinds my gears, and a miss could end me. Not that Fire Fang has perfect accuracy, but Fire Blast will miss three times as often, and the flinch has saved my rear end a few times. Sun gives it a sort-of-STAB anyway. Still, Fire Blast has its points. Salamence is supposed to clean up, but Ditto probably does it more. Oh yeah, the flying type completes my whole defense matrix, which I made using names. And arrows. Moving on...

Nuisances:

Mamoswine's top-of-the-world super effective coverage is hugely threatening, not to mention Endeavor and Ice Shard tearing down my walls and stopping a Salamence sweep. Jellicent can usually handle it, and Magnezone in some cases. Volcarona has always been a thorn in my side--when it's not a thorn in the opponents side that is--especially if rocks aren't up and with its new Giga Drain toy. And don't just say "rocks means it sucks" like every one here did in the early days before the tiers got worked out, any smart person uses Volcarona with Rapid Spin. Takes advantage of my sun too. Stall teams, especially Rain Stall is a challenge to break through, as Ditto isn't much help there. Prankster users as well, but then, aren't they always.

So then, any thoughts? I love feedback, especially on teams I put little effort into. Anyone see any ways I can improve it? :naughty:

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hello, and welcome to Smogon!

First off I suggest you slightly change up your Forretress spread to be a little more efficient on both sides of the spectrum. Test out a slightly different spread of 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef to help tank weak special attacks such as Scalds. I also highly suggest changing up to a Naive Nature on Salamence over Adamant or Naughty to give you maximum speed and Fire Blast enough power to strike against steels types such as Ferrothorn and Skarmory. Finally, to help with Mamoswine, I suggest trying a spread of 248 / 164 SDef / 96 Spe Timid Ninetails to outspeed and KO Mamoswine.

Now you have quite the problem with stuff like Rotom-W and even Gastrodon to an extent. Rotom-W can Volt Switch dance around your team with ease, while hitting Magnezone hard even in the sun with a stray Hydro Pump or Hidden Power Fire. Like you yourself stated, you have a problem with stuff like Volcarona, Mamoswine, and stall teams also. Latios is also a huge thorn in your side as you don't have anything that can continuously take Draco Meteors over and over again. To help fix the problem with the bulky waters I suggest testing out Venusaur over Ditto. Ditto essentially leaves you one Poke down against stall teams, so I suggest trying this out to handle it a bit better instead of playing with a disadvantage right off the bat. Venusaur also can defeat the bulky waters such as Rotom-W and Gastrodon, giving you a solid electric resist. I also suggest trying out Magma Trapper Heatran over Magnezone. Heatran still gives you respectable synergy with Salamence, and can also help you defeat Rain Stall through trapping Politoed and eliminating it. However this set does that one step further, trapping Blissey and taking it out too.

Venusaur @ Life Orb / Leftovers | Chlorophyll
92 Atk / 236 SpA / 180 Spe
Naive Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

Heatran @ Leftovers | Flash Fire
56 HP / 252 SAtk / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Solar Beam
- Sunny Day
- Taunt

Good luck!

Hmm seems this would extend my ability to counter threats. I'll make some changes and see how they fare. Yesterday I had only used the team for that day, and after further testing today Gastrodon is certainly irritating, Rotom-W a bit less so but the more powerful variants in particular. The last time I faced a Gastrodon it messed me up to the point where I wondered how I would win, as seen here:
http://pokemon.aesoft.org/replay-Iggy-Sent-Me-vs-SmokeWeed--2012-09-11

When Gastrodon used HP grass on the Ditto switch in, I guess he was expecting Jellicent, and Ninetales was already down so I had little to deal with it at that point, but I did see its moveset for a split second and saw it couldn't recover, so I sacked Jellicent to wear it down. I'm also honestly not sure if it came down to luck in the end, as I figured Scarfmence and +1DDmence would speed tie, since I knew this early I was forced to take a gamble. If they did tie I got lucky, and more speed would have ensured it.

As for Ditto's usefulness I admit Venusaur is a choice I'm quite interested in. I am planning to make this team in real time once I get it straightened out and Venusaur is a Pokemon I like a lot but would be very difficult to get legitimately. Unless GameFreak grows a competitive mind and releases it stateside, or in female form. I'll test it out though. Maybe I can use Victreebel or something if it comes to that.

I've used a Magma Trapper Heatran before on another team, and had some difficulties with it, but I'll fine tune it some and try it out as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)