Rotom-W (New Analysis)

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[Opinion]
<p>The presence of the Rotom appliances themselves give the metagame a new niche Pokemon to consider in their teams. Rotom-W is capable of shutting down Fire-types easily and also boasts the ability to use Rain Dance to its max potential.
Um, I'm pretty sure this bolded part is not true. I would be more than happy to have you switch Rotom into my Heatran to try and shut me down, lol. Having a Super Effective move doesn't mean that you shut down a type, that would be like saying Snorlax shuts down Tyranitar because it learns Earthquake.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hm, how to re-word that though? I understand what you're getting at though perhaps I should re-write it as: "Having Hydro Pump in its movepool makes it more difficult for Fire-types to easily prevent Rotom-W from doing its job" or something like that?

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well the only Fire-type that would ever come into Rotom is Heatran, due to the notoriously low defenses they have. Thunderbolt and Shadow Ball arent unresisted by any other Fire-type, and no other fire type in OU has the defenses to switch into these moves. The 91/106/106 defenses of Heatran mean that it can afford to come into a Thunderbolt or two and scare you off.

You should just keep it as something like "hydro pump scares away one of rotoms best counters, Heatran, which makes this form unique and more effective" or something

Oh, this reminds me of the spread I was using on my Rotom-W (I can't believe I forgot to mention it):

Calm 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD

This optimizes your defenses assuming that you are running Will-O-Wisp. (Gotta love X-Act's applet! :D)

A full-health Rotom with this spread can take one Timid 252 LO Gengar's Shadow Ball (81-95%) and 2HKO back with Discharge if the paralysis kicks in (44-52%). It will also usually survive an Adamant 244 CB Metagross's Pursuit if switching out (86-102%).
*I'm pretty sure there are more relevant calculations out there, but I didn't try too hard to find them.*

I'm working on a mass damage calculator for my Resource so I can come up with a better spread, but I just went with something generic when I first put it on my team. It could probably use a little more Defense, to be honest.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
^_^ Alright guys, this is what I want!

Yeah CoH I like this EV spread for anything with Will-O-Wisp mentioned somewhere. RestTalker could use this spread though the Double Status I'm unsure of so I'll consider it for now (and seriously I am). I'm opting to listen to other EV spreads that are possible with Rotom.

Sounds good j7r. I'll re-phrase that then.

<p>Rotom-W also has the presence of its abundance of resistances. Being immune to Ghost, Normal, and Fighting and resisting Steel, Electric, Flying, Poison, and Bug give it the qualities that Spiritomb and Dusknoir lack.
You mean Ground, right :P

I brought this up with you earlier I even had a little chat with Caelum (I tried to milk him for a better spread to no success ;_;). Anyways the spread was originally designed for Rotom-S who despite everything really suffers from Air Slash (while bulky it lacks the resists or the hp to effectively take on Infernape without being 2hkoed which is bad). Then it moved to Rotom-H and acquired Light Screen > Air Slash.

1st spread:
Bold: 252 HP/100 Def/56 Spe/100 SDef

Sadly I made a mistake before as I thought after SR damage a full health Rotom will be left with 269 HP (266 actually) so the main "claim to fame" of this set was slightly dampened. 275 SDef means there is about a 6% or so chance of being OHKOed by a Timid Gengar Shadow Ball and a Modest SpecsLuke Shadow Ball / Dark Pulse. 56 Spe reaches 222 to outspeed max speed Adamant Tar (just in case so you can set up Reflect). I'm not pushing it up any higher as Scizor barely ever runs max Speed.

2nd spread:
Bold: 252 HP/116 Def/140 SDef

This was the product after days of messing around with the above spread. I decided to forego reaching 222 speed as most Tyranitars don't run max speed anyways (besides Jolly DD variants which will outspeed you irregardless). 278 is the actual "magic" number to aim for when it comes to EVing Rotom so it can take a Shadow Ball from both Timid Gar and SpecsLuke. This here reaches 285 SDef (you can relocate some EVs to Defense if you want, or even speed to outpace fellow no speed Rotom). I basically pushed up to 285 to lessen the chance of being 2HKOed by Neutral Azelf's Psychic (with SR down).

These are the most effective sets I've came upon after testing, but I'm sure there might be more efficient spreads so feel free to bring them to my attention.

Thanks have a nice day ^^.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Alright. This is going to be revamped again (sorry guys), but I'm going to weigh in my ideas:

- The Rain Dance set doesn't seem to be a very high priority, though I've seen Rain Dance teams go down slightly. But I don't think ditching the set is a good idea, so I'll keep it in the analysis for now. And seriously, this thing is no joke to handle.

- Other than Leftovers, Choice Scarf seems to be a popular item option. Perhaps this will be listed first for now.

- Odd how people use Thunder Wave still. 8/... But I feel it was simply Other Option material with Discharge overriding its capability.

- Common moveset: Thunderbolt / Hydro Pump / Shadow Ball / Trick. Figures.

Here is October's Standards and such for Rotom-W. I apologize for the inconvenience. If you'd like a reason why, it is to improve my horrible explaination of things. But don't worry: I am going to take time with this article and post it altogether. For now, the OP can be kept as a skeleton until I am finished.

Code:
| Rotom-w    | Usage        | 14246            |         |
| Rotom-w    | Ability      | Levitate         |   100.0 |
| Rotom-w    | Item         | Leftovers        |    54.7 |
| Rotom-w    | Item         | Choice Scarf     |    34.0 |
| Rotom-w    | Item         | Other (4)        | <   3.8 |
| Rotom-w    | Nature       | Modest           |    35.7 |
| Rotom-w    | Nature       | Bold             |    29.4 |
| Rotom-w    | Nature       | Timid            |    18.5 |
| Rotom-w    | Nature       | Calm             |    13.6 |
| Rotom-w    | HP EV        | Max              |    54.3 |
| Rotom-w    | HP EV        | None             |    20.4 |
| Rotom-w    | HP EV        | Medium (100-150) |    12.8 |
| Rotom-w    | HP EV        | Other (3)        | <   8.8 |
| Rotom-w    | Attack EV    | None             |    99.5 |
| Rotom-w    | Defense EV   | None             |    57.7 |
| Rotom-w    | Defense EV   | Medium (100-150) |    10.0 |
| Rotom-w    | Defense EV   | Other (5)        | <   9.9 |
| Rotom-w    | SpAttack EV  | None             |    33.7 |
| Rotom-w    | SpAttack EV  | Max              |    25.2 |
| Rotom-w    | SpAttack EV  | High (150-200)   |    13.7 |
| Rotom-w    | SpAttack EV  | Other (4)        | <   7.6 |
| Rotom-w    | SpDefense EV | None             |    65.8 |
| Rotom-w    | SpDefense EV | Medium (100-150) |    10.3 |
| Rotom-w    | SpDefense EV | Other (5)        | <   6.6 |
| Rotom-w    | Speed EV     | None             |    45.7 |
| Rotom-w    | Speed EV     | Very High (200+) |    23.0 |
| Rotom-w    | Speed EV     | Max              |    18.5 |
| Rotom-w    | Speed EV     | Other (4)        | <   6.1 |
| Rotom-w    | Move         | Thunderbolt      |    70.8 |
| Rotom-w    | Move         | Shadow Ball      |    69.1 |
| Rotom-w    | Move         | Hydro Pump       |    68.2 |
| Rotom-w    | Move         | Trick            |    36.9 |
| Rotom-w    | Move         | Will-o-wisp      |    31.0 |
| Rotom-w    | Move         | Rest             |    25.7 |
| Rotom-w    | Move         | Sleep Talk       |    19.4 |
| Rotom-w    | Move         | Discharge        |    13.5 |
| Rotom-w    | Move         | Light Screen     |    10.5 |
| Rotom-w    | Move         | Charge Beam      |     7.3 |
| Rotom-w    | Move         | Thunder Wave     |     7.1 |
| Rotom-w    | Move         | Substitute       |     6.4 |
| Rotom-w    | Move         | Other (9)        | <   6.4 |

And on top of that Rotom-W's well-distributed stats in not only his Defenses but his Speed and Special Attack give him indefinite possibilities of movesets to consider.
I really don't think indefinite is the right word to use here. 'Infinite' is closer on the mark, though for accuracy's sake I think that you can just use something like 'many' or 'several', is it isn't really a literal infinite or even anything close. No matter what you choose though, indefinite doesn't work. If you go by the definition of indefinite meaning "without limit", then it isn't the possibilities that are indefinite, it is the number of possibilities that are indefinite. I'm assuming that's the definition you mean, because anything vague or uncertain doesn't really fit here.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Don't worry. As I've said, I'm re-writing this anyway. For now, I'm not doing any more grammar corrections on this. It's a skeleton for me to copy off of or for you guys if you still are looking for what to use...

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
4 sets down with 1 (possibly 2) more to write up. Then its the other options, Opinion, and Counters.

See, I'm not -that- bad... am I?

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Done. Sorry about the wait, but it is completely finished. I probably screwed something up knowing me though. Needs a good grammar check maybe. >_>; I removed the Rest / Sleep Talk / Charge Beam / Hydro Pump set for now but it could always be added back in if people can convince me... It is in Other Options though.

Skeleton (New)

[SET]
name: Offensive Choice
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Shadow Ball
move 3: Hydro Pump
move 4: Trick / Hidden Power Ice
item: Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
nature: Timid / Modest
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Rotom-W has one advantage over its other formes: Hydro Pump. With Hydro Pump, Rotom-W can make an excellent revenge killer (take out "with Choice Scarf"?) against threats such as Infernape and Heatran. Both Thunderbolt and Shadow Ball are Rotom-W’s best STAB moves and will eliminate Gyarados and Gengar, respectively. Trick offers Rotom-W the ability to cripple a Pokemon instead of adding coverage. Hidden Power Ice, on the other hand, is another option to damage Shaymin-S, Zapdos, and Salamence. Timid is the recommended nature for Choice Scarf to outpace Timid Heatran as well as Gengar, provided that said Gengar lacks Choice Scarf.</p>

<p>Choice Specs is an excellent item if you prefer to use Rotom-W as a sweeper than a revenge killer. Modest is recommended to give Rotom-W the necessary boost in Special Attack. If Adamant Lucario is of concern, Timid is a fine option.</p>

[SET]
name: Sleep Talk, Defense
move 1: Rest
move 2: Sleep Talk
move 3: Discharge / Shadow Ball
move 4: Hydro Pump / Hidden Power Ice / Will-O-Wisp / Hidden Power Fighting
item: Leftovers
nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>The lack of recovery is a problem for Rotom-W, however, Rest and Sleep Talk compensate for this. When choosing the corresponding move, Rotom-W must be aware of what it should do. Discharge and Hydro Pump give Rotom-W the difference between its other formes. It can handle Heatran that dare switch into Rotom-W thanks to the 66% chance of either selecting the super effective Hydro Pump or the (missing word here). If Discharge paralyzes Heatran, it can be defeated next turn by Hydro Pump. Discharge and Will-O-Wisp allow Rotom-W to use pseudo Double Status while sleeping. Hidden Power Ice and Discharge damage Ground-types as well as Grass-types that attempt to switch into Rotom-W (A better sentence might be something like: Hidden Power Ice and Discharge offer impeccable coverage, being able to nail common Ground and Grass-type switch-ins.). Shadow Ball and Hidden Power Fighting give Rotom-W unparalleled coverage against all threats. (hmm just read this sentence. Consider just rewording the one about HP Ice)</p>

<p>The EVs here are recommended for balance of both defenses. If preffered, Rotom-W can invest into more Defense or Special Defense for certain threats. With more Defense, Rotom-W can intercept Metagross easier while more Special Defense gives Rotom-W the ability to counter Zapdos easier than most of the time.</p>

[SET]
name: Double Status
move 1: Discharge
move 2: Will-O-Wisp
move 4: Shadow Ball / Hidden Power Ice / Light Screen
nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Tyranitar is a fearsome threat to the Rotom appliances thanks to Pursuit and its vast physical movepool. With Will-O-Wisp and Hydro Pump, Rotom-W can defeat Choice Band Tyranitar one-on-one as well as many other physical threats. Discharge and Will-O-Wisp allow Rotom-W to cripple its opponents with either paralysis or a burn. After the opponent is either paralyzed or burned Rotom-W has many options. It can continue attacking, hoping to draw in another Pokemon to cripple again, or it could also escape safely and allow its teammates to handle the crippled Pokemon.</p>

<p>The fourth move is preference to what Rotom-W is doing after (pet peeve: After WHAT?). Shadow Ball gives Rotom-W a chance to fight against Celebi and Swampert thanks to the chances of their Special Defense being dropped one stage. Hidden Power Ice gives Rotom-W more power against Zapdos while still hurting Celebi in the process. Light Screen offers Rotom-W a boost in its Special Defense, thus being able to take more hits on both sides of the spectrum. The Speed EVs outpace Adamant Tyranitar.</p>
Sorry, I had to leave and this is as far as I got.

Skeleton (New)

[SET]
name: Offensive Choice
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Shadow Ball
move 4: Trick / Hidden Power Ice
item: Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
nature: Timid / Modest
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Rotom-W has one advantage over its other formes: Hydro Pump. With Hydro Pump, Rotom-W can make an excellent revenge killer with Choice Scarf (Choice Scarf isn't needed) against threats such as Infernape and Heatran. Both Thunderbolt and Shadow Ball are Rotom-W’s best STAB moves and will eliminate Gyarados and Gengar respectively. Trick offers Rotom-W the ability to cripple a Pokemon instead of adding coverage. Hidden Power Ice, on the other hand, is another option to damage Shaymin-S, Zapdos, and Salamence. Timid is the recommended nature for Choice Scarf to outpace Timid Heatran as well as Gengar, provided that said Gengar lacks Choice Scarf.</p>

<p>Choice Specs is an excellent item if you prefer to use Rotom-W as a sweeper than a revenge killer. Modest is recommended to give Rotom-W the necessary boost in Special Attack. If Adamant Lucario is of concern, Timid is a fine option.</p>

[SET]
name: Sleep Talk, Defense
move 1: Rest
move 2: Sleep Talk
move 4: Hydro Pump / Hidden Power Ice / Will-O-Wisp / Hidden Power Fighting
nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>The lack of recovery is a problem for Rotom-W; however, Rest and Sleep Talk compensate for this. When choosing the corresponding move, Rotom-W must be aware of what it should do. Discharge and Hydro Pump give Rotom-W the difference between its other formes. It can handle Heatran that dare switch into Rotom-W thanks to the 66% chance of either selecting the super effective Hydro Pump or the (missing word, I assume it's Discharge?) . If Discharge paralyzes Heatran, it can be defeated next turn by Hydro Pump. Discharge and Will-O-Wisp allow Rotom-W to use pseudo Double Status while sleeping. Hidden Power Ice and Discharge damage Ground-types as well as Grass-types that attempt to switch into Rotom-W . Shadow Ball and Hidden Power Fighting give Rotom-W unparalleled coverage against all threats (Though it's not necessary, I think you could go with a rewrite similar to diinbong's, while also combining the last two sentences: Hidden Power Ice and Discharge offer near-ideal coverage, being able to nail common Ground- and Grass-type switch-ins, while Shadow Ball and Hidden Power Fighting go the full distance, offering unparalleled perfect coverage.).</p>

<p>The EVs here are recommended for balance of both defenses. If wanted, Rotom-W can invest into more Defense or Special Defense for certain threats. With more Defense, Rotom-W can intercept Metagross easier while more Special Defense gives Rotom-W the ability to counter Zapdos easier than most of the time.</p>

[SET]
name: Double Status
move 1: Discharge
move 2: Will-O-Wisp
move 4: Shadow Ball / Hidden Power Ice / Light Screen
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Tyranitar is a fearsome threat to the Rotom appliances thanks to Pursuit and its vast physical movepool. With Will-O-Wisp and Hydro Pump, Rotom-W can defeat Choice Band Tyranitar one-on-one as well as many other physical threats (I'd rephrase to: ". . .defeat Choice Band Tyranitar, as well as many other physical threats, one-on-one." It flows better). Discharge and Will-O-Wisp offer Rotom-W to cripple its opponents with either paralysis or a burn. After the opponent is either paralyzed or burned Rotom-W has many options. It can continue attacking, hoping to draw in another Pokemon to cripple again (omit "again") . Rotom-W could also escape safely and allow its teammates to handle the crippled Pokemon. (I'd say combine the last two sentences: "It can continue attacking, hoping to draw in another Pokemon to cripple, or it could also escape, leaving its teammates to handle the crippled Pokemon".)</p>

<p>The fourth move is preference to what Rotom-W is doing after (Personally, I don't like the way this sentence sounds . . . try: The fourth move is determined based on what Rotom-W does post-status infliction). Shadow Ball offers Rotom-W a chance to fight against Celebi and Swampert thanks to the chances of their Special Defense being dropped one stage. Hidden Power Ice gives Rotom-W more power against Zapdos while still hurting Celebi in the process. Light Screen offers Rotom-W a boost in its Special Defense, thus being able to take more hits on both sides of the spectrum. The Speed EVs outpace Adamant Tyranitar.</p>

[SET]
name: Washing in the Rain
move 1: Rain Dance
move 2: Thunder
move 4: Shadow Ball / Hidden Power Ice
item: Life Orb / Damp Rock / Leftovers
nature: Modest / Timid
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With Hydro Pump exclusive to Rotom-W and STAB Thunder tearing apart many Pokemon, Rain Dance looks very appealing. After setting up the rain, Rotom-W can fire off pseudo-STAB Hydro Pumps at Ground-types or use STAB Thunder for perfect accuracy and a 30% chance of paralysis (change to: 30% paralysis chance. Prepositions are a waste of time.) to aggravate the opponent. Bulky Waters, barring Swampert, don’t have much to accomplish against Rotom-W thanks to STAB Thunder scaring most of them off (I'd omit the last clause and simply say "Bulky Waters, barring Swampert, don't have much to accomplish with the threat of a super-effective Thunder.). While Shadow Ball is the best option for slot four, Hidden Power Ice hits Grass-types such as Roserade and Breloom harder than Shadow Ball (omit "than Shadow Ball"). If Celebi is the main concern to this set, Shadow Ball can easily 2HKO it. Shadow Ball is preferred over Hidden Power Ice because Cresselia and other Rotom appliances won’t enjoy constant Shadow Ball attacks.</p>

<p>This set can be played either offensively or defensively. Offensively Rotom-W should use either Life Orb or Damp Rock as the item of choice (You're preference here, but "of choose" isn't necessary. It's fine with it, if you prefer, though.). Life Orb gives Rotom-W the extra boost to damage Zapdos and Swampert. Damp Rock lengthens the number of turns in the rain, thus giving Rotom-W and its teammates more time to abuse the weather. Defensive strategies can also use Damp Rock; however, Leftovers is a good choice to keep Rotom-W alive longer. If Rotom-W needs to be bulkier than what is suggested, use either the RestTalk or the Double Status spreads with a Calm or Bold nature.</p>

[SET]
name: Double Screen
move 1: Reflect
move 2: Light Screen
move 4: Hydro Pump / Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Fighting
item: Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 56 Spe / 100 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Double Screen is an excellent strategy if Rotom-W’s teammates require protection while they set up. Discharge allows Rotom-W to aid its team with paralysis while Hydro Pump to help (omit "to help") combats Infernape and Heatran provided that Light Screen is activated. Shadow Ball and Hidden Power Fighting give Rotom-W perfect coverage with the bonus of hurting Celebi and Swampert harder than any of its other moves.</p>

<p>The Speed EVs outspeed Adamant Tyranitar while the defenses are balanced to take advantage of both Reflect and Light Screen.</p>

[SET]
name: Boosting Sweeper
move 1: Charge Beam
move 2: Substitute
move 3: Shadow Ball
move 4: Hidden Power Fighting / Thunderbolt
nature: Timid
EVs: 64 HP / 232 SpA / 212 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Although one of the lesser used options, Charge Beam allows Rotom-W to attack while having a large chance to boost its already high Special Attack. When combined with Substitute, Rotom-W is even more capable of setting up on Blissey, a Pokemon that would normally wall a special attacking Rotom-W set. Seismic Toss has no effect on Rotom-W and Flamethrower / Ice Beam do not break Rotom-W's Substitutes due to the slight HP investment. Substitute also allows Rotom to block any Thunder Wave or Toxic that Blissey might launch at it. Shadow Ball is Rotom-W's main form of attack once it has received boosts from Charge Beam, capable of 3HKOing even 252 HP / 96 SpD Sassy Bronzong after a single boost. Hidden Power Fighting allows Rotom-W to take on incoming Tyranitar hoping to munch down on the wily ghost. After six boosts, Rotom-W is capable of 2HKOing even 0 HP / 176 SpD Calm Blissey (the bulkiest Blissey that Rotom will likely encounter) with either Hidden Power Fighting or Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is also Rotom-W's best form of attack against Scizor.</p>

<p>As previously mentioned, 64 HP EVs allow Rotom-W's Substitutes to withstand any attack that Blissey is likely to use, as well as allowing Rotom-W to form three Substitutes in sand and five in normal weather. A Timid Nature and 212 EVs allows Rotom-W to outspeed neutral-natured Mamoswine and Lucario, as well as receive a bonus point.. Using 212 Speed EVs also allows Rotom-W to reach a bonus point (Combine these two sentences as shown.). 236 Special Attack EVs allow Rotom-W to almost always 2HKO even 0 HP / 176 SpD Calm Blissey with Hidden Power Fighting or Thunderbolt after six boosts. Rotom-W also has a 38% chance of 2HKOing 252 HP / 252 SpD Careful Tyranitar in Sandstorm after a single boost with Hidden Power Fighting, a definite 2HKO if Tyranitar switches into Stealth Rock.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Hidden Power Grass works in tandem with Thunderbolt and Discharge with the benefit of eliminating (I'd change "with the benefit of eliminating" to "to eliminate" Swampert. Charge Beam and Hydro Pump work on the RestTalk set if Rotom-W desires more power while maintaining its bulky physique. Confuse Ray pairs well with Discharge, though that strategy is best left to Rotom-F thanks to Air Slash being exclusive to it (change to: . . ."best left to Rotom-F thanks to its exclusive Air Slash") Thunder Wave and Toxic are Rotom-W’s other status moves available. Thunder Wave guarantees paralysis while Toxic cripples bulky Pokemon such as Zapdos and Hippowdon. Ominous Wind and Charge are Rotom-W’s other options to bolster its stats. Spite and Protect allow Rotom-W to PP stall; however, it is best left to Dusknoir and Spiritomb thanks to Pressure.</p>

[EVs]
<p>There are many ways to actually go about with the EVs so great detail is needed. The offensive spread should focus on maxing Speed and Special Attack. Any other sets should always focus on maximizing HP with the exception of the Boosting Sweeper which should use 80 HP (These EVs are different than those presented in the set) to prevent Flamethrower and Ice Beam from breaking your Substitute on the first impact. Speed EVs become more important when considering what Rotom-W should outpace. With Choice Scarf and 184 Speed EVs Rotom-W reaches 418 Speed with a Timid nature, just enough to outpace even the fastest Heatran. 88 Speed EVs with a neutral nature outpaces at the very least Adamant Scizor with max Speed (edit to "at the very least max Speed Adamant Scizor"). From there it's figuring out where to throw the remainder EVs into either defenses. After that use the beneficial nature that compliments the used EVs (I'd rephrase these sentences. Try: "From there, the dilemma is how to distribute the remaining EVs among the defenses. Once EVs are placed, pick a nature that compliments the chosen spread"). So for example, you would want to use Bold if you opt to use 168 Defense EVs. 154 Speed EVs obtain 246 Speed, just enough to also outpace said (omit "said") Tyranitar with a Jolly nature. Timid with 212 Speed EVs outpace Adamant Lucario, Mamoswine, and Gyarados.</p>

<p>There are a couple of ways to maximize Rotom's defenses. The first is by using either Calm or Bold and max HP, 180 EVs into the defense without the beneficial nature, and the remaining 76 EVs into the defense with the positive nature. Another alternative is using max HP and 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD and a Calm Nature or 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD with a Bold Nature. 252 HP/116 Def/140 SpD (for consistency's sake) with a Bold nature is another possibility with the Double Screen set. This set adds more of a buffer against neutral Psychic from Azelf possibly avoiding a 2HKO at best as well as what was mentioned with the original EV spread. (I know I'm rather inexperienced with defensive EV spreads, but how much does it help to alter the EV spread from 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD to 252 Hp / 116 Def / 140 SpD? I thought a transposition of 1 point between defenses would only affect defenses minimally.)</p>

[Opinion]
<p>Hydro Pump being exclusive to Rotom-W gives it the capability to retaliate against Ground-types (I'd break this into two sentences: "Hydro Pump is Rotom-W's forte. It gives Rotom-W the ability to retaliate against Ground-types." Then you can just continue on. I only suggest this because it sounds like a better opener.). It also makes Heatran and other Fire-types have second thoughts on whether to switch into Rotom-W. It is unlike many spin blockers due to the fact that it can counter most of them with its vast movepool. Rain Dance is menacing for Rotom-W thanks to Hydro Pump being boosted by the rain. Rotom-W is a Pokemon that should not be underestimated as it is backed up by its numerous resistances, excellent Defenses, modest Special Attack, and its acceptable Speed. The aforementioned Hydro Pump and Rain Dance are the main reasons to use the washing machine Rotom over its other formes.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Blissey is one of Rotom-W’s better counters, if not the best. It is a very dominant special wall that sponges every special attack from Rotom-W and heals off the damage with either Wish or Softboiled. Natural Cure makes Blissey an even better candidate since it can remove status upon switching out. The only set that Blissey should fear is the Substitute / Charge Beam Rotom-W. Trick + Choice item is, however, a nuisance to Blissey, so caution is advised when switching into Rotom-W. Tyranitar doesn’t enjoy Hydro Pump, Hidden Power Fighting, or Will-O-Wisp, but can easily step into Thunderbolt and Shadow Ball while scaring off Rotom-W with STAB Dark moves. Pokemon with Rest and Sleep Talk are the best counters to most of Rotom-W’s strategies. Spiritomb is the best candidate with the Rest and Sleep Talk strategy. (Try rewording these sentences to this: "Pokemon with Rest and Sleep Talk, especially Spiritomb, are the best counters to most of Rotom-W's strategies.) Spiritomb takes neutral damage from every one of Rotom-W’s attacks and sports STAB Shadow Ball or Dark Pulse to eliminate it. Swampert with Curse and Waterfall sets up on Rotom-W that lack Shadow Ball and Hidden Power Grass. With Substitute and Calm Mind, Jirachi and Raikou can set up against Rotom-W. Heatran, despite being frightened of switching into Hydro Pump, can absorb Will-O-Wisp and return the favor with STAB Fire Blast.</p>
I took the liberty of finishing what diinbong started.

The only actual set comments I have are the usefulness of the unconventional Boosting Sweeper set. I know it's on every Rotom, but waiting for 6 boosts, (which will take minimum 6 turns, likely more) seems farfetched, especially since Blissey can switch out to a hazer, like Skarmory with Whirlwind or Zapdos with Roar. It just seems that, since you described it of being able to set up best against Blissey, the idea is borderline novelty, since so many Pokemon can switch in and break the Substitute. Only threatening a 3HKO on Bronzong after a boost makes it seem ever more novelty, since there are several popular Pokemon capable of doing it in one of two moves.

The corrections are in red, comments, which suggest certain corrections, are in blue.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
First off I'll add it all in. Second Choice Scarf is needed in the first set: Choice Scarf is usually for Revenge Killing while Choice Specs is a more sweeper oriented item.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)