RU Suspect Vote 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
it is now october 24th, i thought the thread was supposed to be closed by now, i guess i will voice my opinion.

Imo sableye is pretty broken, despite its poor bulk with the standard ev spread it takes hits surprisingly well, just enough to live through some attacks, it requires you to almost overprepare for it to beat it. it must be my playstyle but it sort of forces you to run something that isnt vulnerable to taunt or W-o-W and can 2hko it on the switch in.

About zam, i dont really think it is broken, it may be fast and have a lot of options, but the other suspect ironically checks it. it is not 2hko'ed by shadow ball and can switch in easily, so if sableye ends up staying so is zam imo.

However, if you have only been playing the tier since Spooky Manor was released that is still shy of a full month in a tier that has existed for four months. Does that mean you don't get it: no. It means, that you weren't here to design your team around Yanmega or Venomoth and that you don't see why so many people feel that certain roles like that of Munchlax and Primeape are absolutely necessary for any RU team.
Unrelated to what I said

Your original post:

As far as Sableye goes, it isn't broken. It's definitely annoying but I personally think people who support banning it moreso disapprove of what Sableye represents: a shift in the metagame trend for RU team building. Do you think anyone will freak out if Gastrodon drops out of OU because Thundurus (it's reason for being there) is gone? If the reason for using Scarf-Primeape is gone why should that matter to us? "Oh no! Now I can't use the exact same team I used last round and win as often as I did then!".
My point was that you are wrong as my opinion has not been "clouded"(assuming this is even true for people who played RU before) by a metagame shift, yet I still feel Sableye is broken.

Sableye has 50/75/65 defenses. Making it the next best thing to Registeel. Oh, wait, Pidgeot has 83/75/70 defenses, Featherdance AND Roost? We should ban pidgeot for being gamebreaking defensively. [note: sarcasm]
[note: the metagame, movepools, typing and abilities are a significant part of competitive pokemon]

Here is a list of physical attackers (with calculations provided) that can 2HKO sableye in spite of a burn that you are likely to come across: Aggron, Electivire, Honchkrow, Sharpedo, Krookodile, Crawdaunt, Durant and Kabutops. Note, if you want to see the calcs, they already exist within the RU category. I made none of these up and found them all in less than two minutes of looking.
Most of those are false. Evire needs at least one layer of hazards to 2HKO 252/0 Neutral Sableye through burn, Kabutops needs 2, Sharpedo needs 2 with max damage outputs and keep in mind that this is all with LO(and positive natures on the attackers), meaning they're each taking 22.5% damage per turn(Evire takes recoil too) as well as being crippled of severely hindered for the rest of the match. The only Krook set that is popular is Scarf, which with positive nature also needs at least two layers of hazards with max damage outputs in order to kill. Choiced EQ is also easy as hell to wall, so yeah... Durant has a chance of 2HKOing with LO without hazards. However, if any of the above come in on WoW, they will always lose bar a crit due to Recover stall. Crawdaunt faces a similar fate to Durant.

I also would like you to take a note: There are currently 4 useable Pokemon with Flash Fire and 9 with Guts available in this tier (Flareon being the only one with access to both). Additionally, there are 7 pokemon with Water Veil and 1 with Magic Bounce (yeah, Natu sees playtime). That gives you 20 pokemon who are able to safely switch in against Sableye and not worry about the priority will-o-wisp. Not counting Fire Types. (And if you really wanted to you could try for some of those Leaf Guard users too)
Fire Types: Choice Band Entei, boostless Rapidash, special Flareon and physical boostless Heatmore all risk a 2HKO from Foul Play without hazards, and are always KOd with a layer of spikes(SR makes it even easier)meaning that it cannot come in safely.
Guts: Flareon's been covered, Hariyama beats Sable, Throh as a guts user is Hariyama 0.5, Luxray is not particularly viable , Ursaring loses to physically bulky Sable and isn't exactly amazing in this metagame, BU gurdurr is owned by Sable and any other set is outclassed by Hariyama.
Natu is just bad. If SR is up(Natu is not the end-all counter to SR as most pokes that can set it up beat Natu) and Natu comes into Payback(despite it being 50 BP) it is 2HKOd.

There are (roughly) 25 pokemon you can viably use with access to Heal Bell. There are 8 pokemon with access to Aromatherapy. 1 is cherrim though so let's say there are 7. None of them overlap, giving you more that 30 Clerics.
If you keep the viable pokemon that can function as clerics, you have Uxie, Vileplume, Altaria, Clefable, Miltank, Lickylicky, Audino, Gardevoir, Meganium, Leafeon, Glaceon. If we remove the ones that have better things to do we have Vileplume, Altaira, Clefable, Miltank, Leafeon, Meganium, Audino, Lickilicky. So 8 pokemon which can heal status with a move that Sableye on it's own can block with Taunt, with no guarantee that there will ever be a chance to use it after Sableye goes to town spreading around status.

Lum berry exists. Rawst berry exists. Rest+Sleep Talk exists.
So one safe switch in and effective lack of an item if you are not statused during the match from that point onward. If nothing tries to status you all match you essentialy lost out on an item which could have aided you greatly. Stuff like Lum Berry Honchkrow just for Sableye is not exacly indicative of a healthy influence on the metagame. Restalk in and of itself is walled by Sableye.

The only reason people claim it is broken is because of the priority will-o-wisp.
A move with 75% accuracy.
Coupled with lack of weakness and priority Recovery. The only reason Alakazam isn't hard-countered by a variety of defensive pokes is Focus Blast, a move with 70% accuracy, yet you claimed it to be "too much for RU" in your last post. How does WoW differ?

Not to mention the biggest factor to be unmentioned Special Attackers.
Sableye has a SDef cap of 251. That is okay but certainly less than impressive and won't be standing up to very much on the special side.
Sableye's role is not to be a team's main physical wall or special wall and that is not the role it tries to fill. It can take 2 Modest Rotom-C Tbolts, 2 Modest Rotom-C leaf Storms, and that's really all it needs to take. It ensures it can stall out many special threats that come in on it when it uses WoW. There's also the fact that Sableye will have a team behind it, which is always something that you must take into consideration when discussing a defensive suspect.

Something I would like to add is that Sableye has Trick. With this, it can throw around annoying stuff like Sticky Barb, Lagging Tail, Iron Ball, and shuffle around Eviolite and Choice Items. So if you switch in your Special Attacker, be prepared to risk getting crippled for the rest of the game. What's more, it can Trick at will with Prankster, not having to suffer from Iron Ball/Lagging Tail drawbacks.

And as Vuvu said, many Physical fire mons will risk Foul Play 2HKOing them.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Sorry that this took so long. I've been busy over the past few days, as has a good portion of the rest of the council. We never got around to meeting all at once for a discussion as was planned, so I collected paragraphs from the voters as a replacement. The council system was an experiment, and it will be changed up. We'll be opening up the pool of users to pick from for the next vote... and nothing is set in stone at this point. Onto the votes.

Oglemi

Ban Alakazam
Ban Sableye
<~Oglemi> Ban Alakazam: The ability to sweep with Alakazam is far too easy; I've come back from 1-5 games with Alakazam and won it's that ridiculous. There are zero hard counters to it, and almost everything in RU is 2HKOed by at least one of its moves. It is rather easy to revenge kill with Pokemon such as Skuntank / Drapion / Honchkrow / Krookodile, but if Alakazam is behind a Sub then none of those Pokemon can safely come in due to the fear of Focus Blast or HP Ground. Alakazam is basically guaranteed 1-2 KOes per match, and is thus far too much for the metagame. It's basically Yanmega V 2.0 that dgaf about entry hazards.
<~Oglemi> Ban Sableye: While it is possible to work around the standard Sableye set and it has its counters (Fire-types and strong special attackers), the effect it has on the metagame is too negative. Having used Sableye extensively, I know just how easy it is to fuck over teams once their Fire-type/special attacker is gone (use: Dugtrio/Wynaut). The fact that people are running random Lum Berries just to deal with Sableye should be a big clue as to just how stupid it is in the metagame. Sableye can even beat its supposed counters with a simple CM set (it avoids the 2HKO from Ice Beam from PZ at +1 iirc). It can also royally screw over its supposed Fire-type counters (Entei) with Foul Play which 2HKOes after Stealth Rock. In short, it's overtly unhealthy for the metagame and I'd rather see RU without it than with it.

PKGaming

Ban Alakazam
Ban Sableye
Alakazam:
Hands down the best Pokemon in the tier, Alakazam can run through entire teams with its really strong STAB and coverage moves. Its blistering speed means it can run through entire teams unless you run multiple Pokemon with base 120+ speed or several choice scarf users, and to top it all off Magic Guard makes it immune to entry hazard damage and life orb recoil, making it impossible to wear down. In short, Alakazam has no reliable checks and counters in RU. Its almost impossible to switch into Alakazam and beat it 1 on 1. The only counters so to speak are specially defensive Spiritomb. Thats it, nothing else reliably can check Alakazam, as they got destroyed by its powerful coverage moves. Its like in the upper tiers where there several checks to alakazam that exist (like Jirachi and Scizor in OU) or (scarf krookodile, snorlax) Alakazam is too strong in RU and should be banned immediately.
Sableye
Too strong for the current metagame. Scoopapa's post sums it up Sableye and its position in the metagame perfectly. Sableye beats way too much of the metagame 1 on 1 (seriously) and requires teams to make ridiculous adjustments. (Certain users have suggested running Lum berry on physical sweepers, really on every single one of them?) You're pretty much required to run a Fire type or a strong special attacker or Sableye will run circles through your team. The worst part is that Sableye users anticipate this and run several hard counters to fire types making them a liability. Sableye is not healthy for the metagame and it should be banned.[/B]

Zeph

Abstain Alakazam
Do not ban Sableye

doomvendingmachine

Ban Alakazam
Do not ban Sableye
Alakazam
Alakazam is too powerful for RU. Already one of the best pokemon in the tier before getting magic guard, the new ability has pushed it way over the edge. A completely free life orb on a pokemon as fast and powerful as it is ridiculous, and even with it's frailty it is very hard to kill due to the fact that it takes no residual damage at all. It can even go pseudo reuniclus and break stall with a CM recover set. Overall, just too powerful.
Sableye
I debated back and forth on this pokemon for a long time, but at the end of the day it just falls short of reaching the ban requirements for me. No doubt a very good pokemon, it just isn't quite at the level for me to ban it. Priority will-o-wisp is rather annoying, but physical attackers DO have various ways around it, be it through a fire type on your team, an old fashioned status absorber, a guts pokemon, or even just sticking sub or lum berry on your phyiscal sweeper (though sub does require proper prediction as it need to be up as sableye comes in). it's base stats are weak, and although a lot of that is compensated by prankster, I just don't think it's at the moment QUITE powerful enough to ban. I've went back and forth on this pokemon in particular for a while, but in the end I think this is the right decision.

Nails

Ban Alakazam
Ban Sableye
Alakazam is an overpowering threat. It is among the fastest pokemon in the metagame, and is one of the hardest hitters. However many pokemon who share these traits are very frail, and Zam shares that weakness as well. The difference between him and every other fast and powerful sweeper is magic guard. Stall teams can no longer sit back and let their toxic spikes wear him down while switching around so it takes life orb recoil. Offensive teams who pull off a careful switch to their honchkrow on a psychic don't even get anything for their troubles, where it would usually be worn down by SR. The ability to block all residual damage is too good, and when already on a pokemon who was already one of the better pokemon in the tier, it's overpowered.
Sableye I was split on, but I decided to vote to ban it despite the fact that there are some viable checks in the metagame. It isn't as blatantly broken as Alakazam, but it's to the point in my opinion where it deserves a ban. I can certainly understand both sides, but I don't think it's good for the metagame to have it around. It doesn't have any 100% counters outside of natu, and while that doesn't make it broken by itself, it can play around checks far too easily for my liking. It requires team support, but not incredible amounts, and that doesn't stop other pokemon from being broken.

Fried_Rhys
Ban Alakazam
Do not Ban Sableye
<@Fried_Rhys> alakazam - ban
<@Fried_Rhys> alakazam is faster than pretty much the entire tier, and able to ohko/2hko most of the tier.
<@Fried_Rhys> to top it all off, it has magic guard to avoid passive damage.
<@Fried_Rhys> a sash set can outright beat offensive teams, while still doing a number to stall teams if it packs recover.
<@Fried_Rhys> it's too powerful and must go.
<@Fried_Rhys> sabeleye - do not ban
<@Fried_Rhys> ignoring the fact that it will probably move up a tier, there are several things preventing sabeleye from being broken in ru.
<@Fried_Rhys> besides being checked by fire types for the most part, strong special attackers, toxic spikes, and low offensive presence really hurt sabeleye.
<@Fried_Rhys> the metagame sabeleye came into wasn't ready for it, and adapting for a threat is better than banning it when possible.

Heysup

Ban Alakazam
Ban Sableye
My thing with Sableye was never that it walled Aggron and co, it was that you can't BEAT it with Aggron and co. It can literally beat any (non Fire) physical attacker without a Lum Berry, and just a reminder if the only reason you're using a Lum Berry is to pass Sableye that's a good indication as any that you're reducing your over all effectiveness greatly to deal with one single problem. Note: it's a one time use. Note to that note: Toxic
Spikes.....
Also can't ignore priority weather.
Alakazam is straight up ridiculous it basically has zero counters and can't be revenged without having something else die.
Alakazam recieved a 6-0 vote with one abstention, so it is banned from RU.
Sableye recieved a 4-3 vote, so it is banned from RU as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)