Sableye

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Under OO I'd like for you to emphasize what these OO entail and what usefulness they have, especially Metal Burst in providing a lure aspect against its conventional wall-breaking checks such as Lando-I.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just thought I'd point this out, but the EVs on the utility set add up to 512. The spread should be 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD Careful/Calm to avoid the 2HKO from Timid BalloonTran's Fire Blast. This all adds up to 508, meaning that it doesn't break the game's mechanics and it doesn't have that haxy 2% non-survival chance.

A tiny nitpick, but on the utility set, shouldn't the EV spread be 252/132/124? Your current numbers add up to 512.
Correct me if Im wrong though.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Snatch in OO for stealing recovery moves from opposing mons like Roost Zapdos while netting damage with status. Fake Out to mega more easily, Sucker Punch to pick off weakened neutral targets of Dark in OO as well. In your c&c the way you word things is weird cause a lot of those SR setters fall under better categories you have such as wall-breakers with Landorus and Earth Plate Lando-T. Separate the checks and counters into Physical Set Up Sweepers and Special Set up sweepers instead of using the term "pokemon not stopped by Will-O-Wisp". It's more appropriate since the term won't be so random.

Just double check everything and make sure everything is up to date with relevant information for example the Utility set needs to strongly emphasize the usage of hazard stacking as the set itself is generally found on these kind of builds primarily. Needs to include things like reliable hazard setters like Klefki for Spikes and viable T-Spike users like Dragalge.

I also think that the CM and Utility sets should be switched around, as its Utility set is actually much more easily implemented on teams and functions as a catch all support mon that doesn't necessitate a Calm Mind to function and be a more reliable team player however I'll leave that up to other QC members who check this and weigh in.

Edit:
Relaying some messages from Jukain. Switch CM and Utility in terms of placement, minimum special defense on utility set should be 144 for Fire Blast Heatran, slash Metal Burst after toxic so remove it from OO, put in set details max special defense high priority.

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks AM, did the above.

Thoughts on maybe slashing Fake Out on the utility set as opposed to just giving it a mention? The ability to consistently MEvo turn 1 is really useful since opponents will usually lead off with something that can threaten Sableye out, which can prevent opposing SRers from getting rocks up early on in the match. You do lose Foul Play, Toxic and Metal Burst but it's not that big a loss since those are pretty situational and Fake Out is consistently useful from my experience, there are few teams against which Sableye won't want to immediately Mega Evolve.

Also decided to add a mention of Protect since it's an alternative to Fake Out which scouts choice mons but gives a free turn to the opponent - not totally outclassed by Fake Out, but Fake Out is usually the better option regardless.

AM

LCPL Champion
I wouldn't slash it, it's really team specific honestly and the only reason Metal Burst warrants a slash is the way the tier has shifted. It wasn't even considered an option until everyone and there mother started using Landorus and Volcarona lol. Set details would be fine for that though I've seen it work well.

I would not call Alomomola a safe check to Zard X, it is very reliant on Toxic to beat it. Replace Alomomola as a teammate with Hippowdon or Slowbro (referring to Team Options for the Calm Mind Set), who can take out Zard X with STAB Earthquake or Foul Play, respectively. In addition, Slowbro also handles Keldeo, whereas both Slowbro and Hippowdon are capable of checking Dragon Dance Mega Altaria.

kumiko

formerly TDK
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Mention Snarl and Dark Pulse in set details instead of slashing them on the CM set. They have their uses but both are niche and it's typically better to run Shadow Ball.

QC 2/3 after that

I would not call Alomomola a safe check to Zard X, it is very reliant on Toxic to beat it. Replace Alomomola as a teammate with Hippowdon or Slowbro (referring to Team Options for the Calm Mind Set), who can take out Zard X with STAB Earthquake or Foul Play, respectively. In addition, Slowbro also handles Keldeo, whereas both Slowbro and Hippowdon are capable of checking Dragon Dance Mega Altaria.
In addition to this (which you did not implement Albacore), you might also want to mention Zard Y as a teammate for CM Mega Sableye for more balanced teams. Most teams only have only Heatran or Specially Defensive Talonflame as a check to Zard Y, the latter of which can be run over by it with only Stealth Rock support and some prior damage. Both Heatran and SpD Talonflame check Calm Mind Mega Sableye, and having a Pokemon that can lure them in and deal extensive damage to them is something Sableye would appreciate. Mega Sableye is also good at pressuring most opposing hazard setters (especially with the rise of Bulky Garchomp), so keeping Stealth Rock on the field is not that difficult.

Albacore

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In addition to this (which you did not implement Albacore), you might also want to mention Zard Y as a teammate for CM Mega Sableye for more balanced teams. Most teams only have only Heatran or Specially Defensive Talonflame as a check to Zard Y, the latter of which can be run over by it with only Stealth Rock support and some prior damage. Both Heatran and SpD Talonflame check Calm Mind Mega Sableye, and having a Pokemon that can lure them in and deal extensive damage to them is something Sableye would appreciate. Mega Sableye is also good at pressuring most opposing hazard setters (especially with the rise of Bulky Garchomp), so keeping Stealth Rock on the field is not that difficult.
You might want to rethink what you just suggested...

Also, I didn't replace Alomomola for Hippowdon since, unless Outrage or Sub XZard variants are getting popular, its acess to Regenerator actually make it arguably a better XZard answer than Hippowdon since it can afford to take prior damage. I will replace it for Slowbro though since that's a better answer to XZard than both of these.

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
good job,
  • deslash metal burst, as it in most cases does underwhelming damage, and generally isn't worthwile, due to sableye's low hp. sacking your mega to weaken one of the opposing pokemon doesn't seem like the most favorable choice of action. however, keep it montioned in the moves section, as it does indeed have a niche.
  • remove torment from other options. wasting a turn to torment a choiced pokemon, only to be (in most cases) forced to heal on the following turn, giving the opponent a free switch, isn't beneficial. most offensive threats don't really mind having to switch up moves against sableye, apart from like fairy-types, but you're not staying in on those anyways.
  • remove tentacruel from c&c. theoretically, yes, tentacruel beats sableye. however, the real scenario is that sableye doesn't spinblock freely against tentacruel. like you said, tentacruel can't repeatedly switch in, and it isn't killing sableye anytime soon, just forcing it to switch out. i wouldn't say that is worthy of a mention is c&c.
  • mention bulk up talonflame is particular in c&c, as it is capable of beating all versions of sableye (= foul play versions).
3/3

Albacore

I'm not really confortable with de-slashing Metal Burst since I know it's been used effectively by a good number of players to the point of being worthy of a slash imo.

Did the rest though. I'll implement the check when I know for sure whether or not to slash Metal Burst, if a couple of QC members could share their opinion on its slash worthiness that would be great. Tagging AM b/c I know he loves Metal Burst Sableye and has used it a bunch.

AM

LCPL Champion
I'm not really confortable with de-slashing Metal Burst since I know it's been used effectively by a good number of players to the point of being worthy of a slash imo.

Did the rest though. I'll implement the check when I know for sure whether or not to slash Metal Burst, if a couple of QC members could share their opinion on its slash worthiness that would be great. Tagging AM b/c I know he loves Metal Burst Sableye and has used it a bunch.
I actually hate Metal Burst M-Sableye now lol which is why I wanted it deslashed for the reasons ender stated. I prefer Snatch personally but like that's more a personal thing where stuff like Foul Play and even Fake Out I think are pretty useful. Metal Burst I think is cool for what it does but there's a lot of scenarios now where I feel it's huge gamble to be using that either for sort of sacking M-Sableye or these scenarios like Calm Mind Landorus where you're banking on it hitting you and then it sets up a Calm Mind and it's basically game. I'd be fine with a high priority moves mention if you want I just don't think it's appeal is slash worthy anymore.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Albacore

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[OVERVIEW]

Many ORAS megas benefitted immensely from the abilities given to them, but possibly none more so than Sableye. It could barely have hoped for a better ability than Magic Bounce, (RC) which enables it Mega Sableye to act as an excellent stallbreaker, entry hazard bouncer, status absorber, and universal stop to both Taunt users and defensive Pokemon, most of which are powerless against it. This makes it a true staple on stall teams. Furthermore, Sableye has an excellent typing, giving it immunities to Psychic, Fighting, (AC) and Normal as well as a resistance to Poison, only leaving it weak to Fairy. It also has very solid bulk with access to reliable recovery, enabling it to act as a great wall and beat the majority of Stealth Rock setters with a physically defensive spread. Access to Will-O-Wisp lets it disable most physical attackers, and thanks to Prankster, it can act as an emergency check to a powerful physical sweeper if it hasn't Mega Evolved yet. Unfortunately, Sableye has a number of glaring flaws, for one, its Sableye's terrible Speed leaves it very prone to being revenge killed and can leave it overwhelmed by several faster attackers. And while Magic Bounce protects it from direct status moves, it does not prevent secondary effects such as burns from Scald and Lava Plume, or poison from Sludge Bomb, (AC) which can wear it Mega Sableye down tremendously, especially given that its status as a Mega Evolution prevents it from carrying Leftovers. It's also very vulnerable to powerful wallbreakers, (AC) which it can often do little to defend itself against.

[SET]
name: Utility
move 1: Knock Off
move 2: Will-O-Wisp
move 3: Recover
move 4: Foul Play / Toxic
item: Sablenite
ability: Prankster
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Knock Off is mainly used for utility purposes, removing items from Pokemon that like to switch into Mega Sableye such as Clefable, Talonflame, (AC) and Tentacruel. Will-O-Wisp is also great utility and team support, making a lot of physical attackers a non-factor and also chipping away at some switch-ins. Recover acts as reliable recovery, which is needed for Mega Sableye to act as a defensive Pokemon especially given its lack of Leftovers. Foul Play is the preferred move in the last slot since because it stops Talonflame and Mega Charizard X from using Mega Sableye as setup fodder. On the other hand, Toxic cripples Fire-type switch-ins as well as Unaware Clefable lacking Heal Bell. Snatch can be useful to steal recovery moves, enabling Mega Sableye to get its health back all the while wasting yits the opponent's turn. This is especially helpful when the opposing Pokemon is burnt, since as it will be unable to recover until it gets KOed from the residual damage. It Snatch can also steal setup moves from the likes of Togekiss or Manaphy. However, this requires good prediction to achieve. Metal Burst is a rather niche option on Mega Sableye which fits more on balanced teams than full stall teams, it enables Mega Sableye to weaken a lot of checks such as Landorus and Mega Charizard Y, which in turn can help out a teammate. Finally, Fake Out is a decent option which enables Mega Sableye to Mega Evolve more easily on the first turn when faced against Pokemon that can immediately threaten it such as Mega Gardevoir, Mega Lopunny, (AC) and Volcarona while getting off some very small chip damage.

Set Details
========

This spread ehas enough special bulk for Mega Sableye to switch into offensive Heatran variants, (RC) while conserving enough physical bulk to handle most of the physical attackers Mega Sableye is used as an answer to, such as X and Y. Alternatively, a fully physically defensive spread is still an option if Mega Sabelye isn't your answer to offensive Heatran or Gengar and would rather better switch into physical attackers like such as Mega Metagross, Landorus-T, (AC) and Garchomp. A spread of 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD with a Careful nature can be used if you aren't concerned about Heatran and is enough to switch into Gengar. Fianlly, maximizing Special Defense can be an option too, since as it enables Mega Sableye to use Metal Burst more effectively, (RC) and handle Draco Plate Dragalge better.

Usage Tips
========

You should usually lead with Mega Sableye to scare away Stealth Rock setters, but try to hold off Mega Evolving versus vs offense or teams with a physical sweeper Sableye is weak to and would like to check with use a priority burn. If there is a Pokemon on the opposing team which Magic Bounce enables Mega Sableye to disable completely, like such as Ferrothorn or Skarmory, Mega Evolve it as soon as you can. But unless Sableye has Fake Out, you should switch out of leads that threaten it. Since Because Mega Sableye is a very obvious lead, you can take this to your advantage by anti-leading the opponent’s Sableye check. For example, the opponent is likely to lead with Charizard if you have Sableye, so if you have a Latios, it could be a good idea to lead with it instead of Sableye. (period) If Sableye hasn't Mega Evolved yet, try to use double switches in order to do so without enabling the opposing Stealth Rock setter to set up its Stealth Rocks. For example, if your opponent has an offensive Heatran, switch to Sableye if you think it will switch in so that it can Mega Evolve, preventing it Heatran from getting its up Stealth Rocks up. Send Mega Sableye in on defensive Pokemon and entry hazard setters that can't 2HKO it, like such as Ferrothorn or Tyranitar. Make sure to abuse Knock Off early on to remove the opponent's items, helping the rest of your team deal with the opponent's. Use Will-O-Wisp WoW when you need to cripple physical attackers, but be careful, since as Fire Types like Heatran and Charizard can quite easily switch into Mega Sableye and prompt you to waste a turn. Be very careful to always keep Sableye healthy with Recover at all times. If Mega Sableye is forced out while at relatively low health, it can be very difficult for it to switch back in due to its Speed, unless the opposing team carries a Pokemon passive enough to be unable to 2HKO it even from that range of health. (period) and Make sure Mega Sableye doesn’t get worn down be repeated Stealth Rock damage or U-turns and Volt Switches from the likes of Landorus-T and Rotom-W. Be wary of Scald and Lava Plume users, since as Mega Sableye gets worn down by burns very easily. If Mega Sableye is running Metal Burst, make sure you only use it when you don't need Mega Sableye for much else, since as it will have to take a powerful hit in order to get Metal Burst to KO anything activate, and will likely be left for dead due to its very low Speed preventing it from recovering in time.

Team Options
========

This set is very useful as entry hazard control on stall and balanced teams. It fits particularly well on hazard-stacking balance teams, (RC) as a way of deterring opposing hazards while spinblocking and wearing down the opposing team considerably with Knock Off and WoW Will-O-Wisp. As such, Spikes setters like such as Klefki and Ferrothorn and Toxic Spikes setters like such as Tentacruel and Dragalge make for good partners, especially given their ability to threaten Fairy-types. Since Because this set is less not very self-reliant and more easily forced out than the Calm Mind set, it needs something that can consistently deal with its checks, not just a solid check to Fairy-types and setup sweepers but also answers to Calm Mind users such as like Keldeo, (AC) and Mega Slowbro, (AC) and such as Celebi, checks to powerful special attackers like such as Landorus-I which Mega Sableye cannot muscle past, like such as Latias or Tornadus-T, and answers to a few physical attackers like Landorus-T which are able to beat it due to its mixed defensive spread, such as Hippowdon or Slowbro. Your team also needs a very good check to opposing Mega Sableye which, if it runs Calm Mind, will always beat this particular set, so Clefable and Sylveon are good partners too. Offensive Water-types such as like Keldeo, Manaphy, (AC) and Azumarill are often tough for Sableye to deal with, so it's a good idea to carry a bulky Grass-type such as like Ferrothorn or Amoonguss or bulky Water-type such as like Slowbro or Gyarados, especially since because the latter are able to handle Fire-types which also threaten Mega Sableye. Fire-types such as like Talonflame, Volcarona, and Victini pair up well with Mega Sableye, since as it can prevent Stealth Rocks from going up, and they in return are able to switch into the Fairy- and Fire-type moves that threaten Mega Sableye. Mega Sableye provides good support for Pokemon that are vulnerable to entry hazards like such as Kyurem-B, as well as Pokemon that appreciates common Mega Sableye checks having their item removed being knocked off or being lured by Metal Burst, such as Clefable which appreciates the removal of Heatran's Leftovers and of Landorus and of Mega Charizard Y. and of Landorus and Mega Charizard what?

[SET]
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Shadow Ball
move 4: Will-O-Wisp
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Calm Mind turns Mega Sableye into a dangerous bulky sweeper which is able to stall out most special attackers after 1 one boost. Shadow Ball is Mega Sableye's curled apostrophe was fixed here main and only offensive move; (SC) it's booted by Calm Mind and has excellent neutral coverage, with most Pokemon that resist Ghost-type resits being heavily crippled by Will-O-Wisp already. (period) Snarl may might seem odd, but it lets Mega Sableye set up more easily against opposing special attackers thanks to its added effect and enables it Mega Sableye to win 1v1 against opposing Mega Sableyes, at the expense of immediate power. Dark Pulse can be used if you don't want Chansey and Porygon2 to drain Mega Sableye of its PP, but Mega Sableye can still beat them without Dark Pulse Shadow Ball by PP stalling them regardless. Shadow Ball is generally superior to Dark Pulse since because it hits Fairy-type switch-ins, particularly Gardevoir, less hard, and leaves Mega Sableye more easily checked by Substitute + Calm Mind CM Keldeo. Recover is absolutely mandatory for obvious reasons, as it gives Mega Sableye some longevity and lets it actually sweep and wall threats. Will-O-Wisp is a must for Sableye; (SC) it's curled apostrophe great for disabling physical attackers and setting letting Mega Sableye up on them. It also serves for wearing helps wear down defensive Pokemon and certain special attackers like such as Keldeo or Landorus.

Set Details
========

Prankster makes Sableye very useful pre-mega before Mega Evolving thanks to Prankster WoW Will-O-Wisp, Calm Mind, (AC) and Recover. HP and Defense are maxed out in order to to wall Stealth Rock setters such as Terrakion, Mamoswine, Landorus-T, and Garchomp. Becuase of Calm Mind, there isn't too much need for extra special bulk, however, (RC) a spread of 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD with a Calm nature can be used to take on Gengar while a spread of 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD with a Calm nature takes on offensive Heatran variants.

Usage Tips
========

Often to be used Use this set as a lead to dissuade the opponent from setting up Stealth Rock on turn 1, but don't Mega Evolve too early against offensive teams since because a fast Will-O-Wisp WoW really helps in that matchup. Feel free to Mega Evolve almost immediately against balanced/stall teams. Don't Mega Evolve if there is a physical attacker on the opposing team which your own team is very weak to, so that you can potentially outspeed and burn it with Prankster Will-O-Wisp and deal with it from there. If the opponent leads off with a moderately powerful special attacker like such as Landorus or Keldeo, Sableye can Calm Mind on the first turn and, this enables it to Mega Evolve while not taking too much damage. Just use Will-O-Wisp and Recover for most of the battle in order to wear down the opposition. When you find an opening to sweep with Calm Mind, go for it. Mega Sableye can Calm Mind early-game though, but use in a more defensive manner as opposed to an offensive one, (RC) so that it can avoid the 2HKO from certain special attackers. If you can, try to Mega Evolve and Calm Mind on the same turn: spacing not only does Sableye get priority on Calm Mind, but it also gains the added bulk of the Mega Evolution.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard removal is actually highly recommended to give it Sableye the flexibility of not having to Mega Evolve immediately. Tentacruel has good synergy with Mega Sableye since because it deals with Clefable and Heatran, two hazard setters Mega Sableye struggles against. Starmie is also a good partner for Mega Sableye since as it can absorb Scalds and Lava Plumes. Excadrill works on more balanced teams for checking Fairy-types. Jirachi is a good option for handling Fairies in general, specifically Mega Gardevoir and Clefable. Pack switch-ins to powerful wallbreakers and setup sweepers that are immune to burns such as Chansey for Mega Charizard Y, Gliscor for Mega Heracross, Heatran or Rotom-W for Talonflame, (AC) and Quagsire or Slowbro for Mega Charizard X. Pokemon that can easily switch into Scalds and Lava Plumes like such as Starmie, Celebi, (AC) and Gliscor (respectively) are very helpful teammates since because Mega Sableye gets worn down very easily by burns. Trappers like such as Tyranitar and Gothitelle are often used on Mega Sableye teams since because they can dissuade hazard removal and give the team total hazard control. This is especially relevant to hazard-stacking teams that use Pokemon like Toxic Spikes Tentacruel and Spikes Chesnaught.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Taunt aids with stallbreaking and holds some good utility before Sableye Mega Evolves, however Mega Sableye's low Speed makes it very inefficient afterwards. (period) Protect, much like Fake Out, enables Sableye to Mega Evolve early, and unlike Fake Out, (RC) it can also scout Choice-locked Pokemon and what movesets the opposing Pokemon are running. However it can potentially give the opponent a free turn to boost, set up Substitutes , (AC) or use Recover, which is undesirable. Sucker Punch can pick off weakened targets but Mega Sableye is rather weak offensively, so it should not be relied upon. You can run non-Mega Sableye as a stallbreaker if you already use a Mega Pokemon have a mega slot taken, but if you don't have a mega otherwise there is little to no reason at all to use regular Sableye over its far superior mega.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fairy-types**: Fairy-types can soak up any hit from Mega Sableye and proceed to deal massive damage in return. Specifically, Clefable and Heal Bell Altaria aren't hampered much by burns and can consistently switch into it Mega Sableye thanks to their access to reliable recovery. Mega Diancie can easily bounce back Will-O-Wisp, (AC) making it a good switch-in to Mega Sableye; (SC) Gardevoir, Sylveon, (AC) and Azumarill can check it Mega Sableye very well, but the former two can get worn down easily from repeatedly switching into Shadow Ball while the latter is disabled by Will-O-Wisp.

**Special Setup Sweepers**: Special setup Pokemon such as Manaphy, Togekiss, Substitute + Calm Mind CM Keldeo, Mega Houndoom, (AC) and Serperior can break past it Mega Sableye. (period) However, in many cases they can potentially be worn down by Will-O-Wisp if they have no way to avoid status. (period) It is preferable for these Pokemon to run Nasty Plot or Tail Glow as opposed to Calm Mind, in order to win the boosting war with Calm Mind Mega Sableye.

**Physical Setup Sweepers**: Mega Sableye can be taken advantage of by physically offensive Pokemon who that can set up on them without fearing a burn, be they Fire-types such as like Mega Charizard X or Talonflame, Poison Heal abusers like Pokemon such as Breloom and Gliscor, Substitute users like such as Gyarados or Mega Heracross, Lum berry carriers like such as Bisharp or Garchomp, or Mega Absol which avoid burns thanks to Magic Bounce. However, they need to be wary of Foul Play which can deal a lot of damage to them after a boost. Bulk Up Talonflame, however, can avoid this by boosting its Defense as well as its Attack, preventing Foul Play from dealing significant damage to it.

**Fire-types**: Offensive Fire-types such as like Mega Charizard Y and Entei do not care for about Will-O-Wisp at all, (RC) and can either set up on it Mega Sableye or outright KO it.

**Wallbreakers**: Powerful wallbreakers suck such as Landorus-I and Keldeo can threaten to 2HKO it Mega Sableye, in some cases even after a Calm Mind boost. Earth Plate Landorus-T deserves a special mention since because, although it does not counter or even check Mega Sableye well, it can lure it in, since as Mega Sableye is often tempted to switch into Landorus-T to potentially bounce Stealth Rocks back

1/2

The writing here was not particularly bad but there were many, many basic errors that were prevalent throughout. Even putting this through microsoft word would have caught many spelling errors or incomplete sentences. Be sure this is all copypasted in correctly.

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove
add (Capitalize)

(comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
[OVERVIEW]
Magic Bounce enables Mega Sableye to act as an excellent stallbreaker, entry hazard bouncer, status absorber, and universal stop to both Taunt users and defensive Pokemon. This makes it a true staple on stall teams. Furthermore, Sableye has an excellent typing, giving it immunities to Psychic, Fighting, and Normal as well as a resistance to Poison, while only leaving it weak to Fairy. It also has very solid bulk with access to reliable recovery, enabling it to act as a great wall and beat the majority of Stealth Rock setters with a physically defensive spread. Access to Will-O-Wisp lets it disable most physical attackers, and thanks to Prankster, it can act as an emergency check to a powerful physical sweeper if it hasn't Mega Evolved yet. Unfortunately, Sableye's terrible Speed leaves it very prone to being revenge killed and can leave it overwhelmed by several faster attackers. And while Magic Bounce protects it from direct status moves, it does not prevent secondary effects such as burns from Scald and Lava Plume (RC) or and poison from Sludge Bomb, which can wear Mega Sableye down tremendously, especially given that its status as a Mega Evolution prevents it from carrying Leftovers. It's also very vulnerable to powerful wallbreakers, which it can often do little to defend itself against.

[SET]
name: Utility
move 1: Knock Off
move 2: Will-O-Wisp
move 4: Foul Play / Toxic
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Knock Off is mainly used for utility purposes, removing items from Pokemon that like to switch into Mega Sableye such as Clefable, Talonflame, and Tentacruel. Will-O-Wisp is also great utility and team support, making a lot of physical attackers a non-factor and also chipping away at switch-ins. Recover acts as reliable recovery, which is needed for Mega Sableye to act as a defensive Pokemon, (AC) especially given its lack of Leftovers. Foul Play is the preferred move in the last slot because it stops Talonflame and Mega Charizard X from using Mega Sableye as setup fodder. On the other hand, Toxic cripples Fire-type switch-ins as well as Unaware Clefable lacking Heal Bell. Snatch can be useful to steal recovery moves, enabling Mega Sableye to get its health back all the while wasting the opponent's turn. This is especially helpful when the opposing Pokemon is burnt burned, as it will be unable to recover until it gets KOed from the residual damage. Snatch can also steal setup moves from the likes of Togekiss or and Manaphy. However, this requires good prediction to achieve. Metal Burst is a rather niche option on Mega Sableye which that fits more on balanced teams than full stall teams; (SC) it enables Mega Sableye to weaken a lot of checks such as Landorus and Mega Charizard Y, which in turn can help out a teammate. Finally, Fake Out enables Mega Sableye to Mega Evolve more easily on the first turn when facing a Pokemon which that can immediately threaten it, (AC) such as Mega Gardevoir, Mega Lopunny, and or Volcarona, (AC) while getting off some very small chip damage.

Set Details
========

This spread has enough special bulk for Mega Sableye to switch into offensive Heatran variant variants while conserving enough physical bulk to handle most of the physical attackers Mega Sableye is used as an answer to, such as X and Y. (examples please haha) Alternatively, a fully physically defensive spread is still an option if Mega Sableye isn't your answer to offensive Heatran or Gengar and would rather better switch into physical attackers such as Mega Metagross, Landorus-T, and Garchomp. A spread of 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD with a Careful nature can be used if you aren't concerned about Heatran and is enough to switch into Gengar. Finally, maximizing Special Defense can be an option too, as it enables Mega Sableye to use Metal Burst more effectively and handle Draco Plate Dragalge better.

Usage Tips
========

You should usually lead with Mega Sableye to scare away Stealth Rock setters, but try to hold off Mega Evolving when facing offense or teams with a physical sweeper your team is weak to, so that you can make use of a priority WoW Will-O-Wisp. If there is a Pokemon on the opposing team which that Magic Bounce enables Mega Sableye to disable completely, such as Ferrothorn or Skarmory, Mega Evolve as soon as you can. But However, unless Sableye has Fake Out, you should switch out of leads that threaten it. Because Mega Sableye is a very obvious lead, you can take this to your advantage by anti-leading the opponent’s Sableye check. For example, the opponent is likely to lead with Charizard if you have Sableye, so if you have a Latios, it could be a good idea to lead with it instead of Sableye. If Sableye hasn't Mega Evolved yet, try to use double switches in order to do so without enabling the opposing Stealth Rock setter to set up. For example, if your opponent has an offensive Heatran, switch to Sableye if you think it will switch in so that it can Mega Evolve, preventing Heatran from getting up Stealth Rock. Send Mega Sableye in on defensive Pokemon and entry hazard setters that can't 2HKO it, such as Ferrothorn or and Tyranitar. Make sure to use Knock Off early on to remove the opponent's items, helping the rest of your team deal with the opponent's. Use Will-O-Wisp when you need to cripple physical attackers, but be careful, as Fire Types like Heatran and Charizard can quite easily switch into Mega Sableye and prompt you to waste a turn. Be very careful to always keep Sableye healthy with Recover at all times. If Mega Sableye is forced out while at relatively low health, it can be very difficult for it to switch back in due to its low Speed, unless the opposing team carries a Pokemon passive enough to be unable to 2HKO it even from that range of health. Make sure Mega Sableye doesn’t doesn't get worn down be by repeated Stealth Rock damage or U-turns and Volt Switches from the likes of Landorus-T and Rotom-W. Be wary of Scald and Lava Plume users, as Mega Sableye gets worn down by burns very easily. If Mega Sableye is running Metal Burst, make sure you only use it when you don't need Mega Sableye for much else, as it will have to take a powerful hit in order to get Metal Burst to KO anything (RC) and will likely be left for dead due to its very low Speed preventing it from recovering in time.

Team Options
========

This set is very useful as entry hazard control on stall and balanced teams. It fits particularly well on hazard-stacking balance balanced teams as a way of deterring opposing hazards while spinblocking and wearing down the opposing team considerably with Knock Off and Will-O-Wisp. As such, (space) Spikes setters such as Klefki and Ferrothorn and Toxic Spikes setters such as Tentacruel and Dragalge make for good partners, especially given their ability to threaten Fairy-types. Because this set is not very self-reliant, it needs something that can consistently deal with its checks, not just a solid check to Fairy-types and setup sweepers but also answers to Calm Mind users such as Keldeo, Mega Slowbro, and Celebi, checks to powerful special attackers such as Landorus which that Mega Sableye cannot muscle past, such as Latias or and Tornadus-T, and answers to a few physical attackers like Landorus-T which that are able to beat it due to its mixed defensive spread, such as Hippowdon or Slowbro. Your team also needs a very good check to opposing Mega Sableye, (AC) which, if it runs Calm Mind, will always beat this particular set, so Clefable and Sylveon are good partners too. Offensive Water-types such as Keldeo, Manaphy, and Azumarill are often tough for Sableye to deal with, so it's a good idea to carry a bulky Grass-type such as Ferrothorn or Amoonguss or a bulky Water-type such as Slowbro or Gyarados, especially because the latter two are able to handle Fire-types, (AC) which also threaten Mega Sableye. Fire-types such as Talonflame, Volcarona, and Victini pair up well with Mega Sableye, as it can prevent Stealth Rock from going up (RC) and they in return are able to switch into the Fairy- and Fire-type moves that threaten Mega Sableye. Mega Sableye provides good support for Pokemon that are vulnerable to entry hazards, (AC) such as Kyurem-B, (comma) as well as Pokemon that appreciate common Mega Sableye checks having their item Knocked Off, like such as Clefable, (AC) which appreciates Heatran's Leftovers being removed, (AC) or outright lured KOed (or 'removed' if you so prefer, but Metal Burst doesn't lure them, Mega Sableye does) by Metal Burst, like SpD such as specially defensive Excadrill, which appreciates the removal of Landorus and Mega Charizard Y (remove hyphen) from play.

[SET]
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Shadow Ball
move 4: Will-O-Wisp
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Calm Mind turns Mega Sableye into a dangerous bulky sweeper which that is able to stall out most special attackers after one boost. Shadow Ball is Mega Sableye's curled apostrophe was fixed here main and only offensive move; it's booted boosted by Calm Mind and has excellent neutral coverage, with most Pokemon that resist Ghost being heavily crippled by Will-O-Wisp already. Snarl might seem odd, but it lets Mega Sableye set up more easily against opposing special attackers thanks to its added effect and enables Mega Sableye to win 1v1 one-on-one against opposing Mega Sableye, at the expense of immediate power. Dark Pulse can be used if you don't want Chansey and Porygon2 to drain Mega Sableye of its PP, but Mega Sableye can still beat them without Dark Pulse by PP stalling them regardless. (redundant with 'still') Shadow Ball Dark Pulse is generally superior inferior to Dark Pulse Shadow Ball (subsequent 'it' corresponds to the subjects of the sentence, which was 'Shadow Ball', so the whole thing made no sense, and I found this to be the more elegant fix; you can also change 'it' to 'Dark Pulse' or 'the latter move' if you prefer) because it hits Fairy-type switch-ins, particularly Gardevoir, less hard (RC) and leaves Mega Sableye more easily checked by Substitute + Calm Mind Keldeo. Recover is absolutely mandatory for obvious reasons, as it gives Mega Sableye some longevity and lets it actually sweep and wall threats. Will-O-Wisp is a must for Sableye; it's great for disabling physical attackers and makes it much easier for Mega Sableye to set up on them. It also helps wear down defensive Pokemon and certain special attackers such as Keldeo or Landorus.

Set Details
========

Prankster makes Sableye very useful before Mega Evolving thanks to Will-O-Wisp, Calm Mind, and Recover. HP and Defense are maxed out in order to to wall Stealth Rock setters such as Terrakion, Mamoswine, Landorus-T, and Garchomp. Because of Calm Mind, there isn't too much need for extra special bulk; (SC) however, (AC) a spread of 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD with a Calm nature can be used to take on Gengar, (AC) while a spread of 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD with a Calm nature takes allows Mega Sableye to take on offensive Heatran variants.

Usage Tips
========

This set is preferrably to be preferably used as a lead to dissuade the opponent from setting up Stealth Rock on turn 1, but don't Mega Sableye shouldn't (indicative in coordinate sentence 1 + imperative in sentence 2 looks really really messy) Mega Evolve too early against offensive teams because a fast Will-O-Wisp really helps in that matchup. Feel free to Mega Evolve almost immediately against balanced/stall teams. Don't Mega Evolve if there is a physical attacker on the opposing team which that your own team is very weak to, so that you can potentially burn it with Prankster Will-O-Wisp. If the opponent leads off with a moderately powerful special attacker such as Landorus or Keldeo, Sableye can Calm Mind on the first turn and Mega Evolve while not taking too much damage. Just use Will-O-Wisp and Recover for most of the battle in order to wear down the opposition. When you find an opening to sweep with Calm Mind, go for it. Mega Sableye can Calm Mind early-game, but in a more defensive manner as opposed to an offensive one so that it can avoid the 2HKO from certain special attackers. If you can, try to Mega Evolve and Calm Mind on the same turn: spacing not only does Sableye get priority on Calm Mind, but it also gains the added bulk of the Mega Evolution.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard removal is highly recommended to give Sableye the flexibility of not having to Mega Evolve immediately. Tentacruel has good synergy with Mega Sableye because it deals with Clefable and Heatran, two hazard setters Mega Sableye struggles against. Starmie is also a good partner for Mega Sableye, (AC) as it can absorb switch in on Scalds and Lava Plumes. Excadrill works on more balanced teams for checking Fairy-types. Jirachi is a good option for handling Fairies in general, specifically Mega Gardevoir and Clefable. Pack switch-ins to powerful wallbreakers and setup sweepers that are immune to burns such as Chansey for Mega Charizard Y, Gliscor for Mega Heracross, Heatran or Rotom-W for Talonflame, and Quagsire or Slowbro for Mega Charizard X. Pokemon that can easily switch into Scalds and Lava Plumes such as Starmie, Celebi, and Gliscor are very helpful teammates because Mega Sableye gets worn down very easily by burns. Trappers such as Tyranitar and Gothitelle are often used on Mega Sableye teams because they can dissuade hazard removal and give the team total hazard control. This is especially relevant to hazard-stacking teams that use Pokemon like Toxic Spikes Tentacruel and Spikes Chesnaught.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Taunt speeds up the stallbreaking process and holds some good utility before Sableye Mega Evolves, however but Mega Sableye's low Speed makes it very inefficient afterwards. Protect, much like Fake Out, enables Sableye to Mega Evolve early, and unlike Fake Out it can also scout Choice-locked Pokemon and what movesets the opposing Pokemon are running. However it can potentially give the opponent a free turn to boost, set up a Substitute, (AC) or use Recover. Sucker Punch can pick off weakened targets, (AC) but Mega Sableye is rather weak offensively, so it should not be relied upon. You can run non-Mega Sableye as a stallbreaker if you already use a Mega Pokemon, but otherwise there is little to no reason to use regular Sableye.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fairy-types**: Fairy-types can soak up any hit from Mega Sableye and proceed to deal massive damage in return. Specifically, Clefable and Heal Bell Mega Altaria aren't hampered much by burns and can consistently switch into Mega Sableye thanks to their access to reliable recovery. Mega Diancie can easily bounce back Will-O-Wisp, making it a good switch-in to Mega Sableye; Gardevoir, Sylveon, and Azumarill can check Mega Sableye very well, but the former two can get worn down easily from repeatedly switching into Shadow Ball, (AC) while the latter is disabled by Will-O-Wisp.

**Special Setup Sweepers**: Special setup Pokemon such as Manaphy, Togekiss, Substitute + Calm Mind Keldeo, Mega Houndoom, (space)and Serperior can break past Mega Sableye. However, in many cases they can potentially (redundant with 'can') be worn down by Will-O-Wisp if they have no way to avoid status. It is preferable for these Pokemon to run Nasty Plot or Tail Glow as opposed to Calm Mind, in order to win the boosting war with Calm Mind Mega Sableye.

**Physical Setup Sweepers**: Mega Sableye can be taken advantage of by physically offensive Pokemon that can set up without fearing a burn, be they Fire-types such as Mega Charizard X or and Talonflame, Poison Heal Pokemon such as Breloom and Gliscor, Substitute users such as Gyarados or and Mega Heracross, Lum berry carriers such as Bisharp or and Garchomp, or Mega Absol, (AC) which avoid burns thanks to Magic Bounce. However, they need to be wary of Foul Play, (AC) which can deal a lot of damage to them after a boost. Bulk Up Talonflame, however, can avoid this by boosting its Defense as well as alongside its Attack, preventing Foul Play from dealing significant damage to it.

**Fire-types**: Offensive Fire-types such as Mega Charizard Y (looks like Gato's colour coding failed there haha) and Entei do not care about Will-O-Wisp at all and can either set up on Mega Sableye or outright KO it.

**Wallbreakers**: Powerful wallbreakers such as Landorus and Keldeo can threaten to 2HKO Mega Sableye, in some cases even after a Calm Mind boost. Earth Plate Landorus-T deserves a special mention because, although it does not counter or even check Mega Sableye well, it can lure it in, as Mega Sableye is often tempted to switch into Landorus-T to potentially bounce Stealth Rock back. (period)

GP 2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)