Sandstorm Teams: Concept and Development.

I may be wrong but has anyone mentioned Clefable? It's unaffected by SS and is a great Pokémon to receive a burn or a poison. Don't know if it can act a good role in a SandStream team though.

Well it shares a fighting weakness with the Rock/Steel types, and its moveset which basically allows for mainly physical attack is outclassed by pokemon such as Hippowdon/Ttar/Rhyperior, and even Dugtrio.

I may be wrong but has anyone mentioned Clefable? It's unaffected by SS and is a great Pokémon to receive a burn or a poison. Don't know if it can act a good role in a SandStream team though.
Clefable could be good at taking Special hits with a Calm Mind set, and it can use Wish.

No mention of Golduck.

Also as Mr.E mention your whole team does not need to be immune to sandstorm.I like 3 or 4 members of team personally.

No mention of Golduck.

Also as Mr.E mention your whole team does not need to be immune to sandstorm.I like 3 or 4 members of team personally.
How could we forget about Cloud Nine? :)

Golduck may be OK, but keep in mind that it's weak to Grass, which is a major Sanstream Team weakness.

One thing I like about a Standstorm Team is Protect. Get a storm going and then keep using Protect every other turn. Have all your pokemon know it, except Choice users, so you can switch if they do and still keep using protect. Using moves like Fly could work too. If the opponent's pokemon has leftovers, then try to poison/toxic/burn them to keep them loosing health each turn.

One thing I like about a Standstorm Team is Protect. Get a storm going and then keep using Protect every other turn. Have all your pokemon know it, except Choice users, so you can switch if they do and still keep using protect. Using moves like Fly could work too. If the opponent's pokemon has leftovers, then try to poison/toxic/burn them to keep them loosing health each turn.
Now that you say that, I lost to a team like that. laijth uses that, and he can do it surprisingly well.

Now if Slaking would show up and hack me a Leftovers, Stone Edge TM, and Stealth Rock TM, I could test out my own Sandstream team (I'm an impatient guy with no life; no offense meant to Slaking). :)

(He did get some Protect hax when he fought me, though)

This my theory on sandstorm teams

-Only 2 pokes immune makes no sense,At least 3 pokes must be immune the stream,You can go up four ,any more than four normally leads to a huge weakness.

-The other pokes you will be using on stream team must have some way of recovering lost health or must be very good sweeper type poke or exploders/d-bonders type.

-Make sure the team works without the sand stream.Meaning if your just depending on stream wearing down pokes/ss evasion and spikes.Check and see if somebody was to change the weather.If your team would team be would some what effective.

I would advise

T-Tar
Empoleon
Gliscor
Garchomp
Ryperior
Lucario

You can use Gliscor to BP speed if you feel the need, but I like him with
roost/EQ/Arial Ace/Swords Dance. Gliscor is the center of the team because it covers both your ground and fighting weakness. Gong can also be used in the place of Lucario to serve the same purpose.

I would advise

T-Tar
Empoleon
Gliscor
Garchomp
Ryperior
Lucario

You can use Gliscor to BP speed if you feel the need, but I like him with
roost/EQ/Arial Ace/Swords Dance. Gliscor is the center of the team because it covers both your ground and fighting weakness. Gong can also be used in the place of Lucario to serve the same purpose.
Eh. . .Even with Gliscor, any fast Fighting or Ground Pokemon would rip this team apart.

You seem to have ignored any pokemon that aren't effectively immune to sandstream, which seems a little silly.

As someone has mentioned, Blissey is still unbeatable in the special department, and often fills a hole in many a sandstream team in terms of special weak.

Gyarados/Mence can fix an Infernape weakness quite easily, while something like Suicune or Milotic can be just as useful, especially the Sleep Talking varieties.

I also like Celebi and Tangrowth's Leech Seed in a Sandstorm. Celebi would probably be the better choice though due to having another decent form of recovery. When Leech Seeded in a Sandstorm, even the weakest attack can hurt.

Celebi also resists Ground/Water/Fighting for Tyranitar, and can take a few weak Ice Beams from the likes of bulky waters and Blissey. The main problem between this duo that comes to mind is Heracross, and Gliscor, the best Heracross counter in the game just also happens to love Sandstorms.

Gyarados
Gliscor
Tyranitar
Celebi
Blissey
Metagross?

Would be my choice of a team.

GB_Packers_Ftw

LOOKS LIKE FAVRE GOT SHUT DOWN
So true, a stall aero could work with this nicely.

something like fly\sub\protect\eq? Pressure of course

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
TTar/Cradily/RestTalk Cress/Rhy/Gliscor/Heatran might be decent for a Sandstorm team.

Ok yeah use something like Psych Up Cradily so that Suicune doesn't destroy you or something.

Metagross could be a problem, so try working around with Gliscor's Knock off and heatran switching into anything but Quake. Also take advantage of Sand Veil if Metagross does show up

Cradily: Psych Up/Recover/Energy Ball/Toxic.

TSSR.

Yeah, watch out for Gyarados. You can always run Charge Beam > Psychic on Cress for that. You lose Infernape coverage, though.

Clefable has its merits, but the inability to mix Magic Guard with FRLG tutor moves really kills its potential. Softboiled in particular will be missed.

Clefable has its merits, but the inability to mix Magic Guard with FRLG tutor moves really kills its potential. Softboiled in particular will be missed.
It's possible for Clefable to have Magic Guard and Tutor moves through Pal Parking a Clefairy and evolving it as it can change traits on evolution

Jibaku

is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I think getting Magic Guard + Softboiled Clefable is possible. Teach your Clefairy Softboiled, transfer to D/P, and hope it becomes a Magic Guard Clefable upon evolution.

i personally think Cradily is a better non-Blissey special wall than Empoleon. it gets the SDef boost and has recover. granted, this only furthers the general weakness to Fighting that Sandstorm teams always have, but that is no different a case with Blissey or Empoleon

Don't forget Slowbro! He may not be immune to sandstorm, but he can counter some things that sandstorm teams usually are weak to, like Infernape and Gyarados (Although Max SpAtk Infernape's grass knot has a chance of bieng a 2HKO on max HP/SpDef Slowbro).

Jibaku

But Cradily doesn't have the overwhelming HP/SDef stats like Blissey to wall threats like specsmence, and Empoleon has really useful resistances.
Umm Cradily has the special defense boosts, which allows it to actually take less than 50% from a 350 SA Specs STAB Draco Meteor under Sandstorm

my big dillemma is which Spinner to use? I had been planning on using starmie despite it's weakness to SS, but I did note omastar who can also spin. So, which is better for this team, Starmie (way higher speed and SDef. but weak to SS), or Omastar (way higher def and even slightly higher SAtt, and no SS weak)?

*edit: oops.. i was thinking of Kabutops. so let me try this again.. heh. Starmie (still higher speed and SDef, but weak to SS), or Kabutops (still higher Def and obviously higher attack, and no SS weak)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)