Scalding Rain

Scalding Rain

What initially started as "any team with Jellicent in it" eventually turned into what I'm hoping is a decent, if slightly unorthodox, OU Rain team. I'd be very appreciative of any criticism, mentions of the sorts of things to watch out for, or any advice, from the generic to the painfully specific. Suggestions for changes to make, from EVs, to moves, to entire 'mon replacements would also be appreciated.

Recent changes are bolded.

The team started with Jellicent. I didn't know quite what I wanted, except that Jellicent was in it, and he had Scald. Looking at his move options, I initially considered making a Hex team, but that would basically require Tentacruel, and it just seemed kinda gimmicky for OU. Still, Jellicent himself is solid.

From there, I started looking at current OU metagame, to figure out what I needed to beat. Genesect leapt out and punched me in the face and I knew any team I made would have to either contain or counter him. Shadow Tag Chandelure will eventually make a great one, but as it's currently unavailable, I'll have to look elsewhere. I eventually narrowed it down to either Heatran or Volcarona, and chose the latter for not having a 4x Earthquake weakness.

For number three, I started looking at weather, and realized I had no answer to that at all. I momentarily considered something with Cloud Nine, but the only options were NU, and Altaria didn't really add anything else to the team at all. Instead, I decided to fight weather WITH weather, and realized that since I was already basically running a Rain team, Politoed wouldn't go amiss.

For four (heheh), I dediced to look at my other options. First off, while I had a marvelous spinblocker in Jellicent, I lacked any Stealth Rock setup. Given the OU options, I chose Mamoswine, for being a somewhat unexpected team member, being a great set-up, and also serving as a potentially devastating revenge killer for Garchomp. Perhaps a strange choice for Rain, but he'd also serve me well if I lost the weather war to Sand or Hail, similar to Volcarona's use for Sun.

From there, it was time to step back. I lacked a Rapid Spinner of my own, which lead me to look back to Tentacruel, who I'd initially passed up. Now that my team was Rain, I could justify putting him in, and he could clear out Toxic Spikes as well, but he's still too similar to Jellicent. That means I'm gonna be using the other G1 OU Water-type Rapid Spinner.

This left me one last slot. Of all the things I had, I'd never given a thought to actually winning. Volcarona could easily be my special sweeper, what with Quiver Dance, but I needed someone on the other end. A physical Water sweeper. Who else but Gyarados?

However, it didn't take much pushing for me to realize that Jellicent had kind of become secondary to the team as a whole, and that Gyarados, while strong on his own, didn't contribute too much to the team as a whole. That, and needing answers to a couple common counters lead me to rotate out those two for a couple others.

Mothra
Volcarona (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 Def, 252 SpAtk, 252 Spd
Nature: Timid (-Atk, +Spd)
-Quiver Dance
-Bug Buzz
-Hurricane
-Flamethrower

Rain Volcarona is one of those "just crazy enough to work" ideas that I absolutely love, and from the moment I realized I was making a Rain team, I just couldn't get rid of the wonderful moth. I chose Flamethrower over Fire Blast for personal reasons, but could probably be convinced to switch back (and, thus, make her Modest, rather than Timid). Everything else is pretty standard. I wanna run Substitute, but can't really find a place for it.

Three-Toe
Politoed (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpDef
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
-Scald
-Ice Beam
-Perish Song
-Toxic

Politoed's job is to be beefy, hard to kill, and very annoying. The combination of Toxic and Scald means that there are very few mons that can switch in without having to worry about getting hit by something. I was torn between Protect and Ice Beam, and could go either way.

I was convinced to drop Encore in favor of Perish Song, to take care of, among others, SubDD Gyarados.

Hyneman
Mamoswine (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk, 4 Def, 252 Spd
Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -SpAtk)
-Ice Shard
-Icicle Spear
-Superpower
-Earthquake

I realize Choice Scarf may seem a very odd choice on a Mamoswine, but this is intentional. Mamoswine actually serves dual purposes on this team. Three moves already provide fantastic coverage, and a priority move rounds out the set. This unfortunately means he's all but forced to switch after attacking, which could lead to some tricky switches, but the sudden surprise of an offensive Mamoswine when the top listing is a support set is probably worth it. Icicle Spear goes over Crash for breaking substitutes.

Stealth Rock was initially on this set,but it really didn't add much, and was replaced.

Misty
Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP, 252 SpAtk, 252 Spd
Nature: Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
-Psyshock
-Scald
-Rapid Spin
-Recover

This is a strange Starmie set that seems to be going several directions at once, but mostly fills the role of "bulky water-type". Rapid Spin is the "real" purpose of the set, but is far from his only use. Recover is the last move, providing some healing, making a good partner for Natural Cure.

Thunder and Ice Beam were replaced with Psyshock and Scald, as an answer for Keldeo if nothing else, though the STAB doesn't hurt.

Gilbert
Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP, 88 Def, 168 SpDef
Nature: Relaxed (+Def, -Spd)
-Power Whip
-Stealth Rock
-Thunder Wave
-Leech Seed

One half of PDC's suggestion. Among other things, he's a Stealth Rock user after I took it off of Mamoswine, and he's a counter to Starmie, Dragons, and the mon coming up next.

Billy
Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Ability:Levitate
EVs: 248 HP, 252 SDef, 8 Spe
Nature: Calm (+SpDef, -Atk)
-Volt Switch
-Hydro Pump
-Thunder Wave
-Pain Split

Tornadus-T counter and special wall! I don't know the ins-and-outs yet, really.

Merlin
Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 248 HP, 216 Def, 44 Spd
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
-Scald
-Will-O-Wisp
-Taunt
-Recover

Initially put in the team because I think he's a really cool Pokemon, Jellicent came in as the team's mixed wall, using Eo Ut Mortus' excellent Utility Counter set almost verbatim. While I could potentially use Water Absorb to counter someone cheekily trying to hit Volcarona with a Water attack, I decided on Cursed Body, because combined with Taunt, it has a pretty decent chance of giving most walls two options: retreat, or Struggle. Possibly worth noting, if Encore was an option for Jellicent, I'd probably have it over Will-O-Wisp.

Merlin was dropped for not really adding much to the team.

Ouroboros
Gyarados (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk, 4 Def, 252 Spd
Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -SpAtk)
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake

The last member of the team, Gyarados is here as a physical sweeper, and potential revenge killer. Dragon Dance can't possibly be passed up, Waterfall provides STAB, and Stonequake provide excellent neutral coverage. Honestly, of all the members, I think this one needs the least explaining.

And yet, he was the first one to be let go.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hi, cool team.

First off I suggest changing up Encore on Politoed to Perish Song. Perish Song is a very useful move and can kill off some threatening sweepers, while Encore has decreased in effectiveness since Generation 4. Perish Song also gives you a way to defeat Calm Mind Reuniclus and SubDD Gyarados. I also suggest changing up Starmie's set a bit. I suggest changing up to Psyshock and Scald over Ice Beam and Thunderbolt. This allows you to defeat Keldeo. I also suggest using a Timid Nature to actually outspeed many of these threats such as Terrakion, Keldeo, and Infernape. I also suggest turning Mamoswine into a Life Orb variant with Ice Shard over Stealth Rock to adjust for a future change. A Jolly Nature is suggested for this set to give you a solid answer to Breloom by outspending it and taking it out with Ice Shard.

You have some severe problems with Offensive Starmie, dragons, and Rotom-W. Tornadus - T also does a huge number on your team. Having no resists or anything to outspeed it I suggest changing up 2 Pokemon to cover all of these threats at the same time. The weakest links to your team probably have to be Jellicent or Gyarados. Jellicent does not really do too much for your team as you don't need a spin blocker too much and it can easily be replaced for a better Pokemon. I suggest using Ferrothorn over Jellicent to give you a counter to Starmie and Rotom-W while giving you a steel type to sponge dragon type attacks. Ferrothorn gives you a great support option for your team. I also suggest using Specially Defensive Rotom-W over Gyarados to give you a solution to Tornadus - T. Rotom-W gives you some great momentum for your team and also guarantees that you can handle Volcarona.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers | Iron Barbs
252 HP / 88 HP 168 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed

Rotom-W @ Leftovers | Levitate
248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder Wave
- Pain Split

Good luck!

Well, I hate to let go of Jellicent, but without Stealth Rock, I can't really justify holding onto him, and I'm not overly attached to Gyarados. So the direct substitutions are easy enough.

The attack changes I'm also all for, including Mamoswine... which brings up the only problem. I'm really, really attached to the Choice Scarf. It seems weird, but no one expects to get killed by a superfast Mammoth, and he makes an amazing revenge killer to boot. What benefits, specifically, does Life Orb have over Choice Scarf?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)