Scrafty

Zuruzukin @ Leftovers/Rugged Helmet/Big Root
Impish or Careful 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpDef or 252 HP/252 SpDef/4 Def
Intimidate

--Amnesia
--Drain Punch
--Dragon Tail/Payback/Thunderpunch
--Bulk Up/Substitute/Thunderpunch

This thing is a beast. The physical one only takes 35.3-42.2% from Offensive DD Gyrados's Waterfall. It can also hit back with Thunderpunch, but it can't OHKO (it needs 252 Atk to guarantee a 2HKO against Bulky DD Gyrados at -1). Because Drain Punch got its power raised to 75, it is now superior to Brick Break. This gives Zuruzukin a recovery move, because not only does it hit with STAB, but it also recovers damage. But the real star move in this set is Amnesia. After amnesia, Zuruzukin's SpDef rises to 534 (or 722 if you go with the specially defensive set). This combined with Intimidate makes Zuruzukin both a great physical and special wall. Zuruzukin can use several phazing moves such as Roar or Dragon Tail, and it can also use Bulk Up to further boost its physical Defense and Attack which couples well with Drain Punch. Payback is also really good for taking down many faster threats. Leftovers gives you more recovery, but Rugged Helmet helps it deal more damage to wall breakers. Big Root is gimmicky, but it helps if you really need a stronger recovery move.
Several other things help him become the ultimate tank. He is resistant to SR, which helps him switch in on threats. He is also immune to psychic attacks like Psycho Shock, which every special attacker is going to carry to get past Blissey. He can switch in on any Dark, Psychic, Ghost, or Rock move. Only fighting and flying hit him supereffectively, and flying isn't too common. He automatically lowers the opponent's attack every time he switches in. He is truly an amazing tank.

For the specially defensive set:
Use Careful and max out the Special Defense EVs. You can exchange Intimidate for Shed Skin if you hate status, but sometimes some physical bulk can't hurt either. Amnesia is ridiculous on this set (modest specs Heatran with max SpAtk Fireblast does about 28-34% after +2 Special Defense). Don't use Bulk Up, because you are focusing on SpDef. Thunderpunch is also useless because it is meant for Gyrados.

zuruzukin set

i think this set would work its a very offensive/heal set
zuruzukin
item leftovers
nature adamant
moves
drain punch/thunder punch
hi jump kick
payback/stone edge
dragon dance
ddance 4 speed and attack away

TbH I thought it's design sucked at first, but now I've come to really like it. If you look at him a certain way his design stops sucking and nothing seems wrong with it.

I think it helps if you imagine him swearing and storming about complaining about how his mother was never high-class enough to marry a man who knew Dragon Dance, and being followed by a bunch of his pre-evos all trying to hold their pants up, with him whining about how useless they all are.
Whereas Hariyama is E. Honda, Blaziken is Ken, and Machamp is Zangief, Zuruzukin is just one of those random street mooks that you kill in mass numbers, ala Final Fight or Streets of Rage.

Lol that is a nice comparison. Wasn't thinking of street fighter. but seriously, this thing is the new rotom a(no spin blocking, sorry) different resistances, excellent stab, and great bulk. I believe it can stop any sand storm abuser in the game.
I wanna try experimenting with a dd set some time too. It will be refreshing to try something other than dd gyrados. I think overconfidence, jolly, max speed, with the rest of evs focused on attack and hp(defenses are good enough, though an important benchmark might be surviving 1 starmie special? someone tell me an important defense marker.) but with this typing, it will definitely have a niche over bulky gyrados.

from what i can see so far, no one seems to mind that zuru's sweeping can be stopped immediately by status or support moves like encore and taunt, which i believe is a real threat. i'm pretty sure there's space out there for substitute, since crunch+drain punch already gives you very good coverage.

Would a set similar to ChestoRest Kingdra work, except with Shed Skin thus leaving you open to use Leftovers or LO?

Something like;
Zuruzukin @ Leftovers/Life Orb
Shed Skin
*insert defensive spread and appopriate nature here*
Dragon Dance
Rest
Drain Punch
Crunch

With enough bulk it could nab quite a few boosts, then Rest, hope it wakes up, and start sweeping late game. Just throwing some ideas.

It is? Funny, I was guessing that it was supposed to be something like that. What with the mohawk and the hood and the baggy pants.
What? He is? People had a problem with Jynx, but this guy, who is clearly a send up to gang culture, gets the pass?

I don't think this guy's speed is up to snuff. He gets Dragon Dance, but he is still outsped by most of the what looks to be the standard metagame. Which is a pity because his STABs get excellent coverage, and he can fill it out with an elemental punch or Rock Slide. I think Zuruzukin will be dangerous in the lower tiers, and an unconventional, but effective if played right option in standard.

What? He is? People had a problem with Jynx, but this guy, who is clearly a send up to gang culture, gets the pass?

I don't think this guy's speed is up to snuff. He gets Dragon Dance, but he is still outsped by most of the what looks to be the standard metagame. Which is a pity because his STABs get excellent coverage, and he can fill it out with an elemental punch or Rock Slide. I think Zuruzukin will be dangerous in the lower tiers, and an unconventional, but effective if played right option in standard.
I guess the idea here is that unlike many other Dragon Dance users, he's so bulky that he can actually afford to spend two turns using Dragon Dance to get his speed up to scratch.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This is funniest pokemon I've ever seen.

Seriously though, that thing's bulk is damn surprising. Shame he has shit HP.

Yeah, actually another thing is that I can't seem to figure out how to EV this guy.

should his HP always be maxed out? Is it better to put points into attack or defenses? You obviously want to work with his defenses, but for the offensive sets the attack seems important too, and with such low HP he needs HP evs.

Yeah, actually another thing is that I can't seem to figure out how to EV this guy.

should his HP always be maxed out? Is it better to put points into attack or defenses? You obviously want to work with his defenses, but for the offensive sets the attack seems important too, and with such low HP he needs HP evs.
I've been using:

Zuruzukin@leftovers
Careful
252 HP/124 def/128 SpDef

Drain PUnch/Dragon Tail/Bulk Up/Crunch

Works pretty nice. I've got another setup that I don't remember off the top of my head- will post when I find it.

Hm, so nothing into offense, but just focussing on using boosting moves to get power.

It's a shame he doesn't learn recover. You pretty much always have to spend a few turns setting up before he can be really scary. And I'm sure there are plenty of pokemon who can 2ko him.

This guy looks like it should have been Dragon/Fighting

Speaking of which, Dragon Tail could be quite useful on it, with those defenses.

I agree, I think dragon tail is a must for most of the tank sets, in case you have to get rid of something that could be dangerous.

Zuzurukin doesn't really want to stick around with other dragon dance users like Gyarados. In a dragon dance race he'll lose due to his lower speed and middling attack.

Hm, so nothing into offense, but just focussing on using boosting moves to get power.

It's a shame he doesn't learn recover. You pretty much always have to spend a few turns setting up before he can be really scary. And I'm sure there are plenty of pokemon who can 2ko him.

Yeah, just about. I've basically switch him into stuff he can OHKO or force out. Then he sets up, and starts hammering things to death. Forgot to mention that I use overconfidence on him.

After reading his dex entries, I'm pretty appauled that this pokemon doesn't learn Beat Up! It's perfect for it...and no other 5th gen pokemon learns beat up naturally. Missed chance there.

Wow best design EVER. I am amazed how good it is. Nice STABs, great movesets and good bulk. I'm going to try it out when I get time.

Okay, this is officially my favorite pokemon ever. I hope he doesn't become top tier, so I can use him without people just thinking he's standard, like Heatran or something. That said, with those stats and movepool, he's going to be pretty decent. At least he's better than Umbreon. Why do people still use that thing?

Zuruzukin @ Leftovers/Rugged Helmet/Big Root
Impish or Careful 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpDef or 252 HP/252 SpDef/4 Def
Intimidate

--Amnesia
--Drain Punch
--Dragon Tail/Payback/Thunderpunch
--Bulk Up/Substitute/Thunderpunch

This thing is a beast. The physical one only takes 35.3-42.2% from Offensive DD Gyrados's Waterfall. It can also hit back with Thunderpunch, but it can't OHKO (it needs 252 Atk to guarantee a 2HKO against Bulky DD Gyrados at -1). Because Drain Punch got its power raised to 75, it is now superior to Brick Break. This gives Zuruzukin a recovery move, because not only does it hit with STAB, but it also recovers damage. But the real star move in this set is Amnesia. After amnesia, Zuruzukin's SpDef rises to 534 (or 722 if you go with the specially defensive set). This combined with Intimidate makes Zuruzukin both a great physical and special wall. Zuruzukin can use several phazing moves such as Roar or Dragon Tail, and it can also use Bulk Up to further boost its physical Defense and Attack which couples well with Drain Punch. Payback is also really good for taking down many faster threats. Leftovers gives you more recovery, but Rugged Helmet helps it deal more damage to wall breakers. Big Root is gimmicky, but it helps if you really need a stronger recovery move.
Several other things help him become the ultimate tank. He is resistant to SR, which helps him switch in on threats. He is also immune to psychic attacks like Psycho Shock, which every special attacker is going to carry to get past Blissey. He can switch in on any Dark, Psychic, Ghost, or Rock move. Only fighting and flying hit him supereffectively, and flying isn't too common. He automatically lowers the opponent's attack every time he switches in. He is truly an amazing tank.

For the specially defensive set:
Use Careful and max out the Special Defense EVs. You can exchange Intimidate for Shed Skin if you hate status, but sometimes some physical bulk can't hurt either. Amnesia is ridiculous on this set (modest specs Heatran with max SpAtk Fireblast does about 28-34% after +2 Special Defense). Don't use Bulk Up, because you are focusing on SpDef. Thunderpunch is also useless because it is meant for Gyrados.
Wow, great idea with the Amnesia I can't believe I didn't notice that *facepalm* Really good set man, I'm glad some other people are seeing his great tanking abilities. I can't believe how many people are seeing his "awful" design and low BSTs and painting this Poke as insignificant lol

I think with all the people who are going to be running "cool" Pokes like Zoroark I think it'll be pretty easy for me to get this guy in a team :D

Really, his design is fine. The only thing that puts people off is the placement of his eyes and mouth, but if you consider that he's meant to be a sort of lizard it's really not so bad at all.

And yeah, really interesting Pokemon with his moves and stats. I just wish it got Beat Up so I could test if that move is actually good this gen.

Zuruzukin reminds me of Toxicroak for some reason.

Anyway, what I like about it is its typing (offensively, it hits every Pokemon for neutral damage bar Heracross and Toxicroak; defensively, it's weak only to 2 types and it resists 5). I also like how it gets Dragon Dance to boost its good Attack and crappy Speed. It also has a good physical movepool.

Come to think of it though, that HP is an issue. He's not as defensively bulky as Umbreon, and Umbreon also has a ton of a lot more HP. Umbreon can't stand up to strong fighting pokemon and I get the feeling that Zuruzukin will need to use dragon dance as fast as he can if he wants to do anything before a strong fighting type is switched in...and that's also going to make him setup bait for Erufuun's priority encore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)