Season 4 Special Battle changed to Inverse Battles

The format's live now, yes cool.

Played a few battles today; I learned so far that Umbreon with Rocky Helmet matches up against Mega Mom pretty well;
Umbreon can carry Inner Focus so it can't lose turns from flinching and can answer back with Foul Play,
which will fell the beast if she tries to boost. D:

Dang it I want to play this format more but I also need to getting a team together for the International Challenge of May.
According to the damage calculator I use, Kangaskhan 2HKOs Umbreon, while Umbreon's Foul Play barely does 48.5 % at most.

I'm bad.

I neglected to mention that in the battle I faced umbreon I did the worst possible thing:
power-up punch into KO from Foul Play.
Given I already made prior bad plays and my lineup didn't match up well against Umbreon in the first place anyway.
Scuse me for over-hyping Umbreon then, I overestimated its bulk w/o calcs.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I haven't made a team yet because I got a new job and that's been eating up my time, but judging by the top 12 on the Global Link, Grass types are severely underappreciated besides Breloom Tech priority spam. Sure, there's Thundurus and Garchomp amok, but Gogoat does very well on the PS ladder because of its great bulk, sustainability, and hitting 6 of the 12 top used mons on the Global Link ladder for SE on its STAB, as well as serving as a Breloom check because of Sap Sipper removing its weakness to Grass. I know 6v6 with event mons allowed is very different than Nintendo metas but I can't believe people are overlooking a mon with only two weaknesses, Bulk Up, 123/62/81 defenses, and all the sustain you could want in the world.

One thing I am happy about - Greninja doesn't appear on the top 12. Hallelujah! It's time people realize Greninja isn't that great.

The strangest thing I see is Lunar Dance being used on 75% of Cress. Whoa. I knew it was a niche set, but I guess it's super popular on Global Link?

I honestly think I'm not going to care about rating and just go with the most random anti-meta mons. I legitimately looked at Leavanny for coverage (sadly BST is still too low to survive anything neutral); that is the power of this meta. Fuck, a cattle-based team with Gogoat and Miltank sounds pretty appealing.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm mostly in the same boat; I'm kind of pulling together random mons from my WiFi box just to see how they'll do. So far I've decided on Latios, Galvantula and Mega Gyarados; I'm thinking of getting a Mega Kang, Avalugg and Abomasnow for the last couple slots. I'm interesting in trying out Sticky Web as an archetype because of how much better Galvantula's STABs are. Even better, there's no need to run a Hidden Power as it gets Energy Ball and Thunder hits Avalugg harder than HP [Ice] anyways. However, a Sash will still probably be mandatory as it's weak to couple of common types and it gets no significant resistances (Fire and Rock - fairly uninspiring :/ )

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Timid
Compound Eyes
252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
-Thunder
-Bug Buzz
-Energy Ball/Protect
-Sticky Web

Latios @ Life Orb
Modest
Levitate
252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
-Dragon Pulse
-Thunderbolt/Surf
-Psyshock
-Recover/Protect

Also, quick question - how often do you see Protect on random mons to block MKang Fake Out? How would you check that, other Dragons?

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
The strangest thing I see is Lunar Dance being used on 75% of Cress. Whoa. I knew it was a niche set, but I guess it's super popular on Global Link?
Lunar dance cress is used a lot in battle spot singles too. Since everything is so dominated by kanga, battles turn into "who can keep their kanga alive the longest" and if yours gets weakened, go to cress and dance to give your own kanga a second life

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I haven't made a team yet because I got a new job and that's been eating up my time, but judging by the top 12 on the Global Link, Grass types are severely underappreciated besides Breloom Tech priority spam. Sure, there's Thundurus and Garchomp amok, but Gogoat does very well on the PS ladder because of its great bulk, sustainability, and hitting 6 of the 12 top used mons on the Global Link ladder for SE on its STAB, as well as serving as a Breloom check because of Sap Sipper removing its weakness to Grass. I know 6v6 with event mons allowed is very different than Nintendo metas but I can't believe people are overlooking a mon with only two weaknesses, Bulk Up, 123/62/81 defenses, and all the sustain you could want in the world.

One thing I am happy about - Greninja doesn't appear on the top 12. Hallelujah! It's time people realize Greninja isn't that great.

I honestly think I'm not going to care about rating and just go with the most random anti-meta mons. I legitimately looked at Leavanny for coverage (sadly BST is still too low to survive anything neutral); that is the power of this meta. Fuck, a cattle-based team with Gogoat and Miltank sounds pretty appealing.
I've been using a rather makeshift team myself, but I HAVE been using Gogoat. At first it was a sort of mixed bag, but the skyrocket in Breloom usage has made me turn around on it (just hope I don't see Superpower Breloom!) I mean Gogoat isn't super amazing so far, but when I make new teams for this metagame, I think it's earned its spot on at least one of my teams! The biggest issue though is that there are a TON of Thundurus and Garchomp flying around. Not a viability killer, but it is something to consider. Still, like you said, the Grass typing is a great offensive typing here, and Gogoat does have pretty good special bulk. I've found it to have some nice synergy with Latios in particular (despite sharing a weakness to water and electric), and recently, I've been trying it out with Thundurus-T (I really needed that Volt Absorb).

I've been using this set

Gogoat @ Miracle Seed
Adamant
Sap Sipper
252 HP/252 Atk / 4 Spe
-Bulk Up
-Horn Leech
-Return
-Grass Knot

There are two weird things you gotta note about this set. I'm using Miracle Seed because without it, Horn Leech was honestly pretty weak (however due to the nature of my makeshift team, I am willing to give Leftovers another shot sometime). Grass Knot may seem weird with Adamant, but with it, you actually 2HKO Avalugg, which is freaking awesome for a physical attacker. After having tried Grass Knot, I can't see myself using Gogoat without it!

I'm mostly in the same boat; I'm kind of pulling together random mons from my WiFi box just to see how they'll do. So far I've decided on Latios, Galvantula and Mega Gyarados; I'm thinking of getting a Mega Kang, Avalugg and Abomasnow for the last couple slots. I'm interesting in trying out Sticky Web as an archetype because of how much better Galvantula's STABs are. Even better, there's no need to run a Hidden Power as it gets Energy Ball and Thunder hits Avalugg harder than HP [Ice] anyways. However, a Sash will still probably be mandatory as it's weak to couple of common types and it gets no significant resistances (Fire and Rock - fairly uninspiring :/ )

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Timid
Compound Eyes
252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
-Thunder
-Bug Buzz
-Energy Ball/Protect
-Sticky Web

Latios @ Life Orb
Modest
Levitate
252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
-Dragon Pulse
-Thunderbolt/Surf
-Psyshock
-Recover/Protect

Also, quick question - how often do you see Protect on random mons to block MKang Fake Out? How would you check that, other Dragons?
I wouldn't run Latios without Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is essential on Latios because it allows you to nab a OHKO on Garchomp. That's awesome because Latios resists Outrage and is immune to Earthquake, making it an alright check in a pinch! Just watch out for Brick Break Garchomp though. I've been using that to do a TON of damage to Latios switch-ins!

As for Galvantula, I'm just unsure about sticky webs in 3vs3.

Finally, pretty much every Mega Gengar I've seen (including mine) uses something like Protect / Destiny Bond / Shadow Ball / Sludge Bomb / Wave. Probably so they can Shadow Ball Mega Kangaskhan.

Last edited:
I've been playing 20-ish matches so far, with a team built around a Kangaskhan - Avalugg - Chansey defensive core, with Kangaskhan dealing damage and the other two handling defense and special defensive stalling. To this I added Sap Sipper Sawsbuck to hard-counter the common Breloom, getting a +1 attack and a free turn to set-up an Agility or Swords Dance depending on the situation, and then sweep with the incredible coverage grass + normal stab gives in this meta.

Here are some things I've noticed:

1) Ice Beam Kangaskhan is real, and just switching in Rocky Helmet Avalugg isn't as easy anymore.
2) All pokes in the opposing team runs a Rocky Helmet user to counter Kanga. Unless the holder is Avalugg or Garchomp (or other Rough Skin user) though, a combination of Power-Up Punch and then Double Edge / Sucker Punch punches through everything.
3) Not having a Psychic type is a big problem. Shadow Ball is everywhere, even if not a ghost type, and not being able to switch into it (except for Chansey) is a problem. Gengar is the biggest worry I feel.
4) All teams are built to handle Kangaskhan and sometimes he's just not able to do much. I'm thinking of adding another mega and one that has caught my eye is Mega Alakazam, who after tracing Parental Bond can OHKO offensive Kanga, and possibly OHKO'ing 252 HP Kanga (but not likely) while not taking THAT much damage from a resisted Sucker Punch. I will try it out.
5) Also, set-up is pretty common, and Gothithelle and Cresselia in particular is incredibly annoying.

There ain't so many mega Pokemon around.
But I would say Mega Absol can be pretty neat due to the fact that Chansey is so strong in this mode with her zero weaknesses.
It also counters other strong stallers

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
What's a good anti-meta mega, besides mega alakazam like Dennis Moberg mentioned?
Going to try and run Mega Ampharos, will report back with results. Some Cliff's Notes as to why I wanna try it out:

1. Agility is pretty good even with base 45 Speed and relatively good typing (very Dragon resist much wow) - Modest 252 Speed reaches 194 Speed, which ties positive base 125s. You still retain those nice defenses and SpA, as well as immunity to paralysis. Sadly, you're still going to lose to Mega Gengar and Latios, but the former is pretty squishy compared to you while you hit the latter SE while resisting its nuke STAB.

2. Mold Breaker means you don't give a single fuck about Avalugg or Dragonite or lolShedinja, while none can particularly hit you back unless Dragonite is packing Waterfall or Fire Punch or Avalugg is running some Mirror Coat set and you had a low damage roll. Why people are running Fire Punch over Waterfall, I don't know, maybe they hate Garchomp that much?

3. Speaking of which, you shit on Garchomp with that beautiful dual STAB resist and 4x SE STAB. The day Garchomp of all things is set up bait for something is a beautiful and glorious one.

4. Thunderbolt / Dragon Pulse / Signal Beam are excellent, reliable forms of coverage that gets most of the tier. Except for read below.

5. Cons: Talonflame OHKOs you, you lose to Thundurus even with Mold Breaker, still no way to get around tanks like Chansey, P2, and Cress (fucking bastards P2 and Cress take a 3HKO even with Bold and no SpD investment!!). But it matches up pretty well against most offensive threats sans Kanga and deserves a shot imo.

The opportunity cost is obviously not being able to run Kanga but with people overpreparing for it and running +Def natures and Rocky Helmets and shit, I think Amphy has a place.

Last edited:

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
Focus Sash Greninja is kicking my ass, lol. I guess is a consequence of the lower ladder because low rated players love that thing and me being shit and almost everything on my team being weak to one of its STABs. Running Amphy / Gogoat / Gengar / Blaziken / P2 / Avalugg.

I have yet to use Amphy because no one is running Dragons! I have yet to see a genie either. It's all Rotom and Greninja and other such things kicking my ass so my rating sucks. One thing I have been noticing is that everyone seems to forget Gogoat has Sap Sipper and that inverse battles don't get rid of immunities from abilities. But, there are all sorts of curious things being run: I even lost to shit like Zangoose, Aurorus, and Toxi-stall Jolteon. The Japanese are too good at this game, but I'm ok with that because I'm seeing lots of mons otherwise neglected in competitive play.

MVPs so far are Gogoat with those amazing resists, incredible sustain and sweeping teams all by itself (lol @ the unfortunate soul I faced in my first match who ran monotype Fire) and Blaziken, since Fire / Fighting is awesome even with the inverted type chart. Since my strategy at this point is throwing spaghetti at the wall until something sticks, any team I make is likely going to include those two.

Lastly: dear Gamefreak, Parental Bond is some broken garbage; I think it's a load of bullshit that Counter/Mirror Coat only deals damage based on one of the hits, rather than overall damage. Fix please

P.S. Toxic is EVERYWHERE

Thought I wanted to share my bullshit team.

Kangaskhan - Mega
Item: Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Nature: Adamant
EV: 252 Att, 252 Spd, 4 HP
- Return
- Sucker Punch
- Fake Out
- Power-Up Punch

Cresselia - Sp.wall
Item: Leftover
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Bold
EV: 252 HP, 252 SP.def, 4 Def
- Psychic
- Toxic
- Moonlight
- Lunar Dance

Avalugg - Wall
Item: Rocky Helmet
Ability: Ice Body (Bad but to lazy to rebreed)
Nature: Impish
EV: 252 HP, 252 Def, 6 Att
- Recover
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Avalanche

It is really silly, the whole team just circulates around Kangaskhan and protecting him.
You start with Kangaskhan and open up with Fake Out unless they got Rocky Helmet or open with their own Kangaskhan, if so switch!
As soon as you Kangaskhan is in danger switch to the wall that fits the current enemy.
Get that toxic running and start doing damage, switch to wall#2 if needed.
When your wall feint or a opportunity opens up, switch back to Kangaskhan and Fake Out!
Follow up with a kill move or switch again to wall ^^
Repeat until win.

Additional mind games, pick really cheesy Pokemon for your other 3 slots which counters do not do well against walls and/or Kangaskhan.
And hard counters against Pokemon you don't want to face, anti poison, anti sleep and so on :)

Last edited:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Breeding up a team to test this out. How's this looking?

m-alakazam / sap sipper AV goodra with power whip / jolteon / breloom / avalugg / talonflame with taunt and wow

only problems I can see are a complete lack of boosting moves and no way to remove status

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
Seriously, fuck Toxic stall. I'm going to try out Crobat because I'm shopping for an immunity and the other base 130s don't have much against it; thinking of running a set @ Sitrus Berry, Acrobatics or Cross Poison / Toxic / Protect / Roost. I was considering Muk but I'm not really sure of the integrity of its defenses without any sort of sustain and Venusaur who has questionable typing in this meta. Probably going to axe P2 because it doesn't accomplish what I want it to tbh. Maybe Amphy, I really want it to work but someone please run Dragons or Ground types.

Spoonfairy Looks like you're abusing the goodstuffs of this meta, alright. One change I'd like to recommend on Avalugg besides ability is running Relaxed 0 Speed over Impish. There is no reason not to run minimum Speed because it ensures that you score a 120 BP SE Avalanche on enemy Avalugg. You are still slower than Slowbro/king (those guys need to step it down!) unless you are Impish and they run -Speed.

Pyritie idk about running slow Dragons with lots of weaknesses running around. But I freely admit that I suck at this (struggling to get into 1600s rofl) so the best way to find out is to jump onto the ladder. The PS! ladder is nothing like Battle Spot special but it gave me ideas for stuff to use like Gogoat.

Deleted User 220884

Banned deucer.
Mega Gengar with Protect, is pretty good.
Takes out fake-out, and usually KOs Kangashkan in return with Shadow Ball. Won me like 5 games today, only losing one, to a guy I already versused (beat him already), his Latios managed to survive my thunderbolt with 1 hp from m-gengar, and Draco Metor-KO'ed. But overall, its very good use, encourage people to use it, it pisses of jpn kids, since they love their fakeout kanga's running around. (also gengar has enough bulk to take out Special Kanga aswell.)

Mega Gengar with Protect, is pretty good.
Takes out fake-out, and usually KOs Kangashkan in return with Shadow Ball. Won me like 5 games today, only losing one, to a guy I already versused (beat him already), his Latios managed to survive my thunderbolt with 1 hp from m-gengar, and Draco Metor-KO'ed. But overall, its very good use, encourage people to use it, it pisses of jpn kids, since they love their fakeout kanga's running around. (also gengar has enough bulk to take out Special Kanga aswell.)
Modest or Timid?

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I am now in the top 5 in the US! Here are a few of my impressions

1. Breloom is freaking EVERYWHERE, and people are starting to get desperate in fighting it too. I've seen strange things like safety goggles Rock Blast Armaldo, Rhyperior, Chesnaught, etc. So if you see something strange switch into Breloom, be careful!

2. People are carrying a crap ton of Mega Kangaskhan checks. Its to the point where I sometimes kick Mega Kangaskhan off my team because I run into people with 2-3 Mega Kangaskhan checks. In particular, Ive been seeing a lot of Foul Play Porygon2 with Trace, who is useful vs other mons like Garchomp. I myself am using Porygon 2 now, it's a pretty damn good Pokémon!

3. I've been starting to see a few paralysis spam teams. Most of these run Sap Sipper Miltank and Porygon2. They can get pretty annoying because only electric types are immune to Thunder Wave. It's making me seriously consider an electric type for my team...

4. Ok here's a strange Pokémon I gotta pimp, because its been awesome for me

Bouffalant @ Choice Band
252 HP / 228 Atk / 28 SpD
Adamant Nature
Ability: Sap Sipper

-Thrash
-Return
-Facade
-Giga Impact

This is pretty much the ultimate offensive Breloom check. Resists Mach Punch, gets an ATTACK boost from Bullet Seed, and OHKOs with Return. Thrash is your main damage dealing move, and I prefer it over Head Charge because there is so much rocky helmet and Garchomp in this metagame, PLUS I eved my Bouffalant to survive ONE Mega Gengar Shadow Ball, so Head Charge would screw that up! Return is for when you don't want to switch out, and Facade is awesome for when you get burned, which isn't too common in inverse, but its saved me a few times! Giga Impact is normally a move I'd never use, but it's pretty much filler and it has one cool thing: It OHKOs Jolly Mega Kangaskhan, which means it has saved me a few times when Mega Kangaskhan was the last mon and such! Otherwise, the last moveslot is total filler so do whatever you want with it.

Deleted User 220884

Banned deucer.
Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
Ability: Reckless
-Doubledge
-Quick Attack
-Close Combat/U-Turn
-Bravebird

Doubledge, because it's the most spammable move to have. Quick attack, to kill shadow sneak greninja's/weaken pokemon.
Close Combat, is not that Useful, though I still have it on my set. Bug types are pretty dominate in Inverse, so U-turn could work.
Brave Bird is secondary stab

It hits lots of things hard, try this. Sometimes it catches kanga off guard (doesnt realizing this aint scarf) and takes about 75% of it's health.

@Unowniator, I'm using Timid Gengar.

Deleted User 220884

Banned deucer.
Current Special Battle Spot Team:

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
Ability: Reckless
-Doubledge
-Quick Attack
-Close Combat/U-Turn
-Bravebird

Gengar @ Gengarite
252 Sp.Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Timid Nature
Ability: Levitate/Shadow Tag
-Protect
-Shadow Ball
-Sludge Bomb
-Thunderbolt/Energy Ball

Breloom @ Focus Sash
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
Ability: Technician
-Spore
-Bullet Seed
-Mach Punch
-Rock Tomb

Dragonite @ Choice Band
252 Atk / 248 Spe / 8 HP
Adamant Nature
Ability: Multiscale
-Extreme Speed
-Dragon Claw
-Dragon Dance
-Earthquake

Other 2 Slots are usually pokemon that I choose, like Sharpedo, Mamoswine, Sceptile, Mega Pinsisr, etc. But I have a problem, my ranking was in the 1700's, after loosing 2 battles bring me around 1680's, I need help about defeating Cresselia. This thing is a pain in the but, with rocky helmet and t-wwave and moonlight. My gengar sometimes manages to beat or my staraptor when i get crits. Run protect on gengar, so I can block out fake-out and trap mega kanga, and ko it with shadowball, so kanga isn't really a problem. I just need 2 pokemon who can easily take out cresselia, and has a good "offensive" typing in this game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)