I've been working on a set made for sweeping that plays off of Contrary:

EVs: 252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP
Nature: Timid
Item: Life Orb/Leftovers
* Leaf Storm
* HP Fire/HP Ice
* Giga Drain/Leech Seed
* Substitute

Leaf Storm is the obvious STAB choice for a Contrary set due to the +2 SpA with each use. HP Fire is there to hit any Steel types that can withstand the STAB moves, or you can use HP Ice to deal with Flying and Dragon types. Substitute buffs his already decent survivability, with either Leech Seed or Giga Drain for recovery; Giga Drain is a little better with the SpA boosts, but Leech Seed can both force switches and help whittle down Pokemon that resist Serperior's other moves.

Life Orb makes Serperior's Leaf Storm-boosted attacks even more monstrous, and the recoil can be easily healed off with Leech Seed or Giga Drain. If you'd rather have extra recovery, Leftovers work just as well.

Of course, actually getting this Serperior is a bit of a challenge for me since the Snivy I started with had absolute crap for IVs, and all of his kids followed suit. Hopefully the shiny DW Serperior I picked up at Anime Punch will help alleviate this...

Contrary Serperior is not released yet, unfortunately. It might be released soon when BW2 comes out, though. For now, however, this discussion doesn't really belong here. Either way, more substance needs to be added to the OP. This set - when legal - could just be discussed in the np: thread. A Pokemon discussion thread should include most of the sets that they can use and also encourage discussion about said Pokemon with questions such as "What teams have you found Serperior most effective on?". Here is a good model Pokemon discussion thread.

Anyways, about the set itself, yeah, it's definitely going to be effective. However, in NU, that set probably isn't the optimal set. For one, Hidden Power Fire is somewhat useless in NU compared to other Hidden Power's. You'd be much better off using HP Ice / Ground / Rock (like what SubCM Serperior now use). I'd rather use Leech Seed / Glare over Giga Drain too.

Contrary Serperior will likely move up a bunch of tiers/get banned pretty quickly. It will be fun while it lasts though...

Serperior in general is a really fun Pokemon even without Contrary. SubCM Serperior has been rapidly increasing in usage and other Serperior sets, such as SubSeed and SubGlare, are also seeing more use. Serperior's blistering fast Speed, as well as useful supporting moves and great bulk allows it to be an effective NU Pokemon. It's a shame that there are a lot of other good Grass-types in NU, but unlike the rest of the good ones, it's incredibly fast.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
...So that Serperior I got that has Contrary is actually an illegal Poke?
It's hacked, yes. Contrary Serperior is not released yet.

If this is going to become a Serperior discussion thread, I'd like to see a little more substance added to the OP (talk about other sets, its strengths, etc). If not, this will be locked / taken over by someone else.

Once this is released, everyone will be using it with Leaf Storm. That said, Flying types and Fire types will be much more useful. Too bad almost all Unaware users are Water types...they would be great counters. It'll probably rise up to RU or UU, but there's a small chance it won't with all the SE STAB moves lurking around the metagame. I doubt it though, because this set looks pretty dangerous.

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...
I have enough difficulty managing serperior in NU with overgrow. If contrary ever get's released, I think he surely will be moving up probably even to OU as the only things to stop him in NU will be swellow, zebstrika certan scarfers and sap sippers.

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Serperior will definitely be going to OU, Contrary Leaf Storm with that speed is too good not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)