Serperior

Oh well....Sad faces all around. Hopefully they'll release them at some point. It's still acceptable in UU without Perversity. But the hassle of DW means for in-game purposes it isn't likely people would have a DW Snivy anyway. It only competitively affects cartridge players like me.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The abilities are, but those overworld sprites aren't. Which means that if they aren't programmed into Grey, you likely won't be getting them at all this gen. Just because something is programmed into the game (like Arceus' ??? form) doesn't mean there's a way to legitimately obtain it.
The ??? plate was a safeguard against hackers. Since some Pokémon have no DW ability at all, that is presumably not the case.

Besides, if Gray doesn't have them, other games might such as RS remakes, a console game, ~something else?!~

They'll appear some time in the future, hopefully before peak oil becaue I suspect Nintendo won't switch to silcon and wind turbines. But I'm sure they wouldn't program THAT MANY abilities, never to be seen. Unless they know about Smogon.

Presumably either Gray or the inevitable R/S remakes (or possibly a new Wii gae) will have them.

But then, there's still a lot of Gen I-IV Pokemon that haven't legitimately gotten their DW abilities either, iirc.

Jarooda would be actually good, if he had any other move. SubSeed is probably the best set, along with SubGlare...he has only Hidden Power and Life Storm (resisted Leaf Storm does 105 though...not bad at all)...and Hyper Beam (lol)...well, sub is mandatory, he can sub on many bulky waters (especially Quagsire/Swampert/Gastrodon), and then start spamming Leaf Storms

Jarooda would be actually good, if he had any other move. SubSeed is probably the best set, along with SubGlare...he has only Hidden Power and Life Storm (resisted Leaf Storm does 105 though...not bad at all)...and Hyper Beam (lol)...well, sub is mandatory, he can sub on many bulky waters (especially Quagsire/Swampert/Gastrodon), and then start spamming Leaf Storms
Spamming Leaf Storms? Are you trying to troll yourself?

Sounds fishy to me.
Wait: Is that for real? The Battle Subway's Serperior has specs and only has Leaf Storm?
Intredasting...
And my guess is that we will definitely see Gen V DW abilities by the next game at the latest. Even if they aren't given out by event before the third version (please?), the fact that they are programmed into B/W hints that it is because of backwards compatibility. That way someone with Gray can battle with DW Serperior (or a similar Pokemon) against someone with Black or White and not screw everything up.

You know how Battle Tower/Subway have 4 possible movesets, depending on your streak? That's Serperior's final moveset. Leaf Storm @Choice Specs.
However, the ability was never confirmed.
Then again...there's also a Thundurus with 4 special moves and a choice band...

They'll appear some time in the future, hopefully before peak oil becaue I suspect Nintendo won't switch to silcon and wind turbines. But I'm sure they wouldn't program THAT MANY abilities, never to be seen. Unless they know about Smogon.
They most likely do.
Do they care? Eh... that's a another question altogether.

Is Mirror Coat any good whatsoever on Jaroda Serperior?

It would have to be EV'd almost entirely in HP and SpD to be able to survive things like non-STAB Ice Beam, I highly doubt it can take any STAB fire attacks. I think Serperior is better off utilizing its speed. I suppose if you scout with Protect it could work, but not better than many other sets. Just use Wobbuffet for Mirror Coat, it isn't banned after all.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Serperior @ Leftovers
Timid
Antagonist
52 HP / 212 Def / 244 Spe

Leaf Storm
HP Fire
Substitute
Giga Drain

Bulky sweeper. 304 HP (a lefties number) 279 defense and 354 speed to outrun the genies. You can switch the def EVs to special defense, but I find serp taking physical hits more often. He can easily take most moderately powered hits and drain his health back. Subdrain works similarly to gengars subsplit set with higher speed and a boosting move.

Try it!

Wring out looks like an interesting option, probably mentioned at some point though

it hits full health targets for 120, meaning if you swap in for an easy kill with leaf storm and they swap say salamance in to tank the shot, you have a 76% chance of killing it with wring out
in fact, due to the nature of the move, a life orb + nature max EV +2 serperior should have 76% chance of killing salamance with wring out regardless of its health i think

it may not be the best, but having it means you can use a hidden power to hit steel types and get coverage on everything, so you arent walled by steel types and can at least do something to dragons, and if you can get a second boost somewhere, it should be enough for hidden power+leaf storm+wring out to kill anything easily

Serperior @ Leftovers
Timid
Antagonist
52 HP / 212 Def / 244 Spe

Leaf Storm
HP Fire
Substitute
Giga Drain

Bulky sweeper. 304 HP (a lefties number) 279 defense and 354 speed to outrun the genies. You can switch the def EVs to special defense, but I find serp taking physical hits more often. He can easily take most moderately powered hits and drain his health back. Subdrain works similarly to gengars subsplit set with higher speed and a boosting move.

Try it!
This looks pretty useful. Storm-boosted Giga Drains go a long way toward helping Serperior's survival, and with a decent Hidden Power it doesn't matter that you have an additional Grass-move, since Serp has few options for coverage anyway (and doesn't need many considering how Leaf Storm murders even most resists after enough boosting). Sub sounds like it has nice synergy, but I personally prefer using Glare with a more offensive EV spread. If Glare proves illegal with Perversity, I'll likely swap it for Seed, Sub, or even Toxic or Wring Out.

I'm getting prepped for the game when it drops on the 6th and I'm getting a snivy starter for sure.

can anyone recommend a good moveset that utilizes Gastro Acid(since I get the feeling it will be more important this gen?)

Has anyone considered using the Defensive EVs in a Contrarian moveset?

Something like this:

Timid
Contrarian
244 HP/12 Def/12 SpD/240 Spe
-Substitute
-Leaf Storm
-Hidden Power Ice/Fire
-Giga Drain

Has anyone considered using the Defensive EVs in a Contrarian moveset?

Something like this:

Timid
Contrarian
244 HP/12 Def/12 SpD/240 Spe
-Substitute
-Leaf Storm
-Hidden Power Ice/Fire
-Giga Drain
I've tried a bulky set similar to that, and it really doesn't hit hard enough to hurt anything. You need to be at +4 before you start doing any sort of notable damage. With sets like that you are just best off running offensive EVs. There are better options for Serperior with a defensive EV spread.

Overheat wouldn't be broken imo, but being able to get the boost with Grass or Fire + use a different HP would be exceptional.

^but come on, you must admit with basically two (yeah that's right, twister and mirror coat don't even COUNT) differently typed special moves, his movepool is screaming for a dragon pulse, at least.
At least give us three moves GF, come on.
and it is still outsped by a decent amount of the metagame, escpecially if you're running modest to hit hard with a leaf storm right off the bat.
two words for serperior's movepool: FOR SHAME.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)