Pokémon Sharpedo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see about Beedrill. I guess I forgot Aqua Jet lol.

The problem with Scizor is that you're forced to play a mind-game (Pursuit vs U-turn vs Bullet Punch) with no risk on the Scizor player's part. Meaning that they gain an advantage just by switching in.

I see about Beedrill. I guess I forgot Aqua Jet lol.

The problem with Scizor is that you're forced to play a mind-game (Pursuit vs U-turn vs Bullet Punch) with no risk on the Scizor player's part. Meaning that they gain an advantage just by switching in.
Do you know how much pursuit does? You should switch out once you see scizor come in, so that's the only one that would actually hurt sharpedo specifically

Sharpedo will probably have two main roles in the new meta (and we have to distinguish between the two).

The first is as a late-game cleaner (where is it arguably better). Protect is obligatory on this set since you really need that +1 speed boost before Mega-Evolving. Crunch is also really necessary since it's solid stab move. For the other two slots you have a lot of slash in options (as Ash Borer discussed above), but Poison Jab and Waterfall are main ones.

The second use which I'm intrigued by is as a mid-game wallbreaker. You can forgo Protect for interesting coverage moves like Destiny Bond and Super Fang for switch-in mind games and can talor Sharpedo for specific threats (which is where the Hydro Pump-Waterfall discussion comes in).

I bolded the moves I think are mostly optional and tailored depending on your team, but overall I'm going to test this out because I really like the idea of playing around with Superfang. Quick Question: How do you deal with Scizor and Meg Beedrill?
It really depends on what investment the opposing Scizor has. If its a normal scizor then its gonna get 2hkoed by Strong Jaw-crunch anyway, while CB bullet punch does only around 25-30%ish or something like that. offensive M-scizor gets 2hkoed on the switch-in, but a bulky-one might live super fang+crunch, especially if its max hp max def. Its why I would probably run hydro pump instead of waterfall because most switch ins like M-scizor and skarmory are physically defensive, and so you get the kill without losing momentum (you might have to run drizzletoed for max hp/max def bulky M-scizor though if you want to guarantee the kill, as rain-boosted hydro pump does 56% min with only 4 spA investment).

As for M-Beedrill, if you aren't running aqua jet, just switch out, otherwise M-beedrill dies on the switch in.

Let me ask you some questions though- Would ice beam be better than ice fang? Should poison jab warrant a slot on this type of role?

ebolaking

Banned deucer.
sharpedo imo should run the standard set waterfall protect crunch ice fang/zen headbutt/aqua jet even tho this last one is only for talonflame because breloom resists and revengekills back with mach punch. i'd run ice fang to hit salamence and dragons even if crunch does a lot anyway but ice fang ohko if not intimidated

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Ice Fang vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 392-464 (118.4 - 140.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 181-214 (54.6 - 64.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

sharpedo imo should run the standard set waterfall protect crunch ice fang/zen headbutt/aqua jet even tho this last one is only for talonflame because breloom resists and revengekills back with mach punch. i'd run ice fang to hit salamence and dragons even if crunch does a lot anyway but ice fang ohko if not intimidated

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Ice Fang vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 392-464 (118.4 - 140.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 181-214 (54.6 - 64.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Always take intimidate into account. I don't know if mence will run intimidate with mega, but still.
-1 252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Ice Fang vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 396-468 (119.2 - 140.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
nvm lol
252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 129-153 (38.6 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
dang it
4 SpA Sharpedo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 172-204 (51.4 - 61%) -- 94.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Im guessing sharpedo might go mixed.. Hydro pump hits harder than crunch or waterfall on physical walls, even uninvested
I've always wondered, why isnt there a water type fang.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Hydro pump is interesting actually, if you run enough SpA to OHKO mega mence with Ice Beam it gets through Skarm, Rhyperior and (phys def) Hippo in one shot and gets more damage on some neutral physically defensive pokemon like Phys def. clef and quagsire compared to Crunch or Waterfall. It also hits some Waterfall targets like Terrakion and Bisharp just as well if not better than Waterfall. But you'll regret using Hydro Pump agaisnt Tyranitar, and Heatran. Ice Beam is really hitting just Mence and has the luxury of OHKOing garchomp if you run a powerful Hydro Pump, so a Hydro Pump / Crunch / Protect / non-ice beam moveset sounds not bad too.

With hydro pump you're basically trading a better chance against Heatran and Tyranitar for smoking Skarm, and a some other small advantages. No flinches and lots of misses too. Seem's OK.

Mixing and matching is a bit redundant I'd wager this is Sharpedo's best

Sharp @ Shapedoite
- Crunch
- Waterfall / Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam / Double-Edge
- Protect

Second Slashes hate, first slashes can deal: Salamence, Tyranitar
First slashes hate, second slashes can deal: Azumarill, Keldeo, Skarmory, Greninja

First slashes take on Heatran better and are less susceptible to missing, can create some luck with flinches or freeze, and doesn't suffer from recoil. Also chesnaught but it's not that important.

Second slashes can take on Hippowdon, Rhyperior, Quagsire, Bisharp, Mega Gyarados and Clefable better, but only in kind of unrealistic or only mildly useful ways.

Second slashes have more targets, and have better targets, but the first still has relevant ones and has luck on its side pretty heavily. Considering Double-Edge 2HKOs azumarill while still getting a good hit on Greninja and Keldeo I like it better than Poison Jab, which is really only used for getting past defensive fairy types. Again Aqua Jet and Destiny Bond are pretty decent utility moves if you want to go that route.

Last edited:
Reactions: AM

ebolaking

Banned deucer.
Always take intimidate into account. I don't know if mence will run intimidate with mega, but still.
-1 252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Ice Fang vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 396-468 (119.2 - 140.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
nvm lol
252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 129-153 (38.6 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
dang it
4 SpA Sharpedo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 172-204 (51.4 - 61%) -- 94.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Im guessing sharpedo might go mixed.. Hydro pump hits harder than crunch or waterfall on physical walls, even uninvested
I've always wondered, why isnt there a water type fang.
check out your calcs bro mega mence has 130 base def

-1 252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Ice Fang vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 264-312 (79.7 - 94.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

since max atk neutral does 118-140

did any one tried hp fire on it. its spatk isnt too bad and can catch ferros off guard. Probs can run a set with enough speed to outspeed most things at +1 than throw 252 into atk and the rest into spatk.

Are steel types the only way to stop this thing?
Nah, stuff like Keldeo and Azu stop you pretty handily depending on the coverage your running. Plus Sharpedo doesn't actually hit super hard, so really bulky stuff can stop you as well, even if you hit them neutrally with Crunch

Are steel types the only way to stop this thing?
As far as I know it has no way of boosting its atk/sp.atk so it's assuredly countered by basically every bulky water, chansey, porygon2, and if i'm not mistaken kyu-b as well. All in addition to various steels.

Sharpedo also has access to zen headbut for keldeo, and poison jab for clefable, azumaril and other fairies. I personally like ice fang still but I often consider poison jab over it.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Sharpedo also has access to zen headbut for keldeo, and poison jab for clefable, azumaril and other fairies. I personally like ice fang still but I often consider poison jab over it.
Zen Headbutt can't OHKO iirc, so Scarf Keldeo is a counter.

napty

Banned deucer.
Everyone's talking about Poison Jab but what about Poison Fang ? Sharpedo gets it with ORAS. Which is stronger ?

Everyone's talking about Poison Jab but what about Poison Fang ? Sharpedo gets it with ORAS. Which is stronger ?
Poison Jab is. Assuming this is against a mon that is 2x weak to it:

Poison Jab: 80 x 2=160 BP

Poison Fang: 50 x 1.5 x 2=150 BP

Poison Fang might attract you because it gets boosted by Strong Jaw, but it's so piss weak that it's still weaker than Poison Jab.

Just going to point out that poison fang has 50% chance to badly poisoning what it hits as opposed to poison jabs 30 percent to normaly poison, it might be 5 BP weaker then poison jab but the chance to badly poison means it's really this for that pick which one you like.

What would be a good team to build around Sharpedo?
I'm too lazy to think, but honestly, if you're looking for a good core or teammates to pair up with Sharpedo then look for Sharpedo's weaknesses' and then start from there. Once you find out those weaknesses, try to help Sharpedo by pairing it up with mons' that help support it's weakness. If a certain mon' walls Sharpedo, then you look for a mon' that can help KO the mon' or make it easier for Sharpedo to bypass the mon'. If there are certain flaws Sharpedo has trying to sweep, try to help fix the Sharpedo's flaws by giving it support mons' that help bypass these flaws. (e.g. Thundurus' Prankster T-Wave, find something that can resist T-Wave/Electric Moves or a mon' that likes getting T-Waved like Ferrothorn who can then have more power with Gyro Ball, etc.) Sorry I was not able to give you mons' that pair up well with Sharpedo, but I'm sure there are others who are willing to. :]

Has anyone tried out this monster yet?

Sharpedo @ Shapedite
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Destiny Bond
- Protect

Last edited:
Just going to point out that poison fang has 50% chance to badly poisoning what it hits as opposed to poison jabs 30 percent to normaly poison, it might be 5 BP weaker then poison jab but the chance to badly poison means it's really this for that pick which one you like.
It's interesting that normal poison does more intial damage over the first two turns of status than bad/toxic poison.
So if the aim is to have Sharpedo Protect to gain that bit of damage to turn a 3HKO into a 2HKO, (as opposed to crippling a tank for the whole match) normal poison might be preferable.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
I did a basic analysis of Mega Sharp in anticipation for its coming analysis. I think this is its best set, and has a few good teammate suggestions for people that are wondering what to run.

Overview
########
⦁ Speed Boost, good offensive stats and ability, sufficient movepool make it a competent cleaner
⦁ upgraded defenses don't hurt either
⦁ about as strong as Scolipede. Except it doesnt suffer from life orb recoil, its much harder to counter, main STAB is fully accurate, not weak to stealth rock
⦁ only one mega per team would be the reason to use scoli instead of sharpedo

Wounder, Cleaner
########
name: Cleaner
move 1: Crunch
move 2: Hydro Pump / Waterfall
move 3: Double-Edge / Ice Beam
move 4: Protect
ability: Speed Boost
item: Sharpedite
evs: 252 Atk / 36 SpA / 220 Spe
nature: Naughty

Moves
========
⦁ Crunch is Sharpedo's strongest move and should always be used
⦁ Hydro Pump deals with Skarmory, Landorus-T, Gliscor and Hippowdon. Three important physically defensive Pokemon in ORAS OU.
⦁ Waterfall is incapable of dealing with Skarmory, and defensive Landorus-T, but it puts luck on your side rather the opponent's and is a better answer to Tyranitar, and Heatran.
⦁ Double-Edge's ability to narrowily 2HKO Azumarill, and very convincingly 2HKOs Greninja and Keldeo make it a very valuable move as all three of these Pokemon are common offensive answer to Sharpedo. It is also fairly effective against Mega-Gyarados, Breloom, specially defensive Mega Altaria, and specially defensive Clefable. Although it does not OHKO or outright beat many of these threats being able to do serious damage to them all with one move in invaluable. It makes a late game sweep much more plausible.
⦁ Ice Beam allows Sharpedo to beat Mega Salamence, defensive Landorus-T, and Chesnaught. Stronger hits on Breloom, Mega Altaria, and non-specially defensive defensive Gliscor are also welcome.
⦁ Protect is imperative to ensure at least one speed boost is always acquired, without a speed boost Sharpedo is not fast and can not funciton as a late game sweeper.

Set Details
========
⦁ Maximal attack is obvious as Crunch is the most frequently used move. It's necessary for many 2HKO and OHKOs
⦁ 28 SpA Evs ensures a 2HKO on Skarmory with Hydro Pump, and an OHKO on Landorus-T.
⦁ The remaining go into 228 Speed achieves 303 Speed when mega evolved, which convienently outpaces up to Jolly Excadrill by a single point. Though situationally useful due to the nature of mega evolution speed and probable speed boosts, extra SpA investment has little use.
⦁ Alternatively 112 SpA EVs can be used when using Ice Beam. This essentially guarantees an OHKO on Mega Salamence with Ice Beam. The remaining in Speed will be enough to outspeed adamant scarf Lando-t at +1.
⦁ Sharpedo can often achieve +2 speed so it's usually inconsequential to use less than maximum useful speed. Experimentation with mixed and bulky spreads is encouraged.
⦁ Naughty because lesser priority damage and maximum damage is ideal

Usage Tips
========
⦁ IF you need two speed boosts to sweep come in on something base Sharpedo can beat by itself. This usually means coming in freely on something very weakened
⦁ Ok really this is a late game sweeper. Save until late in the game!
⦁ Sometimes you can make salvage a lost game by feigning protect if significant pressure exists for this. Try it sometime.

Team Options
========
⦁ Offensive teams tend to function by hitting as hard and fast as they can. Their endgame usually has the opponent's team quite weakened. Sharpedo functions as a solid closer for this archetype, it benefits better than almost anything else from slinging around powerful life orb attackers wildly in the mid game, and early game hazards.
⦁ Bisharp is a good answer to fairy types that a bother for Sharpedo. Discouraging defog to keep hazard damage pouring on is also very useful to Sharpedo. Luring some mach punch users and hitting them with Iron Head is to Sharpedo's benfit. Getting crucial damage on Greninja or Keldeo with sucker punch before going down to them lets Sharpedo sweep more often, many times teams rely on these to check Bisharp and Sharpedo. Bisharp also has a knack for drawing in some problems for Sharpedo such as Suicune, Ferrothorn, and Sableye. From there Bisharp can Swords Dance in front of them and deal a crippling attack. For all these reasons Bisharp is quite effective next to Sharpedo.
⦁ Early game hazard users like Mamoswine are powerful allies to Sharpedo. The more hazard damage that builds up against the opponent the greater chance it has to sweep. Indirectly KOing talonflame is a huge help to. Mamoswine's potential to disrupt lead Brelooms is useful to Sharpedo.
⦁ Greninja's type redundancy with Sharpedo, and its overwhelming offensive talents make it an effective lure for some counters to Sharpedo. Clefable, Ferrothorn, Suicune, and many more can be drawn in and beten by the right Greninja. Greninja's spiking ability is also very beneficial to Sharpedo
⦁ Gengar's effectiveness against Fairy-, Fighting- and Grass-types can synergizes well with Greninja. Clefable, and Breloom for example.

Other Options
########
⦁ Destiny Bond is usable but 3 attack Sharpedo is actually hard enough to counter where it often prefers 3 attacks.
⦁ Aqua Jet can catch some priority users or weakened scarfers, but its useful situations are less frequent than coverage moves
⦁ Poison Jab is good if you REALLY hate Clefable and Sylveon. Other coverage moves will be better more often though
⦁ Don't use Zen Headbutt, or Ice Fang. No really don't.

Checks & Counters
########
⦁ Very bulky Pokemon that Sharpedo can not hit super effectively, or just resist Crunch will often counter. Examples include Suicune, Clefable, Ferrothorn, Mega Scizor, and so forth. Be warned that neutral crunches will still scuff these bulky walls. Less than very bulky Pokemon that take neutral damage from Crunch will not suffice however. Rotom-W, Quagsire, and Mega Venusaur can be 2HKO'd by crunch for perspective.
⦁ Sufficiently strong priority make easy checks. Talonflame, Breloom and Conkeldurr will do the trick. But do not be fooled, after mega evoltion, Sharpedo is no longer remarkably frail, CB Dragonite's Extremespeed can be comfortably absorbed for example. Naturally, choice scarf users will often not work, as Sharpedo can often gain 2 speed boosts, and always 1.
⦁ Anything that Sharpedo can not OHKO, and can hit back with enough power, which is any healthy and non-frail attacker, without a weakness to Sharpedo's attacks, will do function as a check, but this is why Sharpedo is for the late game. The best way to beat sharpedo is conserve one of these bulky attackers you have throughout the game. IT would be better to have as single full health mon rather than 2 at 50% against a Sharpedo.

Last edited:
Its important to note protect serves a second role beyond letting you get a mevo off. That role is toxic stalling if you're running poison fang. HAIL THE RETURN OF STALLPEDO. Seriously tho, if you nail common switches like rotom w with poison fang, and it get's toxic'd, you can probably break it next time it comes in. Strong Jaw makes this move have at least decent base power, and the 50% chance to toxic is invaluable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)