Sharpedo

Hey, if Sharpedo has Speed Boost, doesn't that mean that Carvanha has it too? Imagine what Speed Boost Carvanha could do to Little Cup...

Anyways, I think Speed Boost Sharpedo will sit nicely in UU, once the tiers have been ironed out. There's only room for one major Speed Boost Pokemon, and Blaziken has taken that spot. Sorry Ninjask, but you always sucked anyway.

Waterfall can't do anything to Luke? I think you are mistaken sir. Luke switches into a face-full of Waterfall and the only stopping a OHKO is a Sash. Water is generally a better STAB to stick too anyways.

and OP Crunch is a far better STAB Dark move then Night Slash. Def drop and Flinch are much more useful then high crit ratio (and the BP is higher!).

No your best bet with the new and improved Sharpedo is;

Seeker Torpedo!!
Adamant Sharpedo @ Liechi
Speed Boost
~ Substitute
~ Waterfall
~ Crunch
~ Earthquake
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Hp

Sharpedo can't switch into much without dying, so it's best not to try. Thanks to all that loverly Spe Sharpedo is getting from Speed Boost people are going to be looking for (Protect / Speed Boost) and are going to switch on you to counter. Hide behind your Sub and pick your passion! Sub more and get a Liechi boost, or fire off attacks with a nice 120 attack and near perfect the Water-Dark-Normal combo (resisted by Nuttre).
This is the best set IMO. Of course Sharpedo isn't OU material, but in UU he has some strong potential with Speed Boost. Like Petaya Sharpedo in Advance, Liechi Sharpedo in BW can be a strong force.

I could be wrong but I believe that Hydro Pump is an egg move, and therefore cannot be used with his dream world ability
I believe it was pointed out on the research threads that female DW pokemon can pass abilities through breeding, leaving the male pokemon to pass egg moves

Sharpedo can be an unexpected option for a physical sweeper but its stats, typing and movepool leaves much to be desired. There is a lack of physical water moves and sharpedo doesn't have the bulkiness of other water types. He does gain a psychic resistance but he gains a fighting one, leaving him open to breloom, blaziken, lucario, etc.

Overall, there are others that do sharpedo's job better than him. Garchomp is no longer uber, Onon-whatever, Roobushin, etc. It just isn't a viable option.

Sharpedo is pretty decent. I've been running a mixed LO Set with Hydro Pump/Crunch/Aqua Jet/ Ice Beam. I'm not sure on the EV's but it does pack a nice little punch. Of course, Sharpedo really can't switch in to any moves except Psychic ones, since even resisted attacks will 2hko. But once it gets in it can cause some damage to the opposing team. Aqua Jet is useful to pick stuff off that has its own priority or if it is the first turn Sharpedo is out and can net an easy kill. It could be useful for Dory too I guess, although it probably doesn't OHKO.

Sharpedo can be an unexpected option for a physical sweeper but its stats, typing and movepool leaves much to be desired. There is a lack of physical water moves and sharpedo doesn't have the bulkiness of other water types. He does gain a psychic resistance but he gains a fighting one, leaving him open to breloom, blaziken, lucario, etc.

Overall, there are others that do sharpedo's job better than him. Garchomp is no longer uber, Onon-whatever, Roobushin, etc. It just isn't a viable option.
Earthquake, Waterfall, Aqua Jet, Double Edge, Crunch, Ice Fang, Poison Jab. That's pretty much all I saw. I think that's an adequate movepool for something like Sharpedo that gets great neutral STAB. Priority obviously helps, too.

No, I think the thing that screws over Pedo the most is crap defenses. Note that Garchomp and Roobushin are really quite bulky, and Ononokusu has at least base 90 defense. That's what separates the good (Sharpedo) from the great, in my opinion. I mean, that thing will die to ANYTHING.

Sharpedo can be an unexpected option for a physical sweeper but its stats, typing and movepool leaves much to be desired. There is a lack of physical water movesaqua jet and waterfall are enough and sharpedo doesn't have the bulkiness of other water typesyeah that's true.... He does gain a psychic resistance but he gains a fighting one, leaving him open to breloom, blaziken, lucario, etc. All dark types fear them...there fighting types!

Overall, there are others that do sharpedo's job better than him. Garchomp is no longer uber, Onon-whatever, Roobushin, etc. It just isn't a viable option.none of them have speed boost AND they can't use special attacks. Plus they can't counter (check?) shandera.
Comments in bold

Sharpedo's psychic immunity let him come in on things like Espeon on Rankusuru (though it can't come in on Focus Blast). It's a pity his only boosting move is Agility (which is lol with Speed Boost anyway), since he'd love anything, even Cheer Up.

Sharpedo's movepool lets him down only because it doesn't have anything he really wants, like Pursuit, Swords Dance, Gear Change, Shell Smash, Cheer up, Claw Sharpen or Dragon Dance.

However that isn't cause to despair for our Torpedo Shark. He still gets substitute, and with a respectable 120 base attack and 95 base special attack, with decent coverage in water/dark/ice moves, and priority in Aqua Jet, he can force switches to get in those substitutes safely. Scouting for moves behind a sub is pretty decent, and makes for some potential counters to rethink their moves.

Sharpedo can run HP Fire for some surprise kills behind a sub on this like Scizor and Nattorei as well.

He's stopped cold by Roopushin though. Sharpedo doesn't even have aerial ace to stand a minor chance.

sharpedo has zen headbutt (that 1turncharge bouncing move too) but thats a stupid gen4 tutor and with rough skin he is unplayable

but a specialpedo is still a good idea cause icebeam, boil over, most dark normal targets has les special than physical def so dark pulse is better than crunch (+ flinching is most better than defdrop for sharpedo if target is not switched out) and without substitute you should not even consider to play him

I was a big fan of UU Sharpedo last generation, and Sharpedo is actually even better this generation, Speed Boost is a godsend for sure.

I actually built a team based around a late-game Sharpedo sweep. It was a rain team, which REALLY helps him for sweeping to get the extra STAB on waterfall. I used a set of Aqua Jet/Waterfall/Crunch/Earthquake. Came in on a weakened target with hazards and counters weakened, then used Aqua Jet to get the kill and free boost. Got so many great sweeps with it.

Some thoughts and a set I just made up:

Name: Speed Boost Anti-Lead or Revenge Killer
Sharpedo @ Liechi Berry / Life Orb
Nature: Adamant / Jolly
Ability: Speed Boost
12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Speed /
-Waterfall / Hydro Pump / Aqua Jet
-Crunch / Night Slash
-Earthquake / Ice Fang
-Substitute / Protect

Set Comments:
-Sharpedo reaches 372 Atk with max Ev's and Adamant (this set only runs 244 Atk Ev's though)
-Sharpedo reaches 317 Speed with max Ev's and Jolly
-After, and If, the Liechi berry activates, thats 559 Atk!
-12 HP is so Subs pop up at 71 HP
-The Ev's can be messed with a bit depending if speed or attack is what is needed more
-Waterfall is STAB of choice for power and accuracy, Hpump for extra power but accuracy loss, and aqua jet for priority but weak power
-Aqua Jet may be Sharpedo's only saving grace for revenge kills because of mach/vaccuum.
-Crunch vs Night Slash is only a toss-up for secondary effects, lowering Def or chance to crit. Though, as stated earlier, Crunch does more damage on average than Night Slash.
-Earthquake so Nattorei is not an impossible wall
-Ice Fang for any dragons that may be troublesome or Landlos/Gliscor
-with a substitute, Life Orb does not give the 10% recoil and with Speed Boost it can be easier to pop the sub first, but with no way of healing Sharpedo its not going to last very long anyway.
-Careful of Mischievous Heart users who go for the taunt first anyway!
-Sharpedo can outspeed Mole in Sand after 2 speed boosts
-Or MixPedo set with Naughty / Lonely and 176 Speed / 80 Sp Atk
-MixPedo might like a HP Fire / Grass, Ice Beam, or Surf

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
If you really want to avoid being walled by Nattorei, then HP Fire is sharpedo's only option as I doubt EQ being even a 2HKO. My favorite sharpedo set would have to the mixed anti lead. Takes out lead breloom, taunts enemy set up users, is an answer to lead boosters, he's just so awesome...

If you really want to avoid being walled by Nattorei, then HP Fire is sharpedo's only option as I doubt EQ being even a 2HKO. My favorite sharpedo set would have to the mixed anti lead. Takes out lead breloom, taunts enemy set up users, is an answer to lead boosters, he's just so awesome...
I was trying to avoid complete overcentralization. I see the benefit of running HP Fire, but then Sharpedo misses out on hitting other mons and then has to run the MixPedo set. I'm still tampering with it :)

mixpedo is a double edge like a spec or physical version

crunch is ways better than dark pulse (although flinchhax is better for our shark than defdrop unless the target uses bulkup or something - but sharpedo should switch out even when a poke appears who can use bulk up...) and it hits all this physical fragil psychics better, surf/boiling water (think surf is better cause 15 more bp are sometimes urgently so sharpedo get a sweep without survivors who strike back and 30 percent burnhax is for sharpedo still too luckbased) is of course better than waterfall due to all that water weak pokes are more physical except tar, but sharpedo still needs aqua jet too to be effective

ice beam is a much needed move as a speed boosted sharpedo could easily sweep an entire unprepared dragonteam not named kingdra or garchomp/salamence included but not other ubers and/or as coverage for some grasses (antagonist jaroda for example if it is not outspeeded it rape teams)

lol forget hydropump but i dont know if its able now to use that with speed boost

Sharpedo's psychic immunity let him come in on things like Espeon on Rankusuru (though it can't come in on Focus Blast).
Espeon runs Thunderbolt and often likes to Sub on predicted switches. I wouldn't count on Sharpedo as an Espeon switch-in.

Anyway. It isn't so much that Sharpedo is overshadowed by the various dragon attackers (although he totally is), it's that he fits into a profile that every good team already has a way to deal with. Anything that counters Doryuuzu, either with bulk or priority or both, also counters him. Likewise, any rain sweeper counter (as long as it doesn't rely on a weather move) also counters him. His threat profile, as a much-faster-than-you frail attacker, is something you need to have a counter and a backup counter for, in order to accomplish anything.

Espeon runs Thunderbolt and often likes to Sub on predicted switches. I wouldn't count on Sharpedo as an Espeon switch-in.
Espeon isn't capable of learning Thunderbolt. Espeon do however run HP Figthing, Grass Knot and/or Signal Beam often, so your point still stands.

I can see

Sharpedo@Liechi Berry/Petaya Berry
Speed Boost — Adamant
Protect
Endure
Waterfall/Hydro Pump
Crunch/Dark Pulse

Protect first turn for scouting and speed boost boosts. Next turn, endure on a predicted attack and get down to 1 HP, where your boost berry will activate. Protect one more time, and begin your sweep! He can go either physical or special, both being great. Watch out for priority....

The problem is sharpedo's frailty... it can't even stand resisted priority attacks like Bullet Punch and Aqua Jet. Plus its affected by all kinds of weather, so it can't really run subLiechi/SubPetaya sets.

I can see

Sharpedo@Liechi Berry/Petaya Berry
Speed Boost — Adamant
Protect
Endure
Waterfall/Hydro Pump
Crunch/Dark Pulse

Protect first turn for scouting and speed boost boosts. Next turn, endure on a predicted attack and get down to 1 HP, where your boost berry will activate. Protect one more time, and begin your sweep! He can go either physical or special, both being great. Watch out for priority....
Protect and endure run off the same counter. You can't protect, then endure.

I've been trying this guy out as a sweeper on my Rain team and it actually works really well. Just make sure Ferrothorn is pretty worn down before switching Sharpedo in. The set I've been using is:

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Adamant
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Protect

You really need both Adamant and Life Orb, as they give you a very high probability of OHKOing Tyranitar (in the sand) and Gliscor (in the rain). Waterfall does something like 95% minimum to both of them under the above-mentioned weather conditions.

Protect is SO much more useful than Sub; the ability to switch in on Latios / Rando after a kill, Protect, and then outspeed and OHKO them is invaluable.

Earthquake rounds things out nicely, and does something like 35% to Ferrothorn, so you're not totally useless against it actually.

This thing will and should definitely surge in usage if Swift Swim gets banned. I certainly know who I'll be using in place of Kabutops...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)