Shiny Charm and Masuda Method

I think what they mean is that breeding with pokemon that didn't come from Kalos (X and Y) affects the odds of hatching a shiny from it. Some were saying that it makes them rarer. I have been breeding with a non-kalos japanese ditto, and have gotten three shinies in about four-five hundred eggs, so I don't believe that it makes a difference if a pokemon came from an older game.
I agree. I'm not sure how the theory even materialized; it is pretty easy to claim something which can't really be proven true or false, I guess. That said, I would be interested in seeing a "study" similar to this one at some point "proving" or "rejecting" the claim.

I agree. I'm not sure how the theory even materialized; it is pretty easy to claim something which can't really be proven true or false, I guess. That said, I would be interested in seeing a "study" similar to this one at some point "proving" or "rejecting" the claim.
1950 eggs isn't enough for an argument?

And that is the number that I'm pledging. I surely bred more than 3k eggs. And, for as much as it concerns ME and MY numbers, that's what I found. It's not "easy", that's the data I have.

Last edited:
1950 eggs isn't enough for an argument?

And that is the number that I'm pledging. I surely bred more than 3k eggs. And, for as much as it concerns ME and MY numbers, that's what I found. It's not "easy", that's the data I have.
Yeah, but on the flipside, I'm using a non-kalos japanese ditto and I've gotten two shinies in 800 eggs.

Exactly. A number of people using 6iv Ditto were hatching 2,000+ eggs without finding shinies. Some people think it has more to do with not switching the parents out from the daycare ever and there being a possible chance that the game can somehow lose masuda rates upon reset.

Doesn't really matter though.

In my own experience I had a straight 3,600 eggs without any shinies (only 1600 of them were recorded here because that's when i signed up). I switched the Ditto out for an Ambipom and got a shiny within the next 50. Now everytime I hatch, superstituous me switches out the parents and now I've gotten two shinies within 300 eggs.

But its probably that my luck is catching up with me? Who knows. Most important thing is that this thread continues to be about data though I guess.

my spreadsheet post should be updated to 2100 and 3 shinies.

That's the issue: probability. Even with 2000 eggs, it's very difficult to know for certain whether or not a mechanic is true without looking at the game code. But, that's why I think this Shiny Charm idea is good; since so many people are contributing so many eggs, you can get a good idea and look at trends.

I dont think it matters wither the pokes are kalos or not cause the dittos I use are non kalos and im getting pretty good shiny rates. Though I switch my parents out every 330 or so as long as ive gotten a shiny. So maybe switching parents every so often helps. When I switched my parents in the middle of my 4th batch from a JAP ditto to a SPA ditto I ended up getting the most shinies in that batch

Ok so I contributed 810 to the other thread, but I finally unlocked shiny charm so Im going to start pledging eggs here. My intitial goal will be 3000 eggs, bred in batches of 300 eggs then hatched. I will use Kalos parents ONLY (pentagon). I usually hatch my eggs in random order, so I will state the box they are from but not the exact egg number. I will update shinies as they hatch here, and then enter my results in the doc once each batch is completed.

Batch #1 - 300 eggs
(Complete)
1 Shiny so far, box 7 (181-210)
Jap Goomy X Eng Goomy
No tipping.

Batch # 2- 300 eggs
(Complete)
1 Shiny Box 8
German Noibat X Eng Noibat
No tipping.

Batch # 3- 300 eggs
(Complete)
2 Shinys Box 5 and Box 7
Jap Skrelp X Eng Skrelp
No tipping.

Batch # 4- 300 eggs
(Complete)
1 Shiny Box 10
French M Charmander X Eng Kangaskhan
No tipping

Batch # 5- 300 eggs
(Complete)
1 Shiny Box 4
French M Charmander X Eng F Charmander
No Tipping

UPDATED 3/15/14
Updated post 719. Current total 1500 eggs, 6 recordable shinies.
I was definitely sweating some bullets this time around, my last box of eggs and the second to last batch of 5 finally yielded a shiny Jolly Charmander. So far, with MM and SC, collecting 300 eggs at a time(10 boxes) over a couple of sittings/sleep modes and then mass hatching has yielded a shiny every time(2 in the case of Skrelp's batch). I HIGHLY suggest that people try my method and compare success results- since if this method proves to be consistent across many tries and multiple users it would mean the shiny rate is probably close to 250-350. As a side note, I ONLY use Kalos bred mons. No Bank'd foreign Dittos, and only use flawless Bank'd mons to get IVs if necessary.

Okay so i do have the shiny charm
I'm using an ENG vanilluxe and and a JAP honedge and i have hatched 450 eggs till now and no shiny. My vanilluxe is actually from my black 2 game.
I'm wondering now if i'm doing it right or is there something wrong?

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Okay so i do have the shiny charm
I'm using an ENG vanilluxe and and a JAP honedge and i have hatched 450 eggs till now and no shiny. My vanilluxe is actually from my black 2 game.
I'm wondering now if i'm doing it right or is there something wrong?
I'm getting annoyed when people hatch below average numbers of eggs and think there's something wrong. 450 eggs isn't a lot. At least this is better than the people who are disappointed they didn't get theirs in 100-300 eggs.

The average is between 1 shiny:~500 eggs. However, you might get your shiny in more eggs. You might get it in less. There is no way to guarantee one, the only way you can get a shiny is to keep hatching eggs until you get lucky. That's how probabilities work. Seriously please stop posting "I didn't get a shiny in X number of eggs, is something wrong?" No there isn't, it's all luck.

I'm getting annoyed when people hatch below average numbers of eggs and think there's something wrong. 450 eggs isn't a lot. At least this is better than the people who are disappointed they didn't get theirs in 100-300 eggs.

The average is between 1 shiny:~500 eggs. However, you might get your shiny in more eggs. You might get it in less. There is no way to guarantee one, the only way you can get a shiny is to keep hatching eggs until you get lucky. That's how probabilities work. Seriously please stop posting "I didn't get a shiny in X number of eggs, is something wrong?" No there isn't, it's all luck.
well it was my first time doing this and i'm using a pokemon which isnt kalos born that's why i was wondering, but yeah your words totally calmed my nerves :)

Hey I'm just wondering since Shinies are generated when the TSV and ESV match would it be possible for me to do the maths on a batch of eggs and check to see if the TSV matches my ESV and go about it that way instead of hatching them all?

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
fwiw, I gave up on my Fletchling at 720 eggs with no shiny with both Kalos-born parents. Anecdotal evidence, sure, but I personally don't see any evidence that Kalos-born, Dittoes, whatever crazy rumors out there concerning what parents you use other than differing language have any influence on the odds. I chewed out a few people a few pages back but I don't like superstitious rumors being passed around when we're trying to gather empirical evidence.

Just keep hatching and you'll eventually get your shiny. Best of luck. (And check out this thread in the meantime, relevant)

Just hatched 100 more eggs, totaling 300 and no shiny, I have never been more depressed receiving 6IV pokes that right now I feel they are worthless, I really just want to get into competitive battling, anyone know what Pokemon are good for battling? I could breed them while helping this research, like fainting 2 pidgeys with one stone edge

as much as it does suck that at 2k plus eggs, the fact that people (even though it's other people!) get shinies at a much faster rate brings the overall ratio down. The stats so far indicate an increase in chance with shiny charm and MM, even if we haven't 100% pin-pointed it - so at least we're moving in the right direction.

MagusDiablo, hopefully you'll get your charmander soon, then whatever you hunt for next is within the first 10 or so eggs :P

Hey I'm just wondering since Shinies are generated when the TSV and ESV match would it be possible for me to do the maths on a batch of eggs and check to see if the TSV matches my ESV and go about it that way instead of hatching them all?
Well we used to be able to do that no prob, with the help of the almighty Instacheck but Nintendo pulled the plug on it, but I did a bit of research and I heard that there was some way to find out about TSVs and SVs using a Spinda theory, try search more on that if you wanna know more about it

Don't give up! I think you're just having really bad luck. But when you finally get the shiny, it will be even more special. :)
Yeah, I feel that way too. But I think I'll stop breeding Charmanders and start breeding Froakies for a while.

how are you exactly keeping yourself together :o
I think I already lost my sanity somewhere between the first and the 1500th egg =D

Hi all, new here, have the shiny charm, will be breeding ENG treecko with JPN ditto.
Doing 90 eggs at a time.
1st batch - no shiny
2nd batch pending.

Last edited:
What exactly are your totals all together so I know what to put on the spreadsheet?
Had to go back to find my first post back in February to figure it out. I did 1300 eggs so far with a total of 5 shinies.

Also 300/500 done for current pledge and no shiny so far

Last edited:

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This thread is for determining the rate of shinies with Charm + Masuda Method, not to talk about screwing around with XY save data or hacking/cheating. Those discussions do not belong in OI. Please try to keep things on topic.

UPDATE:

Total eggs hatched: 3845

Shiny: 6

(1002th egg) Kricketot (284 eggs hatched)
(1088th egg) Blitzle (50 eggs hatched)
(2376th egg) Cottonee (134 eggs hatched)
(3340th egg) Eevee
(3840th egg) Misdreavus
(3841th egg) Shuppet

Yup, Shuppet came right after Misdreavus~~~Hehe!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)