Shoddy Battle 2 (the future of Shoddy Battle)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool to know you're taking "sort of requests".

Things i'd like it to have
  • Button to reset your accounts ratings/record
  • Team builder - well, it would be easier if you can just tipe the pokemon's name and attacks, instead of scrolling for them.
  • And im quite sure its a glitch the fact, that your opponent can choose what pokemon to send in next after you killled one with pursuit, in DS it sends out the pokemon u had chosen the turn before, its quite anoying when you have a CB tar with pursuit, kill some poke, and next, lucario goes out to SD, while otherwise, it wouldn't switch in due to a posible incoming EQ.

While I still don't know why legendaries can only have certain IV's, it's very annoying when you have to change the IV's to something legal only to change the Hidden Power without knowing it. I once lost a battle because I expected hidden power grass to OHKO Swampert, only to use hidden power electric. Perhaps it should show options that would make legal IV's while keeping the HP the same.

With Trick so common, it would also help to show what item you're holding along with stat changes. After reading all the suggestions, this looks like it's gonna be much better then SB1. Can't wait!

• Button to reset your accounts ratings/record
This has already been mentioned. Around the 2nd page, I think Caelum thought of it first, and I quoted him as well with it being a good idea. Later on when Bearzly replied to my suggestions along with some others, he did mention that SB1, and SB2 are for competitive play, and what'd be the point of resetting your rating score/records when those are what show your skill/level of playing competitively on the server. As much as I liked the idea, I suppose it is kind of true.

~ Aether Nexus

I would like it if in addition to the addition of doubles battles, you implemented showdown rules (6 pokemon on a team, you get to see your opponent's six, then you select 4 to actually battle and then it's a standard 2v2 battle with 4 pokes per side).

Also, is it possible to change the position of the stats in the team builder to make speed last?

As for the resetting the rating thing, that seems like something that should be discussed in PR...

Good work, looking forward to Shoddy Battle 2.

another idea that i would love to see: being able to test a team before saving it. like, in the team builder, there is an option to test the team, and when you click it, it automatically finds an unrated battle, allowing you to edit as you find mistakes in your battle.

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I guess it was already mentioned, but I don't want to read 106 posts, but a Ignore Spectator Chat function would be amazing :)

I'd love to see a Littlecup ladder on the main server.
Before that I'd like to see some analyses for Little Cup pokemon on Smogon. Listing one moveset for each eligible pokemon in one long article teaches next to nothing.

On a shoddy-related note, would it be possible to toggle what is displayed on the HP bar? I'm talking about toggling between actual HP amounts and % of HP.

Ummm.....I dont know if it has happened to any of you.....but I think the self-ko clause is active. I think I lost once because of my opponents Azelf using explosion(his azelf was his last pokemon) against my t-tar, who was also my last pokemon, obviously, I thought the Self-KO clause(as most standar rules) was turned on by default, but I realized theres no self-ko clause on shoddy, could you change that?

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Ummm.....I dont know if it has happened to any of you.....but I think the self-ko clause is active. I think I lost once because of my opponents Azelf using explosion(his azelf was his last pokemon) against my t-tar, who was also my last pokemon, obviously, I thought the Self-KO clause(as most standar rules) was turned on by default, but I realized theres no self-ko clause on shoddy, could you change that?
Self-KO Clause is not a standard rule but I think it should be added to challenges for special tournaments and battles that may be going on, but not to ladder.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Gir!
I think I saw that they were planing to add in the possibility to draw a game, which would solve your issue.

Something that has (I think) not been mentioned before, how about being able to have a "blank slot"? Ingame you can bring as few as one Pokemon into a match, and with 2v2 being included the normal tactic of using Protect/Burn Orb Sheddy could possibly affect the match (Sheddy could be sent in before a winner is decided).

Before that I'd like to see some analyses for Little Cup pokemon on Smogon. Listing one moveset for each eligible pokemon in one long article teaches next to nothing.
Its something the LCF is working on. We have many analysis, and plan to offer them to Smogon again when we have enough. And this is not the place for LC discussion really, if people want a LC ladder it is something to bring up at a later stage and with different people. Colin can't add a LC ladder to SU, and nor will he try.

As for the Alts/rating reset thing... I think you should be able to have some way to reset your ladder ratings, without it its hard to get a decent ladder score if you lost quite a lot when starting out. Yes your volatility does rise, but if you lose a lot then improve significantly on a single account it will be very hard to reach your true score.

hmm... I doubt its a priority at all, but many Pokemon have illegal moves or movesets speciic too lower levels (see here for those for LC elegible Pokemon at Lv. 5 as an example). Implementing this for all Pokemon at all levels would be needlessly complecated (even though it would be technically more true to the game), but could you allow for servers to include a clause that blocks move combinations specified from a separate list from the usual one? I know this is largely a server side issue, but maybe it could be something to keep in mind when setting up how illegal move combos are blocked?

Another very, very minor thing related to levels is that some Pokemon can't be obtained below a specific level. In normal play this rarely matters (with the odd Clefable needing to be Lv. 2 not Lv. 1), but in some later update it could be an idea to keep perfectly in line with the games.

Edit: Its great to see you guys working with Smogon, great that you're going for another massive project. Its also cool that you are taking suggestions.

Thanks for basically making DP Competitive Pokemon possible :)

I love that you guys are remaking it. I would simply like to ask that you input every item and move on this one. I'm not sure if there are any missing but i'm sure Quick Claw still isn't there.

I love that you guys are remaking it. I would simply like to ask that you input every item and move on this one. I'm not sure if there are any missing but i'm sure Quick Claw still isn't there.
Well, I know some moves/items are missing, but as for Quick Claw, I'm guessing that's not in SB1 because it's considered a hax item. Is there even a hax item clause on SB1? I just never really pay attention to the clauses much anymore. Always doing ladder matches, so the clauses are what you get. And as for certain moves like Fling, and other moves I've came across, or in this case, not came across, are not in there.

If you're trying to be really creative with combo's and stuff, then I've noticed some moves are not on SB1 and it was the reason that I had to test it out on Wi-Fi with the move. For example, I tried to run a Fling Kecleon, to be a Sp.Def Wall/Trick Rooming UU switch-in to a Trick Choice Scarf Rotom. The trick was for it to trick my Kecleon with the C-Scarf, and I fling it off my Kecleon and do some damage to Rotom or whatever switched in on me.

Thought the idea would work, but of course there was no Fling move to teach to it, so there went that idea. Not the best idea, but I suppose it's because the move Fling is hardly used, so I assume it wasn't put on for that very reason. I'm not stating a move that's never used on Wi-Fi or reg game play isn't added to SB1 just for that reason, just saying that Fling isn't a competitive move so it's probably why it wasn't really added to SB1.

~ Aether Nexus

Well, I know some moves/items are missing, but as for Quick Claw, I'm guessing that's not in SB1 because it's considered a hax item. Is there even a hax item clause on SB1?
Move priority was/is weird. This is why Stall/Lagging Tail/ect are not programmed as well

Also, Fling had not been programmed yet, but I am sure that it will be included in Shoddy 2. (Actually, NUmbah214 programmed code for Fling, but it hasn't been added yet)

Cathy

Banned deucer.
Well, I know some moves/items are missing, but as for Quick Claw, I'm guessing that's not in SB1 because it's considered a hax item.
This isn't the case. Quick Claw is just a complicated item, and this is the only reason it was not in Shoddy Battle 1. However, Quick Claw and all similar items and abilities (e.g. Stall) have been handled easily in Shoddy Battle 2.

No items that have an in-battle effect will be missing from Shoddy Battle 2.

Oh man, I'm so excited for this!

I really am going to have to second just two points, as most of the other stuff is just going to be an upgrade from shoddy 1 anyway ( That is the point of calling it shoddy 2 right? )

Add an Option to Reset your Ladder ranking. All in all it just seems it would decrease the use of alt accounts, as people will not make a new account just to ladder with a different time. But also let people who aren't doing so hot, restart from scratch without having to make a new account. Maybe limit this function so it can only be done like one every 12/24 hours or something to prevent spammage.

Secondly, I have to second ( :D ) that your timer not be displayed for your opponent, after playing a bunch of matches depending on how quickly a person selects their move can really help in determining what they are going to do mid - late game once you've gotten a feel for how they play. It's just a minor knitpicky thingy, but it does influence my decisions more or less.

Gmax

kuahahahaha
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Wow, this sounds like it'll be really great! The main issues I had with Shoddy were

1) That sometimes when I clicked the Undo button, and selected a new move, my old move would go through on the current turn and the one I selected AFTER clicking Undo would be autoset as my next move.

2) Not being able to resume a battle after disconnecting.

3) The chat scrolling back down to the bottom every time someone spoke.

They've all been addressed though, so yeah, I'm really excited to hear about this! I'd also like to thank you for putting in so much effort into improving Shoddy and also lending a ear to everyone's opinions. Kudos to both Bearzly and Colin for all their hard work!

- Sometimes, for me, when in a battle, I can't access the bar to go up and down the log, since the screen isn't big enough, and I can't magnify it. I'm using a Mac, though.

- Speaking of which, it would be nice to have the entire game log available, not just the last X turns.

- Another nice option would be to know, when looking at the list of ongoing battles, what tier they are for. (OU, UU, Ubers, unrated, NU, LC, etc.) This would be great for spectators. I agree on the no-spectator rule (it probably can't be implemented on the ladder, though), and people choosing this rule would not have their battle listed on the battle list. Another option would be for spectators to ask to enter a battle, and both players would have to say yes.

- And maybe you could have a default team for each tier, not one for all.

I'm excited to this new ShoddyBattle, and I hope to see it soon.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This has already been mentioned. Around the 2nd page, I think Caelum thought of it first, and I quoted him as well with it being a good idea. Later on when Bearzly replied to my suggestions along with some others, he did mention that SB1, and SB2 are for competitive play, and what'd be the point of resetting your rating score/records when those are what show your skill/level of playing competitively on the server. As much as I liked the idea, I suppose it is kind of true.

~ Aether Nexus
For example, when you change your team or come back from a long time. The way the rating system works makes it very hard for your rating to change after a certain point, to the point where it would take significantly less time to reset to get to the same deviation / rating.

Can there be a "Request Draw" button?

I'd love to see a Littlecup ladder on the main server.
This has nothing to do with the Shoddy Battle software.

I'm not sure if this is even possible but:

How about something to disallow people to be paired up on the ladders (not private challenges), if they have the same IP? This would stop people from fighting themselves to get higher on the ladder.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey, a few friends of mine enjoy Double Battling, will that be a feature?

Thanks.
Read the OP please.

How about something to disallow people to be paired up on the ladders (not private challenges), if they have the same IP? This would stop people from fighting themselves to get higher on the ladder.
This should help deter the laziest of cheaters, which is nice. Can we have something preventing you from rebattling the last person you faced on the ladder again, so no one gets ToFed?

I believe there is already a way of stopping this. Many people, including myself, have tried this one day when it came up on the server. It didn't work quite as well as we thought. Then again, there are ways which I shouldn't say of how this can work. So it's best we leave it at that. I'm sure Colin and Bearzly have come across certain problems like these, and I'm sure they have some sort of filter to negate such a thing.

~ Aether Nexus

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Can we have something preventing you from rebattling the last person you faced on the ladder again, so no one gets ToFed?
However on less active ladders it would be a total mess. Making it so the ladder waits a few seconds to find you a new opponent then if none are available pairs you with whoever is around would be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)