Shoddy Battle 2 (the future of Shoddy Battle)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearzly

Shoddy Battle dev
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Lord Blood, you had some good ideas but several of them were mentioned elsewhere already

• Switch tab info - Most of these will be there, however total stats will probably be used in lieu of showing base stats and EVs too
  • More ladders - Ladders will be on a server to server basis, not as part of the core of Shoddy Battle
  • Unrated - The unrated finding will be changing (see other posts)
  • Timers - Will be customisable
  • End of battle AFK - not a bad idea
  • Spectators - Disallowing spectators will be there, how the battle list will be arranged is yet to be decided
  • Italicize issue - not sure what the issue is, but since this is a rewrite it should be gone
  • Sprites - it would probably be possible to allow for other sprite packages, however, I'm not convinced that it is worth it

No one seems to have responded to my comments on page 4. I'd like someone to review what I wrote. Thanks. :nerd:
1) It was quite long, so I'm sure many people skipped it and said "I'll just read it later" and never got back to it. But I suppose big posts are better than little little one's. 2) Mainly everything you asked for/said has been said previously or soon after your post and was commented on already and moved on with. Unless you can find something you posted that I missed, that I'm sure someone else, Colin, Bearzly, or I (lol I sound like the 3rd creator of SB by saying that) can comment on it if it hasn't already been looked at/commented on and discussed about already. Edit: 3) Bearzly seems to have already replied. Darn, I post too slow. D:

Move priority was/is weird. This is why Stall/Lagging Tail/ect are not programmed as well

Also, Fling had not been programmed yet, but I am sure that it will be included in Shoddy 2. (Actually, NUmbah214 programmed code for Fling, but it hasn't been added yet)
Alright, thanks for the tip/update, RBG.

Edit: Also, since you posted in your reply "but it hasn't been added yet" does this mean it wont be added to SB1 and will just be added to SB2 when it comes out later on? Or just adding such things to SB1 now would be quite useless because months from now SB2 will make SB1 old, outdated and obsolete in comparison.

This isn't the case. Quick Claw is just a complicated item, and this is the only reason it was not in Shoddy Battle 1. However, Quick Claw and all similar items and abilities (e.g. Stall) have been handled easily in Shoddy Battle 2.

No items that have an in-battle effect will be missing from Shoddy Battle 2.
So with this stated, does this mean you are inputting or working on putting all moves/items into SB2? Or at least will try to accomplish such a task down the line of a few weeks/months when SB2 is in beta form and is still being worked on? So moves such as Fling, and items like Quick Claw will be added, is mainly what I'm trying to ask here.

Also, a few questions of my own:

1) Will SB2 be in a beta form weeks/months from now and ready to be downloaded and later updates will be installed onto it when loading it up? Or do you download the newer version and it'll update your current installment, kind of like on IM clients when they have a 6.02 version and you last downloaded the 6.0 version. (This is generally a question for me to know about SB1 as well.)

2) Say SB2 wasn't to be introduced to the public in a beta form, would we download SB2 when it's a little more updated than in a beta stage and comes out a bit later but more versatile and upgraded?

3) Will SB2 be the same method as logging in as SB1? Such as clicking on SB2's icon, loading it up, going to the server you want (and is there only going to be one server? The Smogon University server, or will be there more like D&D's CAP server and other peoples like Team Uber, official server, etc?) and logging in/registering? Or will there be some new kind of method?

Hope these questions are not too early to ask as for right now. Thanks in advance.

~ Aether Nexus

Cathy

Banned deucer.
The first post clearly says to expect nothing to be released until September at the earliest.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, a feature I'd like to see would be more time between your rating going down. As everybody knows, your rating will decrease if you don't ladder, but I really would rather having a longer time before it starts to decrease. I live in Australia, and I frequent the CAP server as much as i can, but due to timezone differences, when i get home from school there's pretty much me and the bot(and some afk people). So yeah, if this could be implemented(mabye some like 3-5 days or mabye a week) I'm sure it would help me and a number of other users.

Though we would like to have support for the old generations, they all require a lot of work to get working. For example RBY is downright buggy, and overall it would be a lot of work to get any of them (aside from advance maybe) to work.

I mentioned this in my mega post - it's due to a bug with the java component and we are trying to fix it now that Doug has pointed it out to us.
Does this thing about not having support for older generations mean you won't be able to select older pokemon for your team in the team builder, and only be able to select DP pokemon?

The ability to implement scripts onto servers for things like the NB RPGs would be nice. I liked just messing around on those, they can be fun if you want a break.

Cathy

Banned deucer.
There were already bots on Shoddy Battle 1. I am pretty sure Doug even had one running on Smogon. I can promise bots for Shoddy Battle 2 too because it doesn't take any code to add "bots". A bot is just a client that isn't controlled by a human.

Just a quick question: will self-KO clause be enforced on Shoddy 2?
Self-KO clause will probably be available but whether it should be a standard rule ("enforced") is not part of the program. It's a bad rule though except in elimination tournaments. What we will have for sure is correct endgame mechanics in general, so draws will happen when they should.

And... for me team builder needs 100% of a update for a team building more faster and easily.

The battles too need more "easily" and "faster", for this, a revamp in the graphics are needed.

^^

Suggestions

I know my fourm stats say i have only been here for a day.
But I've been using S.B 1 for almost half a year.
And when i played it i naturealy wanted my friends to play of course they wouldn'y play for more then a week because it didn't fel like plaing pokemon.
So to attract more players you should make it more like the games. like...

1. when a shiny pokemon comes out, have the little shimmer go around them.
2. Have the pokemon say there cry when they come out, even the little graphic with the pokeball would be cool.
3. maybe have the moves have animations? in my opinion it makes the battle more intence.

most of it is just little add-ons that could have an option to be turned off but a little goes a long way ^^

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Perhaps you could do an autojoin function? Call me lazy, but it would be more convenient if a server just popped up as soon as I opened Shoddy. Would that be possible?

There were already bots on Shoddy Battle 1. I am pretty sure Doug even had one running on Smogon. I can promise bots for Shoddy Battle 2 too because it doesn't take any code to add "bots". A bot is just a client that isn't controlled by a human.
By bot I mean a computer you can play against so you can test teams without harming you score. If thats what you meant how do you use them?

1. when a shiny pokemon comes out, have the little shimmer go around them.
2. Have the pokemon say there cry when they come out, even the little graphic with the pokeball would be cool.
3. maybe have the moves have animations? in my opinion it makes the battle more intence.
I think the issue with that is that it would be time consuming, necessitating programing for every move animation in the game, and generally is thought to be useless in competitive play. I sympathize, but I think you're asking for something that's just not going to happen. I would, however love to see, or rather hear, some optional battle music, which would be a lot easier to add in and much less distracting to the purpose of shoddy battle.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
By bot I mean a computer you can play against so you can test teams without harming you score. If thats what you meant how do you use them?
That's already possible. Pokemonexperte for example has BattleBot, which actually battles. A bot can be used for many purposes.

If you want this, just get out your Nintendo DS and go to the Battle Tower.
Actually I don't own a copy of Diamond, Pearl or Platinum, nor do I have the money to buy it. Which is why I was wondering if the option was available. Also it would be great if you could kick a spectator out after they'd enter just in case they decided to start being douches

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh, sorry I realise that was a bit vague. I mean the problem where a lot of users are unable to accept random challenges. They click accept, and the box disappears and nothing happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)