Shoddy Battle Gym League

Status
Not open for further replies.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
ooh can i have ghost please despite my noobness? this sounds awesome. if not that then water.

I would love to sign up for Ground type.

Also, is there going to be some kind of limitation on what you can be challenged with? I mean, if I take ground, is it going to be ok for someone to challenge me with nothing but water type Pokemon? I'm still in either way, just curious.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I would love to sign up for Ground type.

Also, is there going to be some kind of limitation on what you can be challenged with? I mean, if I take ground, is it going to be ok for someone to challenge me with nothing but water type Pokemon? I'm still in either way, just curious.
I think it would be a nice test of our abilities and ingenuity if we managed to beat teams with a major type advantage over ours on a regular basis. My mono-bug team (the Advance version, at least) used to be able to beat mono-fires and mono-rocks consistently.

Speaking of my mono-bug team, I'd like to see what someone with a fresh perspective comes up with, so I'm happy to leave the mono-bug honor to OldSchoolNub. But I'll take mono-electric - it needs some love.

I think it would be a nice test of our abilities and ingenuity if we managed to beat teams with a major type advantage over ours on a regular basis. My mono-bug team (the Advance version, at least) used to be able to beat mono-fires and mono-rocks consistently.

Speaking of my mono-bug team, I'd like to see what someone with a fresh perspective comes up with, so I'm happy to leave the mono-bug honor to OldSchoolNub. But I'll take mono-electric - it needs some love.
That makes sense. I can imagine the gratification it would bring to beat a team that has every advantage available to it.

On a side note, is it going to be strictly 6 ground type, or maybe 5 ground type plus one other Pokemon that knows ground type moves? Either way, I'm still in, just curious!

I think this could be fun, if moderated by someone organized and people that are known users and active on smogon are the gym leaders.

on that note.

ill tak anything I dont really care.

If its still open I'd like mono-ice.

Also, why is there an ubers gym leader? Will all the matches be OU, but on the ubers one the challenger is allowed to use ubers as well?

EDIT: It looks like everything's taken. Damn.

I'm going to sign up jibaku for ubers because it's probably something he would do and he's best suited for it. If he has enough time to clone all those jirachis, he definitely has time for this.

I believe all 6 have to be water. Mono teams.

Also I called water xD

Water mono is so easy even a Discord could do it.

Hehe, after finding Shoddy I was thinking of showing it to the small league I found, and suggesting using that instead... then this shows up on Smogon, and I can think is "X.X XD"

But no, on a more serious note, in one thread coordination of something resembling a league will be impossible... It can give rise to the coalescion of a true league, and by that I mean a league with rules laid down that entices challengers to come and try their luck with their team, and some form of reward to ensure that their hard work, if they indeed were to beat the entire league. By the entire league, I mean that I'm thinking of something along the lines of an 8-Gym E4 + Champion kinda deal.

Actually, now that I think about it, an 8-gym badge deal to get to challenge an elite four trainers would work a lot better in a place like Smogon... like in the anime, there are more badges than just the video game gym badges Ash won. There could be anywhere between 8 to 16 gyms, and not always limited by type... (such as a rain team, etc.)

And speaking of the type... just think back to the gym leaders of DP you had to beat, they were using types other than their gym's, weren't they? Having a mono-type team means that it becomes that much easier to beat a gym leader if a weak point is hit and exploited, such as SR vs a Flying or Bug gym. The rules we used at our small league was that a gym leader had to have 4 pokemon of their type, then the other two are of their choice. (For example, I picked Fighting and had a moderately successful team of Swampert, Hariyama, Gallade, Breloom, Lucario, and Garchomp.) So then in this model, dragontamer's Wallrein team could be considered a fully legitimate Ice Gym. And once a leader became an Elite 4 member, this restriction was reduced to 3 pokemon of their type (Borrowing off DP's E4 Flint, three of his weren't fire-type...). This enables a leader's team to be that much more harder to beat, and therefore more of an accomplishment to have beaten said gym.

The trick to our league was that the rule for challengers was that their team could not be changed; they must try to best the league with a single team. However, with Smogon, that might be next to impossible. And so, half taking from the anime and half taking from own dream of team modularity, I propose that for all challengers, the challenger may swap one pokemon of his or her team out for another after winning a gym badge, so as to allow the challenger some degree of preparation before fighting another gym leader.

And of course, with a league setup such as this, certain teams would not be allowed to become gyms. Ubers and doubles teams would not work. Ubers, because of obvious reasons, and doubles because Shoddy does not support double battles as of yet. Once that does happen, because the doubles metagame is so different from singles, another doubles league could be set up, although how successful that would be I don't know... it might not go over too well, but it could also increase the number of doubles teams and double battles being fought, allowing for more double-metagame development.

Ah, but by this point I feel like I'm rambling on, so I'll just shut up and let you all ponder what I have said... certainly, I am too inexperienced to hold a position in such a league, but if this league becomes popular, if my words had even a marginal part in its creation, then I will be happy.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
A Battle Frontier was actually tried out on Smogon prior to DP's release in the US. The top veterans would represent the various BF leaders - the Luck Symbol, for example, was a best-of-three Challenge Cup against Vineon. (Or was it Jumpman16?)

I'm not sure why it failed, but it may have had something to do with the fact that there was no way to host a reliable server on Netbattle anymore, since they were often under DoS attacks, or EeveeTrainer kept hosting fake Smogon servers... the list goes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)