Signal Beam or Shadow Ball (Alakazam)

Since both Shadow Ball and Psychic from Alakazam 2HKO Rotom, its not like Shadow Ball is needed to hit ghosts. It's essentially the same story with Dusknoir. Psychic + Fighting + Bug is perfect coverage just like Psychic + Fighting + Ghost is, so you can't really argue that Shadow Ball gives better coverage. Overall, I think being able to OHKO Celebi and the ability to finish off weakened Dark types without risking 30% death makes Signal Beam the superior choice.
Well put it made me understand Signal Beams purpose.
~Star Fox

How does Shadow Ball offer more coverage? Focus Blast+Psychic+Signal Beam also hits everything neutral
hmm, well in terms of super effective coverage, 3, ghost hits two. In terms of non effective, bug is non effective on 5 types, while ghost is only non effective on 3

I'd personally run Signal beam/Psychic/Focus Blast/Trick
Shadow ball may provide nice extra power and a chance of a special defence drop, but Signal Beam hits Celetar and dark types without compromising accuracy with no chance of over predicting while Psychic and Focus blast cover just about everything else.

Agreeing with Legacy Raider, they both give perfect type coverage. Signal Beam is useful for Darks because you don't want to risk the miss of Focus Blast with a frail Alakazam. STAB Psychic and a Super-effective Shadow Ball are only different by 10 BP so you might as well have Signal Beam for a more accurate way to hurt Darks and you still have a good move for Psychics, especially Celebi. Also, you don't have worry about over-predicting.

Honestly, I prefer Psychic / HP Fire / Focus Blast / Grass Knot (maybe Charge Beam or Trick somewhere). Signal Beam and Focus Blast get mixed coverage but being able to hit steels is crucial, and so does Shadow Ball and Psychic (like against Gengar). So I'd just drop them both (SB and SB) for some more elemental coverage against Scizor switch ins and Gyarados or Swampert.

Of course it all depends on your team what you need but I would use shadow ball simply because of the superior coverage

I personally prefer Signal Beam on Zam because it takes care of Celebi and other Psychics and also hits Darks with better accuracy than Focus Blast.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yes if you had Focus Blast and had to choose between Shadow Ball or Signal Beam for your one other attack, Shadow Ball is usually the best bet. However, you have Psychic on Alakazam, and that's your main attack. "Hitting everything neutral" really doesn't matter when Psychic will hit the neutral stuff harder. What you really want is the best coverage on things you can't hit at least neutral with Psychic (unless you have a move that gives a specific KO against a problem Pokemon).

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
One great reason to use Signal Beam over Shadow Ball is to make it harder for Alakazam to be doomed by a Tyranitar and Weavile switch-in followed by Pursuit. This is like why Specs Starmie may use Grass Knot over Psychic.

Psychic/Bug/Fighting hits everything for neutral damage par Shedinja, of course. Bugs poor coverage aside, Shadow Ball is neccesery to outpredict Ghost switch-ins, expecially ones with Pursuit, such as Banette or even Dusknoir. Besides, what will you do against Medicham and Gallade?

Psychic already 2HKOs all the ghosts except Spiritomb, that was already covered. Shadow Ball is for hitting Psychic resists, such as other Psychic types.

Signal Beam hits Dark and Psychic.
Shadow Ball hits Ghost and Psychic.
Psychic destroys all the Ghosts already.

Therefore, Shadow Ball is not needed. Signal Beam is better because it eases prediction, and helps against Pursuit users.

Psychic/Bug/Fighting hits everything for neutral damage par Shedinja, of course. Bugs poor coverage aside, Shadow Ball is neccesery to outpredict Ghost switch-ins, expecially ones with Pursuit, such as Banette or even Dusknoir. Besides, what will you do against Medicham and Gallade?
Yeah, let's worry about the non STAB pursuits as opposed to the STAB pursuit users. Specs Shadow Ball doesn't even OHKO a min/min Gallade ffs.

Why would you run BP on a (semi)BoltBeam set (unless you have a berry)?

Use both, of course.
So you can dry-BP out of all the million things in this game that stomp Jolteon into the ground. Shadow Ball + Signal Beam is largely redundant coverage, whereas a dry BP gives you some utility.

I would say Signal Beam, based on the fact that it hits normal types. If someone predicts a Shadow Ball and swaps in a normal type to take it, they still get hit by Signal Beam instead.

I think Signal Beam is the better choice overall due to you not having to worry as much about switch-ins on things immune to it that think they can setup on you which makes you better in out-prediction. But there are definitely more valuable choices to fill a slot with like Calm Mind or if you're feeling risky, Focus Blast.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
signal beam is better because since it hits darks you can use something more reliable to hit steels such as hp fire or ground, this is especially true for all out attacking sets, or choice sets

EDIT: just read all this junk about neutrality, if your wanting to hit neutral use psyhic :\

Personally, I say Signal Beam is superior to Shadow Ball on Alakazam. Despite the lower base power, it has better accuracy, and unlike Shadow Ball, nothing is immune to it. Also, the OHKO on Celebi is important.

Alakazam is fragile, so why recommend a move that misses 30% of the time and leaves it wide open for a KO? Signal Beam is a superior option on 'Zam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)