Simple Minded

INTRODUCTION

The first day I joined competive gameplay, I knew it wasn't going to be easy. Boy was I correct. After hours and hours of work on one team, it seemed as if I could never get it right. It was then that I relized I needed help. I have tried my best to create the best team I could alone. Now I ask this commutity to help me on my journy to the top.​

NOTE
Each color metions a differnt change. If a change effects another pokemon, it will be in the same color. Also, when I say "Or" and list a differnt set, I prefer for you to tell me which might be better, and list some flaws from the set you didn't choose.​

ABOUT THE TEAM

This is is a semi-stall team with two sweepers, one revenge killer, and three defensive walls. My main plan is to send out the sweepers as a lead to try and see what my oppnent's answer is to them. Then I proceed to try and kill the speific pokemon(s) that came out. My revenge killer is there in case something goes wrong and I need to kill something, or anything, quickly. If the death of my pokemon wasn't too important, I would simply send out one of my walls.​

Lets look at the pokemon of my team now, shall we? How about the sweepers go first.​

LATIAS [NOTE: I AM THINKING OF REPLACING THIS POKEMON. There is always a pokemon that feels distant, and Latias is it. Ground types seem to kill me without even thinking, so somone have a good idea of a pokemon that can replace this dragon?)

@Leftovers
Nature: Modest
252 HP/252 Spe/4 Spa
-Calm mind
-Recover
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam

In most cases, this pokemon is my lead. If Latias is pared up nicly with her oppnent, I would use a calm mind in case one of my two attacks supereffects anything that switches in. The reason I use Latias over Latios is because of her natural bulk allowing her to take hits easier while she sets up for a sweep. When Latias comes back into the battle, I mostly fire of an attack that would hurt the oppnents counter, or simply switch to a pokemon that defeats her counter.
The first move I had to put on this set is Calm Mind to make her even more bulkier while giving her a greater Special attack to kill with. Recover is a perfect move to go along. While the oppnent tries to attack, I can keep making my defenses stronger while recovering up the damage. Boltbeam is a simple combo to hit anything that comes in.
OR (As suggested by people)
-Calm Mind
-Substuite
-Dragon Pulse
-Recover
Since my Latias is a late-game sweeper I could see this happening with Heatran taking out the steel types. Other than that, my other set is mainly to hope whatever comes in is suppereffective and then attack it with a corresponding move.

VIRIZION

@Leftovers
Nature: Native (Changed from Jolly since it was hurting HP Ice)
252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
-Swords Dance
-Hidden power Ice
-Close combat (Switch for Sacred Sword?)
- Leaf Blade
This pokemon is mostly a glue to my team. I felt as if I needed an offensive grass type to counter some water pokemon. Went on smogen, found this sucker and I loved him at first sight. The stragey is simple. Switch into a resitant move, if the oppnent has no counter use swords dance, and then wreak havork on anything that comes in. Thanks to his natural speed, and the extra EV's, this man can outpace most pokemon.
Swords dance is the main move of the set. It turns this cute little deer, into a wild moose. After one turn, Virizion can KO walls relitivly easily. Hidden Power Ice is to hit dragons and oppsing Ice types. Close combat is a great STAb move. Sadly, it lowers defence which scares me wince I prefer this thing to be out on the feild as long as it can. Sacred Sword ignores stat changes to the oppnent, but the power differnce is to great in my option. Leaf blade is the second STAB move.
Lets look to our revenge killer.

HEATRAN

@Coice Specs (Should switch to scarf?) (If switched to flame charge, then life orb, or air balloon?)
Nature: Modest
252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
-Overheat
-Flamethrower (Switch to Stealth Rock or Will-o-Wisp?) (Or switch to Flame Charge for the speed?)
-Hidden Power Ice
-Earth Power

This pokemon is mainly my revenge killer, or fire asorber. For a revenge killer, I simply switch into the pokemon, use overheat to hurt something, and then simply siwtch. For a fire asorber, I switch into a predicted fire attack. I then double switch to see the oppnents counter. In some cases I may use Earth Power or Hidden Power Ice if I know that thier counter is weak to either.
In a nutshell, this is a hit and run.
This is the most simple set of a choice scarf Heatran. I'm just using a Choice Specs because I find the sets very similar, and this set is the one I would've picked anyway if I say the Choice Specs set first. Overheat is the main attack. It WILL hurt anything that's not resitant. Flamethrower is there for a filler move. I use it for late-game when I don't want a SpAtk drop. It is also there in case I need to save overheat. Sadly, what I have found is that I rarly use flamethrower. I never seem to run out of OVerheat PP, and for late game I ussally bring in Latias or Virizon to finsh the job. I find that Stealth Rock may be a better option because it's an easy set-up. Toxic, or Will-o-Wisp is usefull to spread status around. Hidden Power Ice is for dragons or ground types that may switch in. Earth Power is there for opposing Heatrans or simply fire types.
OR (As suggested)
@ Air Balloon (I would prefer leftovers?)
Calm
252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
-Lava Plume
-Toxic (Switch to Will-o-Wisp or Sub?)
-HP Ice
-Stealth Rock
I can see this being used. I havn't tried it just yet. With this I can imagine I bring Heatran on a fire attack, setting off Stealth Rocks, using either Toxic, Will-o-Wisp or Sub on anyhting that comes in, and then attack if it's not too big of a risk. Lava Plume would be to burn. The second moveslot isn't set in stone yet. HP Ice to hit ground and dragon. Stealth rock For something nice.

Finally, our three walls.
First up is...

JELLICENT

@Leftovers
Nature: Bold
248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe (Truthfully, I have no idea why the EV spread is like this. SOmone explain it please.)
-Recover
-Night Shade (Switch for Taunt?)
-Will-o-Wisp
-Scald
This is my spinblocker. It works great against any rapid spinner (Even starmie with Thunderbolt) This pokemon comes in on a fire/water type. uses will-o-wisp to cripple something, and then witches out to a pokemon more suited to take on whatever came in. If the a starmie with thunderbolt comes in, I simply burn then and recover and damage done later on. When the crippled starmie comes back, I can stall. A starmie with Thunder is another story. I would switch to Blissy and let it rapid spin, then kill it later on in the match.
Recover is the main move. It lets Jellicent live as long as it freakin wants as long as it's usefull. Night shade is there to hist presky vaporeons, although taunt would help better. Night shade is also there to hit anything for more than scald may hit and so I'm not completly walled by other water types. Will-o-Wisp is to cripple anything that switches into Jellicent, and to spread status. Scald is a nice STAB move that also has a good chance for a burn.

FORRETRESS

@Leftovers
Nature: Relaxed.
0 Spe IV
252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
-Stealth Rock (If Heatran switches to Stealth Rock, switch to, Earthquake or Volt Switch?)
-Spikes
-Rapid Spin
-Gyro Ball
This man is awesome. I can easily come in to a resitant move, use a move depending on the situation. Then simply switch out into a counter to what came in.
Rapid Spinning anything is the first pirority. Then Stealth Rock, then either Spikes or Gyro ball depending what pokemon might come in.

Last but not least...

CHANSEY

@Evolite
Nature: Bold
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
-Wish
-Protect
-Seismic Toss
-Counter
This is my "SURPRIZE!" Blissy. I come into any attack. If I fighting type comes in, I ussally go to jellicent to check if he's bulking up or attack. If he bulks, then I switch to Jellicent anytime it comes in. If it attacks, then next time Blissy is out, I would use counter instead to KO the pokemon. This seems to work very well against dragonite, who otherwise would be a problem to my team. ON any other physical type, I would either switch if I have a much better counter, or just use the move counter.
Wish is the stable fo this intire team. It helped me win battles too often. Protect is to make sure chancy gets her wish, and to scout the oppnents move. Seismic toss is for SpAtkers. Counter is to KO any phsical.
I relize Gengar totally walls this set. I'm also thinking of switching to a regular Blissy with leftovers.

END NOTE
ANYTHING would help. I don't care how you critzize as long as you help. Please dont tell me to switch or remove pokemon unless you think I have too (Not counting Blissy/Chancy thing). Anyways, Thanks for reading.
P.S, If possible, please ignore spelling mistakes. English is not my native tounge.​

BTzz

spams overhand rights
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hello,

Pretty cool semi stall team you have here, I got a couple of suggestions. On Virizion, change it's nature to Naive. Jolly is just weakening HP Ice right now.

For Latios I recommend the standard CM set with Roar and Dragon Pluse over Bolt-Beam. This does a couple things for your team. Roar can work in tandem with all you hazards by stacking up residual damage and it can also prevent the likes of Reuniclus from setting up to many Calm Minds along side you.

I also recommend changing you current set to a Specially Deffensive Heatran. |Heatran @ Air Balloon | Calm | 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd | Lava Plume | Toxic | HP Ice | Stealth Rock | Since you have no reliable ways of dealing with Excarill I advise you use Air Balloon on your set. With this Heatran you can now make the changes you mentioned on Forretress. I would use Toxic Spikes since this is such a stallish team.

You could try running Shed Shell on Forretress. This gives you some ensurance against those Dragon+Magnezone teams. Also if you decide you use Heal Bell on Chansey you can try running Rest on Forretress to make up for the loss of Lefties.

Finally as mentioed earlier, I recommend using Heal Bell on your Chansey over Counter. If Latias or Virizion get poisoned, they're pretty much useless.

gl!

Hello,

Pretty cool semi stall team you have here, I got a couple of suggestions. On Virizion, change it's nature to Naive. Jolly is just weakening HP Ice right now.

For Latios I recommend the standard CM set with Roar and Dragon Pluse over Bolt-Beam. This does a couple things for your team. Roar can work in tandem with all you hazards by stacking up residual damage and it can also prevent the likes of Reuniclus from setting up to many Calm Minds along side you.

I also recommend changing you current set to a Specially Deffensive Heatran. |Heatran @ Air Balloon | Calm | 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd | Lava Plume | Toxic | HP Ice | Stealth Rock | Since you have no reliable ways of dealing with Excarill I advise you use Air Balloon on your set. With this Heatran you can now make the changes you mentioned on Forretress. I would use Toxic Spikes since this is such a stallish team.

You could try running Shed Shell on Forretress. This gives you some ensurance against those Dragon+Magnezone teams. Also if you decide you use Heal Bell on Chansey you can try running Rest on Forretress to make up for the loss of Lefties.

Finally as mentioed earlier, I recommend using Heal Bell on your Chansey over Counter. If Latias or Virizion get poisoned, they're pretty much useless.

gl!
Thanks for the advice.
I changed the nature to Naive.
The reason I don't run roar and dragon pulse is because I find that there are way to many steel types in this game. I can try that set though and see how it works.

ON the heatran, I was thinking of replaces Toxic with Will-o-Wisp, so I wouldn't run into any problems with Jellicent having Will-o-Wisp.
Or heck, no status moves and have subsitute instead of Toxic.

Also, I am not good at air balloons, so I would prefer to run the hetran with Leftovers.

Also, I find that after ferroseed is done setting up, it is mainly a fodder.
Thinking about it, with lava plume, scald, and will-o-wisp, Toxic Spikes may get in the way status.

As for shed shell, With volt switch instead of Toxic Spikes, would it have trouble against magnezone?

For Chancy, I was thinking heal bell. The problem is that counter got me so Many KO's in many battles, and wish helps me use heatran, anything longer.

I've heard a lot about how a latias with calm mind, recover, substitute and dragon pulse can cause serious trouble for the opponent. While it hides behind a substitute, Latias is immune to status, can heal up, stat boost and be more difficult to revenge kill.(If you switch out, even pursuit will do nothing besides destroy your substitute, which would happen anyway) Dragon pulse has good neutral coverage and is only resisted by steel types, so it is probably your best bet for the single attack. Just a suggestion, but from many of the warstories I've read, it can be difficult to counter.

Anyway, good luck!

Hey there, lemme give you some advice on some things.
First, I don't think Chansey is needed on this team. Jellicent and Forretress form a good combo together. I suggest replacing Chansey for a Wish-passing Jirachi.
It's fire-weakness should be covered by Heatran, so yeah.
It wouls serve as a special wall and annoying haxx spreader.

Jirachi@Leftovers
Careful Nature (+Sp.Def, -Sp.Atk), 252 HP/4 Atk/252 Sp.Def
Serene Grace..
-Wish
-Body Slam
-Iron Head
-Stealth Rock/Fire Punch/Protect

Yeah, i never used Jirachi, as i despise it. But it works well, try the set out. Wish is wish, Body Slam paralyzes, Iron Head flinches and then there's a filler move. SR to lay stuff on the field, fire punch to kill the Steels resisting the other moves, and Protect to scout what the opponent wants to do. You could also use U-turn i guess, or a choice scarf+trick.

This means Jirachi could have SR, and Forry can lay the Toxic Spikes, which are always nice.

I suggest changing a bit Heatrans set to this:
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-HP Ice
-Flame Charge
ability should be Flash Fire and item should be Air Balloon. No Scarf needed, as Flame Charge raises your speed.

I also suggest changing HP Ice on Virizion for Stone Edge, as it won't be hitting much that hard.

Also, Latias's Moveset should imo be like this:
Latias@Life Orb
-Calm Mind
-Recover
-Dragon Pulse
-Surf/Psyshock/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam

this set utilizes the good STAB option Latias has: Dragon Pulse. Recover and CM makes her durable and the last move is a filler, depends on what you want to kill. You could also give it HP Fire.

Hope i helped, Cap'n

EDIT: whoa while i was writing this so many people wrote stuff before me without me seeing it xD

Hey there, lemme give you some advice on some things.
First, I don't think Chansey is needed on this team. Jellicent and Forretress form a good combo together. I suggest replacing Chansey for a Wish-passing Jirachi.
It's fire-weakness should be covered by Heatran, so yeah.
It wouls serve as a special wall and annoying haxx spreader.

Jirachi@Leftovers
Careful Nature (+Sp.Def, -Sp.Atk), 252 HP/4 Atk/252 Sp.Def
Serene Grace..
-Wish
-Body Slam
-Iron Head
-Stealth Rock/Fire Punch/Protect

Yeah, i never used Jirachi, as i despise it. But it works well, try the set out. Wish is wish, Body Slam paralyzes, Iron Head flinches and then there's a filler move. SR to lay stuff on the field, fire punch to kill the Steels resisting the other moves, and Protect to scout what the opponent wants to do. You could also use U-turn i guess, or a choice scarf+trick.

This means Jirachi could have SR, and Forry can lay the Toxic Spikes, which are always nice.

I suggest changing a bit Heatrans set to this:
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-HP Ice
-Flame Charge
ability should be Flash Fire and item should be Air Balloon. No Scarf needed, as Flame Charge raises your speed.

I also suggest changing HP Ice on Virizion for Stone Edge, as it won't be hitting much that hard.

Also, Latias's Moveset should imo be like this:
Latias@Life Orb
-Calm Mind
-Recover
-Dragon Pulse
-Surf/Psyshock/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam

this set utilizes the good STAB option Latias has: Dragon Pulse. Recover and CM makes her durable and the last move is a filler, depends on what you want to kill. You could also give it HP Fire.

Hope i helped, Cap'n

EDIT: whoa while i was writing this so many people wrote stuff before me without me seeing it xD
As for the Jirachi thing, Heatran isn't my 100% answer to fire types due to then carrying a fighting move, or anyhting else for that matter. I prefer not using Jirachi. I don't want another pokemon weak to fire. Also, it's another wall so I might as well have Blissy since it's better.

As for Latias, thanks for the advice. Remeber, it's a late game sweeper. I ussally do not bring it out early game so status isn't a problem.
Since so many people are saying this, I can try out the set and see how it works.

Yeah, blissey passes better wishes, but Rachi has good stats a bit everywhere and can paralyze and flinch a lot too. Depends from what you need. And Heatran is a safe check, switch-in wise, as he's immune with Flas Fire.
Reading back now, i'd definitely go for Dragon Pulse+ HP Fire on Latias.

Yeah, blissey passes better wishes, but Rachi has good stats a bit everywhere and can paralyze and flinch a lot too. Depends from what you need. And Heatran is a safe check, switch-in wise, as he's immune with Flas Fire.
Reading back now, i'd definitely go for Dragon Pulse+ HP Fire on Latias.
Thanks. I will try that set when I can (Away from home computer)
Also, my bad. This is a chancy with evolite which has relitivly decent stats.
I need a better wish passer, thanks for the advice :)

Hiya, I'm not all that knowledgable, so bear with me, alright?

Though it's true that Bolt-Beam does offer nearly perfect neutral coverage, I wouldn't exactly say that it's the best option for Latias, especially considering he already possesses such a wonderful stab option in Dragon Pulse. That backed by either Surf, Hp Fire, Thunderbolt or I suppose Hp Fighting also offers excellent neutral coverage, with the added benefits of stab. However, I don't think that putting him in the lead role would benefit her at all anywho, considering the commonness of both Ferrothorn and Ttar in the lead position, who could basically make complete set-up bait out of Latias. Hypothetically I would say that you should either lead off with Forretress or even Virizion, who can scare off fairly common leads with his potent stab/almost guaranteed possession of either Hp Ice or Stone Edge.

Virizion looks pretty sweet, always been a personal favorite of mine, but I have a couple nitpicks. For instance, Hp Ice is very useful component, but on an SD set I would say that Stone Edge would be preferred. The standard Gliscor isn't going to OHKO you with Ice Fang or Facade, and by now it has dawned on most people that Acorabtics Gliscor is a little too gimmicky. So I would simply pick a variation (SD, CM, I even believe that Work Up Virizion can be run effectively as a late-game sweeper/wallbreaker) and focus on that. Also, unless you greatly fear the opponent's priority, run Hasty over Naive, otherwise you're taking away from his potential of checking Rain-based threats.

Considering the fact that Latias can basically run amuk through your team if given a chance, I would say that a specially bulky 'Tran is the most ideal set for your team. A movepool of Lava Plume/Earth PowerHp Ice/SR would probably fare well enough, since Forretress would really appreciate the available moveslot.

Anywho, standard Jellicent, it's tested, it's effective. Also, if I understand it correctly, the EVs invested allow you to outspeed uninvested base 65's (most notably Scizor) and guarantee maximum physical bulk whilst minimizing damage from hazards, Toxic and the like. But yeah, definitely run Taunt, it's one of the biggest points that allowed him to become one of the most popular spin-blockers in the OU metagame, allowing him to effectively shut-down and stall out the likes of Forretress, Chansey, Blissey, etc.

Anywho, as I mentioned before, I would highly recommend letting Heatran pick up SR and instead run either Volt Switch or EQ to give him a method of dealing with Magnezone, as he is basically your only line of defensive against powerful offensive threats like Haxorus. Well, that or you could simply run Shed Shell, though at that point I would consider Pain Split over SR, as his vitality is key on your team.

Chansey looks fair, though I would suggest Heal Bell over Counter. As mentioned, it would significantly assist you in your matches, as your team does not look like it enjoys Toxic. Otherwise, I don't have much to say, the larger Wishes really seem like they would outweigh the somewhat lower special bulk.

All in all, solid team, looks like fun stuff. However, MixMence would likely have a field day on this team :/ To counteract that, I would suggest running something along the lines of Scarfed Landorus or Hydreigon (I would suggest Latios, but it's too risky to have him get Pursuit trapped early on), who can come in on the appropriate attack and threaten him with either Stone Edge/Hp Ice or Draco Meteor, respectively.

Anywho, good luck and all that, hope I was of some assistance

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)