skarm vs. Nightmare, a D/P Warstory.

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Greetings fellow fans, loyal readers, and internet pedophiles that for some reason linked to this thread instead of ET's posts. This is my first D/P warstory, but I will be stealing the format from some of the ones already posted by SePh, Lupo Aro, and Jibaku instead of coming up with something like I typically do.

At this point our teams aren't the greatest, and have little to no synergy, but I was just going to battle some SPPers anyway to test out a Pokemon I had just finished training today. Nightmare wanted to play me instead, since he rarely plays Single matches. He mentioned something to the effect that his last Single battle was against BLJ at Pokemon Rocks America Boston, in summer 2005. Alright, whatever. I know Nightmare has 50 billion Pokemon trained anyway so this will be a tough fight. It should be noted for my own ego that we had played 2v2 Ubers, JAA style (only with 6 a side), a few weeks earlier with yours truly coming out on top. If that could be considered Nightmare's forte, and I bested him in it, surely he wanted to best me in my own format. We shall see!

The Rules:
  • Wi-Fi set to level 100.
  • Species clause, Sleep clause, and Item clause.
  • No ubers.
  • Evasion ban.

It should be noted by you people that this means OHKOs were allowed, at Nightmare's request.

skarm's team:

Nightmare's team:

For those of you randomly interested: My team's sprites are in the order they were in my slots, whereas the sprites of Nightmare's team are in order of appearance. My disclaimer in this is that while I'm fairly certain this is what happened, I know I'll be missing a few turns here and there by accident. So don't sue.

6-6

I lead off the battle with the annoying Crobat I had designed for the Sinnohdex tournament that Synre, TTS, zerowing, omni, and I competed in. Nightmare sends out a Salamence which of course intimidates my poor Crobat with no physical moves. I wasn't sure what Nightmare would be running here. He plays Double, not Single, and at first I leaned towards him using a mix Salamence for some reason, or a special one. Either way I tried to use Hypnosis right off the bat, which missed, and caused me to get nailed by a Dragon Claw for about 80-85%. That meant the thing was Choice Banded. Oh well. My Black Sludge kicks in and gives me some HP back.

Out goes Salamence and in comes Blissey to face another Hypnosis... which also misses. Yeah, 70%. Okay whatever you say Diamond! I have to switch out to Snorlax to take the assumed Thunder Wave, which it was thankfully and not Sing which I have thusly learned is popular.

Nightmare withdrew Blissey.
Nightmare sent out Salamence.
Salamence's Intimidate cuts Snorlax's attack!
Snorlax used Body Slam!
(33% Damage)

I didn't get the paralyze I was hoping for, but at least his Salamence has some damage. I didn't really have any physical walls to switch anything into, which I realized was a big problem right away. Any bit of damage on Salamence helps, and I regret not bringing my Hippowdon which could set up Stealth Rock and whittle down HP with Sandstream. Ah well. Live and learn. So basically as I've just stated, I'm staring down a Choice Banded Salamence with a paralyzed Snorlax that's attack has fallen. I swap in Gyarados to hit Salamence with an intimidate, and hoping at the same time he's going to Brick Break or something.

Gyarados gets nailed with a Dragon Claw, which after Intimidate only does around 33%. I recover with Leftovers and plot my next move. Once again I am not sure how much Nightmare knows about D/P. Admittedly he's studied it, but as he says he plays Double, and not Single. I Ice Fang on the off chance he doesn't know Gyarados usually packs it, or can pack it.

Nightmare withdrew Salamence.
Nightmare sent out Blissey.
Gyarados used Ice Fang!
(20% Damage)
Blissey was frozen solid!
Gyarados recovered with Leftovers.
Blissey recovered with Leftovers.

I certainly wasn't expecting Nightmare to bring in Blissey to Gyarados, but since I knew it had Thunder Wave, and he had bred a very good Blissey on Emerald some time ago, it was plausible. The freeze was a nice boon, but I was still worried about Thunderbolt. Also of note: Blissey has Leftovers, as if that wasn't expected. I decided to risk it.

Nightmare sent out Lapras.
Gyarados used Dragon Dance!
Gyarados's Attack rose!
Gyarados's Speed rose!

So now I'm presented with a few options. I had this exactly match-up against an SPP random the other week, and it wasn't too pretty. I knew that this Lapras was Nightmare's OHKO user, and the reason he asked for OHKOs to be allowed. However, what variety was it? Sleep Talk? Could it pack Thunderbolt as well as Sheer Cold? I was stuck. I thought about my options, and quite a few briefly went through my mind. None really seemed great.

skarm withdrew Gyarados.
skarm sent out Gallade.
Lapras used Confuse Ray!
Gallade became confused.

Alright, that wasn't what I expected, but it was better than taking damage or a Sheer Cold up the rear. I had selected Gallade since its special defense is good, and it could OHKO Lapras if needed. I select Close Combat, but doh, I hit myself in my own confusion and do around 33% to myself, being Life Orbed. Ugh. Lapras lets Sheer Cold fly, but misses, thankfully enough. There are some Pokemon Gods alive. After this travesty for the evil side, Nightmare switches out Lapras, fearing danger, for Salamence, which hits Gallade with Intimidate, which actually helps me since I slug myself again in confusion, but only do around 20% this time leaving my precious Gallade at 50%. This is the Pokemon I had been wanting to test, but it certainly wasn't going well in its favor!

I obviously can't leave Gallade in against Salamence, and I am very limited in options here for reasons previously explained.

skarm withdrew Gallade.
skarm sent out Gyarados.
Gyarados's Intimidate cuts Salamence's attack.
Salamence used Rock Slide!
But it missed.

Thank god that missed. That I guess makes up for Gallade hitting himself twice in a row, but then again I did freeze his Blissey. Maybe for a chance at redemption, I know full well Nightmare is switching here, and I figure to Blissey like last time Gyarados was on the field. I'm proven correct when I send in Gallade to meet that annoying pink blob, aptly named "ImAWario". I'm sure Stephen is thrilled. 'Eat shit.' I think to myself as I let fly with Close Combat, and do about 50% to Nightmare's Salamence post-Intimidate. That was great, but the flying monstrosity is still alive with around 15% HP, and of course Gallade can't just stick around.

skarm withdrew Gallade.
skarm sent out Crobat.
Salamence used Rock Slide!
Its super effective!
(25% Damage)
Crobat fainted.
skarm sent out Snorlax.

6-5 Nightmare

So I decided to sacrifice the useless Crobat. It hadn't been doing anything, and while I would have loved for it to sleep something with Hypnosis, assuming that move ever would hit for me, with Blissey hanging around most likely with Aromatherapy or Heal Bell, it was rather useless. Given that I had no moves to capitalize on switches, like Spikes or Stealth Rock, it was even further futile to keep Crobat alive. Cya, buddy. I send in Snorlax because I wanted to bait Lapras. I wasn't going to use Garchomp just yet because, obviously, I hadn't seen half of Nightmare's team, and even then both Lapras or Blissey could screw me over if I locked myself into Outrage. I did say I was baiting him. What for? Stupid Lapras and its Sheer Cold, that's what for!

Nightmare sent out Lapras.
Snorlax used Selfdestruct!
(100% Damage)
Lapras fainted.
Snorlax fainted.
skarm sent out Gyarados.
Gyarados's Intimidate cuts Blissey's attack.

5-4 Nightmare

So I promptly suckered in and removed Nightmare's OHKO user with a well placed Selfdestruct from my JAA Snorlax. I feel a lot safer now, although I know that with Blissey and Salamence around I'm still hard pressed, and I still hadn't seen the rest of his team. This could be very good, if his remaining Pokemon couldn't counter the bulk of mine, or very bad if they were late game sweepers just waiting for a chance. But first things first: Wiggle your big toe. Err, that damn Blissey matched with my Gyarados again. I figure that it is either going to Thunderbolt or Thunder Wave, so I swap to Garchomp since I don't have anything to take status anymore.

I can't very well leave Garchomp in against Blissey, though, since it may still pack Ice Beam, and the only move I've seen thus far was Thunder Wave. I swap to Gallade as Blissey uses COUNTER. In the words of Winnie the Pooh: Oh bother.

Still, Blissey can't very well take an Adamant Gallade's Close Combat, so I lob one Nightmare's way.

Nightmare sent out Charizard.
Gallade used Close Combat!
Its not very effective...
(80% Damage)
Gallade's Defense fell!
Gallade's Special Defense fell!

Whoa. That did a lot more than I was expecting. That and I wasn't expecting Charizard for any reason. I'm not sure what Nightmare is about to pull on me, but I figure I only have one reasonable counter to Charizard left. I switch out Gallade for Gyarados, which eats up a White Herb with its Intimidate, while Charizard creates a Sunny Day. Okay, my Gyarados is at 100% HP now thanks to Leftovers, and there's no way he can kill me.

Charizard used Solarbeam!
(50% Damage)
Gyarados used Waterfall!
Its super effective!
(20% Damage)
Charizard fainted.
Nightmare sent out Celebi.

4-4

I had no idea Charizard learned Solarbeam, but as I learned from my opponent after the match its a new move for Charizard in D/P. Ah well. It hurt quite a bit, and now I can't use Gyarados to reliably tank Salamence Dragon Claws which sucks. Then Nightmare sent out a Japanese Celebi, which scared the hell out of me. We all know from NetBattle that Celebi is one of the most dangerous Pokemon around given its diverse uses. I wasn't sure what was going to happen, but I did smirk a bit. The joke Pokemon, the Choice Specs Regice (yes, Choice Specs Regice), was still on my team.

I swapped out Gyarados for Regice as Celebi launched a Solarbeam since Sunlight was still out. It did around 30%, which was pretty decent, I suppose, given this was a Regice trained in HP and special defense. Celebi didn't stick around to get KO'd by Ice Beam, though, and it just retreated for Blissey. The Specs enhanced Ice Beam did a respectable 20% (lol). This next set took quite a few turns, but Blissey paralyzed me with Thunder Wave, and I kept using Ice Beam. Eventually, as it ended, Blissey was 100% HP.

Nightmare's Blissey used Seismic Toss!
(10% Damage)
Regice fainted!
skarm sent out Gallade.

4-3 Nightmare

There was really nothing I could do but sacrifice Regice to Blissey so that I could bring out Gallade. It still wasn't time for Garchomp yet - it was possible Blissey still had Ice Beam, and then again it sure as hell had Counter. I launch a Close Combat, fully expecting Celebi to come wall it. I had half debated switching to either Garchomp or Gyarados just to tackle Celebi since the Sunlight had disappeared, but thought better of it.

Nightmare sent out Swampert.
Gallade used Close Combat!
(90% Damage)
Gallade's Defense fell!
Gallade's Special Defense fell!

Wow. Gallade's Close Combat was tearing shit up, but then again I knew Nightmare played a lot more offensively than we ever did on NetBattle, so this was to be expected. I could have killed Swampert with Leaf Blade, which my Gallade also was packing, but my health was quite low and such moves would require another 10% of my dwindling health, which is the unfortunate downside of Life Orb. Besides, I'm still good. If I had killed Swampert, Salamence would get the drop on me and I couldn't tank a hit with anything. I swap Gallade for Gyarados, Intimidating Swampert, and take a Waterfall for more damage than I would have liked. Of course, I recover a bit with Leftovers.

I know what is coming. Blissey. And I know that I have to end this all right here. I can't even predict the switch and go back to Gallade, because Nightmare would just either sacrifice Swampert or bring in Celebi to take the Close Combat, and my health would dwindle further from Life Orb.

Nightmare withdrew Swampert.
Gyarados used Dragon Dance!
Gyarados's Attack rose!
Gyarados's Speed rose!

I Dragon Danced a second time while Nightmare hit me with Seismic Toss rather than Thunder Wave, which I think was quite a big mistake. I assume, however, he just thought I'd bring in Garchomp to eat the t-wave like I did the previous time. The end is coming and we both know it. We're both selecting our moves knowing these make or break our victory.

Gyarados used Waterfall!
(70% Damage)
Blissey used Thunder Wave!
Gyarados is paralyzed! It may not attack!

I didn't get the flinch I was hoping for, but I was still in a relatively good position and I was rather sure I was going to win barring an FP on the next turn. Instead, Nightmare switched and sacrificed Swampert to the Waterfall.

3-3

I know I'm going to win now, even when Nightmare brings in Salamence and Dragon Claws Gyarados to death.

3-2 Nightmare

Its easy for me, and sealed, pretty much. Blissey was in kill range for Garchomp, and of course the land shark is much faster than Salamence and Celebi could be. I bring out Holy War, my Jolly Garchomp, and get ready to tear some shit up.

Nightmare sent out Celebi.
Garchomp used Outrage!
(95% Damage)
--
Celebi used Protect!
It protected itself!
Garchomp used Outrage.
Celebi protected itself!
The attack missed.
--
Garchomp used Outrage!
(5% Damage)
Celebi fainted.
Garchomp became confused due to fatigue.
Nightmare sent out Salamence.

2-2

Celebi having Protect was something I didn't anticipate, and it nearly caught me off guard. If my Outrage had stopped at two turns I may have been in a very tight spot. I swapped Garchomp for Gallade, and let my noble swordsman die like a hero so that Garchomp could save the day.

2-1 Nightmare

Garchomp used Outrage!
Its super effective!
(15% Damage)
Salamence fainted.
--
Garchomp used Outrage!
(35% Damage)
Blissey fainted.
skarmCA won the game.

Result: 1-0 skarm

I thank Nightmare for the tough battle, and once again praise Garchomp, Gallade, and Gyarados, the 3 Gs, on their excellent performance. Snorlax did its part too, but Crobat, Regice. Go kill yourselves.

Great game, Nightmare.

<3 warstories.

You're right about the "no synergy" part though, nasty sweepers would've eaten any of your teams (Weavile comes to mind).

Most Fire types got Solarbeam with the generation shift (which is cool). As minister2 said, it's nice to see Gallade get a run around. I also liked seeing that Garchomp, whilst overhyped, is still a scary menace.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
As we've been saying on IRC for the past while, Gallade is actually pretty awesome. Excellent attack and special defense (though it won't survive fiercely boosted special hits) and a massive movepool. But I'm getting off-topic...

Quite a fierce battle, and nice to see it written up in a more readable form!

Way to make an original team with no Blissey and win. I love to see that shit. Awesome read. Nice sacrificing.

I'm not sure if I would have assploded Snorlax so quickly on a Lapras, but that's what makes me not a skarm. Very good battle, great read.

Hm...

Pneuma raises a good point. CBGallade would haev ripped up alot more in this match. Just something for you to consider, skarm.

Anyways, nice warstory. Snorlax and Regice are both definitely alot weaker in DP than ADV.

...but I will be stealing the format from some of the ones already posted by SePh, Lupo Aro, and Jibaku instead of coming up with something like I typically do.
That's okay I stole their formats anyway.

Anyway, great warstory, the usage of Gallade in particular.

Fun to read, makes it worse for me that I don't have wifi yet lol.

I love the sacrifices you made in this one Skarm. =D

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Great read Skarm! I'm glad to see my favourite pokemon rip shit on enemies, and i hope that it won't be considered as much of an inferior Heracross now. I agree with what the others said in that CBGallade would've served you better; after all CC was the only move that you used.

That's okay I stole their formats anyway.

Anyway, great warstory, the usage of Gallade in particular.
Heh, I took jibaku's first and expanded upon it a little bit to make it a more readable log. I've been using that same format ever since, I think it's great. Good story and great battle skarm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)