Skrelp

Name skrelp
Type poison water
Base-stats 50 60 60 60 60 30
Abilities poison point poison touch Ha adaptability
Move pool unconfirmed

I was looking around the lc forums and noticed that nobody made a forum for my favorite new special wall breaker now at first glance it's not too impressive but then you dig a little deeper and see the combination of of adaptability and hydropump and sludge wave along with cool moves such as dragon pulse and shadow ball
And a great new offensive and defensive typing typing thanks to poisons new buff only major problems being its horrendous speed and weakness to earthquake.though thanks to antar and the usage stats i have seen that skrelp iis the biggest check/counter to swirlix one of the biggest threats in the meta right now.

I could see a standard set being
Skrelp modest nature
Adaptability
Choice specs/life orb/berry juice
196 hp Evs 196 spA evs 116 spe
36 def Evs
Hydro pump
Sludge bomb
Shadow ball
T-bolt
With adaptability hydro pump hits a stunning 220 base power attack and sludge bomb hits 180 base power and a nift 30% chance to poison. shadow ball hits steel for neutral damage giving you perfect coverage and t -bolt is for hitting bulky water types harder all this coming off a impressive 24
Spa after choice specs or you can opt for a life orb berry juice alternative as life orb still gives you immpressive power while switching moves and berry juice you sacrifice power for recovery which is still a great trade off as sleep is still extremely powerful . Speed Evs so it can outspeed standard snubull and revenge kill it

Skrelp @ Eviolite
Ability: Adaptability
Level: 5
EVs: 116 Def / 196 SAtk / 196 SDef
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump/Toxic Spikes/Shadow Ball
This set is extremely bulky with a ton of ressistance sand the best fairy check in the tier we'll maybe besides tentacool. Adaptability is the preferred ability as it doubles the power making a very powerful wall. Scald is great for that amazing 30% burn chance and 160 base power after adaptability.
Sludge bomb is a powerful 180 Bp after adaptability and can poison too. T-bolt is there for other bulky waters. The last slot can go to three moves toxic is the preferred option with its new buff and makes him a better stall/wall. Another option is shadow ball to give him perfect coverage with the other three moves and makes him a better bulky attacker. While he can also do a supporting role with t-spikes for the entire team. Full credit for this set goes to attomicllamas

Offensive support

Skrelp @ berry juice
116 spe 196 hp 196 spA 36 def and spD
Toxic
Scald
Sludge wave
Toxic spikes

This set May at first seems our classed by tents cool who has better spe and Spd along with rapid spin but look again as sleepless boasts far better physical bulk better hp and the amazing adaptability combines with two amazing stabs together. All this and the fact that it has t-spikes can make skrelp one sexy mofo. Toxic is there to poison any flying types that go over t-spikes and with its new buff greatly helps al this. Surf is there for reliable move that doesn't interfere with its toxic poisoning. Sludge wave Is another powerful stab that also doesn't spread a unwanted side effect. Last but not least we have the crux of this set t-spikes which allows it to poison any non flying levitating poison and steel type out there and out if all that there are only croagunk and ferris red that would switch in. In conclusion although sorely may at first look outclassed by tentacool it can perform this role just as good and sometimes even better then it
Physical wall/support
Eviolite
Bold nature
196 hp 196 def 116 Spd 36 spe 36 spa
Adaptability
Toxic spikes
Scald
Sludge bomb
Toxic
This set takes place of the regular offensive sets and uses skrelp excellent defensive typing and stats to wall stuff and set up toxic spikes. Skrelp hits an excellent 24 def after eviolite with max investment and 18 special def. this set is a great check to the many fighting types that have plagued lc in the past thanks to its poison. Typing. Further more this set is great against opposing walls thanks to toxic and t-spikes.
Scald and sludge bomb are there for strong reliable stab moves that have a nifty side effect. T-spikesis there to support the team and cripple opposing walls switching in. This set is best used on stall teams and the like.

Skrelp
Specially defensive/support
Calm
196 spd 196 hp 36 spe 116 spa 36 def
Toxic
T-spikes
Scald
Sludge bomb
This set does everything the set above does but on the special side. Except for the fact that this is the only 100% counter to swirlix
When at full health.

Last edited:

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I too love Skrelp (even though LC has a ton of tentacool fanboys apparently). However, I think that you could achieve a better set with Skrelp than the one you have listed. The set I've been using that I've had a lot of success with is a sort of special tank.

Skrelp @ Eviolite
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Thunderbolt

Remember that in LC 252/252/4 is pretty much never an efficient spread as it takes an arbitrary number related to the base stat to gain the first point, then 80 EVs to gain a point in the same stat after wards (I hope that makes sense, I know it can be confusing but this explains it). I find that Skrelp's usefulness comes from having an awesome typing and enough bulk to check/counter certain fairies (looking at you Swirlix) while still hitting hard, because it's STABs are really nice. I personally find that scald is my water STAB of choice to burn random physical threats trying to eat a Sludge Bomb on the switch, and especially in LC I would recommend Sludge Bomb over Sludge Wave, as due to the low HP of your opponents the damage difference is negligible, but that 30% poison chance is so sweet.

All in all, I find that Skrelp does pretty decently at its job of countering Swirlix/taking some hits/hitting hard and is a decent option for a more offensive Tentacool (they do different things people, js).

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
I too love Skrelp (even though LC has a ton of tentacool fanboys apparently). However, I think that you could achieve a better set with Skrelp than the one you have listed. The set I've been using that I've had a lot of success with is a sort of special tank.

Skrelp @ Eviolite
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Thunderbolt

Remember that in LC 252/252/4 is pretty much never an efficient spread as it takes an arbitrary number related to the base stat to gain the first point, then 80 EVs to gain a point in the same stat after wards (I hope that makes sense, I know it can be confusing but this explains it). I find that Skrelp's usefulness comes from having an awesome typing and enough bulk to check/counter certain fairies (looking at you Swirlix) while still hitting hard, because it's STABs are really nice. I personally find that scald is my water STAB of choice to burn random physical threats trying to eat a Sludge Bomb on the switch, and especially in LC I would recommend Sludge Bomb over Sludge Wave, as due to the low HP of your opponents the damage difference is negligible, but that 30% poison chance is so sweet.

All in all, I find that Skrelp does pretty decently at its job of countering Swirlix/taking some hits/hitting hard and is a decent option for a more offensive Tentacool (they do different things people, js).
This is by far the best check to Swirlix I have seen so far. STAB Adaptability Sludge Bomb makes even a +1 Swirlix shit its pants. And to be sure you beat Swirlix, Calm nature and Eviolite is definitely the way to go. That Scald is very painful, in addition to the 30% Burn rate, and it keeps Ground types from freely switching in to threaten Skrelp with their STAB Earthquake. STAB Adaptability Hydro Pump is a nightmare for just about any switch-in. I love this set and I hope to see Skrelp used more often as a Fairy check, as it is an awesome mon and definitely deserves high usage in my opinion.

This is by far the best check to Swirlix I have seen so far. STAB Adaptability Sludge Bomb makes even a +1 Swirlix shit its pants. And to be sure you beat Swirlix, Calm nature and Eviolite is definitely the way to go. That Scald is very painful, in addition to the 30% Burn rate, and it keeps Ground types from freely switching in to threaten Skrelp with their STAB Earthquake. STAB Adaptability Hydro Pump is a nightmare for just about any switch-in. I love this set and I hope to see Skrelp used more often as a Fairy check, as it is an awesome mon and definitely deserves high usage in my opinion.
Pretty sure it's a solid fairy counter. Swirlix can't switch in for sure, Snubbul maybe can without getting OHKO'd by like Scald, but then it'll get OHKO'd next turn.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
This is the set I use

Skrelp @ Berry Juice
EVs: 196 SAtk / 116 SDef / 36 Def / 116 Spd / 36 HP
Modest Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Thunderbolt

With 116 Speed, you outrun the standard Snubbull so you can legitimately switch in on Play Rough without being punished by an Earthquake to the face next turn.

Skrelp @ Eviolite
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Thunderbolt

Thanks for the formula page I didn't know about it and also thanks for replying to this thread it's my first big one anyways the the set I used was more for a wall breaker but I will add your set to the op as a alternative defensive set and I changed sludge wave to bomb for those great reasons

This is the set I use

Skrelp @ Berry Juice
EVs: 196 SAtk / 116 SDef / 36 Def / 116 Spd / 36 HP
Modest Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Hydro pump/scald
- hydro pump/scald/shadow ball
- Thunderbolt

With 116 Speed, you outrun the standard Snubbull so you can legitimately switch in on Play Rough without being punished by an Earthquake to the face next turn.
This is what the set should be I would suggest switching scald or h-pump for shadow ball as you don't need two water stabs and shadow ball will give you perfect coverage

Last edited:
I changed to be like that it was different before
Ah.

The reason he has two STAB's is that sometimes it's annoying to rely on Hydro Pump's accuracy, so you'd prefer to use Scald. On the other hand, sometimes you need the power Hydro Pump has.

Ah.

The reason he has two STAB's is that sometimes it's annoying to rely on Hydro Pump's accuracy, so you'd prefer to use Scald. On the other hand, sometimes you need the power Hydro Pump has.
That's why I made it a slag and added shadow ball as it makes perfect coverage and scald can be a great alternative for accuracy and burn chance while hydro pump for pure power

That's why I made it a slag and added shadow ball as it makes perfect coverage and scald can be a great alternative for accuracy and burn chance while hydro pump for pure power
You're missing the point of what I just said. He has both because both are useful in different situations. Wanna revenge that Ground-type? Use Scald. Need to smack something as hard as possible? Use Hydro Pump.

Also, Hydro Pump is hitting anything harder than Shadow Ball...

Adaptability mons don't need coverage in general because usually a resisted STAB will hit harder than a neutral coverage move

Edit: let me demonstrate

Hydro pump is 120 base power. Adaptability STAB makes it 240. On a resisted hit this will do 240/2 (=120) shadow Ball is only 80 base power, which means a resisted hydro pump is still 1.5x stronger than a neutral shadow ball.

And sludge wave hits the grass/ghost

I really get the feeling you don't even understand what we're saying

Last edited:
B
You're missing the point of what I just said. He has both because both are useful in different situations. Wanna revenge that Ground-type? Use Scald. Need to smack something as hard as possible? Use Hydro Pump.

Also, Hydro Pump is hitting anything harder than Shadow Ball...
but ressisted hits and hits ghost typed harder and gives him perfect coverage while it can be useful to have both like your saying it in my opinion is better having one or the other that's why I put it in slashes

B

but ressisted hits and hits ghost typed harder and gives him perfect coverage while it can be useful to have both like your saying it in my opinion is better having one or the other that's why I put it in slashes
Could you give me an example of something that Shadow Ball hits? Right now, I'm not seeing anything that Sludge Bomb or Hydro Pump don't hit harder...

Ok good point I'll slash scald hydro pump and shadow ball will that be a good compromize
also i just realized this thing is the new darmanitan but for special attackers

Last edited:
Could you give me an example of something that Shadow Ball hits? Right now, I'm not seeing anything that Sludge Bomb or Hydro Pump don't hit harder...
Frillish. That being said, I would never ever use Shadow Ball in this metagame though, it makes no sense.

What is the advantage of having Sludge Bomb over Sludge Wave out of curiosity?

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
Frillish. That being said, I would never ever use Shadow Ball in this metagame though, it makes no sense.

What is the advantage of having Sludge Bomb over Sludge Wave out of curiosity?
higher poison chance, but it makes little difference

Everyone if your gonna criticize move pls leave a different one and a reason also this things hydro pump may be the single strongest unboosted attack in lc

Edit:meditites high jump kick beats it

Last edited:

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Squabbling aside, Skrelp is pretty cool. It's both strong and bulky, which means it'll definitely have a niche in LC. On top of that, it has room on its sets to run Toxic Spikes without having to sacrifice a precious moveslot because Water/Poison has really good coverage. This allows you to run something like Toxic Spikes / Water STAB / Sludge Bomb / coverage move of choice or additional Water STAB. With that last slot, Shadow Ball is probably better neutrally than Thunderbolt, as it allows you to nail Frillish as well as hit Ferroseed neutrally if you ever find yourself needing to finish it off. Thunderbolt would be nice for bulky Water-types, but I'm sure Adaptability Sludge Bomb does a good number to Staryu, and you can't hit Chinchou with Thunderbolt anyways.

I also don't really think Choice Specs is worth it on Skrelp. You get some nice additional power, but at the expense of enhancing its great bulk/typing with Eviolite. Sludge Bomb is also much better than Sludge Wave. At the cost of 5 BP (10 if you factor in Adaptability STAB), you get an additional 20% chance to poison the foe. I know that neither of the sets in the OP have Sludge Wave, but I saw it mentioned.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Squabbling aside, Skrelp is pretty cool. It's both strong and bulky, which means it'll definitely have a niche in LC. On top of that, it has room on its sets to run Toxic Spikes without having to sacrifice a precious moveslot because Water/Poison has really good coverage. This allows you to run something like Toxic Spikes / Water STAB / Sludge Bomb / coverage move of choice or additional Water STAB. With that last slot, Shadow Ball is probably better neutrally than Thunderbolt, as it allows you to nail Frillish as well as hit Ferroseed neutrally if you ever find yourself needing to finish it off. Thunderbolt would be nice for bulky Water-types, but I'm sure Adaptability Sludge Bomb does a good number to Staryu, and you can't hit Chinchou with Thunderbolt anyways.

I also don't really think Choice Specs is worth it on Skrelp. You get some nice additional power, but at the expense of enhancing its great bulk/typing with Eviolite. Sludge Bomb is also much better than Sludge Wave. At the cost of 5 BP (10 if you factor in Adaptability STAB), you get an additional 20% chance to poison the foe. I know that neither of the sets in the OP have Sludge Wave, but I saw it mentioned.
Hmm that's a good point about t-bolt, as sludge bomb hits as hard as a super effective t-bolt. I am on my phone, but as far as I'm aware poison/water has perfect neutral coverage barring Ferroseed and Croagunk. You honestly might as well carry HP fire for those two, as it hits both way harder than shadow ball.

Edit: nevermind forgot Skrelp and Tentacool, lmao, HP fire is still an option though.

Also for note: Skrelp does learn so decent egg-moves that would allow it to run a type of support instead of 4 attacks.

Notable moves-
Acid Armor
Venom Drench
Toxic Spikes

So you could run a very defensive Skrelp with Toxic Spikes and 3 attacks.
Or If Venom Drench See's some use (-1 to Atk/S.Atk/Spe if target is poisoned) it could block a swirlix who's already CM + Unburdened.
Acid armor sounds meh, but a +2 Defense would be quite helpful if you predict a switch to a melee counter.

Thats a good point on specs I'll though I kept it just because it's even more powerful than ban darmanatans flare blitz but that aside I'll slash it for some other offensive items such as life orb or b-juice thank you very much

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)