Sleep Talk strategy and statistics

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
While I can greatly appreciate Obi's effort and vast intelligence, I don't really get the point of this thread.

This isn't some new breakthrough its just common sense. Simple math..
a lot of people have trouble remembering the probabilities of waking from non-rest sleep, and last i checked they arent listed on the status/sleep talk analyses..

good work obi!

One issue that comes up for me a lot (with a RestTalking OU Cresselia) is what to do when the best move is actually Rest, and the other two moves (attacks) are both better than nothing, but not as good as Rest. (If I'm in a situation where the opponent can 4HKO my Cresselia but can't 3HKO, and the opponent has a sleeping move, if I can Rest I can get the timings right for the rest of the battle, and gradually wear the opponent down.) The issue there is that Sleep Talk selecting Rest, of course, does nothing as Rest doesn't work while asleep; so is it best then to choose Sleep Talk if I have no chance of waking up, and Rest otherwise, or do I choose Sleep Talk on the first turn I might wake up and Rest after that?

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
While I can greatly appreciate Obi's effort and vast intelligence, I don't really get the point of this thread.

This isn't some new breakthrough its just common sense. Simple math..
The thread title is "Sleep Talk strategy and statistics" not "Major breakthrough! Will revolutionize Pokemon!". And it's not common sense or simple math, based on the fact that most people Sleep Talk every turn they are asleep, unless they have a guaranteed chance to wake up, when the math shows that this is never the optimal move.

rest only last 2 turns right ??
so what is with this 1-4 turns stuff ; in my experience with rest-sleeptalk i only sleeptalk 2 turns and then i attack or wisp them again.
or am i missing something here?

rest only last 2 turns right ??
so what is with this 1-4 turns stuff ; in my experience with rest-sleeptalk i only sleeptalk 2 turns and then i attack or wisp them again.
or am i missing something here?
For Rest, that's true, right. However, this thread is talking about using Sleep Talk when you're hit with a Sleep-causing move like Hypnosis or Sing. That Sleep can last 1-4 turns.

WECAMEASROMANS

Banned deucer.
Very intelligent thread. However, I have one small little request to ask. Most people, including me, do not ever use sleep talk without rest. That being said, I am wondering if you could write up a rest + sleep talk stragety thread. I'm sure many other people would find it more beneficial.

Anyways, great thread. Good job as always Obi.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I included Sleep Talk from Rest-induced sleep. You have a 0% chance to wake up the first two turns (so the strategy is the same as a non-Early Bird Pokemon using Sleep Talk on the very first turn), and you have a 100% chance to wake up after that, so the strategy is the same as the final turn of sleep (in which you're guaranteed to awake). In other words, you pretty much want to Sleep Talk twice.

Thanks for posting this, Obi. I've always thought about this on the occasions when my Rest/Talk pokemon get put to sleep by an enemy, but I've never put the time into figuring out the exact statistics. I always knew that at some point it would be more advantageous to select the attacking move over Sleep Talk, but I never knew exactly when.

So TLDR; probability dictates you should sleep talk for two turns and then try to do something else. That's pretty helpful.

Thanks OP. :)

If you're choiced and you choose Sleep Talk, you will struggle next turn (or fail). So, yes - switch out after use.
I know that you would definitely want to switch out after you wake up. My question was when is the optimal time to switch? Would you rather wait until you wake up and have Sleep Talk fail once, or would you switch out and risk having it be asleep for a turn when you switched it back in and used a different move?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)